• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts
Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 09, 2012, 10:37:45 AM
Oh, Ian...you're supposed to be the intellectual one.  But surfer zen and a shrink with an angel fetish?  And what's with the gushing over that pointless promo video of uberSurfer?

He's mentioned several times that both his teenage sons are very much into swimming.  My guess is that father + sons wish they were surfer dudes.  But there is no ocean near MN.  Maybe after 12-21-12.  (joking)

Zircon

Quote from: Oversoul on July 09, 2012, 09:29:42 PM
In the context of Ian Punnett being an active Episcopalian Deacon, does anyone here know or recall if Punnett favored same-sex marriages or, at the least, accepted homosexuality morally, theologically and societally?

I ask the question curiously in the light of the current news item "Episcopal bishops OK trial gay blessing prayer," carried today by:
Any info or recollection from Ian's show episodes at C2C or elsewhere publicly?
Good question but are you sure "favored" is the proper term? "Accepting" might be more in line with his personal philosophy. To be truthful ... I haven't heard one way or the other on this. This picture referred to by HAL might suggest his feelings on the matter. Pointing it out.

BobGrau

Last night I listened to Ian's most recent show, the surfer + angel person. Well, to be accurate I listened to the first hour. I couldn't stomach the angel person for long.

Anyway, did anyone catch Ian's ghost story?

CoastCanuck

Quote from: BobGrau on July 12, 2012, 11:06:24 AM
I just listened to it... kind of weird, but the part that struck me the most is that it took him over 7 minutes to tell the story...  I kept saying...'get on with it'.

HAL 9000

Seems to me, long ago, I posted the Ian vs. Quayle smackdown series, which included the contentious show in which Quayle was a pompous ass. The following weekend, Ian apologized on two successive nights.

Well, I found those three shows in an archive I made four years ago - yes, hard to believe, but this happened about four-and-a-quarter years ago.

Here then, is the link in which you'll find all three shows:
http://www.mediafire.com/?d76amwhnh177heg

Quote from: BobGrau on July 12, 2012, 11:06:24 AM
Last night I listened to Ian's most recent show, the surfer + angel person. Well, to be accurate I listened to the first hour. I couldn't stomach the angel person for long.

Yeah like CC said it was a 7 minute story of "a door closed by itself".

WOTR

This is true.  However, I will take Ian talking about a door close for seven minutes given the alternatives.  I could listen to 7 minutes of Wells grunting, making false starts, stuttering, sputtering, dead air and finally managing to get a question out to the guest.  I could listen to 7 minutes of George mangling the English language while talking about mutilated dead children and agreeing with every last word his guest utters (even when he agreed with last nights guest taking a complete opposite stance.)

No sir, give me another seven minutes of self closing door on an undisclosed island any day.

Oversoul

Quote from: WOTR on July 26, 2012, 05:42:13 AM
This is true.  However, I will take Ian talking about a door close for seven minutes given the alternatives.  I could listen to 7 minutes of Wells grunting, making false starts, stuttering, sputtering, dead air and finally managing to get a question out to the guest. 
x     x     x

Sometimes, you wonder if Wells is having a heart attack, constipation, or some serious breathing problem on the air, when he does those things.  :o

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Oversoul on July 09, 2012, 07:47:10 PM
I don't understand why Punnett lets his personal religious and/or moral beliefs as an Episcopalian Deacon get in the way of his hosting Coast To Coast.  The show is not a church pulpit or a radio Christian fundamentalist/evangelical program.  Why does he have to wear his Masters of Divinity seminary degree like a crown on his head (an observable syndrome common to afflicted Masters and doctorate degree holders)?  Can't he simply function as an impartial, objective and professional radio program host?  :-\

Please, please, not more of the other Stooges on C2C, particularly those two hams.  :-[

so what if his religious beliefs come through as he hosts.  it's just a part of who ian is.  his beliefs are no more or less valid than 3/4 of the shit they talk about on that show, anyway.  it's not like anything precious is being tainted.

ziznak

Quote from: HAL 9000 on July 26, 2012, 12:48:03 AM
Here then, is the link in which you'll find all three shows:
http://www.mediafire.com/?d76amwhnh177heg
I've only heard/read you guys talk about this here on the boards and I've been dying to hear the related material.   thanks!

Oversoul

Quote from: MV on July 26, 2012, 09:01:13 AM
so what if his religious beliefs come through as he hosts.  it's just a part of who ian is.  his beliefs are no more or less valid than 3/4 of the shit they talk about on that show, anyway.  it's not like anything precious is being tainted.

True, nothing precious is tainted.   

But it just makes Punnett sound self-righteous when he does it to a caller or guest -- like a pulpit moral chastisement of the congregation member or the public berating of a sinner in the flock.  Not a good image for a supposedly impartial and gracious host of an open talk show.  It might be okay if the show or host is clearly pursuing an avowed agenda, as is normally the case for a political talk show.

Just my personal impression of style when he does that.  It leaves a bad after-taste, like when Noory pontificates about his personal religious beliefs in God or about the righteousness of his unforgiving nature toward a wrongdoer, in the middle of an interview, many times of which are out of place to begin with.  They make things squirmy in the seat when they do that, and they momentarily light up a WTF? bulb in the mind.

b_dubb

I have never heard Ian preach during a Coast show

When is Ian on again? 

I expect our true cime and comic book expert to mount a stiring defense of violence in movies, TV, video games, and rap music, and how that couldn't possibly influence anyone to commit violent crimes in general, or the Aurora Batman movie massacre in particular.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 27, 2012, 08:48:02 PM
When is Ian on again? 

I expect our true cime and comic book expert to mount a stiring defense of violence in movies, TV, video games, and rap music, and how that couldn't possibly influence anyone to commit violent crimes in general, or the Aurora Batman movie massacre in particular.

Listen to Ian's two interviews with Dave Cullen, who spent 10 years researching Columbine and uncovering the myths that have pervaded the media and hence society regarding the alleged causes of that tragedy.

After listening to Cullen, you just might side with anyone who doesn't bite at the media-driven hype over video games, bullying, etc. 

The country got sold a lot of crapola regarding Columbine, starting with who the mastermind really was. 

Morgus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 27, 2012, 08:48:02 PM
When is Ian on again? 
Ian now hosts only the second Sunday night of each month and occasional fillins for Noory when he takes a Friday off.

Rasputin

Did Ian retire for good? I have not heard him for over a month.

Morgus

Quote from: Rasputin on August 07, 2012, 02:18:02 AM
Did Ian retire for good? I have not heard him for over a month.
Ian cut back to one c2c show a month, he does the second Sunday of the month so he hosts this coming weekend.

First Half: Ian Punnett is joined by Prof. David Barash who'll discuss evolutionary mysteries, and explorations into things that we don't yet know about humanity.

2nd Half: Religious scholar and Egyptologist, David Elkington, will give an update on the Jordan Codices, ancient books that could change the world’s view of biblical history. He'll share how the books make a case for the resurrection of Christ and depict the earliest known image of him.

Quote from: 999 on August 10, 2012, 09:55:10 AM
First Half: Ian Punnett is joined by Prof. David Barash who'll discuss evolutionary mysteries, and explorations into things that we don't yet know about humanity.

2nd Half: Religious scholar and Egyptologist, David Elkington, will give an update on the Jordan Codices, ancient books that could change the world’s view of biblical history. He'll share how the books make a case for the resurrection of Christ and depict the earliest known image of him.

That's tonight's show, 8/12/12. Forgot to put the date....

SheilaVG

Ian is a different sort of animal than the original or even current hosts. The basis of everything he does is a professed faith in God and Good. That may very well be the case with Noory also who will alternate saying he is Catholic with saying he is "spriritual" (I prefer either one to any more blather about the "wireless Internet) so Ian brings into the mix a different sensibility. He is more about learning new things, being respectful, having fun and not going too far. I enjoy the fact that, even though some of his topics bore me, he doesn't even touch aliens and cow mutilations and all that. C2C may not even be the best place for him but he is there and he is a breath of fresh air. And remember, before there was Simple Snoory there was Ian the Man 8).

ziznak

did this guy just say he had some sort of official study that showed ovulating strippers make more money compared to when they are raggin or on the pill?

Quote from: SheilaVG on August 12, 2012, 07:59:09 PM
... Ian brings into the mix a different sensibility. He is more about learning new things, being respectful...

Oh yes, respectful.  That's the first thing that comes to mind when I thnk of Ian Punnett.  Especially to callers that have different opinions than he does, disagree with him, or worse - call in with comments about the topic that he didn't think of. 

Ian is also very respectful when guests and callers don't laugh at his jokes or when they try to be clever themselves.

stevesh

Quote from: ziznak on August 13, 2012, 12:44:48 AM
did this guy just say he had some sort of official study that showed ovulating strippers make more money compared to when they are raggin or on the pill?

Actually, Ian brought it up first, and I remember the news about the study when it came out. Pheremones, I'm thinking.

stevesh

I have to admit that Ian's shows come as a breath of fresh air now after five nights of Simple George and one of Johnny Danger.

If we could cure him of his Twitter obsession, he'd be a lot better, though. Twice last night, he wasted minutes that could have been spent talking to the guests giving shout-outs to his new BFFs on Twitter. Guy comes across as a geeky teenager sometimes.

WOTR

Quote from: Lovely Bones on July 29, 2012, 11:19:30 AM
Listen to Ian's two interviews with Dave Cullen, who spent 10 years researching Columbine and uncovering the myths that have pervaded the media and hence society regarding the alleged causes of that tragedy.

After listening to Cullen, you just might side with anyone who doesn't bite at the media-driven hype over video games, bullying, etc. 
I just went and looked... that is one of the books that I recently finished.  It was a good read and well worth the time.  Now I may need to look up his interviews.

I can pinpoint my general hatred of the media to the day of Columbine.  I had the day off school and tuned into CNN for awhile.  It was in the middle of Columbine and the announcers were already telling us that the events they were broadcasting live could likely be tied in with violent video games.  At that moment I realized that the mainstream media was 1000% worse than any video game.  They were broadcasting images of the school live.  They were hoping to hell to have a few kids shot to death (probably the preference would be for a couple of head shots for the image and a couple of sever woundings so that they could follow the injured with their cameras as they crawled for shelter and show them slowly die for drama.  What better way to tug on the nations heart strings than show a innocent kid bleed out alone and abandoned while crying for their mama when just 200 yards away the paramedics sit helpless?)

I sat there thinking they could have put a time delay on the broadcast.  They could have done updates every 5 minutes.  Instead they were broadcasting it live to their audience while they talked about the violence in video games and fictional television.  Not only that- but the audience who were likely all nodding their heads in agreement against the violent video games were all, without exception watching for the live drama  A nation of Hippocrates sitting on the edge of their collective seats waiting for a round of gunfire in order to experience watching a child die on television.  Just like a movie with all of the tension and drama and they could still remain self righteous claiming they were just keeping up with the news while condemning the violence on television (God, I love that image...) 

As for CNN, it was the equivalent of a station broadcasting the slaughter at the Colosseum while telling the Romans that the horrors they were watching were the results of a nation printing graphic comic books depicting violence.  They were really scraping the bottom of the moral barrel that day while attempting to appear completely innocent.

The book pretty much confirmed everything that I thought and then some.  It was well researched, well presented and made you think.

WOTR

Quote from: stevesh on August 13, 2012, 03:34:42 AM
I have to admit that Ian's shows come as a breath of fresh air now after five nights of Simple George and one of Johnny Danger.
It as also kind of nice to have him cut the guest short.  When the guy basically went on about how he cannot reveal what they text says, who is working on it, and a raft of other things that have to remain secret for now he was limited to the hour.  Ian basically asked him to come back when he can discuss things and answer questions instead of just rehashing the exact content that he has presented in past shows.  While I do not care for open lines, that was kind of nice to let the guest know that you have to bring some fresh material for a new show when you appear.

Ian asked him point blank (I am paraphrasing) What good does it do to have you appear to tell us about all the things you cannot talk about?

Well now we can compare GNoory's interview with Sam Kean on August 2 (2nd half of the show)
and Ian's interview with Dr. Barash on August 12. Some similarity in topics but handled differently.

El Kragen

Quote from: WOTR on August 13, 2012, 04:46:14 AM
It as also kind of nice to have him cut the guest short.  When the guy basically went on about how he cannot reveal what they text says, who is working on it, and a raft of other things that have to remain secret for now he was limited to the hour.  Ian basically asked him to come back when he can discuss things and answer questions instead of just rehashing the exact content that he has presented in past shows.  While I do not care for open lines, that was kind of nice to let the guest know that you have to bring some fresh material for a new show when you appear.

Ian asked him point blank (I am paraphrasing) What good does it do to have you appear to tell us about all the things you cannot talk about?

Nice!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: WOTR on August 13, 2012, 04:36:34 AM
I just went and looked... that is one of the books that I recently finished.  It was a good read and well worth the time.  Now I may need to look up his interviews.

I can pinpoint my general hatred of the media to the day of Columbine.  I had the day off school and tuned into CNN for awhile.  It was in the middle of Columbine and the announcers were already telling us that the events they were broadcasting live could likely be tied in with violent video games.  At that moment I realized that the mainstream media was 1000% worse than any video game.  They were broadcasting images of the school live.  They were hoping to hell to have a few kids shot to death (probably the preference would be for a couple of head shots for the image and a couple of sever woundings so that they could follow the injured with their cameras as they crawled for shelter and show them slowly die for drama.  What better way to tug on the nations heart strings than show a innocent kid bleed out alone and abandoned while crying for their mama when just 200 yards away the paramedics sit helpless?)

I sat there thinking they could have put a time delay on the broadcast.  They could have done updates every 5 minutes.  Instead they were broadcasting it live to their audience while they talked about the violence in video games and fictional television.  Not only that- but the audience who were likely all nodding their heads in agreement against the violent video games were all, without exception watching for the live drama  A nation of Hippocrates sitting on the edge of their collective seats waiting for a round of gunfire in order to experience watching a child die on television.  Just like a movie with all of the tension and drama and they could still remain self righteous claiming they were just keeping up with the news while condemning the violence on television (God, I love that image...) 

As for CNN, it was the equivalent of a station broadcasting the slaughter at the Colosseum while telling the Romans that the horrors they were watching were the results of a nation printing graphic comic books depicting violence.  They were really scraping the bottom of the moral barrel that day while attempting to appear completely innocent.

The book pretty much confirmed everything that I thought and then some.  It was well researched, well presented and made you think.
It is a good book and I concur completely with your comments. I remember Tuesday April 20, 1999 like it was yesterday and watching the coverage unfold on CNN or MSNBC that afternoon. The misreporting and speculation was rife. "30 dead" with the media bummed out when it was merely a dozen. The immediate demonization of video games, "The Matrix", Marilyn Manson, KMFDM, and even Alice Cooper's "Black Widow"! The "trench coat" mafia roaming the halls of the schools killing jocks and the cool clique like some real life cross of "Massacre At Central High" meets "Heathers"

Or the "4/20" links...meaning the kids were neo-Nazis or stoners or militia members or leftists.And gay lovers. Or big Stephen Stills fans.  One of the above I guess.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: WOTR on August 13, 2012, 04:46:14 AM
It as also kind of nice to have him cut the guest short.  When the guy basically went on about how he cannot reveal what they text says, .....
Agreed.
I went to sleep before that exchange happened, then woke up in hour 4 with Punnett commenting on how the guest had only done 1 hour, and I thought it must have been a technical glitch, or even worse, some interpersonal strife .... but I dozed off again.   I woke up again with hour 3 re-playing (I was listening to KFI's stream, which like so many others are FREE) and heard him softly "confront" the guest with that line and I was oddly proud of the Doofus Deacon.
That "I can't comment on that now" bit gets old quick.  Makes me wonder who called whom for the show booking.