• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

BobGrau

I think the fecal thing could've been quite interesting, but a whole show? No ta. Superheroes? I could happily listen to comic-book discussions till the end of time (or at least till the next re-launch)... but I realise I'm in the minority there.

I like Ian, and I'm looking forward to the show, but geeez this is Ian's pet topic - he's going to be hyper as fuck. Hardcore fans only, I suspect.

ziznak

I've actually gotten back into comics a lot lately.  Not the actual comic books but the .cbr and .cbz file viewer versions.

McPhallus

Quote from: ziznak on June 08, 2012, 01:32:15 PM
I've actually gotten back into comics a lot lately.  Not the actual comic books but the .cbr and .cbz file viewer versions.

I remember being into comics back in the late 80s.  Mylar bags, acid-free backing boards, handling them like they were religious artifacts.  But each year they seemed to get more expensive and less interesting in content.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: BobGrau on June 08, 2012, 12:21:02 PM

I like Ian, and I'm looking forward to the show, but geeez this is Ian's pet topic - he's going to be hyper as fuck. Hardcore fans only, I suspect.

That's okay by me.  I am a hardcore fan, and one of the reasons is that I groove on history, religion, and a lot of quirky topics that make Ian hyper as fuck. 

Harmness

Me, too.  I'll be listening pillar to post.

BobGrau

I might leave it for a few weeks - I have a feeling there won't be many more Punnett shows, so I've been rationing them.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 03, 2012, 04:00:53 PM
Fecal America

Sun 06-10

Joining Ian Punnett, author Richard Kestler will discuss his new book Fecal America.  After seeing reports that most shopping carts, everyday office equipment such as phones and keyboards, and nearly everything else within reach often contain measureable quantities of human fecal matter, the author conducted his own investigation with shocking and often disgusting results.

In the first hour, graphic novel analyst Chester Williams will provide insight into the fantastic worlds of gay superheroes and their impact on pop culture.

Okay, when I wrote this I thought it would be a fun little spoof of Ian and his topics.  I expected a chuckle or two and maybe a few denouncements.  No one even questioned it.  The book and guests were completely made up.

George's shit show has long been well beyond the point of parody and satire.   I think this is further evidence Ian and his shows are as well.

I apoligize to anyone disappointed to learn Ian won't be covering shit in America or gay superheros this weekend.  At least I don't think he will.

BobGrau

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 08, 2012, 06:25:52 PM

Okay, when I wrote this I thought it would be a fun little spoof of Ian and his topics.  I expected a chuckle or two and maybe a few denouncements.  No one even questioned it.  The book and guests were completely made up.

George's shit show has long been well beyond the point of parody and satire.   I think this is further evidence Ian and his shows are as well.

I apoligize to anyone disappointed to learn Ian won't be covering shit in America or gay superheros this weekend.  At least I don't think he will.

;D nice.

I guess we can add homophobia to your rather limited resume.  Fear of gays and redundant, non-humorous posting - brought to you by Paper*Boy, who much like the papers he delivers, long ago wore out his welcome.

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 08, 2012, 08:01:04 PM
I guess we can add homophobia...

That's sure a stretch.  I guess you haven't noticed calling people racists or homophobes or whatever else is so overdone it doesn't really work much anymore?

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 08, 2012, 08:01:04 PM
... redundant...

Yeah, you keep saying that.

ziznak

We didnt question it because we're too used to seeing stupid crap on C2C not cause we thought maybe Ian just got stuck with a "shitty" show.  That doesn't seem to happen with him actually.  I don't get yer lil vendetta against Ian it makes you seem a bit like a dick really.

11angeleyes11

It's plain, PaperBoy delivers the National Enquirer.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 08, 2012, 11:12:28 PM

That's sure a stretch.  I guess you haven't noticed calling people racists or homophobes or whatever else is so overdone it doesn't really work much anymore?

Yeah, you keep saying that.
Overdone? That's rich.  Because, you know, your posts about Ian are just so fresh, and nuanced, and insightful. 

You are the Robin Williams of this thread.  Your material is so old and hackneyed, it almost defies description. After a blessed fortnight of your absence, you decided to return (despite popular opinion). Your contribution - a cheesy fake post about an upcoming Ian show, that garnered a paltry handful of responses.
Oh, how the cheers of joy must have rung out in Paperboy's hovel, knowing that he duped three people on the Internet!  Soon, he will supplant Fort Rock as this forum's most annoying purveyor of mindless tedium, he will become a veritable emperor of phony posts, his single minded focus will become Alejandroesque (tm RealCool Daddio Inc.).  He will reach the absolute apex of full blown douche- baggery!

Or maybe he'll just post some more bullshit about how terrible Ian is for wanting to "have a conversation".

Quote from: ziznak on June 08, 2012, 11:18:29 PM
  We didnt question it because we're too used to seeing stupid crap on C2C not cause we thought maybe Ian just got stuck with a "shitty" show.  That doesn't seem to happen with him actually.  I don't get yer lil vendetta against Ian it makes you seem a bit like a dick really.

Yeah, that was the point - Ian and his shows aren't usually much better than George Noory and his shows, just a different kind of suckage. 

Ian doesn't do lousy shows?  This is a little dated since I finally gave up and quit listening to him awhile back, but how about the Horse Man shows, the shows on dirt and flotsam (or was it jetsam?), interviewing 'Jesus', the zombie show, comic books, true crime, completely brown-nosing any 'star' he can lure onto the show, on and on. 

Ian has done his part to help ruin a once great show.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 09, 2012, 12:28:21 AM
Overdone? That's rich.  Because, you know, your posts about Ian are just so fresh, and nuanced, and insightful. 

[respectfully snipped]

Or maybe he'll just post some more bullshit about how terrible Ian is for wanting to "have a conversation".

Bingo.  And I believe he's on the cusp of proving you correct. 

BobGrau

Paperboy, I'm begining to think you ARE ian punnett. You display a certain tenacity that seems strangely familiar  ;)

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 09, 2012, 07:52:12 AM

Yeah, that was the point - Ian and his shows aren't usually much better than George Noory and his shows, just a different kind of suckage. 

Ian doesn't do lousy shows?  This is a little dated since I finally gave up and quit listening to him awhile back, but how about the Horse Man shows, the shows on dirt and flotsam (or was it jetsam?), interviewing 'Jesus', the zombie show, comic books, true crime, completely brown-nosing any 'star' he can lure onto the show, on and on. 

Ian has done his part to help ruin a once great show.

You've made your point.  More than once. Hence RCD's "redundant" label.  You don't add anything new to the conversation re Ian when you post.

Your "fecal gay heroes" attempt at parody devolved into a short discussion regarding comic books and Albus Dumbledore.  IOW, epic fail on your part.  You were hoping posters would excoriate Ian for what you saw as the absurdity of the topics, and it didn't work. 

Personally, I'm always willing to give Ian a chance regardless of what a topic may sound like on paper because he nearly always manages, for me, to keep me entertained and to make me think. He does his homework, and he pays attention to the guests and to the callers. That's about all I can ask for from a radio show.   

Snoory, OTOH, can take any topic that sounds good on paper and completely ruin it within the first two minutes.  He nearly always manages, for me, to fail the guests, the topic, and the listeners.  He's an insult on all levels to all components of a radio program. 

I will glady take any of the Ian topics you listed (zombies included) over Snoory hawking snake oil to cancer sufferers as a regular staple of the new and "improved" vision of C2C.

I actually think both Knapp and Punnett have a vision that could save C2C from becoming irrelevant in an age where the paranormal has been oversold in mainstream media.  The days of Art as a lone voice in the high desert exploring the strange and weird have been replaced by the over-saturation of the paranormal in the mainstream, to the point that even channels like Animal Planet carry their share of the paranormal buffet.

Knapp (UFO focus aside) and Punnett are both able to offer up a smorgasbord of the intriguing and weird but different from the standard paranormal fare.  Had C2C only seen fit to go in that direction, making those two hosts and their vision the centerpiece of the show, C2C might have marked out new territory that kept it special and fresh. 

Instead, it's devolved into a combination of loony conspiracy crap anyone can find with Alex Jones and company and loony health cures anyone can find on late night infomercials. 

Ian is hardly a role player in the demise of Coast to Coast.  He and Knapp could have saved it if PremRat had only been willing to play those cards.  Instead they gambled on mediocrity and have reaped declining ratings and radio stations dropping off like flies.  Hope they sell enough Coast Insider memberships to keep a weak pulse, but I doubt it.   

VtaGeezer

Once again, on 6/10 Ian P provided an interesting program on a out-of-the-ordinary subject, The Aleppo Codex, and showed C2C need not pander to New Age weirdos and conspiracy nuts.

Juan

except that new age weirdos and conspiracy nuts seem to be easier to find.

Harmness

It was a good show.  Damn, I miss Ian.

ziznak

Yup I listened live and I'm gonna download it as well... check it out in a few days again.

Frys Girl

The difference between good and crap was on display with Ian. A woman called in to say that her cat died the day before, her son is addicted to heroin, and her house is falling apart. She was at the end. She lost her job too, I think.

Ian gave her good advice and consoled her as best as possible over the phone on live radio. Now, had it been George Noory, I don't even want to think how badly George would have botched it. Good work, Ian.

stevesh

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 12, 2012, 05:34:22 AM
The difference between good and crap was on display with Ian. A woman called in to say that her cat died the day before, her son is addicted to heroin, and her house is falling apart. She was at the end. She lost her job too, I think.

Ian gave her good advice and consoled her as best as possible over the phone on live radio. Now, had it been George Noory, I don't even want to think how badly George would have botched it. Good work, Ian.

I thought Ian did a great job with that caller (though she wouldn't have got past the screener if I ran the show). Simple George would have told her to buck up and think positively, and maybe have recommended turmeric and storable foods.

Quote from: stevesh on June 12, 2012, 06:20:50 AM
I thought Ian did a great job with that caller (though she wouldn't have got past the screener if I ran the show). Simple George would have told her to buck up and think positively, and maybe have recommended turmeric and storable foods.

Caller with trouble: 'I have [insert issue here ] going on'

George: 'Geeeeez'

Quote from: stevesh on June 12, 2012, 06:20:50 AM

"You know I recently lost my father too..."

tmock00

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 12, 2012, 05:34:22 AM

George would blame it all on demons. 

b_dubb

Quote from: thefamilyghost on June 13, 2012, 02:43:15 AM
"You know I recently lost my father too..."
EXACTLY RIGHT!  or .... "Let's make your call about me ... blah blah blah ... "

what a selfish dick

I enjoyed Ian's show Sunday night. It was off the beaten track, interesting, and the guest knew his stuff. Ian handled the lady with the heroine addicted son beautifully. He showed a lot of compassion, gave her some very good advice and did his best to help her and still juggle a show with callers waiting and listeners who wanted to hear more from Friedman. I honestly don't think Noory could have handled her as deftly as Ian, without making yet another of his stupid, self-referencing and pointless rambling statements. And I'm equally sure ol' George wouldn't have been able to say Aleppo Codex three times running without screwing it up.

"Allepo Codex....Aleppic Codes... Alpo Cods"

CoastCanuck

I listened to the first hour of Ian's 6/10 show with the open lines.  He came across as kinder and gentler to the callers than he has in the past.  His responses to the lady with the heroine addicted son and the NYC man with the murdered friend seemed compassionate.  I give Ian thumbs up on this hour.

Geography

Ian Punnett is my least favorite host after Bell, Noory, and Knapp in-spite of several good traits.  He is the most well-read and intelligent sounding of all the hosts.  However, he talks too much and laughs at his own annoying jokes.  He seems too smug and proud of his own cleverness.  Talking too much is a classic mistake of interviewers.  I remember an interview with Daniel Pinchbeck in which his questions would go on forever.  Even before Pinchbeck spoke a single word, Punnett gave a minutes-long monologue introducing him, then jumping right to a question.  No!  Let the guest the introduce the topic and talk as much as possible!

Punnett's radio voice doesn't sound that great to me, but that's personal preference so I can't hold that against him.