• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

onan

Quote from: Harmness on August 04, 2011, 05:34:17 PM
Where I live, we pronounce it "goddammit."
Thanks for that.

For a while I thought I must have missed something. The only place I have heard the term dadgummit or any variation has been on tv or Blazing Saddles.

Goddamnit however pretty much hourly in my neighborhood.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fractal

Scully, what exactly is this Turkish UFO thing?

My husband is from Turkey so we read Turkish print media online and watch major Turkish broadcast media online on a regular basis and there has been nothing about UFO's recently.  There was some video on youtube about a UFO in İzmir a few years ago but it was pretty fake.  I did a little looking and apparently there was some reported UFO activity in İzmir in 1979-1980 and then again around 1996, also in İzmir.

Knapp had a show in August of last year in which he interviewed someone named Farah Yurdözü about UFO's in Turkey.  She said Turkish media had no problem discussing UFOs, that there was no UFO cover-up in Turkey (which may be correct by the fact that UFOs are not really discussed in Turkish media), and that the Turkish military, among others, was extremely open about UFO's.  When I heard that I thought "WTF??"  Why would she say that when there's just no discussion about the subject in Turkish media?  And why would she say that the Turkish military was extremely "open" about it?  There is no group in the world more uptight about anything than the Turkish military.

I have watched and read Turkish media for years and have never seen anything about UFOs, unless there's something carried from foreign media.  And it's never a big discussion; it's just a translated news report.  So when Yurdözü made all these claims, I wondered where in the hell she was getting the ideas from.  She may just be trying to carve herself a money-making niche.

If you have any other details on this, please let me know and I'll look around to see if there's any information on it from the Turkish side.

Scully

Quote from: Fractal on August 04, 2011, 10:59:15 PM
Scully, what exactly is this Turkish UFO thing?

... Knapp had a show in August of last year in which he interviewed someone named Farah Yurdözü about UFO's in Turkey.  She said Turkish media had no problem discussing UFOs, that there was no UFO cover-up in Turkey (which may be correct by the fact that UFOs are not really discussed in Turkish media), and that the Turkish military, among others, was extremely open about UFO's. ...

If you have any other details on this, please let me know and I'll look around to see if there's any information on it from the Turkish side.

Fractal, you've told me more than I knew before your post.  What I heard was a caller asking Knapp to do a program on "the Turkish UFO story."  Knapp immediately responded with recognition and interest and said he would like to do that.  That's when he said he would speak to the producers about it.

Since you've mentioned the Knapp show last year where this was also discussed, I now imagine that's what this was all about.  Wish I knew more.  I was just hoping for another good UFO show from Knapp. Sorry I can't help.  If you find out more, please share with the rest of us.  :)

Avi

Quote from: anagrammy on August 04, 2011, 03:48:07 PM
And, prithee tell, what in the world is a "haitch/aitch?"
(I realize I may be losing my percent Irish here by asking, even though my name is Kathleen and my grandmother came from County Cork.
Anagrammy

Well, this rambling Australian gives good "haitch (so many of us traveled there on prison ships)."

English Speaking is not perfict even spelling is not perfict

rbduck

What the hell is that he's saying at the end of every show? "and you too" What the hell is that? What is that deal anyway?
Yes, I'm in the south.

I once was a radio host at the worse station in a 4 station market. The station manager hated intros or ending sayings or songs at the end of the show. Therefore i hate them too. I know this is the Ian thread , but i cringe when George Noory intro's each show. Geez , make my skin crawl.

HAL 9000

Quote from: rbduck on August 05, 2011, 04:38:00 PMWhat the hell is that he's saying at the end of every show? "and you too" What the hell is that? What is that deal anyway? Yes, I'm in the south.

Latin translation: "God loves you (deus te amat) and I do too."

rbduck

I know I'm new here and haven't read all ten thousand posts, but I like the way Ian prepares for all his shows , but he get's people on and want's to inject so many of his on knowledge and opinions he constantly interrupts people and cut them off to do so. He needs 5 more hours of program so his guests and callers can have enough time to finish a thought before he interrupts them.

anagrammy

Quote from: rbduck on August 05, 2011, 05:17:55 PM
I know I'm new here and haven't read all ten thousand posts, but I like the way Ian prepares for all his shows , but he get's people on and want's to inject so many of his on knowledge and opinions he constantly interrupts people and cut them off to do so. He needs 5 more hours of program so his guests and callers can have enough time to finish a thought before he interrupts them.

Welcome, rbduck.  Ian is so well-prepared he has more to say than the author of the book.  Maybe he could give an hour of just him talking about the guest's subject and THEN let the guest on. 

Anagrammy

Scully

Quote from: anagrammy on August 05, 2011, 06:02:12 PM
Welcome, rbduck.  Ian is so well-prepared he has more to say than the author of the book.  Maybe he could give an hour of just him talking about the guest's subject and THEN let the guest on. 

Anagrammy

An hour would just get him started, Ana ...  ;)

Quote from: Scully on August 05, 2011, 06:16:03 PM

An hour would just get him started, Ana ...  ;)

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.  You are sooooooo right.     ;D

anagrammy

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 05, 2011, 04:50:55 PM
Latin translation: "God loves you (deus te amat) and I do too."

Can you believe Ian is doing a Dan Rather?  Ian loves us. Really?

For as literate and 'hip' Ian considers himself, doesn't he remember what a gob-stopping horror it was when Dan Rather tried to be Walter Cronkite.  He wanted a "So that's the way it is" for himself and somehow picked the single word "Courage" as his signature endnote.  People laughed.  He ended up with egg on his face and people making fun of him for YEARS.  I maintain that was the real, albeit delayed, reason for him being let go.  Like OJ Simpson justice...it just came late. (this is me kidding all you historians).

And in Latin, no less.  My answer:  "Hey Ian, post hoc ergo propter hoc," which loosely translated means I went to college too.

Anagrammy

(Actually it means "after it, therefore because of it.")

Scully

Quote from: anagrammy on August 05, 2011, 06:29:49 PM
Can you believe Ian is doing a Dan Rather?  Ian loves us. Really?

For as literate and 'hip' Ian considers himself, doesn't he remember what a gob-stopping horror it was when Dan Rather tried to be Walter Cronkite.  He wanted a "So that's the way it is" for himself and somehow picked the single word "Courage" as his signature endnote.  People laughed.  He ended up with egg on his face and people making fun of him for YEARS.  I maintain that was the real, albeit delayed, reason for him being let go.  Like OJ Simpson justice...it just came late. (this is me kidding all you historians).

And in Latin, no less.  My answer:  "Hey Ian, post hoc ergo propter hoc," which loosely translated means I went to college too.

Anagrammy

(Actually it means "after it, therefore because of it.")

De gustibus non est disputandum, Folks.

One of the few things I've always liked about Ian is his signoff. It obviously comes from his religious beliefs, which I know turns lots of people off, but to someone like me who was raised on hellfire and damnation yelling from the pulpit, it reminds me that there should be kindness in Christianity.

No, I don't think Ian really loves us, but I think he's trying to.  That beats George by a country mile.

And, yes, I like Dan Rather a lot.  He comes from the same part of the world I do, and we loves us some colloquialisms.  :)

valdez

I didn't recognize his name, but the more he talked the more I knew it was that kid on that Wonders of the Universe show on one of the science channels, prancing around the world talking physics and space and other things mind bending.  His name is Brian Cox.  A very cool guy.  Open lines after that.  Some lady called in saying George doesn't know what he's talking about when he dispenses medical advice.  I think she should call George directly.

Brian Cox
brian cox

Morgus

Ian brings back his longtime guest Galen Cook on the ongoing DB Cooper investigation tonight, after Noory stole him away early this past week.

rbduck

Quote from: anagrammy on August 05, 2011, 06:02:12 PM
Welcome, rbduck.  Ian is so well-prepared he has more to say than the author of the book.  Maybe he could give an hour of just him talking about the guest's subject and THEN let the guest on. 

Anagrammy

Thanks for the welcome Anagrammy and sorry I changed my name on ya. Even if Ian innterrupts guests and callers I still like listening to him. At least he does either reads the guests entire book (no matter it's subject) or at least part of it and admits to it. GN sounds just plain Dunb. It's about what I would sound like doing it. ;D Duh!!! I don't know who books Ian's guests for him though. Whoever is doing it is not doing him any favors in my opinion. A lot of times I do just listen and begin to be interested after the interview starts.

I once tried to be an overachiever, but fell asleep.

rbduck

Ohhhhhh Great!!! Ian. Right on Brother!!!  Right wing code so the Lefties won't understand (and me either), but I like that.  I also am from a part of the country (bible belt) where "hell fire" and "damnation" is yelled to the horizon. Actually from the more fundamental and judgemental people from the area would wonder why Ian, an ordained minister, would be a part of some of the discussions he is partaking in. It would be like a preacher getting out of church and going straight to a bar.  This is not my opinion , but an example of how he would be judged from this area.  Does this make any sense?

Scully

I perversely enjoyed Open Lines last night where Ian kept getting hit with Noory-splatter.

One guy argued that the Illuminati is the source of all evil back through recorded history till today.  Ian held his feet to the fire on that.

A woman with liver cancer resented Noory trying to scare people out of chemotherapy.  Ian said alternative medicine can be used in addition to standard treatment.

An elderly scared-out-of-his-wits guy who desperately needed to know what to do about the Communists who are going to flood his neighborhood. Ian worked and worked to say, without saying it, that the info the man was hearing was crappola.

Ian handled it all well, even though I wish he would have been less diplomatic and just said out loud:  GEORGE NOORY SUCKS!  ::)

Quote from: Scully on August 06, 2011, 07:33:02 PM
I perversely enjoyed Open Lines last night where Ian kept getting hit with Noory-splatter...

If a caller mentions something about George's show, Ian usually claims to not have heard it.  Which I don't blame him for not paying any attention at all to George Noory, or not admitting to it.

Ian has claimed the show is always changing, always cutting edge (of what, he doesn't say).

But then he gets all defensive with callers that complain about George - Ian once said the show 'is the same' as it has always been.

So with Ian, the show is always changing, hasn't changed at all, and he doesn't listen to it.  He's just so smart

I loved when Ian questioned the Illuminati nutjob, like a little kid, with "But why?". The guy got that nervous laughter when a bullshitter realizes he's not going to be able to just bullshit.

Same with the woman who claimed global warming was fixed by a spray whose contents she can't disclose, and George Bush and Al Gore were laughing about it in a picture together at the White House. I've never seen those two together outside of those debates in 2000......so more bullshit.

Another guy was ready to start with a bunch of born again bullshit......he sneered when Ian said he was an Episcopalian.......kinda wish Ian had let him hang himself, but he just went into full talkover mode and cut him off.

If George were on he'd let all this shit go unchallenged, then play UFO Phil.

Scully

Quote from: Jethro on August 06, 2011, 06:18:53 PM
Ohhhhhh Great!!! Ian. Right on Brother!!!  Right wing code so the Lefties won't understand (and me either), but I like that.  I also am from a part of the country (bible belt) where "hell fire" and "damnation" is yelled to the horizon. Actually from the more fundamental and judgemental people from the area would wonder why Ian, an ordained minister, would be a part of some of the discussions he is partaking in. It would be like a preacher getting out of church and going straight to a bar.  This is not my opinion , but an example of how he would be judged from this area.  Does this make any sense?

Hell yes, Chile.  But Ian is a Yankee Episcopalian "deacon," and it don't count up thar. They'se more unquestionin' than us smart 'uns whut's read the Bible and knows whut God really means.  ;)

anagrammy

Did anyone notice how Ian mentioned that he had twittered and also posed on his Facebook about Galen coming on his show?  In the words of the man we all love to hate, "Something's going on...."  My ears pricked up when he added details about his postings that he was attracting people with tidbits of information mentioning that he was having Galen back for an update.

In other words, Ian was already in cyberspace advertising his show when Noory took the guest.  I must ask this question, is Galen a whore or what?  I know, it's an existential question requiring time to reflect but, Galen, really?  Why didn't he just say, "Sorry George, I've been covering this with Ian for years...."

Anagrammy

Quote from: anagrammy on August 06, 2011, 11:56:44 PM
Did anyone notice how Ian mentioned that he had twittered and also posed on his Facebook about Galen coming on his show?  In the words of the man we all love to hate, "Something's going on...."  My ears pricked up when he added details about his postings that he was attracting people with tidbits of information mentioning that he was having Galen back for an update.

In other words, Ian was already in cyberspace advertising his show when Noory took the guest.  I must ask this question, is Galen a whore or what?  I know, it's an existential question requiring time to reflect but, Galen, really?  Why didn't he just say, "Sorry George, I've been covering this with Ian for years...."

Anagrammy

'Nice Guy' Noory and his team strike again. 

George knows he's an ass and that he sucks.  Ian certainly has to.  Ian is probably pissed, but at the same time realizes George wouldn't get much more than how Galen is feeling, how he became interested in DB Cooper, whut's nexch for him.

Ian's been dismissive of anonamous website commentary in the past, perhaps he will reconsider and see some value.

I can't really knock Galen, he has a new book out and therefore has to take his chance at pumping it whenever he can, and the weekday crowd is different from the weekend listener. He may feel that because George and Ian work for the same entity, it wasn't really a huge error in etiquette.

Wahnfried

I really like Ian. I think, pound for pound, he's the best interviewer around. He (usually) seems really prepared, and doesn't (often) let a guest weasel out of a hard question. Sure, he can be a bit smarmy and too "cool" for his own good, but I'd rather have him asking the questions than Snoory.

I also really like John Wells. That voice makes me pull the blankey up over my head, and he has just the right amount of paranoia.

For some reason I'm still a streamlink member, even though listening to Noory's idiocy makes me want to pound my head against a wall. There must be a better way to throw my money away...

Ian eats the testicles of hamsters, lightly poached with hollandaise sauce.

Wahnfried

I had no idea! But I do love a nice hollandaise.

b_dubb

how do you eat hamster testicles?  no ...wait . ... let me guess ... very carefully?  ya know ... cause they're like really small and stuff

anagrammy

Quote from: Scully on August 06, 2011, 07:33:02 PM

I perversely enjoyed Open Lines last night where Ian kept getting hit with Noory-splatter.

One guy argued that the Illuminati is the source of all evil back through recorded history till today.  Ian held his feet to the fire on that.

A woman with liver cancer resented Noory trying to scare people out of chemotherapy.  Ian said alternative medicine can be used in addition to standard treatment.

An elderly scared-out-of-his-wits guy who desperately needed to know what to do about the Communists who are going to flood his neighborhood. Ian worked and worked to say, without saying it, that the info the man was hearing was crappola.

Ian handled it all well, even though I wish he would have been less diplomatic and just said out loud:  GEORGE NOORY SUCKS!  ::)

Well said, Scully, well said.  I'll bet the other hosts are tired of fielding complaint calls about the GNS.

Anagrammy