• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

ItsOver

And, for tonight, Nazis.  Ha!  This should be “interesting.”

The Lives of Nazi Wives

DATE
Saturday - November 14 2020
HOST
Ian Punnett
GUESTS
James Wyllie
Goering, Goebbels, Himmler, Heydrich, Hess, Bormann - names synonymous with power and influence in the Third Reich. Perhaps less familiar are Carin, Emmy, Magda, Margarete, Lina, Ilse, and Gerda. These are the women behind the infamous menâ€"complex individuals with distinctive personalities who were captivated by Hitler and whose everyday lives were governed by Nazi ideology. Historian and author James Wyllie joins Ian Punnett (Twitter) to discuss Nazi wives who've been treated as minor characters - their significance ignored, as if they were unaware of their husbands' murderous acts, despite the evidence that was all around them.

Dateline

Quote from: ItsOver on November 14, 2020, 07:58:26 AM
Punnett engages with the guests and has interesting discussions, unlike Snoorway, who bumbles along, with stock, scripted questions and moronic comments. Punnett, Syrett, and Knapp are the only hosts worth tuning into, unless you’re looking for cheap, unintentional comedy, courtesy of Snoorway.  I’m also glad Church is no longer around.  I always felt like I needed a deep scrub down in a hot shower, after hearing his voice.

He is also very good at picking engaging topics.  Tonight, the show is about Nazi wives, a unique look at Nazism.  I actually look forward to some of his shows and topics when he is on.  I do still listen on the weekends, and during the week if there is a good guest host, Punnett, Syrett, or Knapp.   I can take Lisa Garr sometimes.  Connie is a no go.  Giggle. Giggle.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dateline on November 14, 2020, 10:27:34 AM
He is also very good at picking engaging topics.  Tonight, the show is about Nazi wives, a unique look at Nazism.  I actually look forward to some of his shows and topics when he is on.  I do still listen on the weekends, and during the week if there is a good guest host, Punnett, Syrett, or Knapp.   I can take Lisa Garr sometimes.  Connie is a no go.  Giggle. Giggle.
I’d forgotten exactly when Punnett became associated with C2C.

“In 1998 Punnett began occasionally hosting Coast to Coast AM. In April 2000, Punnett became the regular Sunday-night host for Coast to Coast. He was the first person other than Art Bell to be "given" a night of the week in his or her name. In December, 2001, Punnett left Coast to Coast AM with Ian Punnett to do mornings in the Twin Cities for Hubbard Broadcasting and to concentrate on finishing seminary. His replacement for Sunday nights was George Noory who would eventually take over the entire show when Art Bell retired again a few years later.”  Per Wiki.

I still can’t help but wonder if Ian is positioning himself to takeover C2C, if Snoorway ever hits the exit.  Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

DanTSX

Quote from: ItsOver on November 14, 2020, 10:39:01 AM

“In 1998 Punnett began occasionally hosting Coast to Coast AM. In April 2000, Punnett became the regular Sunday-night host for Coast to Coast. He was the first person other than Art Bell to be "given" a night of the week in his or her name. In December, 2001, Punnett left Coast to Coast AM with Ian Punnett to do mornings in the Twin Cities for Hubbard Broadcasting and to concentrate on finishing seminary. His replacement for Sunday nights was George Noory who would eventually take over the entire show when Art Bell retired again a few years later.”  Per Wiki.

I still can’t help but wonder if Ian is positioning himself to takeover C2C, if Snoorway ever hits the exit.  Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

Just end the show.  Ian is good a few times a year.  That’s it.

Norway is insufferable in any dose. 

Just end it.  Let the barely hangers on with sub 1,000 audiences fight over Art’s “legacy”.

Midgit Rogan is the closest thing to an Art bell today.

AZZERAE

Quote from: DanTSX on November 14, 2020, 11:56:24 AM
Norway is insufferable in any dose. 

Bullshit. He's much better than Decon. To me, anyway.

Corona Kitty

^^^^^^ Weird tranny stalker.

Juan

Ian said he was going to try to get in touch with the guy who claims to be the Lindbergh baby and do a follow up.

Coast could regain relevance if it had a host like Art with wide interests plus a compelling narrative style and programmed accordingly.  Frank whoever on 77WABC is sort of like that.  He had a short, interesting segment on how to catch his cats to move to another house. sNoory would have tried to stretch it to two hours with Annie from Alabama babbling, Cornelius laughing about the kinds of cat food they force prisoners to eat, and Cleopatra/Scarlett telling about how her Egyptian cats compare to those in Jonesboro, North Carolina.

ItsOver

Quote from: Juan on November 14, 2020, 12:38:57 PM...sNoory would have tried to stretch it to two hours with Annie from Alabama babbling, Cornelius laughing about the kinds of cat food they force prisoners to eat, and Cleopatra/Scarlett telling about how her Egyptian cats compare to those in Jonesboro, North Carolina.
Ha!  Yes, indeed.  Snoorway’s idea of riveting radio.  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on November 14, 2020, 10:39:01 AM

Aside from his liberal smugness he is certainly a better host and when pushed can shut down Bible blowhards who really don't know much of what they are citing. I recall that Ian had some better New Years Prediction shows than Art even. Some really wacky callers with strange predictions like "King Midas is coming back. In palladium." And somehow also is the antichrist and that small creatures are going to turn on humans starting in a Canadian park and then spreading worldwide. Squirrels....and even salmon will begin to attack. 

Dave always mentions his long-term contract and extension and that "he isn't going anywhere" and will "always be here for you." And the dentist, who is a psychics, says he will be a radio host called Dexter Monterrey in the future, alas.  >:(

Dateline

I am impressed!  Ian researching things for the audience and following up on topics is so gratifying for the audience.  He is making plans to follow up on some topics.  Ian just settle in and make it homey.

albrecht

NAZI wives show was interesting. The guest was surprisingly non-biased in his discussions of NAZIs and Germans. Especially for a Brit.  Ian kept pushing but the author limited his comments to actual facts and refused speculation, rumor, or slander.

I know the bar is very low because of Noory's embarrassing baseline performance as Coast host but it is so refreshing to listen to Coast when Punnett is hosting. He puts thought into booking guests and books them himself, he actually READS their books and brings to the discussion quite a lot of life and career experience - Noory brings absolutely nothing, he's like the unmarried old uncle who comes to the family pot luck dinner with nothing and stands around creeping out the kids who whisper questions to their moms 'Why isn't Uncle George married?' 'I saw Uncle George dip his finger in the macaroni salad' 'Uncle George smells'

He had the remaining members of 70s comedy group Firesign Theatre on Friday - I've always heard about them but don't think I ever heard any of their work - I somehow thought they were what Second City grew out of. Punnett had lots to offer in that interview being in radio in major midwestern markets for so long and a real appreciation for radio comedy. Nice moment for Ian, some legendary Chicago radio personality who Ian had never met was listening to the show and contacted Ian on Twitter.

The Nazi Wives guest was good too - love anything Nazi related. The psycho-sexual aspect of Hitler's life is fascinating -  dude was such a fucked up monster in so many ways. I'd like to read a book on that topic even if most of it is conjecture.

And now the wheel will be turned back over to Noory for another week of terrible guests and worse interviews and call ins from the audience.

DesertFox

Ian had a smart show with a biblical archaeologist last night.

ItsOver

Quote from: DesertFox on November 30, 2020, 10:00:09 AM
Ian had a smart show with a biblical archaeologist last night.
I only caught part of the last hour but, as expected, orders of magnitude better than Dave Norway.  Even the callers, at least the few I heard, were so much better.  They actually seemed to be sentient beings, no Annie from Bamy or Corny. 

albrecht

Good show last night and good callers with questions. Even Walt didn't get under Ian's skin when we was talking about "those Joose could tell some nice stories. They put Shakespeare to shame with those stories."  What's-his-name from California sort of made Ian mad when he wasn't asking about the subject but talking about how self-sacrifice was suicide and always wrong. It is that frequent caller who claims he goes into past lives and alien dimensions or some thing.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on November 30, 2020, 05:12:14 PM
It is that frequent caller who claims he goes into past lives and alien dimensions or some thing.

Needles: detected.

Uncle Duke

Good show last night and good callers with questions. Even Walt didn't get under Ian's skin when we was talking about "those Joose could tell some nice stories. They put Shakespeare to shame with those stories."  What's-his-name from California sort of made Ian mad when he wasn't asking about the subject but talking about how self-sacrifice was suicide and always wrong. It is that frequent caller who claims he goes into past lives and alien dimensions or some thing.

Joe from Monterey?  Haven't listened to the show yet, but that sounds like Joe.  Early this year on an open lines call Ian ate him alive, surprised he still calls in when Ian's hosting.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 30, 2020, 05:25:10 PM
Joe from Monterey?  Haven't listened to the show yet, but that sounds like Joe.  Early this year on an open lines call Ian ate him alive, surprised he still calls in when Ian's hosting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ian asked him to call back after that. Sometimes that kind of drama can be just the thing to increase listenership ratings. ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 30, 2020, 05:25:10 PM
That would be the caller! For some reason I couldn't remember his name. I tend to tune him out. I was putting up some more Christmas lights. Chuckle that our local Electric CO-OP puts on an amazing Christmas lights on their property- encouraging folks to use that juice! I'll be the electric companies don't like these LED lights.  Ian was about to go after Joe but he reigned himself in and moved on.

Morgus

I figured 'ole Walt would call in and start off with his usual "with all due respect to your guest..."  8)

Ciardelo

I've got 2 comments, then I have a question...

I've always liked Ian despite his political shortcomings.
As a "Boomer" I feel I represent a portion of his audience...

Does MtM call in for Ian since he got chewed out scolded that one time?

Morgus

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 30, 2020, 06:07:42 PM
Does MtM call in for Ian since he got chewed out scolded that one time?
Mike did call in recently when Ian was a guest on Noory's show, but Ian kept quiet since Noory was complimenting Mike big time, while Mike was totally ignoring Ian's advice...

Gyoza Girl

Quote from: Morgus on November 30, 2020, 11:16:14 PM
Mike did call in recently when Ian was a guest on Noory's show, but Ian kept quiet since Noory was complimenting Mike big time, while Mike was totally ignoring Ian's advice...

Mike the Millennial called in last night, and he just discoursed on and on to the point of tedium before finally asking his question. I'm beginning to see what Ian Punnett meant when he said Mike should host his own radio show or podcast.

Uncle Duke

Very disappointed the reincarnated Cleopatra didn't get on last night with the Egyptologist. I'd be willing to bet Ian made a command decision not to let her on with him if she got as far as the call screener, would have sandbagged her on hold.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 13, 2020, 03:08:58 PM
Very disappointed the reincarnated Cleopatra didn't get on last night with the Egyptologist. I'd be willing to bet Ian made a command decision not to let her on with him if she got as far as the call screener, would have sandbagged her on hold.
I agree. I think Ian had screener not allow her in. He did comment that "he and his friends say that Cleopatra 'had the musk' " and asked the guest about her sexual proclivities. Perfect time to get the actual Cleopatra online for Ian to ask for more salacious details. I was surprised Ian and guest were unaware of the 78 Grateful Dead concert at Giza. During a friggin eclipse! It was pretty famous, apparentlyu Jehan Sedat was a fan. And Sadat was killed a few years later. Ian wondered how fans got weed.

This is my favorite bit from Mrs.Sadat's wiki bio:
"The couple married on May 29, 1949, after some hesitation, and objections from her parents to the idea of their daughter marrying a jobless revolutionary. He was 30, while she was 15."

Haha, can you imagine the parents having that discussion? "Listen dear, not only is he TWICE her age but he doesn't have a job!" "Darling, yes he is jobless but isn't that what a revolutionary does these days?" And then having THAT situation turning out to be First Lady and then various professorships, foundations later?

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on December 13, 2020, 06:25:56 PM... Ian wondered how fans got weed...

“A question you would never get from Dave Norway.”

ItsOver

Speaking of Dave, I hate to think we all missed another opportunity for him to drop his Egyptian ancestry and ask penetrating questions about the role of aliens.