• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

EvB

Quoteguess they only want those that cannot think, question,  or be conformed and molded into one of the Borg.

Yep!  That's me - all the way.

Oh, BTW - I was baptized and confirmed as a 30-something. I wasn't easy to intimidate, and no one tried.  No when it came to theology, anyway. 

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 14, 2009, 10:00:42 PM
Yep!  That's me - all the way.

Oh, BTW - I was baptized and confirmed as a 30-something. I wasn't easy to intimidate, and no one tried.  No when it came to theology, anyway.

Nah you can think you're the exception to the rule, that is why they try to indoctrinate the young kind of like a Christian version of the Hitler Youth.

EvB

Quote from: Centurion73 on April 15, 2009, 02:08:01 AM
Nah you can think you're the exception to the rule, that is why they try to indoctrinate the young kind of like a Christian version of the Hitler Youth.

Wow!  You are really getting to know me well, dude!  I ADORE being in community with people I consider idiots;  habitually confusing insight and intelligence with the result of brain washing.

Damn, you're good.

You get a semicolon for that one.

mythrar

First post.  Not usually very talkative but figured I'd give my own personal experience for everyone to take for what it is worth.

I kinda have to agree with EvB regarding people of faith being treated as people of low intelligence and dubious mental stability.  At least, that has been my experience.

In college I was a physics major and I am also a Roman Catholic (somewhat lapsed due to the current state of the church.)  Somehow my muslim, buddhist, hindu, and pagan friends never got the shit that I got for believing in "an invisible man who lives in the sky."

I am currently an infantry squad leader in the United States Army and have been deployed for 27 months to Iraq (two separate deployments) and I have had a close up look at how at least one other religion operates and I am actually glad Christianity is around.

That's my two cents worth.

-M

Centurion73

Quote from: mythrar on April 15, 2009, 10:57:48 AM
First post.  Not usually very talkative but figured I'd give my own personal experience for everyone to take for what it is worth.

I kinda have to agree with EvB regarding people of faith being treated as people of low intelligence and dubious mental stability.  At least, that has been my experience.

In college I was a physics major and I am also a Roman Catholic (somewhat lapsed due to the current state of the church.)  Somehow my muslim, buddhist, hindu, and pagan friends never got the shit that I got for believing in "an invisible man who lives in the sky."

I am currently an infantry squad leader in the United States Army and have been deployed for 27 months to Iraq (two separate deployments) and I have had a close up look at how at least one other religion operates and I am actually glad Christianity is around.

-M

27 Months, I say this not because you're my brother but you are in a way (I came from an Island one with a nice name  ;D) Get your ass home safe and I don't give a fuck who or whom thinks your low in IQ because of what you believe. MY bitch is for the ones that think they can berate others who have different (home as in USA beliefs) as for what you see there I know what you're saying bro, stay strong.

EvB

THERE Centurion, you see? mythrar agrees with me.  Ergo, the issue is settled.  :-*

Welcome mythrar, please do com eoften and post when the spirit moves.  You are more than welcome.

And oh, BTW - you'd be just as welcome if you'd agreed with Centurion, or told us all to pound sand.  We're like that.  ;)

mythrar

Quote from: Centurion73 on April 15, 2009, 11:20:53 AM
as for what you see there I know what you're saying bro, stay strong.

thanx, brother.  Gotta stay strong:  Strength and Honor and all that, eh?

Quote from: EvB on April 15, 2009, 11:22:49 AM
Welcome mythrar, please do com eoften and post when the spirit moves.  You are more than welcome.

And oh, BTW - you'd be just as welcome if you'd agreed with Centurion, or told us all to pound sand.  We're like that.  ;)

and thanx to you as well, EvB.  as for pounding sand, I feel like I'm a subject-matter expert.  I'll keep in mind how badass and open minded everyone here is.  I generally hate message boards but this one is pretty cool.  I think the spirit of Art Bell tears down the normal boundaries that keep people from having decent and intelligent discussions.

-M

Frys Girl

Quote from: mythrar on April 15, 2009, 10:57:48 AM

-M
I'm one of those "you like that guy in the sky" people. Howevever, while I don't believe in any of it, I don't doubt the good it can do for people. Faith can help people feel strong and good, even if it is fake. I think of it as sports - it's healthy, even if you aren't an olympic athlete. But it's when religion gets into the public/government spheres that I bug out.

BEST wishes to you in Iraq. I hope you get home soon and SAFE :)

Frys Girl

Quote from: EvB on April 12, 2009, 06:43:49 PM
I see what you mean, but here's how I took it.  He and a caller were both agreeing heartily about how the US could just send snipers to take out the Somali pirates.  But, either at that point or sometime before  - Ian realized that may have been a bit simplistic, and so poked fun at himself and the caller for getting carried away by saying "Have we just seen too many movies, maybe?"

The Segal comment followed soon after- a reference to a joke on himself.
He mentioned it Sunday night when the good news broke. He said "there I was asking about Segal when it's not a Segal movie. Shame on me." That was big of him. Good for Ian. He's still kind of annoying though. lol.

Centurion73

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 15, 2009, 01:27:33 PM
He mentioned it Sunday night when the good news broke. He said "there I was asking about Segal when it's not a Segal movie. Shame on me." That was big of him. Good for Ian. He's still kind of annoying though. lol.

He realized at that moment he is a monumental ass because
Quote" he has a lot of things going on in that head of his."

;D

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 15, 2009, 02:51:02 AM
Wow!  You are really getting to know me well, dude!  I ADORE being in community with people I consider idiots;  habitually confusing insight and intelligence with the result of brain washing.

Damn, you're good.

You get a semicolon for that one.

Thank you for the semicolon I have always wanted one  ;D.

You must admit that some of the same psychological pressures are put upon some children of faith (that is how I should have said it) not that you were a Hitler youth. You do read about the deaths from children being wrapped in sheets and asphyxiating, children beaten or not being  fed for not being godly enough or doing some sort of "sin." Having certain life saving medical emergencies denied because of the church, or women and girls being subservient to males in certain sects. This is all very Hitler like, it was never directed at you or any one christian as you know I have my own church and we have our own problems like any and you cannot deny brain washing does happen in religion a lot but maybe I am wrong and that WOULD be a FIRST  ;D.

P.S. What is a semicolon, a  colonoscopy on a Semihole (seminole) Indian?

Centurion73

BART EHRMAN

I suggested well actually challenged Ian to interview him because I heard him on NPR (appears Ian is getting quest from NPR now, hmmmmmmm) Ehrman is a real Ph.D and world class biblical scholar who once believed all in the bible until he found mistakes and called people out on them. Chair of Dept of Religious studies at UNC if anyone Ian CANNOT argue with or brow beat it is this guy, his books are a must read but he is very fair. Should be an OUTSTANDING SHOW and I bet Ian plays the meek.

Centurion73

Quote from: Centurion73 on April 17, 2009, 11:51:55 PM
BART EHRMAN

I suggested well actually challenged Ian to interview him because I heard him on NPR (appears Ian is getting quest from NPR now, hmmmmmmm) Ehrman is a real Ph.D and world class biblical scholar who once believed all in the bible until he found mistakes and called people out on them. Chair of Dept of Religious studies at UNC if anyone Ian CANNOT argue with or brow beat it is this guy, his books are a must read but he is very fair. Should be an OUTSTANDING SHOW and I bet Ian plays the meek.

Got to give myself a Ding on that one, Ian played the meek all the way to the hilt but I still liked the show because I find the guest fascinating.

Centurion73

How sad  :-[ had to give myself a ding, dang, wish it were a ring ding I used to love them and it looks like little c2-c2 (Ian) does also ;D

Do you think this is going to be his new pet lead ot try and tie it into "smiley faced killers" Boston police follow new leads in search for Craigslist killer, c-mon Ian I know you can do it. Took a lot out of you to act like an adult last interview c-mon Ian revert, revet I say. (play on the words repent.)

Centurion73

Did Ian have another off night, did he in fact read the book as he claimed or was the author just so dry that it did not go well? It appeared that when the guest had a correction to some of the wrong assumptions Ian had (for some unknown reason) that it was not going well at all and Ian could not be the Punny Man he likes to be. I will admit that the author was a nit picky on some terms and such but if Ian wants to be a national host he has to work through that type of misfire between host and guest or not?

Was this the Dinosaur guy?

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 26, 2009, 12:13:58 PM
Was this the Dinosaur guy?

Yes, this was Jack Horner  -- who SHOULD stay in his corner!  (at least verbally) I felt sorry for Ian - talking to this guy was like pulling teeth.  (And yes, Centurion, if you listen, you can tell that the GUEST is the problem here.  He gives clipped answers - non-answers - repeats himself by way of explanation - and his voice is DULL DULL DULL ("flat affect"  which is psycho-babble for "no personality at all" - and by itself, unless bordering on catatoinia, is no biggie - in combination with other things it may be time to call the padded wagon)   Maybe he's not a night person, but --- DAMN!  Please God this man is in the research end of things.  Inflicting him on students would be cruel and unusual punnishment.

That said, his book may be utterly facinating. It's his style of speaking and apparent inability to think on his feet that were the issues.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 26, 2009, 12:25:07 PM
Yes, this was Jack Horner  -- who SHOULD stay in his corner!  (at least verbally) I felt sorry for Ian - talking to this guy was like pulling teeth.  (And yes, Centurion, if you listen, you can tell that the GUEST is the problem here.  He gives clipped answers - non-answers - repeats himself by way of explanation - and his voice is DULL DULL DULL ("flat affect"  which is psycho-babble for "no personality at all" - and by itself, unless bordering on catatoinia, is no biggie - in combination with other things it may be time to call the padded wagon)   Maybe he's not a night person, but --- DAMN!  Please God this man is in the research end of things.  Inflicting him on students would be cruel and unusual punnishment.

That said, his book may be utterly facinating. It's his style of speaking and apparent inability to think on his feet that were the issues.

I felt that he was very clinical but Ian has to be able to adapt to that if that is HIS guest or start booking his own guest. He is a researcher and again you're correct that is how he thinks and I dare say that is his personality 24/7 but someone from that show C2C should have know that prior. I do not think he has as you put it "inability to think on his feet " I think that he could do so fine if the questions were phrased in his "psycho-babble" type of speech and thinking. He is just to academic for Ian's type of interview that is all. It was painful to hear for everyone I think and just one big cluster but Ian's producer should get hammered on that one but it's c2c no one was listening anyway  ;D.

Frys Girl

I know Ian is annoyed by the dumb callers, but sheesh, he hangs up on people worse than Howard Stern did back in the days.

He is one cruel bastard when he feels like he's bored. It was kinda cool, but not. Telling callers "yea you must not have heard our segment. we already said that." I think he hates AJ Jones or something.

Centurion73

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 27, 2009, 07:16:56 PM
I know Ian is annoyed by the dumb callers, but sheesh, he hangs up on people worse than Howard Stern did back in the days.

He is one cruel bastard when he feels like he's bored. It was kinda cool, but not. Telling callers "yea you must not have heard our segment. we already said that." I think he hates AJ Jones or something.

I think he wants to really "probe" the depths of AJ kinda like Whittley was probed  ;D.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Centurion73 on April 27, 2009, 07:57:12 PM
I think he wants to really "probe" the depths of AJ kinda like Whittley was probed  ;D.
I have some of his stuff on my IPOD leftover and last night I heard him dishing it to another caller about "well go watch it on Alex Jones". BTW Alex Jones' emergency video was fucking hilarious. I watched it at work (BTW this site is blocked because suck is only interpreted as oral sex I guess? I'm too shy to ask the tech people to unblock it because you know how that is) and the music intro combined with his headphones....... he is Inspector Clouseau!

xpmark12

:D I wish C2C had never become politicized.Sneery and Ian Pungent both express political opinions and take political callers.I just wish they screened out political talk.I enjoy it during the daytime, but that show, C2C could be a refreshing diversion.I can't recall if George Knapp provides political commentary, but I have a feeling he is too smart to adulterate his shows.Just one persons opinion.

EvB

We just went though a highly dramatized election.  Things are still shaking out. That's bound to ocm einto the picture.

Even Art did some political talk - though perhaps he avoided it more since he'd done a purely political show when he switched to the paranormal format, and says he was sick of it.

We'll have to see how things settle - or not - I guess.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 29, 2009, 11:13:35 AM
We just went though a highly dramatized election.  Things are still shaking out. That's bound to ocm einto the picture.

Even Art did some political talk - though perhaps he avoided it more since he'd done a purely political show when he switched to the paranormal format, and says he was sick of it.

We'll have to see how things settle - or not - I guess.

Art was also on more than once or twice a week and did 5 hr shows. How long does it take for things to shake out I would suspect by 100 days/nights you would know what kind of animal you have at that point?

Heh, I'll sum Obama's "kind of animal" up for you. It's rather simple as to why his approval ratings are horribly skewed and no one can figure out what the fuck people actually think of him even after the first 100 days...From Gallup.com:

QuoteObama's strongest backers are blacks, with 96% saying they approve of the job he is doing. However, Hispanics are nearly as supportive, with 85% approving. Approval is a much lower 57% among whites -- but still a solid majority.

96%. NINETY-SIX PERCENT. Racist much? That's virtually impossible if they were actually paying attention to what he's doing. But see, this is why we can't get an accurate poll. They go and ask people in Compton what they think about Obama...

Pollster: "What do you think of President Obama after his first 100 days?"

Black guy: "Oh he be doin great muthafucka. He the greatest president ever and probably jesus, too." 

Pollster: "Mmkayy. Do you watch news or read the papers or..maybe read blogs on the internet?"

Black guy: "Wat? Naw I ain't no whitey. Askin me if I be watchin' news. Pssht. That shit be gay."

Pollster: 'Riiiight...we'll just put you down as you approve...big surprise...have a nice day."

Black guy: "Fa sho. BOOTY BOUNCIN, BOOTY BOUNCIN, WHUUUT?"

Centurion73

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on April 29, 2009, 01:31:16 PM
Heh, I'll sum Obama's "kind of animal" up for you. It's rather simple as to why his approval ratings are horribly skewed and no one can figure out what the fuck people actually think of him even after the first 100 days...From Gallup.com:

96%. NINETY-SIX PERCENT. Racist much? That's virtually impossible if they were actually paying attention to what he's doing. But see, this is why we can't get an accurate poll. They go and ask people in Compton what they think about Obama...

Pollster: "What do you think of President Obama after his first 100 days?"

Black guy: "Oh he be doin great muthafucka. He the greatest president ever and probably jesus, too." 

Pollster: "Mmkayy. Do you watch news or read the papers or..maybe read blogs on the internet?"

Black guy: "Wat? Naw I ain't no whitey. Askin me if I be watchin' news. Pssht. That shit be gay."

Pollster: 'Riiiight...we'll just put you down as you approve...big surprise...have a nice day."

Black guy: "Fa sho. BOOTY BOUNCIN, BOOTY BOUNCIN, WHUUUT?"

That be some funny shit right there and should be HOF material.

Centurion73

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 29, 2009, 05:35:33 AM
I have some of his stuff on my IPOD leftover and last night I heard him dishing it to another caller about "well go watch it on Alex Jones". BTW Alex Jones' emergency video was fucking hilarious. I watched it at work (BTW this site is blocked because suck is only interpreted as oral sex I guess? I'm too shy to ask the tech people to unblock it because you know how that is) and the music intro combined with his headphones....... he is Inspector Clouseau!

I agree the Jones video is hilarious and he is most of the time but I am sure Ian would not want to debate AJ whack job or not and he does skew the message sometimes but he gets the facts. Yeah they way Ian treats some callers is not very professional at times.

Centurion73

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on April 29, 2009, 01:31:16 PM

96%. NINETY-SIX PERCENT. Racist much? That's virtually impossible if they were actually paying attention to what he's doing.

Wall Street Journal
March 13, 2009

"3.13.2009
Yes, Obama's Approval Ratings Are Declining. What Did You Expect?
by Nate Silver @ 3:05 PM
Bookmark and Share Share This Content

This is the first paragraph of a commentary by Doug Schoen and Scott Rasmussen in today's Wall Street Journal:

It is simply wrong for commentators to continue to focus on President Barack Obama's high levels of popularity, and to conclude that these are indicative of high levels of public confidence in the work of his administration. Indeed, a detailed look at recent survey data shows that the opposite is most likely true. The American people are coming to express increasingly significant doubts about his initiatives, and most likely support a different agenda and different policies from those that the Obama administration has advanced.

Article Source: The Washington Times

"President Obama's media cheerleaders are hailing how loved he is. But at the 100-day mark of his presidency, Mr. Obama is the second-least-popular president in 40 years.

According to Gallup's April survey, Americans have a lower approval of Mr. Obama at this point than all but one president since Gallup began tracking this in 1969. The only new president less popular was Bill Clinton, who got off to a notoriously bad start after trying to force homosexuals on the military and a federal raid in Waco, Texas, that killed 86. Mr. Obama's current approval rating of 56 percent is only one tick higher than the 55-percent approval Mr. Clinton had during those crises.

slipstream

Just a few weeks ago on an episode of Art Bell: Somewhere in Time, Art started talking about abortion law.  Please don't simplify the past too much.

Centurion73

Quote from: slipstream on May 01, 2009, 06:25:59 PM
  Just a few weeks ago on an episode of Art Bell: Somewhere in Time, Art started talking about abortion law.  Please don't simplify the past too much.

I admit to being dense but could you explain "Please don't simplify the past too much." All that was quoted above was from current news sources and if you read any of them there was a lot of shit worse going on that Obama has had to put up with in his first 100 days.