• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Centurion73

Quote from: The Coincidence Kid on April 05, 2009, 01:04:20 AM
I can barely stand him anymore. He manages the discussion to a microscopic degree and treats the guests like children; very passive-aggressive too. At the same time he acts like a pre-pubescent boob. A person like this would be on my shit list if I had to interact with them in my daily life.

Please, no more personality disorder am.

Save us, Knapp; you're our only hope.

:'(

I like how the guest "PROVED" to him how there was never a definitive letter written by a person or persons KNOWN to be Jack The Ripper, still Ian has to argue with the guest because he and his theory were proven wrong, how he states " they all want to get caught." He is making Glen Beck look like Henry Kissenger as of last nights debacle.

Centurion73

Ian's Theory of C2Cativity, stay as far away from any paranormal discussion, show, or guest as you can.

Ruteger

I swear - he actually used the word "studly" in context with LED light bulbs. God help us all...

EvB

Quote from: Centurion73 on April 05, 2009, 12:57:33 PM
I like how the guest "PROVED" to him how there was never a definitive letter written by a person or persons KNOWN to be Jack The Ripper, still Ian has to argue with the guest because he and his theory were proven wrong, how he states " they all want to get caught."

The guest was great - and I loved the show.  I also thought Ian's questions were great - and he seemed to accept his pet theories being shot down.  Actually, as someone who actually listens to most of Ian's shows (as opposed to just using them for noise as I do George) I appreciated hearing him questions notions he'd put forth before.  It would have seem odd to me if he hadn't mentioned them.  Given that I'm aware of his ideas and the ideas of previous guest re: Jack the Ripper etc . . . I would have been a little confused if he'd behaved as if the subject had not come up before, with conflicting conclusions.  Could he have addressed that differently?  Sure, things can always be done differently.

That said, I have the impression that Katherine Ramsland is the most credible of all the guests on C2C I've heard address this topic.It was great to not have any kissing-up on either side.

BTW, Centurion, did you notice the passionate and supportive words he had to say about some of your professional brethren?   This is actually just an abrupt change of subject, I'm not chiding you.  But, I did think of you when I was listening to that part of the show.

elievano

totaly agree you got my vote

ArtBellFan

Agreed, time for Ian to go, he doesn't have the decency to greet his audience or guest any more and rarely has a good guest on.
If only Knapp would take over Coast, but don't think he will give up his day job.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 05, 2009, 03:23:35 PM
The guest was great - and I loved the show. 

BTW, Centurion, did you notice the passionate and supportive words he had to say about some of your professional brethren?   This is actually just an abrupt change of subject, I'm not chiding you.  But, I did think of you when I was listening to that part of the show.

I thought the show was good because of the guest that is for sure.

Quotehe seemed to accept his pet theories being shot down.

He started to argue it and when she did not back down and countered with facts he appeared to not be as opinionated but that could be just me.

After all the stress of the last two weeks and a mass killing I can admit maybe I did not cut him any slack.

Frys Girl

I respected him a little more after this past weekend. I was grading and grading and didn't feel like puking after anything he said. Although his rant about not being on the expert's site amid the other media sources was annoying. Maybe because George Snoory has ruined the name of coast to coast?

EvB

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 08, 2009, 08:46:35 PM
I respected him a little more after this past weekend. I was grading and grading and didn't feel like puking after anything he said. Although his rant about not being on the expert's site amid the other media sources was annoying. Maybe because George Snoory has ruined the name of coast to coast?

Maybe - but if a guest is willing to BE on C2C you'd think they'd be wiling to list it.  It's more likely what she said - he had an old vita - she needs to update it.

Loui Zoot

I used to like Ian Punnett, I'm burned out of the entire program.  As such, I just canceled my yearly streamlink subscription. The two day notice to renewal pisses me off. Only scam like companies need to pull that kind of crap.

It's been a couple years since I could stand Noory's shows. I'd listen to the other hosts. I recently realized that I hadn't listened to the show more that a handful of times in months. Ian seems like he was getting annoyed with being a host anymore, and makes me want to yell one of his annoying catch phrases at him, "SHUT UP!". Except I'd mean the literal usage of the phrase and not the way his teenagers would mean it.

Knapp and Bell are on so rarely now, for whatever reasons, that the whole damn Coast to Coast AM sucks. The newer Art shows are merely a shadow of the past, if even that.

Knapp has been a fine host all of the times I've listened to him, yet he's not enough to save the show, and he doesn't want the show. At least from things he's said on the air, when questioned along those lines.

As far as I can tell the show has been salted and set ablaze. Zombie radio at its finest.

MV/Liberace!

loui... christ, it's been 7 months.  i thought you were gone forever.  figured someone here did SOMETHING to piss you off or scare you away.  seems to happen quite frequently in these parts.  anyway, glad to see you around.

edit:  and did you ever get your website fixed?  i know the whole thing crashed and burned on you a while back.  it's looking great now, tho.  isn't wordpress amazing?

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 09, 2009, 01:17:13 AM
loui... christ, it's been 7 months.  i thought you were gone forever.  figured someone here did SOMETHING to piss you off or scare you away.  seems to happen quite frequently in these parts. 

US??!   HERE!?  NEVER!!!!      ;:)

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 09, 2009, 01:17:13 AM
loui... christ, it's been 7 months.  i thought you were gone forever.  figured someone here did SOMETHING to piss you off or scare you away.  seems to happen quite frequently in these parts.  anyway, glad to see you around.

edit:  and did you ever get your website fixed?  i know the whole thing crashed and burned on you a while back.  it's looking great now, tho.  isn't wordpress amazing?

Yeah man, good to see you, and I was wondering the same thing.  Hope all's well in UFO land.

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 09, 2009, 08:08:35 PM
Yeah man, good to see you, and I was wondering the same thing.  Hope all's well in UFO land.

Ditto..or, well..I guess I'm the fourth so..fourtho. Anyways, it's good to see you posting again Loui. You were one of the original and best contributors IMO. I was wondering what the hell happened to you man.  :D

Quote from: EvB on April 09, 2009, 03:09:10 AM
US??!   HERE!?  NEVER!!!!      ;:)

Heh, yeah...I don't know how anyone could suggest something like that about us.  ;:)

nika01

I agree with the notion that Ian is far, far superior to Noory. However, he is turning into an interview bully. Often a guest will want to go where Ian doesnt want him to..yet.

The few times I have written to him be has been hyper defensive, bordering on hostile towards any well meant criticism.

Centurion73

Quote from: nika01 on April 12, 2009, 10:34:08 AM
However, he is turning into an interview bully. Often a guest will want to go where Ian doesnt want him to..yet.

The few times I have written to him be has been hyper defensive, bordering on hostile towards any well meant criticism.

Say it aint so, say it aint so  ;D.

Now we get to hear his Glenn Miller rant ala Sonny Bono, Linberg Baby, Smiley Face Killers, DB Cooper, St. John Hunt, Patton crap. It is a well know fact that Miller was on a secret mission during his time entertaining  the troop's of so long ago. Should not be C2C with Ian Punnett but Book chat but only if you agree with me.

Frys Girl

Quote from: sociald on March 14, 2009, 02:21:01 PM
I used to like Ian but lately his stupid jokes are really getting on my nerves. If he really thinks he is some damn commedian, then why not give up hosting C2C on weekends and just go do stand up commedy. From listening to his pathetic jokes he would fail in an instant. I just don't get who ever told him he was funny.
Maybe you can blame it on his Lent sacrifice - BREAD. He said last night that he's "dying for a hamburger bun." He also said this about the pirates "Where's Steven Segal when you need him?" So inappropriate!

He's kind of growing on me.... week after week. I don't know what's wrong with me!

bobcollum

Quote"Where's Steven Segal when you need him?"

That is ridiculous.

Everyone knows he is the cook.

EvB

Quote"Where's Steven Segal when you need him?" So inappropriate!

I see what you mean, but here's how I took it.  He and a caller were both agreeing heartily about how the US could just send snipers to take out the Somali pirates.  But, either at that point or sometime before  - Ian realized that may have been a bit simplistic, and so poked fun at himself and the caller for getting carried away by saying "Have we just seen too many movies, maybe?"

The Segal comment followed soon after- a reference to a joke on himself. 

Centurion73

QuoteMaybe you can blame it on his Lent sacrifice - BREAD.

That is called being pious (a: marked by sham or hypocrisy b: marked by self-conscious virtue) much like the pharasies who would rend their garments in public to appear pious.

QuoteIn the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus teaches the people to be careful not to perform
        their good works for the poor to be admired by others. Then he talks about how prayer should not be a
        public display of our eloquence and piety to be seen by others. Fasting comes under this admonition as
        well.

QuoteObviously some people were using fasting as a ?holiness? barometer...They hoped that someone
        would ask them what?s wrong. Then they could answer, ?I?m fasting.? ?Wow,? the person would
        respond, ?you sure are holy. You must love God a lot.

QuoteNo one should suspect you are fasting. It is between you and God.
         The Reward ? Jesus continued, ?But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that
        it will not be obvious that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who
        sees what is done in secret, will reward you? (6:17-18).

QuoteJohn Piper noted, that as Jesus teaches it, fasting is an intensely Godward act. Do it toward God,
        who sees when others don?t. Jesus is testing the reality of God in our lives. Do we really have a hunger
        for God himself, or a hunger for human admiration?

Ian stating to supposed millions of listeners is all that is listed above that goes against these teachings and  screams look at me, look how pious I am and how I have suffered for my god.

Quotefasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who
    sees what is done in secret, will reward you? (6:17-18)

Apparently the Deacon wanted to show his "father in heaven" and us how he had suffered for him all in contrast to the supposed words and acts of Jesus.

www.kemc.net/sermons/TF.pdf

Centurion73

Once again Ian tries to argue that HIS point as being the only acceptable point to have on a subject and will play hard and fast with facts or try to imply the facts are other than they are.

QuoteEven in a very free society like ours, people of faith are often treated like second-class students--sometimes, ironically, in the name of the First Amendment:   

Most Christians often treat non-christians as third class citizens or some kind oflower I.Q.'d person.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/ar...
QuoteTwo students who were threatened with suspension at the College of Alameda after one of them prayed with an ailing teacher in a faculty office can sue the community college district for allegedly violating their freedom of speech, a federal judge has ruled.

Quotewith other teachers, on two occasions in November and December 2007. The second time, a day when Bell was feeling ill, another teacher entered the office and told Kyriacou, "You can't be doing that in here,"

All legal as they were informed that the action may be objectionable to some regardless of whatever religion it is.

QuoteIn seeking dismissal of the suit, lawyers for the Peralta Community
College District argued that the school was entitled to designate faculty
offices as "places for teaching and learning and working," and not for
"protests, demonstrations, prayer or other activities" that would be
disruptive.

What if the KKK wanted to use the offices for that, that is why they have these restrictions.

Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute, which is
representing the students, said, "It is alarming that a publicly funded
college would seek to suspend and expel students for praying on campus,
then dig in its heels to defend an untenable, unconstitutional position."

I agree they should not be charged just told not to do it any longer in such a common area but to say it is an untenable, unconstitutional position is false. 

I only assume the following response is that of Mr. Punnett.

QuoteSure, they might respect the First Amendment but have they read it recently?  It?s not really that hard:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

I know the college doesn?t represent Congress but it does represent the state imposing an unreasonable restriction on any religious expression. ( My words  How, the Congress or State is NOT saying you cannot exercise your religion or religious beliefs  or your exercise of them, it is saying you cannot violate other citizens rights to not be subject to them in a public venue, why should Cristian have more rights than any other religious view or act? (skewing the facts here Ian.)  

QuoteAnd by the way, I never said what kind of prayers those were that got these women in trouble.  Some of you just might have assumed they were Christian prayers while others might have heard foreign sounding names and assumed Muslim or Hindu or heard college campus and might have supposed that they were Wiccans who were offering a spell for healing or some such.  Fact is, I don?t know what kind of prayers those were and according to the Constitution, it doesn?t matter.

QuoteIt doesn?t matter to some people, especially in academia who believe that college campuses should be a caldron for all free thinking as long as those free thoughts don?t turn religious and that seems to be the simple Alpha and Omega of it these days.

These are Public institutions and most colleges and even HS will offer a private area for students whom wish to pray together. To imply that not to allow public display of  religious displays may be offensive to some or not being "a caldron for all free thinking" is a very narrow view for a man of such high religious standards to hold. Key words Ian should learn and concepts, Public Education Law and Private education. The Public education system must take into account all of the constituents and all THEIR rights.  Private education you can design it the way you want but to imply that the public institutions are not free thinking is unfair to all who may teach or be an educator there.   

EvB

QuoteMost Christians often treat non-christians as third class citizens or some kind oflower I.Q.'d person.

WTF?  Not in MY world!  In fact, I find it quite reversed - a person of faith (any deity-focused faith) is seen as suspect in terms of both intelligence and sanity.

bobcollum

QuoteMost Christians often treat non-christians as third class citizens or some kind oflower I.Q.'d person.

QuoteWTF?  Not in MY world!  In fact, I find it quite reversed - a person of faith (any deity-focused faith) is seen as suspect in terms of both intelligence and sanity.

I think this depends on alot of variables, but i'm sure it goes both ways.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 13, 2009, 12:21:11 PM
WTF?  Not in MY world!  In fact, I find it quite reversed - a person of faith (any deity-focused faith) is seen as suspect in terms of both intelligence and sanity.

You my dear (if I may be so bold) are one of the few and you seem to me to think outside of the prescribed dogma and formulate usually a very rational and cohesive message even when we do not agree, I can see your thought process and you usually just do not spout off. That is MY problem with dogmatic religions IF god ( always intended with the small g) made free will the that god made the will to think and or question not just follow blindly. You do have to admit that to hear or see god or apparitions of such a person UN-religious would be lableds by the DSM -!V as schitzoprhenic, delusional, for seeing, talking, and believing in an unseen being.

I am saying this as a discussion to all not as a put down as I have my own belief system and it is just as strange if not stranger than most. If I had to label myself as I have had to do for employment, military service, etc I am I do not know what else to call it than native but like most that live here I am an American first fuck labels that they use to segregate and control us. The sweat lodge is our church and if that is not strange to you I admire your knowledge and acceptance and I offer any whom come to upstate NY a chance to come to one if they so wish.

EvB

QuoteYou my dear (if I may be so bold) are one of the few and you seem to me to think outside of the prescribed dogma and formulate usually a very rational and cohesive message . . .

What I find so scary bout this is that 1) I know you are sincere and not being flip and 2) it's such a COMMON misconception. 

First of all, Christianity, with very good reason, gets a bad rap.  However, my own experience (and some of this may be due to living in New England Academia Land - but not all!) is that dogmatic people, of all faiths, are a loud minority (after all, loudness often goes hand in hand with being dogmatic - does it not?) You do not assume, I hope, that all Muslims are terrorist. Most people don't assume that the majority of Christians spend time protesting outside of abortion clinics or gay-bashing. The idea, as an example: that most of the vocal people who do do so in the name of Christ is equivalent to most professed Christians spend time protesting outside of abortion clinics or gay-bashing is an egregious error in logic.

What annoys me, almost beyond tolerance at times, is how Christians in this country - like white men, are ALWAYS fair game.  To paraphrase Ian (I hope in this instance you'll forgive me, since he is an "out" Christian we are both familiar with I thought he'd be a good example) I'm always having to explain or defend something some Christian somewhere said.  I shouldn't have to do that.  I'll answer for what I have said. Don't put me in the middle of that.  That may explain some of his crankiness - it certainly resonates with me enough to explain mine. 

As for the various incarnations of the DSM - don't get me started or I'll be here forever.  They're not the fucking Holly Writ! (nor, in the absolute and literal sense, is what we call "scriture" - but that's another story) That said, even prfessionals in the field of psychiatry do not consider all instances of:  "seeing, talking, and believing in an unseen being." as a sign of scitzoid tendancies - (Oh how I miss John Mack!) Those who do, IMO, are just as ignorant, presumtious and dogmatic as those who feel the need to prescribe religion (and religion AS THEY SEE IT and EXPERIANCE IT) as the solution to everything.

In short - you know the wrong Christains.

Centurion73

QuoteI know you are sincere and not being flip

Yes, I am being sincere about how you treat and think and react about issues.

Quotedogmatic people, of all faiths, are a loud minority

Unfortunately that I disagree with you on as it seems they use the dogma as a soapbox to expound the virtues of this or that and Cornell is a very much the land of academia also.

QuoteYou do not assume, I hope, that all Muslims are terrorist.

Not at all, I work with a very lovely Imam whom I use to interact with some of the Muslims that I have to interview for various reasons and if they dare to disrespect me even if he is not around it is not good. HE expects then to LIVE their religion and not hate us or treat us as infidels he does show the love that the religion of Islam can have and it is not fake with him. Sometimes they will try and say the Qua'rn says this or that and he always has a counter of what it really says or means and he tells them "you're in America respect that."

QuoteTo paraphrase Ian (I hope in this instance you'll forgive me, since he is an "out" Christian we are both familiar with I thought he'd be a good example) I'm always having to explain or defend something some Christian somewhere said.  I shouldn't have to do that.  I'll answer for what I have said. Don't put me in the middle of that.

I thought I hear Ian say they were not Christians but I was in a Sangria haze and it was yummy. However, as a Deacon that is the place he has chose to be in and yes it is his job to correct the phrase and in his lofty position he should NOT be cranky about it if he chose to serve god then he has to serve god 24/7 that is the calling it is not a 9-5, just my opinion though. I know how hard it is to live the calling (mine is other 24/7) and I will admit I get cranky and so I must cut Mr. Ian some slack too as he does appear to be a human.

QuoteThat may explain some of his crankiness - it certainly resonates with me enough to explain mine. 

That is all Bullshit your's is 24/7 PMS  ;D, now you know I am kidding but you gotta admit that was a good set up.

QuoteIn short - you know the wrong Christains.

No my dear (once again liberties taken) I know a lot of truly wonderful ones as well and as this may appear sappy I count you as one of them and to those of you whom think it is sappy "fuck off" with all due respect  ;D.

EvB

Quoteto those of you whom think it is sappy "fuck off" with all due respect  ;D.

Mwahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

PS:  I'm starting to think some Christian cleric frightened you when you were a very young child  :P

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 13, 2009, 07:56:45 PM
Mwahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

PS:  I'm starting to think some Christian cleric frightened you when you were a very young child  :P

Hahahahahahahaahha, maybe so does that mean I sue and get paid? No, I was basically excommunicated (but was never communicated) because even as a youngster I would NOT bow before the Bishop and beg forgiveness for "natural sin." I will shock you,  I was a Catholic alter boy and no I was never fucked by a priest at least to my knowledge and if I was it was not that good that I remember it ;D. I was always the little heathen and they called me that  because my father was an American Indian and the "whore of a mother whom brought me screaming into this world" was Italian. So, I was expected to be Catholic little did they know I was and always will be the heathen and I would and never would bow before any man.

Quote from: Centurion73 on April 13, 2009, 09:24:14 PM
I was always the little heathen and they called me that  because my father was an American Indian and the "whore of a mother whom brought me screaming into this world" was Italian. So, I was expected to be Catholic little did they know I was and always will be the heathen and I would and never would bow before any man.

Cool, you're like Bronson in "The Magnificent 7".  I got kicked out of Sunday school the year before confirmation because they asked some questions and I didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

Centurion73

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 13, 2009, 11:01:08 PM
Cool, you're like Bronson in "The Magnificent 7".  I got kicked out of Sunday school the year before confirmation because they asked some questions and I didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

Bronson was the man, I wish I were like him but that is cool to think that anyway. You got kicked out too, guess they only want those that cannot think, question,  or be conformed and molded into one of the Borg.