• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts
Quote from: Supernormal on June 30, 2009, 11:53:51 PM
Here's another endlessly repeated catch phrase.

Ian: "Where you gonna take us?"

Wow, i forgot about that one... well either way i won't be taking him anywhere...

Da_Brain

Ian: "Where you gonna take us?"

I'd like to take him right to the shit house and lock the door permently! But, hey, that's just me!  ;D

valdez

...The Shroud of Turin  is actually a photograph of Leonardo Da Vinci?  That was a cool segment. 

EvB

Quote from: valdez on July 05, 2009, 04:02:05 AM
...The Shroud of Turin  is actually a photograph of Leonardo Da Vinci?  That was a cool segment.

I wish I'd hear it all -I'm having configuration trouble with my media players.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . .

Da_Brain

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 16, 2009, 09:21:50 PM
S.T.F.U.A - Severely Talented, Fabulous, & Under Appreciated

Now I know Im getting old! Here I thought that stood for " Shut The Fuck Up You Asshole!"

I can't hang any more in this politically Incorrect World! Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!   ;D

Frys Girl

Quote from: Da_Brain on July 05, 2009, 07:30:31 PM
Now I know Im getting old! Here I thought that stood for " Shut The Fuck Up You Asshole!"

I can't hang any more in this politically Incorrect World! Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!   ;D
I meant shut the fuk up already  :P

HAL 9000

Quote from: EvB
I wish I'd hear it all -I'm having configuration trouble with my media players. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Not a problem - you can get the entire show
HERE

EvB

valdez

The Charles Manson connections to everything  was hard to follow.  Especially the Manchurian mind controll stuff.  Sunday nights undercover hit man  was creepy.  All I could think about was the story of the trailer park couple that wanted to have their kid killed because he was getting into trouble and causing them to get evicted and they offered, as payment, the kid's stereo system and "anything else in that he had in his room."
     Its things like that that will cause God to give this world right back to the monkeys.
     Or the cockroaches.

Supernormal

I meant to write this before now. I noticed that many people on both forums wrote that Ian was like Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart, who were Pentecostal preachers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Those televangelists are as far from Episcopalian priests as one can get. Our favorite Saturday night host has liberal and progressive religious views, which are a fary cry from the theological traditions of Fundamentalist Evangelicals. I don't get why people portray him as a conservative Christian. His belief system likely is closer to Shelby Spong's than to Billy Graham's. He can be needlessly argumentative at times, but he doesn't push his spiritual views on folks IMO.

EvB

I am a fan of Ian's - and I can't in ANY way associate his theology with Baker or his ilk.  (other than their being nominally "Christian"  - BAH!)

And yes - while I doubt he is 100% in  Spong's camp (Spong is - after all - the ultimate Episcopalian anarchist - and his role is to push people to their limits) I would more quickly associate him with Sponge that the more conservative Episcopal hierarchy - such as it is -- in fact - the MOST Conservative of the  Episcopal clerics have reunited with the Roman church - and many have been welcomed - wives, children and all)

The bottom line, to me, is that theology - whatever the tradition, is a fascinating story of culture - and the impact of faith - no matter what someone actually "believes" or not.

Faith is an difficult thing to measure.  It depends - primarily - on personal experience- and not on empirical evidence.

When people ask me why I believe in God - I can only tell the that I have a story - and that it will never mean much to anyone but me.  Some things are beyond language - and religion is metalanguage  However - if they want to hear it - in a the "metaphoric/supernatural" sense I'd be happy to tell it. Just remember that it is MY story - and therefore impossible to communicate 100%  - You Will have your own stories -and they Will have an impact on how you intemperate mine.

That's life - at least life in corporal form.

Supernormal

I didn't mean to imply that Ian shares all of Shelby Spong's views. I just used him as an example of a clergyman with extremely liberal views. I see Punnett as closer to him than he is to Baptists like Jerry Falwell and Charles Stanley (a fave of mine). That last comment may surprise people who read my complaints about "fundies" who appear on the show. I don't think that people like Stanley are "fundies". I think that people like Bob Larson and Hal Lindsey are. Steve Quayle comes to mind too. Of course, there are New Age fundamentalists, as well. 

EvB

QuoteI didn't mean to imply that Ian shares all of Shelby Spong's views. I just used him as an example of a clergyman with extremely liberal views. I see Punnett as closer to him

And I absolutely agree.  Sorry if I seemed to imply otherwise.

Supernormal

Quote from: EvB on July 18, 2009, 11:18:04 PM
And I absolutely agree.  Sorry if I seemed to imply otherwise.
It's cool. There's no need to apologize. :-) I just wanted to make sure that it didn't seem like I was putting Ian in the same category as the very heretical and heterodox bishop. Spong is like a rabbi who doesn't believe in God.

valdez

I don't think he planned it, and he never came out and said it, but there were moments tonight where it seemed Ian was attempting to expose the good Dr Barnard  for the Veggan Fascist  he was, and backed off before the show went into a tailspin.  Anyone who uses the word  "legume" is not to be trusted.
     Buzz Aldrin was the first man to take a wiz on the moon?  Somehow, with a name like that, it just kind of makes sense.

EvB

QuoteSpong is like a rabbi who doesn't believe in God.

True - and yet I'm fascinatd by him at times...  I get his semi-regular email.. Once in a while I actually read it.  ;)

Marc.Knight

Ian Bork Bork Bork.

xpmark12

Punnett is a bore IMO.His questions to guests are convoluted unnecessarily to make himself sound super intellegent.His lengthy,wordy questions usually contain Punnett answering his own question hoping to get the guest to agree with him.This is a clever ruse, it makes it seem Punnett is actually the expert.Punnett does have intellectual curiosity and I will give him that and he seems well informed for his shows, I just think he tries too hard to impress listners and that gets tiresome quickly.I can't listen to the man for any length of time.

KnyeGuy

Quote from: xpmark12 on July 25, 2009, 05:36:01 PM
Punnett is a bore IMO.His questions to guests are convoluted unnecessarily to make himself sound super intelligent.His lengthy,wordy questions usually contain Punnett answering his own question hoping to get the guest to agree with him.This is a clever ruse, it makes it seem Punnett is actually the expert.Punnett does have intellectual curiosity and I will give him that and he seems well informed for his shows, I just think he tries too hard to impress listeners and that gets tiresome quickly.I can't listen to the man for any length of time.

I mainly don't care for his redundant "where are ya gonna take us" and  the endless poor jokes he dishes out.
But now that you mention it, he is pretty smug and condescending ( which works out fine when he directs it at some idiotic guest).
And yeah, he's also pretty verbose in his comments and questions too.
At least he doesn't resort to a 4th grade level of vocabulary and grammar when conducting an interview though - I'll give him props for that.

This being an anti-Punnet thread, I must make myself clear that most, if not all good arguments FOR Punnet, are really just a testament to how bad Noory is in contrast. 

valdez

R. Gary Paterson  (aug 1) is always a cool guest.  You can't go wrong with sex, drugs, death, and rock n' roll.
     I was getting a bad feeling about Robert Chapman  with all his doom and gloom, and I was surprised at how easily Ian joined him in trashing capitalism.  My suspicions were confirmed when Chapman revealed his belief that that the U.S. government was behind 9-11.  That was all I needed to know.  File this guy under "loony pop tart pseudo-economist goon."

Quote from: valdez on August 02, 2009, 05:43:57 AM
R. Gary Paterson (aug 1) is always a cool guest.  You can't go wrong with sex, drugs, death, and rock n' roll.

I was getting a bad feeling about Robert Chapman...

This week the old Ian finally made an appearance.  I comment on Ian a lot, mostly because his 'quirks' are grating to me, but also because he has the ability to be so much better.  This show was better. 

Ian has been pounded hard on this and other sites the past few weeks, and last night he comes in with a show that does not contain the 'quirks' people complain about most.  Coincidence?

Quote from: Supernormal on July 18, 2009, 08:44:41 PM
I meant to write this before now. I noticed that many people on both forums wrote that Ian was like Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart, who were Pentecostal preachers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Those televangelists are as far from Episcopalian priests as one can get. Our favorite Saturday night host has liberal and progressive religious views, which are a fary cry from the theological traditions of Fundamentalist Evangelicals. I don't get why people portray him as a conservative Christian. His belief system likely is closer to Shelby Spong's than to Billy Graham's. He can be needlessly argumentative at times, but he doesn't push his spiritual views on folks IMO.

Ian is so clearly not a right-winger, I too found it strange to see some of those posts.

There is a popular columnist in our local paper that one day wrote something to the effect that he had gotten a fairly large email response from 'Christians' to one of his earlier columns, and that he was quite surprised to find out they were not all right-wingers.

This is a supposed well read, educated person, over the age of 60, with his own newspaper column.  He had gone his entire life with the notion that all Christians were exactly the caricature portrayed in the media.

I guess he never heard of Jesse Jackson, Martin Luther King, Jr., never heard Carter or Clinton or Ted Kennedy or any of the other non-right wing well known people discuss their religion. 

These posters seem to have also bought into the media portrayal.  They hear the word Christian, and don't need to hear more.  Just put it on auto-assumpt.

Supernormal

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 04, 2009, 02:11:12 PM

Ian is so clearly not a right-winger, I too found it strange to see some of those posts.

There is a popular columnist in our local paper that one day wrote something to the effect that he had gotten a fairly large email response from 'Christians' to one of his earlier columns, and that he was quite surprised to find out they were not all right-wingers.

This is a supposed well read, educated person, over the age of 60, with his own newspaper column.  He had gone his entire life with the notion that all Christians were exactly the caricature portrayed in the media.

I guess he never heard of Jesse Jackson, Martin Luther King, Jr., never heard Carter or Clinton or Ted Kennedy or any of the other non-right wing well known people discuss their religion. 

These posters seem to have also bought into the media portrayal.  They hear the word Christian, and don't need to hear more.  Just put it on auto-assumpt.

Thanks for posting that. That columnist was so ignorant and uninformed! My guess is that he lived in a plastic bubble on one of the coasts. If not there, he probably resided in Washington. Much of the MSM is completely out of touch with folks in the flyover states. Some of them have such a condescending and patronizing manner when they talk about Middle America. It's as if they're anthropologists studying primitive tribes. A few of them have been guests on "Morning Joe". 

Borr

I have a lot respect for Ian. As a cycnical, gun-toting socially progressive atheist he's one Christian I wouldn't mind inviting over for a barbecue. Then again, I also believe that he's a closet agnostic.

Quote from: nirvanix on June 21, 2009, 05:56:32 PM
.... I still don't care for his dreadful cornball humor, but he's intelligent and when he keeps his ego and religious beliefs in the closet...

'If any aliens are listening out there, eat the Canadians first, they taste better... where are you going to take us...'

EvB

QuoteThen again, I also believe that he's a closet agnostic.

I think you'll find, if pushed to the wall - most liberal Christians have a bit of agnostic in them - at least when it comes to the "can't prove it TO YOU" part.

Quote from: ArtBellFan on April 05, 2009, 09:31:30 PM
Agreed, time for Ian to go, he doesn't have the decency to greet his audience or guest any more...

There is a Seinfeld episode where George Costanza wants to seem nonchalant when he calls a woman for a date, so he decides to eat an apple while he's talking to her.

I think of this every time I hear Ian come on at the start of the show - it almost sounds like he is chatting with someone else, then, not missing a beat, turns his attention to the Coast audience.

Just get an apple Ian.

valdez

I think the problem is that George has his little intro, and Knapp has his over blown tiresome nano-quantum-spaceballs intro, and Ian probably wants to stay out of it completely.  Thank you, Ian.  God loves you.

Quote from: Aveline on August 08, 2009, 08:57:55 PM
Likely not - but then this is a guy who works a LOT - and often ore in the summer (Various County Fair stuff in the wider Twin Cities area and beyond  -- where they bring in a radio personality to MC some sort of show - or contest - or something  . . .)

So - maybe it's mood.  It's REALLY hard to tell!

He played an Elton John tune for a bumper - 'Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting', then made a big deal about how much he liked the song, even though he thought Elton was a wuss and would be the last guy he would think of for going out and looking for a fight on a Friday. 

It was kinda funny, and not typically grating, but.... well sure, Ian, but wouldn't you and the Pillsbury Dough Boy be tied for second to last...?

EvB

QuoteIt was kinda funny, and not typically grating, but.... well sure, Ian, but wouldn't you and the Pillsbury Dough Boy be tied for second to last...?

Well - he didn't use the word wuss - which to me would imply that he thought being tougher was preferable.   But yes, he did imply that he found the image of John as an Irish or English working class "have a few beers and beat the crap out of someone" kinda guy amusing.

My guess is that Ian would not find your observation that he ranks close to John  - and perhaps the Pillsbury Dough Boy - so far from wrong!