• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

scottydawg

It was a great weekend, I got my 2 favorite Hosts,Lt. Ian and Capt. Knapp! It's like Picard and Kirk  8) ;D

albrecht

Poor Ian gets a show in which there are two tragic mass shooting incidents he needed to address. You could almost hear him holding back when he was forced to have John Lott on the show.

Ian is an oddball Deacon, or whatever his position is, he seemed to agree with Sci-Fi writer guest, J. Michael Straczynski, who lied to talk to people to get contact with some writers (Ian called it "social engineering") and said he lied on his resume and faked a Master's Degree. Ian: "you gotta do what you gotta do." From both a Deacon in the church AND an academic and professor? Would he tolerate one of his students cheating or faking a degree? Wouldn't fake degrees water-down the real degrees of which Ian's schools provide?

Ian also criticized religion in an odd manner for a Deacon and religious scholar in that he proposed, basically, that in a modern society "with so much freedom" that we don't need to "stick to rules" and that "rules" or a "charismatic leader" might have "been necessary" when we were "back in the some desert where rules are needed so that people as a society or tribe survive." I get his point, and it is somewhat valid, but is more of an argument one would hear from an atheist, leftist, or libertine than a Deacon.  He said "fundamentalism" is due to people not wanting to deal with modernity and "too many choices."  Again that argument could be made but he always seems to be arguing against Christianity, or religion, at least as traditionally and historically believed and practiced. 

This is my paraphrasing of some of Ian's comments, don't take the above as exact quotes. 

I enjoyed Max Brooks and Ian doing "World War Z" in the "War of the Worlds" manner. One of my favorite C2C shows. I never saw the comic book but I thought that show was a lot better than the movie. Radio is, after all, the 'theater of the mind.' And it was a fun show to suspend belief and listen at night to the history of the zombie war. 

ps: "The Changeling" with George C. Scott is MUCH better than "The Changeling" that he wrote starring Eastwood, Jolie, etc.   

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2019, 11:15:42 AM
...Ian also criticized religion in an odd manner for a Deacon and religious scholar in that he proposed, basically, that in a modern society "with so much freedom" that we don't need to "stick to rules" and that "rules" or a "charismatic leader" might have "been necessary" when we were "back in the some desert where rules are needed so that people as a society or tribe survive." I get his point, and it is somewhat valid, but is more of an argument one would hear from an atheist, leftist, or libertine than a Deacon.  He said "fundamentalism" is due to people not wanting to deal with modernity and "too many choices."  Again that argument could be made but he always seems to be arguing against Christianity, or religion, at least as traditionally and historically believed and practiced. 

This is my paraphrasing of some of Ian's comments, don't take the above as exact quotes. 

Isn't he Episcopalian?  They're pretty lax on the whole rule thing, not without justification (a pun probably only you will get). Cf Romans 14 the whole chapter but in particular:

QuoteLet us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
vs. 13-14 KJV and even clearer in some modern translations

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 04, 2019, 11:48:37 AM
Isn't he Episcopalian?  They're pretty lax on the whole rule thing, not without justification (a pun probably only you will get).

Hey now. 

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 04, 2019, 11:48:37 AM
Isn't he Episcopalian?  They're pretty lax on the whole rule thing, not without justification (a pun probably only you will get). Cf Romans 14 the whole chapter but in particular:
vs. 13-14 KJV and even clearer in some modern translations
Ha. Yeah, I got the pun. Yes, I believe that is his Church denomination. 

I think they are, generally, attempt to be a sort of "middle-way" between more "hardcore" Protestantism(s) and Catholic(s)/Orthodox(s.) But they, at least officially, abide by Book of Common Prayer, Bible, the traditional Creeds, etc.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on August 04, 2019, 12:01:38 PM
Hey now.

Gosh I'm sorry, Walks; I forgot all about the good Lutheran boy!

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 04, 2019, 12:15:08 PM
Gosh I'm sorry, Walks; I forgot all about the good Lutheran boy!

Tis okay.   Sometimes I need a little prod to see if I am paying attention.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on August 04, 2019, 12:30:36 PM
Tis okay.   Sometimes I need a little prod to see if I am paying attention.

The establishment sleeps better knowing that the
best and the brightest are dead from the neck up.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2019, 12:09:21 PM
Ha. Yeah, I got the pun. Yes, I believe that is his Church denomination. 

I think they are, generally, attempt to be a sort of "middle-way" between more "hardcore" Protestantism(s) and Catholic(s)/Orthodox(s.) But they, at least officially, abide by Book of Common Prayer, Bible, the traditional Creeds, etc.

"Abide by" in the sense that they read and say and pray them, sure, but the idea that Christianity is a relationship with God rather than rule-keeping is nearly universal -- I can quote everyone from the pope to my old Pentecostal pastor on that point.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 04, 2019, 12:57:30 PM
"Abide by" in the sense that they read and say and pray them, sure, but the idea that Christianity is a relationship with God rather than rule-keeping is nearly universal -- I can quote everyone from the pope to my old Pentecostal pastor on that point.
Sure and an argument against the modern, or secular, apologists for whatever "social progress" or "anti-Christian" that is almost never properly explained to those Hollywood types- is that there is a New Covenant, so when they use the frequent arguments "you say we should stone witches," "you say homosexuals should be put to death," "you say...etc etc" the proper thing is to point out that is the "Old Law" (there are arguments in whether they, Mosaic Law, are also superseded by the Noahide Laws even amongst the Jewish folks) not most, at least large, Christian denominations doctrines or ideas. But along with the relationship many Denominations of Christianity argue that while the ability to obey even the basic Law (say the 10 Commandments) is impossible due to Original Sin, human frailty, the nature of the world, and so on (hence the reason for Jesus, Pope, or whatever depending on branches) doesn't mean that one shouldn't strive to do so and some claim good works or obeying the law(s) will be a result of having faith, being saved, having a relationship with God, etc. There also is substantial history of Anti-Paulists who say that Paul diminished the real teachings of Jesus.  And then are different ideas in some Denominations/Sects about making Earth as "heavenly" as possible versus "withdrawal from secular or worldly affairs" because the Earth is doomed by its own creation and nature (and some people are also) and just waiting it out for the final/end times.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2019, 01:12:20 PM
Sure and an argument against the modern, or secular, apologists for whatever "social progress" or "anti-Christian" that is almost never properly explained to those Hollywood types- is that there is a New Covenant, so when they use the frequent arguments "you say we should stone witches," "you say homosexuals should be put to death," "you say...etc etc" the proper thing is to point out that is the "Old Law" (there are arguments in whether they, Mosaic Law, are also superseded by the Noahide Laws even amongst the Jewish folks) not most, at least large, Christian denominations doctrines or ideas. But along with the relationship many Denominations of Christianity argue that while the ability to obey even the basic Law (say the 10 Commandments) is impossible due to Original Sin, human frailty, the nature of the world, and so on (hence the reason for Jesus, Pope, or whatever depending on branches) doesn't mean that one shouldn't strive to do so and some claim good works or obeying the law(s) will be a result of having faith, being saved, having a relationship with God, etc. There also is substantial history of Anti-Paulists who say that Paul diminished the real teachings of Jesus.  And then are different ideas in some Denominations/Sects about making Earth as "heavenly" as possible versus "withdrawal from secular or worldly affairs" because the Earth is doomed by its own creation and nature (and some people are also) and just waiting it out for the final/end times.

Haha yeah it's trendy to bash on Paul because people don't like what he says about homosexuality or women shutting up in church but people don't realize he was probably the most "liberal" of the apostles, arguing against enforcing circumcision and saying Christians could eat food-offerings made to other gods, no problem, and that the whole ethical system in Romans sounds frightfully modern and subtle and not judgey and you could drive a greyhound bus through it if you wanted to.

But such is today's practically illiterate society where you read a few pull quotes and think you understand everything about a man.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 04, 2019, 01:38:29 PM
Haha yeah it's trendy to bash on Paul because people don't like what he says about homosexuality or women shutting up in church but people don't realize he was probably the most "liberal" of the apostles, arguing against enforcing circumcision and saying Christians could eat food-offerings made to other gods, no problem, and that the whole ethical system in Romans sounds frightfully modern and subtle and not judgey and you could drive a greyhound bus through it if you wanted to.

But such is today's practically illiterate society where you read a few pull quotes and think you understand everything about a man.

Indeed. I hope Ian reads Bellgab. Haha.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2019, 02:44:19 PM

Indeed. I hope Ian reads Bellgab. Haha.
Yeeewww know, he just might, unlike the famous "author" who no doubt just has Tommee check it out occasionally.  Although, I well remember the hilarious real-time BellGab exchanges between Jorch and we haters of days gone by.  Such as when Jorch was so engaged on BG, he forgot his C2C guest.  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on August 04, 2019, 02:54:13 PM
Yeeewww know, he just might, unlike the famous "author" who no doubt just has Tommee check it out occasionally.  Although, I well remember the hilarious real-time BellGab exchanges between Jorch and we haters of days gone by.  Such as when Jorch was so engaged on BG, he forgot his C2C guest.  ;D
Fun times.  :D

albrecht

K_Dubb should've called in and offered Ian advice about pronunciation, spelling, and regional differences and Americanizations.  Because I've heard/seen various pronunciations of Knut, Canute, (Kuh-NEWT, Kay-Newt, or NEWT, etc.) With regard to the coach I've always heard it as NEWT-ROCKNEY. Though Reagan said the family said it was with the "Kuh" not the way many pronounce now. With the famous King I've seen different spellings. 

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2019/11/08
Knute Rockne Conspiracy/ Open Lines

Back in Depression times a small town nearby were trying to figure out a way to attract business/people/press. They let the school kids vote and the town became Rockne, TX. It didn't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockne%2C_Texas

albrecht

Interesting show with Cashill and "Amaryllis Fox." Raking up more of these damn leaves and listening.   Cathedral School, DC, UK, Oxford....yeah, there are no "coincidences" that she found herself working for the CIA.

Would be more fun if Cashill AND "Fox" were on together!  Her defense of the Deep State would've been fun conversation, even though she nuanced and back-tracked a bit, even mentioning Church Commission. Ian pronounces "cabal" in a weird fashion.  Cashill and her actually might agree on some things as now she has backtracked and pointed up back-channels, how media is faked, and how things work behind the scenes (paraphrased "it is like professional wrestling but people believe it is real and that is the danger. In international relations but also here at home.") 

Ian with his usual liberal ecumenialism jibbed very well with Fox's ideas, many of which were valid, but obvious. But good points about suicides, especially amongst Vets and LEOs.

Quote from: albrecht on January 12, 2020, 02:31:31 PM
Interesting show with Cashill and "Amaryllis Fox." Raking up more of these damn leaves and listening.   Cathedral School, DC, UK, Oxford....yeah, there are no "coincidences" that she found herself working for the CIA.

Like.  Where do live dude? 

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 12, 2020, 03:05:39 PM
Like.  Where do live dude? 

Currently in the People's Republic of Austin. Live Oaks have weird leaf schedules not like normal trees, they are ever-green but still drop leaves. The other oaks and trees dropped leaves for "winter" and are blown around. And the recent storm also brought down branches and leaves of all- luckily the "egg-sized" hail and tornadoes didn't make it here. Just heavy rain and wind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_virginiana

Quote from: albrecht on January 12, 2020, 03:10:29 PM
Currently in the People's Republic of Austin. Live Oaks have weird leaf schedules not like normal trees, they are ever-green but still drop leaves. The other oaks and trees dropped leaves for "winter" and are blown around. And the recent storm also brought down branches and leaves of all- luckily the "egg-sized" hail and tornadoes didn't make it here. Just heavy rain and wind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_virginiana

They have those down on the NC coast but not inland here.  Just seemed like you were eternally raking leaves.  My old house had gobs of hard woods - don't miss the raking.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on January 12, 2020, 02:31:31 PM

Would be more fun if Cashill AND "Fox" were on together!  Her defense of the Deep State would've been fun conversation, even though she nuanced and back-tracked a bit, even mentioning Church Commission. Ian pronounces "cabal" in a weird fashion.  Cashill and her actually might agree on some things as now she has backtracked and pointed up back-channels, how media is faked, and how things work behind the scenes (paraphrased "it is like professional wrestling but people believe it is real and that is the danger. In international relations but also here at home.") 

Ian with his usual liberal ecumenialism jibbed very well with Fox's ideas, many of which were valid, but obvious. But good points about suicides, especially amongst Vets and LEOs.

I've lost track of which of Cashill's theories concerning the loss of TWA 800 is his current favorite. 

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 12, 2020, 04:20:01 PM
I've lost track of which of Cashill's theories concerning the loss of TWA 800 is his current favorite.
;D   He might not either. Honestly I was letting him ramble and talking to a neighbor and so didn't hear what his latest is. Whatever it is he would say that theories develop as new information comes to light so any changes or opinions might conflict with either theories and explanations.  And the whole deal is suspect. What is your assessment?  From what I've been seeing re: Boeing 737 Max emails and such makes me more believing the 'official' story than I did before! And dual  "TWA Flight 800" accidents?

ps: it was curious how frequent caller "Meyat," or something, got cut off when asking guest about 9/11.....pointing out for Jack.  ;)

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on January 12, 2020, 04:37:05 PM
;D   He might not either. Honestly I was letting him ramble and talking to a neighbor and so didn't hear what his latest is. Whatever it is he would say that theories develop as new information comes to light so any changes or opinions might conflict with either theories and explanations.  And the whole deal is suspect. What is your assessment?  From what I've been seeing re: Boeing 737 Max emails and such makes me more believing the 'official' story than I did before! And dual  "TWA Flight 800" accidents?

ps: it was curious how frequent caller "Meyat," or something, got cut off when asking guest about 9/11.....pointing out for Jack.  ;)

From what I remember, he has espoused four different theories. Terrorist bomb, terrorist missile, and two different USN missiles theories....sub launched missile, and surface ship launched missile. Must admit to being surprised Ian opted to talk to Cashall, he's pretty far to the right. A month or so ago George had a former military combat pilot who now both flies commercially and helps passengers overcome their fear of flying.  George asked if he could use him as a resource on issues related to flying, he'd have been far better than Cashill.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 12, 2020, 05:12:55 PM
From what I remember, he has espoused four different theories. Terrorist bomb, terrorist missile, and two different USN missiles theories....sub launched missile, and surface ship launched missile. Must admit to being surprised Ian opted to talk to Cashall, he's pretty far to the right. A month or so ago George had a former military combat pilot who now both flies commercially and helps passengers overcome their fear of flying.  George asked if he could use him as a resource on issues related to flying, he'd have been far better than Cashill.
You could tell that Cashill and Ian weren't copacetic. I think Ian at some point later- though not in reference directly to Cashill- said that producers book the guests.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 12, 2020, 05:12:55 PM

No way.  The Navy requires very strict accounting for its missiles and if you lose one you have to pay for it. 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 16, 2020, 01:21:48 AM
No way.  The Navy requires very strict accounting for its missiles and if you lose one you have to pay for it.

Of course.  I personally challenged him on the sub launched AA missiles, no such system existed then or does now.  My best friend from college has over forty years with a USN submarine contractor up east as a systems integration engineer. He assures me, other than MANPADs that might be carried on subs, there are no AA missile systems on submarines.  Apparently the RN looked at it, but decided it would be to costly to develop/retrofit such a system for the limited capability it might offer.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 16, 2020, 08:35:35 AM
Of course.  I personally challenged him on the sub launched AA missiles, no such system existed then or does now.  My best friend from college has over forty years with a USN submarine contractor up east as a systems integration engineer. He assures me, other than MANPADs that might be carried on subs, there are no AA missile systems on submarines.  Apparently the RN looked at it, but decided it would be to costly to develop/retrofit such a system for the limited capability it might offer.
The idea of AA from subs is featured in some of the "thriller" novels but usually what is trying to be targeted is ASW helicopters.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/6894/have-submarine-launched-anti-aircraft-missiles-finally-come-of-age

https://defense-update.com/20120214_idas-submarine-launched-surface-to-air-missile-system.html

albrecht

Some funny callers in open line on Friday. One caller was a crotchety older gentlemen complaining about the youth have no respect for property and the "nice things we give them" and even "put their feet up on the upholstery" and wished we had a global government that operated like Singapore who could correct these youths and other ungrateful people who don't respect property and "beautiful things" and have them work in farm camps etc. He further postulated that "all Christians" are looking forward to this global government. Ian disagreed. 

Charles from Elgin, TX called and even explained to Ian how to properly pronounce the town's name.  Norry always butchers it and Charles is too polite, or confused, to correct him. Again Charles was confused but, I guess, his essential claim was that we nuked Japan to extend the war. Ian disagreed but said it was a novel idea.   

Ian seemed to like caller about frequencies and changing the 'concert pitch' to another frequency (432Hz instead of the 440Hz) and it would bring peace and various health benefit.  Ian also liked caller who said drones can be good for tracking whales and planting things in farm.  Ian also knows about Lutheran basements and pitched, along with caller, about Church Basement Ladies play.

And we had the caller who sounds like a Chicago "Da Bears" accent about how religion is bad and guns are good. He said an old rifle with a bunch of buckshot is in comparison to a machine gun. Ian called him rude for calling last weekend and snarkingly called guest "married to a Kennedy." And people shouldn't be able to have a Gatlin Gun on the roof of his car. Caller pointed out "in Pennsylvania you can own a Gatlin Gun because it is operated manually." He got Ian on that one.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 20, 2020, 05:50:12 PM
Some funny callers in open line on Friday. One caller was a crotchety older gentlemen complaining about the youth have no respect for property and the "nice things we give them" and even "put their feet up on the upholstery" and wished we had a global government that operated like Singapore who could correct these youths and other ungrateful people who don't respect property and "beautiful things" and have them work in farm camps etc. He further postulated that "all Christians" are looking forward to this global government. Ian disagreed. 

Charles from Elgin, TX called and even explained to Ian how to properly pronounce the town's name.  Norry always butchers it and Charles is too polite, or confused, to correct him. Again Charles was confused but, I guess, his essential claim was that we nuked Japan to extend the war. Ian disagreed but said it was a novel idea.   

Ian seemed to like caller about frequencies and changing the 'concert pitch' to another frequency (432Hz instead of the 440Hz) and it would bring peace and various health benefit.  Ian also liked caller who said drones can be good for tracking whales and planting things in farm.  Ian also knows about Lutheran basements and pitched, along with caller, about Church Basement Ladies play.

And we had the caller who sounds like a Chicago "Da Bears" accent about how religion is bad and guns are good. He said an old rifle with a bunch of buckshot is in comparison to a machine gun. Ian called him rude for calling last weekend and snarkingly called guest "married to a Kennedy."

Lutheran basements?! ???