• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

b_dubb

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 10:09:08 AM
you left out: Ian doesn't only ask questions - he also jumps to conclusions - and more often than not false ones.
That's why I cant stand Ian. he's lacking insight and knowledge and thus jumps to false conclusions and overlooks real good questions and possible answers, and is too self convinced which makes him arrogant like a small child - even though he may not realize it cause of lacking intelligence.

you think IAN jumps to conclusions?  how about Noory's greatest hits ...

"Is it a portal?"
"Is it an angel?"

Or Noory's habit of dissing respected scientists (Hawking) except when they're on the show (Michio) and then he kisses their ass?

you're entitled to your opinion George ... er ... Lena ... but i don't think you're making a very persuasive argument for your case.  and if you want to start an "Ian Punnet Sucks" thread in this forum ... i believe that you have capability of doing so.  though i doubt it will get 50k responses

Lena

Quote from: b_dubb on January 22, 2011, 11:57:57 AM

you think IAN jumps to conclusions?  how about Noory's greatest hits ...

"Is it a portal?"
"Is it an angel?"
those would be questions in my book.

Or Noory's habit of dissing respected scientists (Hawking) except when they're on the show (Michio) and then he kisses their ass?
I read his book - a short history of time, or whatever it was called again.
Was a nice read, but I don't like Hawking either.
Just because he is good at math and sits in a wheelchair with some crazy vocoder doesn't make him know anything better than I do.
Especially when it comes to god, aliens and such stuff he recently farted through the airwaves.

you're entitled to your opinion George ... er ... Lena ... but i don't think you're making a very persuasive argument for your case.  and if you want to start an "Ian Punnet Sucks" thread in this forum ... i believe that you have capability of doing so.  though i doubt it will get 50k responses
thank you kindly, asshat ... er b_douche

For the record, I started such an Ian Punnett sucks thread - the admin merged it with this 'Ian Punnet for slimy grovelers' thread unfortunately.
As for the 50k responses assumption - well I don't give a damn about majority agreement, but usually I get people up and hopping mad and thus lotsa replies, turd.

We don't like Noory because he asks dumb questions and seems like he's not really paying attention.  Right after a guest makes a statement, George will ask about the statement, as if he isn't listening to his own show!  It's getting a little bizarre, or as George says, bazaar.

Ian is pretty good.  He seems like he is listening to the show, and anyone who smacks down Quayle automatically gets five points.

But Knapp is the best, because he actually brings saucer content.

Silent

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 12:18:09 PM
Just because he is good at math and sits in a wheelchair with some crazy vocoder doesn't make him know anything better than I do.
Especially when it comes to god, aliens and such stuff he recently farted through the airwaves.

Saying that Hawking doesn't know anything better than you just proves how stupid you are.  He's never claimed to KNOW anything about god, aliens, or santa claus as far as i've ever heard.  But you can bet your ass he knows more about physics than everything you know put together.

P.S. George gets teabagged by Ian every Saturday night.  Sometimes on holidays.

fabucat

Quote from: b_dubb on January 22, 2011, 11:53:04 AM

no.  i like Ian because when people make outrageous, ridiculous claims he actually presses them to substantiate their claims.  where Noory would just continue eating falafel and grinding on his full color portrait photo of James Cameron

Ian and Knapp are the best interviewers. Noory is a babysitter

I've sometimes felt that Ian could be an egotistical creep.  But maybe he has a reason to be that way. 

fabucat

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 10:09:08 AM
agree.
you left out: Ian doesn't only ask questions - he also jumps to conclusions - and more often than not false ones.
That's why I cant stand Ian. he's lacking insight and knowledge and thus jumps to false conclusions and overlooks real good questions and possible answers, and is too self convinced which makes him arrogant like a small child - even though he may not realize it cause of lacking intelligence.

Ian's logic only goes so far: "It's round, so it must be a ball".
That's simply not enough, and frankly it's annoying.

Not like George, who, out of the blue, said that the stimulus package passed in 2009 did not create ONE job and was a waste of money.  I'm not here to argue the merits of the stimulus package.  There are arguments pro and con.  Yet George made a conclusory statement months after the legislation was passed. 

fabucat

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 12:18:09 PM
those would be questions in my book.
thank you kindly, asshat ... er b_douche

For the record, I started such an Ian Punnett sucks thread - the admin merged it with this 'Ian Punnet for slimy grovelers' thread unfortunately.
As for the 50k responses assumption - well I don't give a damn about majority agreement, but usually I get people up and hopping mad and thus lotsa replies, turd.

You sound like a teen-aged or college-aged boy.  Not only don't I believe that those are your guns (very expensive looking ones), but your avatar is not your picture, and you're name's not Lena. 

Come to think of it, I'd think that you were Noory in drag, except that Noory's  not that clever. 

Your comments about Ian being pompous at times is well taken.  He also doesn't have as good a speaking voice as George does.  I've got to admit that unlike today's young folks, George knows how to use his diaphragm when he speaks. 

fabucat

Quote from: Silent on January 22, 2011, 04:03:44 PM
Saying that Hawking doesn't know anything better than you just proves how stupid you are.  He's never claimed to KNOW anything about god, aliens, or santa claus as far as i've ever heard.  But you can bet your ass he knows more about physics than everything you know put together.

No, "Lena" the frat-boy at Tau Kappa Epsilon is just being a troll.  I wouldn't call him completely stupid, however. 

fabucat

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on January 22, 2011, 03:40:10 PM
We don't like Noory because he asks dumb questions and seems like he's not really paying attention.  Right after a guest makes a statement, George will ask about the statement, as if he isn't listening to his own show!  It's getting a little bizarre, or as George says, bazaar.

Ian is pretty good.  He seems like he is listening to the show, and anyone who smacks down Quayle automatically gets five points.

But Knapp is the best, because he actually brings saucer content.

It says a lot when you and I both agree on something. :)  Therefore we must be right.

Lena

Quote from: Silent on January 22, 2011, 04:03:44 PM
Apparently you don't know much about Mr. Hawking, else you would have heard about his recent comments to avoid dangerous aliens,
but you certainly know alot about groveling before idols the media puts up for you.
Of course Hawking knows more about physics and math than I do ::) what I meant was he doesn't know more about life, and it's totally meaningless what he says about god and aliens.
He voiced his opinion about "god did not create the universe" and "aliens are dangerous" in books and the media, and I say he has no more clue than I do in these subjects, probably less considering his being trapped in a wheelchair for years, which might have made him even angry at god and his fate.

Silent

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 04:58:38 PM
Apparently you don't know much about Mr. Hawking, else you would have heard about his recent comments to avoid dangerous aliens,
but you certainly know alot about groveling before idols the media puts up for you.
Of course Hawking knows more about physics and math than I do ::) what I meant was he doesn't know more about life, and it's totally meaningless what he says about god and aliens.
He voiced his opinion about "god did not create the universe" and "aliens are dangerous" in books and the media, and I say he has no more clue than I do in these subjects, probably less considering his being trapped in a wheelchair for years, which might have made him even angry at god and his fate.

What he said is that if there are aliens we should'nt be welcoming them to earth as they probably would just kill us off.  That's called an opinion.  And what you have is your opinions, not knowledge.  Don't talk shit about the guy with one foot in the door hoping to get out of it.  His reputation is from his knowledge and theories in science.  People only put any stock in his opinions because he knows his shit with science.  If that doesn't suit you, fine, it's only a way of looking at things, not facts.  But don't come in here with your fucking attitude pretending somone like Hawking is a dumbass, not back that up with anything but insults, and expect for anyone to be nice.

fabucat

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 04:58:38 PM

I generally don't care for most scientists' lack of spirituality.  Good call about why Hawking might be an atheist.  You probably have more insight into Hawking than George does. 

I once wrote to Noory and asked him to feature Francis Collins, who now heads the National Institutes of Health near where I live.  Collins not only is a respected scientist, but he's also an avowed Christian, who doesn't believe that science is antithetical to religion.  I doubt Noory could get Dr. Collins, as he has a pretty stressful "day job."

Lena

Quote from: Silent on January 22, 2011, 05:29:24 PM
blablabla
take care not to fall to the dark side, with all that anger in you,
and stop worshiping idols, then you don't need to get personal when I talk about them.

Quote from: fabucat on January 22, 2011, 04:52:57 PM
It says a lot when you and I both agree on something. :)  Therefore we must be right.

We agree on the issues that are most important in life! Also, like you, I am not fooled by stock art.

Silent

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 05:36:42 PM
and stop worshiping idols, then you don't need to get personal when I talk about them.

Are you from that Westboro Baptist Church?  That sounds exactly like what they say to people.  I'll be careful in the future to not care as much about our understanding of the universe so I don't go to hell.

EDIT:  I just read the thread about Alex Jones you're posting in.  You staunchly defend Alex Jones there and George Noory here.  If what we're doing is chosing idols to worship I think I win.  What a tool I am for even bothering.

b_dubb

Quote from: fabucat on January 22, 2011, 05:29:38 PM
I generally don't care for most scientists' lack of spirituality.  Good call about why Hawking might be an atheist.  You probably have more insight into Hawking than George does. 

I once wrote to Noory and asked him to feature Francis Collins, who now heads the National Institutes of Health near where I live.  Collins not only is a respected scientist, but he's also an avowed Christian, who doesn't believe that science is antithetical to religion.  I doubt Noory could get Dr. Collins, as he has a pretty stressful "day job."

i believe science and religion are complimentary.  science deals with observable, quantifiable phenomena.  religion basically picks up where science leaves off.  religion is based on faith.  if you want to be legalistic about how your interpret the Bible (or whatever religious text you choose), then you're pretty much stuck with thinking the two are contrary to the other. 

b_dubb

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 10:50:13 AM

Colt New Service

I like guns too

in the wake of the Tuscon shooting and your use of BOLD TEXT, you could see how this might be construed by some as a threat.  an empty threat.  but a threat.  it certainly isn't relevant to the discussion at hand

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 05:36:42 PM

Great performance Lena.  Can I get an autograph?

Lena - Satellite (Germany)

Quote from: fabucat on January 22, 2011, 04:46:32 PM

Come to think of it, I'd think that you were Noory in drag, except that Noory's  not that clever. 

If that's Noory in drag, I'd hit on it. ;D

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Lena on January 22, 2011, 10:50:13 AM

Colt New Service

I like guns too

What's with the stupid gun crap? 

Lena

Quote from: b_dubb on January 22, 2011, 09:48:17 PM

in the wake of the Tuscon shooting and your use of BOLD TEXT, you could see how this might be construed by some as a threat.  an empty threat.  but a threat.  it certainly isn't relevant to the discussion at hand
rofl.
Sorry honey, I did not intent to frighten you at all.
Someone made a comment that Noory likes guns. I like them too, so I picked some with pretty engravings.
Honestly, I can't believe you really took that as a threat,
but maybe you're one of the modern men turned into chicken.

b_dubb

Quote from: Lena on January 23, 2011, 01:36:07 AM
rofl.
Sorry honey, I did not intent to frighten you at all.
Someone made a comment that Noory likes guns. I like them too, so I picked some with pretty engravings.
Honestly, I can't believe you really took that as a threat,
but maybe you're one of the modern men turned into chicken.

i'm someone who considers the ramifications of the things i say, how i say them, and whether they will put people ill at ease

valdez

So...Ian has this guy on named Will Elliott who wrote a book about being a recovering schizophrenic, but at the start of the interview Mr. Elliott says that he doesn't think he was schizophrenic after all, and that all the voices in his head were, and are, real, and that the world is being secretly run by lizard aliens.  Ian does a double take, shakes his head, and continues the interview being real careful not to say what I know he wanted to say, which was something like, "what are you, nuts?...Again?"
     Ian also took a moment to say he was cutting back on doing double duty weekends for the sake of his health.
     Disclosure.  Refreshing and appreciated.   
Will Elliott
Not schizophrenic.

slipstream

Quote from: Lena on January 21, 2011, 08:18:34 AM
it would only be fair if you modify the tread title to:
IAN PUNNETT SUCKS! -
it's unfair to have only George Noory suck, and imho Ian sucks way more than George.

Actually there is a anti-Punnett thread, so please feel free to post your negative thoughts on him there.  I happen to like Punnett most of the time.  He generally asks apt questions, and comments just the same.  Yes, sometimes he jumps to conclusions, or is slightly more combative then I like.

Silent

Quote from: valdez on January 23, 2011, 05:43:50 AM
     So...Ian has this guy on named Will Elliott who wrote a book about being a recovering schizophrenic, but at the start of the interview Mr. Elliott says that he doesn't think he was schizophrenic after all, and that all the voices in his head were, and are, real, and that the world is being secretly run by lizard aliens.  Ian does a double take, shakes his head, and continues the interview being real careful not to say what I know he wanted to say, which was something like, "what are you, nuts?...Again?"
     Ian also took a moment to say he was cutting back on doing double duty weekends for the sake of his health.

haha it sounds like a pretty good show.  I'll be sure to check this one out.  Thanks!

coastfan

On a show from last November, Ian states that he's been hosting for thirteen years. He's been around longer than Noory?

KMKMKM

I think another reason why Ian gives a more in-depth interview than George is that he seems to always actually read up on the guest, or read their book before the show.  Obviously this is much easier when you only host once a week but it definitely results in better interviews.

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: valdez on January 23, 2011, 05:43:50 AM
Will Elliott
Not schizophrenic.

Awesome info. Will acquire this show for grave tonight, it should be a hoot

anagrammy

WILL ELLIOTT = has flipped me as far as Ian is concerned.  I always thought he was likeable and genuine, just was put off by the clergyman aspect.  BUT NOW!  Damn, I curtsy with respect.  Here is a guy who is scheduled --and everyone is prepped for-- his show on recovering from schizophrenia and the book he wrote, which only came out a year ago.  He launches into the basic interview and the guy announces that he no longer believes he had schizophrenia, he now believes that information he has gathered about reptilian shape-shifters has convinced him that he wasn't crazy, he was "aware."  When he identified the lid flickering of his school teacher as a schizo delusion, he was mistaken, she was actually a shape shifting reptilian.

Now let's pause here and imagine what challenge the host now faces.  Fling the 3x5 cards over your shoulder because none of what you prepared now fits.  The entire show must be modified on the cuff, live.  And that's exactly what Ian did.  Carefully, so gingerly, he used approaches which I use with my own schizophrenic son!  He said, "Will, what would you say to the person who hears your renunciation of your book's basic premise and then thinks your medication is no longer doing the job.  How would you respond--just hypothetically?"

Ian did a fabulous job handling Will with respect and still asking the tough questions the listener is wondering.  So now I am a fan.  Just imagine for a real tee-hee moment, what would have happened if George Noory were on duty that night.   Holy shit--it would have been the end of him, for sure.   He simply could not have done it--just doesn't have the training Ian obviously does, nor the background in general mental illness topics.

Anagrammy

Another great post, Anagrammy.  I have been an Ian fan for quite some time, and am glad to welcome you to the ranks.

You have summed it up quite well - just imagine how this show would have gone with George Noory.  My guess is that George would have fed this poor man's delusions with his usual pat responses - "Interesting", "You might be on to something", "Could your teacher have been an angel?", etc.  I can understand that that Ian's style might not be for everyone, but there is no denying that he is a professional, and can conduct a 4 hour interview (minus breaks and bumper music) based on experience, and dare I say it, good old fashioned intelligence. 

Kinda like Art used to do....