• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Minneapolis/St.paul riots

Started by nooryisawesome, May 28, 2020, 07:48:30 PM

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 04:27:16 PM
Cops don't really use the batons for anything other than shoving people back, held in horizontally in front, because it looks so brutal on camera when they whack away at some guy.  The shields are primarily a defense against hand-held pepper spray at close range, and against low-velocity pepper-filled balls which are supposed to be fired at the ground in front of you but are not infrequently aimed at your head hoping for an oopsie.  Large Rubbermaid garbage-can lids are often appropriated but carved styrofoam or other lightweight packing material is also seen, wrapped in duct tape.  There are some neat parallels to ancient leather-wrapped wicker shields that strive for a balance between agility and modest protection.

You forgot the humble umbrella. Too fragile for the immediate front line, it appears more often in the second or third ranks. Of course, they appear in Hong Kong with a little more regularity.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 05:08:57 PM
A number of notables have taken pepper balls to the dingdong and now wear cups.
Pussies.

WOTR

Quote from: Juan on July 16, 2020, 02:22:30 PM
Indentured servants had it easier?  My ancestors were the largest single importation of indentured servants into what is now the US.  About 1500 arrived in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.  Seven years later, 500 - which included children born here - were left to escape by walking about 80-miles to St. Augustine.  A death rate of more than 2/3 is easy?

I keep coming back to the book I'm reading "white trash." Mostly because it deals with so much of what is not commonly known and was written by a historian. The life of "white trash" was valued lower than a slave in the south. You could sell black children- they had value. You could enslave a black man. White trash was more worthless than that... It is a ugly book if you like your history sanitized...

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 02:17:16 PM
Of course none of those statements is meant to be exclusive.  They are designed to elicit cavils that warrant clobbering objectors over the head with your skateboard and running away really fast.  But in general I agree, sloganeering is for the stupid.

I agree. They should not be exclusive. But they are. If I chant "all lives matter" at a protest, I'm likely to be knocked in the head by a random skateboard. They have demanded that it be narrowed down. I am demanding that it now be narrowed to red headed black trans women.

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 10:20:20 AM

Also, to make things perfectly clear, the newly declared Chinook Lands Autonomous Territory is, in fact, pro-elk:

It is a cool t-shirt but you'd better order it now because Portland police are shutting it down this morning  :(

The People's Free Democratic Republic of Pate (PFDRB) has a statement from the duly elected by unanimous vote Glorious Dear Dictator for Life pate:
Quote from: pate on July 16, 2020, 06:25:44 PM
I once worked on Chinook helicopters, they are bad-ass.  Therefore I wish to decry the police actions against fellow Democratic Republicans of this morning as both heinous and totally not cool.  That is all.  Carrie Anne.

-p

ediot:  I'd put up the PFDRB logo/flag but I haven't gotten around to designing it yet.  First I intend to find that perfect avatar photo, it has been a difficult search;  many have been toyed with, but I think an avatar photo should say "forever."  Thank Yew In Advice.

ToWitIot: I hope the subtle modification I just made does not break BellGab.

Threadiot:  I am relieved.  TIA

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on July 16, 2020, 05:59:01 PM
You forgot the humble umbrella. Too fragile for the immediate front line, it appears more often in the second or third ranks. Of course, they appear in Hong Kong with a little more regularity.

I wonder why they are not as popular here.  I suspect it is because, when folded, they could be used as a weapon, or maybe it's just because they aren't as cool as a shield you can paint on.

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on July 16, 2020, 06:05:29 PM
I agree. They should not be exclusive. But they are. If I chant "all lives matter" at a protest, I'm likely to be knocked in the head by a random skateboard. They have demanded that it be narrowed down. I am demanding that it now be narrowed to red headed black trans women.

Ok I think I can play this game since I am clearly woker than you and very anxious to demonstrate my virtue to my new friends.  Why is "all lives matter" such a popular rebuttal to what, on its face, should be a universally accepted truth?  Why not pat them on the head, say "of course, dear" give them plywood blocks to color on with their spray paint?

K_Dubb

Quote from: pate on July 16, 2020, 06:25:44 PM
The People's Free Democratic Republic of Pate (PFDRB) has a statement from the duly elected by unanimous vote Glorious Dear Dictator for Life pate:
ediot:  I'd put up the PFDRB logo/flag but I haven't gotten around to designing it yet.  First I intend to find that perfect avatar photo, it has been a difficult search;  many have been toyed with, but I think an avatar photo should say "forever."  Thank Yew In Advice.

ToWitIot: I hope the subtle modification I just made does not break BellGab.

Threadiot:  I am relieved.  TIA

Solidarity, comrade!  Will you be opening an embassy in the CLAT?  Though defunct, CHOP has an embassy offering beer, hard cider, and copious weed to our brothers-in-arms, paid for with Sorosbux.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 07:03:50 PM
Ok I think I can play this game since I am clearly woker than you and very anxious to demonstrate my virtue to my new friends.  Why is "all lives matter" such a popular rebuttal to what, on its face, should be a universally accepted truth?  Why not pat them on the head, say "of course, dear" give them plywood blocks to color on with their spray paint?
Ah, good. I like games. I am far more redneck than you, so I have an answer... They do matter. I would love to pat them on the head and give them a reward for their "wokeness." But when I turn my back to get a chocolate chip cookie, they hit me in the head with a skateboard simply because I am wearing a MAGA hat.

*Now let's ask the question why I can't say that "white lives matter"? Surely that is a universally accepted truth as well? Am I allowed to say "Black lives matter, and so do white?" Or is that still unacceptable?

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 16, 2020, 06:05:29 PM
I keep coming back to the book I'm reading "white trash." Mostly because it deals with so much of what is not commonly known and was written by a historian. The life of "white trash" was valued lower than a slave in the south. You could sell black children- they had value. You could enslave a black man. White trash was more worthless than that... It is a ugly book if you like your history sanitized...

I had professor who argued, no way one would do so today, that the white trash, leased convict labor, share-croppers and crofters (of any race,) and mine and factory labor were often in worse positions than the slaves. Because slaves had value, were fed, housed, and bred. The other was essentially 'use em and throw em out' and in many cases exploited by having to pay for their provisions, debt, housing, etc. Leased convict labor still exists, not quite as bad as bad then. Back when one could even 'hire' a person to fight in place of them during wartime.

Now, this position is controversial. But almost every society has had a form of slavery and the moral implications of it are bad, of course. But, also, there was value seen in them (and sometimes in various societies a slave could work their way out, be set free by 'owner,' or rebel and get their own freedom.)  Just as many people, races, religions, ethnicities, have been victims of wars, exploitation, attempted genocides, slavery, etc. Why only some, now, get special considerations and treatment (or even coverage) is another story.

Riot Ribs?   All you can eat?  Earlier today there emerged a Pro-Elk splinter group and now Ribs!   Slowly, I am being enticed to K_Dubb's side.

https://twitter.com/riotribs

https://twitter.com/SnackVanTM/status/1283957592889233414

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 16, 2020, 08:09:58 PM
Ah, good. I like games. I am far more redneck than you, so I have an answer... They do matter. I would love to pat them on the head and give them a reward for their "wokeness." But when I turn my back to get a chocolate chip cookie, they hit me in the head with a skateboard simply because I am wearing a MAGA hat.

*Now let's ask the question why I can't say that "white lives matter"? Surely that is a universally accepted truth as well? Am I allowed to say "Black lives matter, and so do white?" Or is that still unacceptable?
Because the "aspects of white culture" is very bad. The Smithsonian apparently says. Things like planning for the future, showing up on time, striving. progress, logical thinking, hard work, family, are "white" and, thusly, bad. Or something.  Amazing times.

https://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=7952.msg1405744#msg1405744 

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
Riot Ribs?   All you can eat?  Earlier today there emerged a Pro-Elk splinter group and now Ribs!   Slowly, I am being enticed o K_Dubb's side.

[tweet]1283957592889233414[/tweet]
This is approaching the evil suburbia. Grilling? And then the "ribs" to simply pander to BLM? Meat? Animal exploitation and PROCESSED meat (worker exploitation.) Talk about white privilege and mansplaining! And using gas? Pipelines through Native American territories and global warming concerns.

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on July 16, 2020, 08:09:58 PM

Ha ha ha you have fallen into my trap.  Because we were not in the habit of assuring each other that certain lives mattered before someone proposed that black lives do, other formulations, however inherently true, function rhetorically as aggressive rebuttals or emendations to diminish the truth of the original.  Only perfect assent is permitted, you are a racist asswipe, and, were I inclined to dislike you for a slack-jawed Maga chud rather than contrive to get you to take your cute hoodie off, I would bash your head with a clear conscience.  Thus are two people in perfect agreement persuaded that they are in fact mortal enemies.

An exception allows for groups that are arguably worse off on the scale of oppression like indigenous folks and black trannies, which leads to the new (to me) label "BIPOC" for Black & Indigenous People Of Color which basically means "No Asians" since they are doing fine.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 09:18:37 PM
Ha ha ha you have fallen into my trap.  Because we were not in the habit of assuring each other that certain lives mattered before someone proposed that black lives do, other formulations, however inherently true, function rhetorically as aggressive rebuttals or emendations to diminish the truth of the original.  Only perfect assent is permitted, you are a racist asswipe, and, were I inclined to dislike you for a slack-jawed Maga chud rather than try to get you to take your cute hoodie off, I would bash your head with a clear conscience.  Thus are two people in perfect agreement persuaded that they are in fact mortal enemies.

An exception allows for groups that are arguably worse off on the scale of oppression like indigenous folks and black trannies, which leads to the new (to me) label "BIPOC" for Black & Indigenous People Of Color which basically means "No Asians" since they are doing fine.
Black trannies are actually some of the most powerful. They have become millionaires, have reality shows, became first ladies (as an old Jewish comedian claimed,) have podcasts, are picked up by British actors (and a famous black one,) and so on. They don't need reparations or sympathy.

By Asian, what do you mean? It is a "contested term."  Asian covering all of Asia, applying like the Brits to what most in the US would say Middle-East, or just for Orientals?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
Riot Ribs?   All you can eat?  Earlier today there emerged a Pro-Elk splinter group and now Ribs!   Slowly, I am being enticed to K_Dubb's side.

https://twitter.com/SnackVanTM/status/1283957592889233414

We have always been pro-elk don't listen to that liar Andy Ngo!  Long Live the Elk!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on July 16, 2020, 09:26:37 PM
By Asian, what do you mean? It is a "contested term."  Asian covering all of Asia, applying like the Brits to what most in the US would say Middle-East, or just for Orientals?

No Asians period.  Or Mexicans, either, though they are as indigenous as our own, if not more so.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 09:30:33 PM
We have always been pro-elk don't listen to that liar Andy Ngo!  Long Live the Elk!

Well someone wasn't Pro-Elk but that is neither here nor there.  Free Ribs!  If I have to torch a library full of fascism, well so be it. Slabs of baby backs!
What about roast corn?  Throw in some roast corn and I'll start dropping bridges man.

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 09:32:18 PM
No Asians period.

There's an ablative procedure that can make this happen. I'm in no position to be doing so, but based on what it's done for me and my penis' preferred environment--recommended.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on July 16, 2020, 09:26:37 PM
It is a "contested term."

This is absolutely my area. My c.v. is practically writing itself these days!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2020, 09:41:10 PM
Well someone wasn't Pro-Elk but that is neither here nor there.  Free Ribs!  If I have to torch a library full of fascism, well so be it. Slabs of baby backs!
What about roast corn?  Throw in some roast corn and I'll start dropping bridges man.

Gawd how many times do I have to explain this?  The city took the elk away because it was too much fun and threatened to become an embem or potent symbol of the revolution.  The only damage is to the pedestal which was being harvested for missiles to use on the fascists.  If you're going to whine about some dings on the dado you need the meat more than I do, soiboi.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 09:51:34 PM
Gawd how many times do I have to explain this?  The city took the elk away because it was too much fun and threatened to become an embem or potent symbol of the revolution.  The only damage is to the pedestal which was being harvested for missiles to use on the fascists.  If you're going to whine about some dings on the dado you need the meat more than I do, soiboi.

If they were truly Pro-Elk at the core the whole Elk Structure would not have been disturbed in the least. However, never mind the Elk.

Of more interest is the stuff in the photo past the ruined platform that formerly held the Elk.  Look at that park area.  Are those Elms?  Not many of those babies of that size left. Dutch Elm claimed almost all of them. Why didn't they chop those sons of bitches down? Stick it to the man! A running bus?  Why wasn't that flipped over?  Park benchs not flipped over.  Hell the grass is even cut in that park.  I'm under whelmed at the lack of destruction in that area.
Heck - the white light up man in the crosswalk is even working.

The don't seem to be taking this radical, anarchy thing seriously in Portland.  At least your Seattle had those packs of "sissies" breaking down doors and cornholing anything with a pulse [according to that guy in that video].

Moar anarchy and less bored teenagers Portland!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2020, 10:07:59 PM
If they were truly Pro-Elk at the core the whole Elk Structure would not have been disturbed in the least. However, never mind the Elk.

Of more interest is the stuff in the photo past the ruined platform that formerly held the Elk.  Look at that park area.  Are those Elms?  Not many of those babies of that size left. Dutch Elm claimed almost all of them. Why didn't they chop those sons of bitches down? Stick it to the man! A running bus?  Why wasn't that flipped over?  Park benchs not flipped over.  Hell the grass is even cut in that park.  I'm under whelmed at the lack of destruction in that area.
Heck - the white light up man in the crosswalk is even working.

The don't seem to be taking this radical, anarchy seriously in Portland.  At least your Seattle had those packs of "sissies" breaking down doors and cornholing
anything with a pulse.

Moar anarchy and less bored teenagers.

Well the people will rage until the weed fairy shows up.  There is actually a guy handing out enormous joints.  Between that and the Chop embassy's beer cooler it's pretty chill, barring the intermittent tear-gassing.  When are you coming?

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 09:18:37 PM
Ha ha ha you have fallen into my trap.  Because we were not in the habit of assuring each other that certain lives mattered before someone proposed that black lives do, other formulations, however inherently true, function rhetorically as aggressive rebuttals or emendations to diminish the truth of the original.  Only perfect assent is permitted, you are a racist asswipe, and, were I inclined to dislike you for a slack-jawed Maga chud rather than contrive to get you to take your cute hoodie off, I would bash your head with a clear conscience.  Thus are two people in perfect agreement persuaded that they are in fact mortal enemies.

Allow me to "break character" for a moment... "Thank-you."

I may not agree with the reasoning. I may not believe that saying all live matter it is worthy of being stoned to death. But at least now I understand the reason from that side.

Now, back to Bellgab: You may say that people did not say that other lives matter prior to BLM. But I wish to assure you that my brethren on storm front have maintained that white lives matter for decades now.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 10:17:36 PM
Well the people will rage until the weed fairy show up.  There is actually a guy handing out enormous joints.  Between that and the Chop embassy's beer cooler it's pretty chill, barring the intermittent tear-gassing.  When are you coming?

Not a weed guy - I've never tried it and not about to spoil that record but ribs and beer?  Chance to get out of this damned heat?  I'll be out next week!

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on July 16, 2020, 10:19:47 PM
Allow me to "break character" for a moment... "Thank-you."

I may not agree with the reasoning. I may not believe that saying all live matter it is worthy of being stoned to death. But at least now I understand the reason from that side.

YW yeah sloganeering is stupid.  It's the kind of rationale that takes 30 seconds to explain but nobody ever does, and people would rather keep hollering black/all lives matter at each other, imagining that they are saying something intelligent.  But now you are a little bit woke -- it will take forever to get the smell off.

It's the same thing with ACAB where they're not addressing cops as the heroic individuals they often are but as employees in a flawed system that, because of their loyalties to it, can't be trusted, aren't working for you, and aren't your friends if it comes down to it -- basically like any other government employee.  We are being herded into our camps, forced apart by the simplest possible devices.

pate

Elks are the actor's guild?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpM_ljkoI5k

I reserve judgement.

ediot: hash-tagBRAISEeMCee!

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 16, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
Solidarity, comrade!  Will you be opening an embassy in the CLAT?  Though defunct, CHOP has an embassy offering beer, hard cider, and copious weed to our brothers-in-arms, paid for with Sorosbux.

pate zes:

Quote from: pateAlthough I main-hops apper as leader by uniaccordion Woad.  I solmen delque...  Never again.  This GL*T offering, disgusting. 

And another thing, eye love how you love me!

CHINOOK LIVES MATTER

-p

This all makes sense to citizens of the PFRDP, we stand unashamed before the Dear Leader.  Interpretation is left to the reader.

-

ediot: as an aside that last bit mike may bee haiku? A nautical... mmm

2wiriot:  I should have typed CH*P?  God promised fire.

thread-ot:  I cannot say (sic) or (Ibid)?

K_Dubb

The sacred elk god has returned long live the sacred elk!

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 17, 2020, 01:45:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFQl_OPofU

...elks must, like their elphantine cousins;  surly dance to the music of that site as they wander deaf in the night.

ediot: ediot

Jackstar

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2020, 10:07:59 PM
Are those Elms?  Not many of those babies of that size left. Dutch Elm claimed almost all of them.

I claimed the rest, and then went back and fertilized his too. Y'all would be surprised how far the market is willing to go in order to procure eligible dryad seed. That's no longer my area, but if it had gone wrong at all, then I would know about it. Company policy.

... what? It's a living.

K_Dubb

Determined to destroy all vestiges of elkism, professional iconoclasts employed by the city, who previously kidnapped the sacred elk, now dismantle his altar.  Will this brutal inquisition ever stop?

https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/1284137625691942912

Fortunately we have several large inflatables.