• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coronavirus 2020

Started by MV/Liberace!, January 23, 2020, 11:29:38 PM

Quote from: whoozit on May 15, 2020, 01:39:40 PM
I think it is these wacky decisions that make it easy to see any sort of conspiracy you want.  Truth be told there is no simple correct response.

Unless you live on an isolated island:

"The Tristan da Cunha Island Council made the decision on Monday 9th March 2020 to not allow passengers to disembark from visiting cruise ships at the island. "

https://www.tristandc.com/government/news-2020-03-15-visitsban.php

K_Dubb

Quote from: whoozit on May 15, 2020, 01:41:47 PM
Should we make the feeble stay at home too?  Wouldn’t it be easier to round them up and put them someplace safe?  Wait...

Only if they're fat.  Not obese, I mean just ugly fat.  A whole economy driven by restaurant deliveries would spring up overnight, saving that beleaguered industry.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 01:38:39 PM
Hey that is my pet idea you guys better do it or we'll never know if it works!  Seriously, what is your problem with it?

That's virtually apartheid you're talking about. Just imagine you've spent most of your life working* only to be told that you can't leave the house for an unspecified period of time. People would kill themselves at record levels. Remember Kant's Categorical Imperative, that when making a law it should apply to all.

*Not necessarily. See Falkie thread.

whoozit

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
Only if they're fat.  Not obese, I mean just ugly fat.  A whole economy driven by restaurant deliveries would spring up overnight, saving that beleaguered industry.
You made me lol with this one.  :D

K_Dubb

Quote from: whoozit on May 15, 2020, 01:41:47 PM
Time to get ready for a run lest you want to round me up for getting fat.  ;)

Ha ha ha move 'em out chubbycakes.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2020, 01:48:36 PM
That's virtually apartheid you're talking about. Just imagine you've spent most of your life working* only to be told that you can't leave the house for an unspecified period of time. People would kill themselves at record levels. Remember Kant's Categorical Imperative, that when making a law it should apply to all.

Kant never knew the sheer terror of COVID-19!

Like I thought, you would rather treat everyone as though they have equal risk rather than commit the inequity of applying data that strongly suggest otherwise.  Who is actually denying science now?  Protect the vulnerable in relative safety, sustained indefinitely by the young and healthy!  Quarantine is not a punishment, it's a lifestyle!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 01:58:12 PM

Like I thought, you would rather treat everyone as though they have equal risk rather than commit the inequity of applying data that strongly suggest otherwise.  Who is actually denying science now?  Protect the vulnerable in relative safety, sustained indefinitely by the young and healthy!  Quarantine is not a punishment, it's a lifestyle!

I'm not denying science, it's perfectly obvious that it disproportionately affects the old and sick. I wish people would stop saying this as though it's some clever point they've made. It's true of every illness where you need a sound immune system! I don't want to live under the sort of soft fascism you seem to want. You just know that all your tobacco and promiscuous buggery make it highly unlikely that you'll live very long anyway.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 01:58:12 PM

I thought that you, of all people would be more understanding. For many being fat is not a lifestyle choice. Some are just born that way- it is strictly genetics. For others, they are only following who they are. To judge them is extraordinarily unfair- and to force them to deny who they are is unthinkable. The conversion therapy so often forced upon them in gyms and sporting clubs must end! And to consider singling them out for quarantine?  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1FrqwZyKw

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2020, 02:09:14 PM
I'm not denying science, it's perfectly obvious that it disproportionately affects the old and sick. I wish people would stop saying this as though it's some clever point they've made. It's true of every illness where you need a sound immune system! I don't want to live under the sort of soft fascism you seem to want. You just know that all your tobacco and promiscuous buggery make it highly unlikely that you'll live very long anyway.

The point isn't the data -- everyone can see -- but what you do with it.  Which is to ignore an obvious compassionate approach in favor of pursuing some egalitarian fiction, at the expense of everyone else in society.  Typical lowest common denominator stuff.  Plus, when applied unjustly, mass quarantine now reveals its true character as a punishment which is to be thrown off as quickly as possible.

I really hope you guys persist with this.  I am drooling over the geriatric riots.

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on May 15, 2020, 02:09:46 PM
I thought that you, of all people would be more understanding. For many being fat is not a lifestyle choice. Some are just born that way- it is strictly genetics. For others, they are only following who they are. To judge them is extraordinarily unfair- and to force them to deny who they are is unthinkable. The conversion therapy so often forced upon them in gyms and sporting clubs must end! And to consider singling them out for quarantine?  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1FrqwZyKw

Haha clever.  But no, for reasons that will occur to me eventually I am very sure.

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 15, 2020, 01:32:24 PM
I'm the one resorting to Hyperbolic rhetoric?  Let me remind you of what you said in your post.

"The US policy is that if attacked with WMDs, that the response it to go nuclear. Since China and Russia still exist, they didn’t do this. The fact that the President has not been forthcoming with an explanation, means that he’s either in on the gag, or else his spooks did to him what they did to JFK. In any event, the President is not demonstrating any constructive leadership against it."

Correct me if I misinterpret you but what you are saying is that because Trump hasn't nuked China and Russia for their use of WMDs and has not explained to you why he hasn't chosen to start WWIII, he isn't demonstrating constructive leadership. 

That's not just hyperbolic, it's bat shit crazy.

Please, correct me if I have misstated official US policy.

Man dies with lethal 0.55 blood-alcohol level -- listed as COVID death

The Montezuma County Coroner’s Office is disputing the state’s claim of a third fatal case of the coronavirus in Cortez, saying the person died of alcohol poisoning.

County Coroner George Deavers said the person tested positive for COVID-19, but an investigation by him and the pathologist determined the cause of death was ethanol toxicity. The person’s blood-alcohol content was 0.55, or almost seven times the legal driving limit of 0.08 in Colorado, Deavers said. A BAC of 0.3 is considered lethal.
Deavers

“COVID was not listed on the death certificate as the cause of death. I disagree with the state for listing it as a COVID death, and will be discussing it with them this week,” he said Tuesday.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/324539?utm_source=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndicated

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on May 15, 2020, 05:06:57 AM
My guilty pleasure has been keeping a tab open with Georgia's COVID info. I will be honest- when they first said they were lifting restrictions as fast as they did, I thought it a very poor idea. I really did think they would see a massive spike in deaths. But that has not materialized. I know the case number is dropping as well... But I ignore case numbers figuring that death numbers tell a much more accurate story (given false positives, false negatives, inconsistent testing between states and countries.)

Although I thought they would see a spike, I also recognized that their government was actually following the will of the majority of the people. To me, that is what they should have done, and I was impressed.

What is interesting is how many news outlets reported Georgia opening. Most almost were making fun of them. Now that things appear to be going alright (not perfect- but not too badly) there are no stories. It is almost as though they don't want to let the world know that Georgia is starting to function and it was not Armageddon.

I was unaware that "of mice and men" was a christmas tale. I think he probably was not the best host for selling garbage on television.
That would be C2C's own Connie Willis! Before she got on the Bigfootin' circuit she sold on QVC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPbVfCMOUzY

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 02:17:10 PM
The point isn't the data -- everyone can see -- but what you do with it.  Which is to ignore an obvious compassionate approach in favor of pursuing some egalitarian fiction, at the expense of everyone else in society.  Typical lowest common denominator stuff.  Plus, when applied unjustly, mass quarantine now reveals its true character as a punishment which is to be thrown off as quickly as possible.

I really hope you guys persist with this.  I am drooling over the geriatric riots.

You'd better get a caveat inserted into your so-called Declaration of Independence. All men are created equal...except the old. And fat people.

albrecht

Quote from: VC on May 15, 2020, 11:53:34 AM
It seems the dangerous "cell entry" Spike on this CV-19 Virus can be targeted effectively by our own Antibodies, according to this discovery, that's a possible reason why people do survive the illness. So, maybe this company is onto the solution before a vaccine can be developed? It will be interesting to follow its development and testing for approval nonetheless. I would NOT buy stock in it today or anytime soon though, unless you have alotto-lottery money to gamble and can lose it all on pure speculation.

In preclinical testing, Sorrento's antibody drug provided "100% inhibition" of SARS-CoV-2 â€" the new coronavirus that causes Covid-19 â€" within four days. Sorrento expects this antibody to be the first in a drug cocktail that would create a "protective shield" against infection.

"Our STI-1499 antibody shows exceptional therapeutic potential and could potentially save lives following receipt of necessary approvals," Chief Executive Henry Ji said in a written statement. "We at Sorrento are working day and night to complete the steps necessary to get this product approved."

An antibody drug is unique in coronavirus treatment research. Experts say the antibodies could either treat Covid-19 or provide preemptive immunity.

Sorrento researchers screened and tested billions of antibodies to narrow their coronavirus treatment candidates down to hundreds. They found a dozen that could prevent the viral protein from grabbing onto a key receptor in the body. The virus uses that receptor to enter human cells. There, it replicates.

The STI-1499 antibody completely blocked SARS-CoV-2 from infecting healthy cells, Sorrento said in a news release. Sorrento expects this to be the first antibody in a cocktail it's planning to call Covi-Shield. The biotech company plans to seek an accelerated regulatory review.

It's important to note Sorrento's test was preclinical. This means the biotech company hasn't yet tested its experimental coronavirus treatment in humans.
Interestingly a Biotech meeting sponsored by BioGen  was one of the initial "super spreaders."

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/03/09/biogens-boston-conference-continues-to-be-leading-source-of-coronavirus-cases/

https://www.wwlp.com/news/health/coronavirus/massachusetts-covid-19-cases-at-eight-after-biogen-meeting/ 

I think Micheal Crichton wrote this timeline.....

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2020, 02:48:29 PM
You'd better get a caveat inserted into your so-called Declaration of Independence. All men are created equal...except the old. And fat people.

Balls.  It is a national emergency where rights are suspended, unequally.  Nobody needed one to exempt draft-age men sent to die.

Here, because it makes medical sense to lock up the olds for an indefinite period, you are asking everyone to voluntarily stay home with them as a show of solidarity.  Utterly ridiculous.

Ultimately I think WOTR is right and, left to their own devices, most people would pursue a cautious personal choice that resembles the lock-up-the-most-vulnerable approach in practice, but we can't be trusted to do that by the nannies who have seized control in the name of the common good.

ItsOver

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 01:38:39 PM
Hey that is my pet idea you guys better do it or we'll never know if it works!  Seriously, what is your problem with it?
I get first dibs on the fatties.  I hear they're delicious when slowly smoked with pecan wood.

Quote from: Stupid Robbings on May 15, 2020, 02:28:22 PM
Please, correct me if I have misstated official US policy.

Allow me:

Clinton Issues New Guidelines on U.S. Nuclear Weapons Doctrine
"...to posture themselves in such a way as to not rely on launch on warningâ€"to be able to absorb a nuclear strike..."

https://www.armscontrol.org/act/1997-11/news/clinton-issues-new-guidelines-us-nuclear-weapons-doctrine

albrecht

Lest we forget Kant, although he likely didn't anticipate how far it would go, is responsible for this current lefty, post-modern philosophy of subjective reality, matter of perspective, and such. Schopenhauer might approve of the suicide deal.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2020, 02:47:19 PM
That would be C2C's own Connie Willis! Before she got on the Bigfootin' circuit she sold on QVC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPbVfCMOUzY
So that's when she had an honest job.

ItsOver

Quote from: Asuka Langley on May 15, 2020, 12:52:03 PM
FORCED VACCINATIONS AND BILL GATES TATTOOS ARE COMING! PREPARE TO BOOGLE!

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1261366886651924480

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ittUpOirwJA
Who's the guy wearing a mask the size of Texas, who originally said not to wear a mask?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2020, 03:00:26 PM
Balls.  It is a national emergency where rights are suspended, unequally.  Nobody needed one to exempt draft-age men sent to die.

Here, because it makes medical sense to lock up the olds for an indefinite period, you are asking everyone to voluntarily stay home with them as a show of solidarity.  Utterly ridiculous.

Ultimately I think WOTR is right and, left to their own devices, most people would pursue a cautious personal choice that resembles the lock-up-the-most-vulnerable approach in practice, but we can't be trusted to do that by the nannies who have seized control in the name of the common good.

As Pastor Niemoller might have said:

First they came for the old people,
And I said nothing because I'll probably die of AIDS by then anyway.
Then they came for the fat people,
And I said nothing, because I'm a spindly little Nancy.
Then they came for me,
And there was no one left to give a fuck.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2020, 03:06:05 PM
Lest we forget Kant, although he likely didn't anticipate how far it would go, is responsible for this current lefty, post-modern philosophy of subjective reality, matter of perspective, and such. Schopenhauer might approve of the suicide deal.

Schopenhauer is very interesting, particularly for artists and writers. His major book was basically a response to Kant filtered through an Eastern perspective.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2020, 03:19:42 PM
As Pastor Niemoller might have said:

First they came for the old people,
And I said nothing because I'll probably die of AIDS by then anyway.
Then they came for the fat people,
And I said nothing, because I'm a spindly little Nancy.
Then they came for me,
And there was no one left to give a fuck.

Oh good grief it isn't Auschwitz it's an extended staycation.  If I was there with you I could do your shopping and bake you Chelsea buns and play your piano -- you do have a piano, don't you?.  You would just have to bugger me senseless every night and buy me whatever I want.

ItsOver

That's virtually apartheid you're talking about. Just imagine you've spent most of your life working* only to be told that you can't leave the house for an unspecified period of time.
So, we're talking just a typical life style for the millions of Noory listeners and most of us basement dwelling, rat eating haterz, other than the "spent most of your life working" part.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2020, 03:44:21 AM
We've been through this. The fatality rate might not be high but we know that it's very infectious, hence the lockdown. If the level of infections gets out of control then so will the deaths. I think you're so locked into your own way of thinking that you can't see a very simple calculation.

More like simpleton calculation.  ::)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2020, 04:23:01 AM
The boy who cried wolf is a terrible analogy. First, there were wolves (viruses) in every case. Second, the kid was eventually right and got killed. Go and think about it some more.

Governments around the world, by and large, appear to have got a better grip on it than the US and UK. Unfortunately we are both suffering under feckless incompetents who couldn't be trusted to run a bath, let alone a country.

You're closing in on 100,000 deaths, and you have no way of knowing how this will develop further. I'm not unsympathetic to the arguments of people like you. If the government is denying people a livelihood they need to compensate you accordingly, but unfortunately most of you apportion blame to the wrong people. I can't believe what a shambles US politics is. I don't know how you let it continue, but we aren't much better.

Please! If there were two liberals with the exact same outcome you’d have no problem with it. You would even be praising their efforts. You’re not only not much better but far worse. Now go choke on the queen’s dick!

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2020, 03:23:37 PM
Schopenhauer is very interesting, particularly for artists and writers. His major book was basically a response to Kant filtered through an Eastern perspective.
Some levity during these troubled times in which we are all in it together but must stay away from each other. Of course impossible to pick but I think one of their best skits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfduUFF_i1A