• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coronavirus 2020

Started by MV/Liberace!, January 23, 2020, 11:29:38 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 24, 2020, 06:15:53 AM
Just for you Albrecht.  Enjoy your flight. 😈

[tweet]1231907252359045121[/tweet]

As if flying already isn't a hassle.

So the Chinese in typical fashion stole the idea from an American but made a shoddy product? 

Dean Koontz, a guest with Art and Ian over the years, wrote a book about a "Wuhan 400" virus being used for political purposes.

https://gulfnews.com/world/wuhan-400-novel-predicted-coronavirus-40-years-ago-internet-stumped-1.1581971564436

Quote from: albrecht on February 24, 2020, 05:06:53 PM
As if flying already isn't a hassle.

That's it?  I give you screaming man, wrapped to the very neck in plastic, next to a guy holding a roll of packing tape whom is looking all to pleased with himself, all in the row of an aircraft back by the shitter, while a bored flight attendant looks on and is only concerned with the dude filming the incident.  I give you that and you "As if flying already isn't a hassle me?" 

You are a hard man to please Albrecht.  Damn. 

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 24, 2020, 08:02:37 PM
That's it?  I give you screaming man, wrapped to the very neck in plastic, next to a guy holding a roll of packing tape whom is looking all to pleased with himself, all in the row of an aircraft back by the shitter, while a bored flight attendant looks on and is only concerned with the dude filming the incident.  I give you that and you "As if flying already isn't a hassle me?" 

You are a hard man to please Albrecht.  Damn.
Ha. Lots of fun can be done with shrink wrap. So didn't bother me. I once worked at a place where the warehouse guy was a practical joker- or just bored at work. He would always mess with new hires, delivery people, sales people, etc. Funny. One time he shrink wrapped a guy leaving the company and just commented to FedEx and other workers that he was "caught shoplifting." Other times with a new hire he would take a tray of defective ICs to be returned and curse yell "I hate this job!" and throw them onto the floor- scattering everywhere. A manager from the office would run in shocked (at the time the chips were very $$) and the joker would point at the new hire and says "I told you to handle carefully!." When UPS ramped up there logistics program he would call the "help desk" and "follow" install instructions but says things like "I did what you said and typed in 'format c:" and pressed return and now all I see is a blank screen." They would get frantic. And other stuff. Stick a razor knife in a wall and then 'throw' a box cutter at a new hire (which really had no blade) and guy would duck (not see where empty knife went) and then turn and see the knife stuck in the wall and he would grab out and mention working harder. Fun times. I'd go back there to ship stuff for free and watch his pranks.   

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 24, 2020, 10:37:49 PM
How is this possible? 

https://twitter.com/ASBreakingNews/status/1232075108434546688

You will have to keep us updated. I'm always a little suspicious of "our unnamed source" who claims to work at a certain hospital...

Somebody should probably point them to my posts here. If they want real news, I am on the ground living in squalid conditions surrounded by hoards of infected in Canada- and nobody but me seems to be talking of it. I would happily serve as a "trusted, anonymous source" for that twitter feed...

*Speaking of which- has anybody ever identified "Frank" who helped break the news on the CDC covering up the outbreak in the US?

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 24, 2020, 10:37:49 PM
How is this possible? 

[tweet]1232075108434546688[/tweet]

Italy. Luckily they have Greece to look down upon for inefficiency and corruption in the EU. The Commora (or etc depending on region) likely selling the Chinese-made masks n gear which 'fell off a truck' and the government will likely change even quicker than the virus- helped spread by illegal migrants and frustrating traffic. But the spokeswomen and secretaries will be alluringly dressed and offer you coffee as you wait. I suggest 'corretto' with some grappa in it. Might as well do as Rome burns?

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 25, 2020, 12:27:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_KYc8NjTsM

Surely the title is misleading. Decimate... As in kill every tenth man? That seems like the estimates are a little high.  ;D

*Now for that little piece of useless trivia. I had not realized that December was the tenth month (hence the "Dece" portion of the word.) Then some Roman jackass decided to add January and February just to give old fumblegums, George Noory another word to massacre.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on February 25, 2020, 12:35:01 AM
Surely the title is misleading. Decimate... As in kill every tenth man? That seems like the estimates are a little high.  ;D

You said yourself that people are dropping all around you.

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 25, 2020, 12:36:13 AM
You said yourself that people are dropping all around you.

Touche. It's true. Possibly he is underestimating that impact that this virus will have?

albrecht

Charlie Chan might say, or more properly some ancient Chinaman supposedly wrote, "loot burning house."   ;)  Pay attention to who profits from this virus, or even rumors of it. Not just obvious political motives/opportunties but financial ones.

VC

I've read there is approximately "up to" an 18% chance of death if you're not in good health to begin with and it's somewhat compromised. Especially, vulnerable populations, for example, would be the elderly or someone with a chronic disease condition like COPD, etc.

Anyone know differently?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on February 25, 2020, 12:52:10 AM
Charlie Chan might say, or more properly some ancient Chinaman supposedly wrote, "loot burning house."   ;)  Pay attention to who profits from this virus, or even rumors of it. Not just obvious political motives/opportunties but financial ones.

It’s certainly underlining how overly dependent we are on China.

Quote from: VC on February 25, 2020, 12:55:10 AM
I've read there is approximately "up to" an 18% chance of death if you're not in good health to begin with and it's somewhat compromised. Especially, vulnerable populations, for example, would be the elderly or someone with a chronic disease condition like COPD, etc.

Anyone know differently?

I've seen numbers to that effect with a sample size of 50,000.  Who knows if it is real or not?

Quote from: WOTR on February 24, 2020, 10:54:27 PM
You will have to keep us updated. I'm always a little suspicious of "our unnamed source" who claims to work at a certain hospital...

Somebody should probably point them to my posts here. If they want real news, I am on the ground living in squalid conditions surrounded by hoards of infected in Canada- and nobody but me seems to be talking of it. I would happily serve as a "trusted, anonymous source" for that twitter feed...

*Speaking of which- has anybody ever identified "Frank" who helped break the news on the CDC covering up the outbreak in the US?

The source was named - The Prime Minister of Italy...Conte.  Does it make you feel better to read it in Bloomberg?

QuoteConte blamed the surge on a hospital he did not name, saying that from there the disease had spread because safety protocols were not respected. Conte told Rai television in an interview late Monday that the government may limit the powers of local health authorities if they fail to coordinate.

So assuming they are not lying to the PM, apparently hospital staff aren't getting their safety freak on.  With 3/4 of a billion people on lockdown at one point over some sort of respitory bug, I think I'd be following the rules but hey - it's Italy.

I'm guessing Frank is air pollution by now.  ;)  Your government is telling you to prepare.  We won't have large numbers of Corona-Chan victims here as the United States is not testing - only 426 tests run.  Can't have victims if you don't test.  Korea is planning on running 200,000 tests on members of a church.  By golly, I bet they find some positives.

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2020, 03:06:58 AM
The source was named - The Prime Minister of Italy...Conte.  Does it make you feel better to read it in Bloomberg?

So assuming they are not lying to the PM, apparently hospital staff aren't getting their safety freak on.  With 3/4 of a billion people on lockdown at one point over some sort of respitory bug, I think I'd be following the rules but hey - it's Italy.

I'm guessing Frank is air pollution by now.  ;)  Your government is telling you to prepare.  We won't have large numbers of Corona-Chan victims here as the United States is not testing - only 426 tests run.  Can't have victims if you don't test.  Korea is planning on running 200,000 tests on members of a church.  By golly, I bet they find some positives.

Thank you. Yes- that is better. The twitter feed said "Our source who works in the hospital in #Como, Italy- where the death just occurredâ€" tells us that the staff were “only wearing masks" It is hard for me to pay much attention to "our source" due to my built-in cynicism.

*On a side note- that breaking news twitter feed just posted a couple of Saudi beheadings (no, I won't post them here.) I can honestly say that I am impressed by their efficiency. I read in the history of the guillotine that it was invented because of botched beheadings (yes, in the end, it also became a very efficient tool that any idiot could use.) But that Saudi executioner had only a sword and a kneeling prisoner. No axe, not chopping block. Just one very efficient sword. It's hard not to be at least a little impressed.

WOTR

Quote from: VC on February 25, 2020, 12:55:10 AM

Anyone know differently?

How is this for cold and unemotional? I hope that is correct. If the numbers from China are to be believed, there have been 77,150 cases, and total deaths to 2592. That is a death rate of around 3.3%. However, if the death rate for the old and infirm is 18%- then the chances of a healthy individual dropping dead is greatly reduced.

Don't get me wrong- I would prefer that they find a way to keep it contained. But as that is seeming less likely, it is now a game of numbers. I'm almost resigned that I will end up sick at some point. I will have a worker cough on me. I will catch it on a flight, or I will run out of ammo to keep the infected hordes at bay. If my chances are "only" 1% then I suppose it is not the end of the world.

**To put that in perspective- they say the "normal flu" usually has a mortality rate of 0.1%. The Spanish flu infected 500 million with estimates of dead from 20 - 50 million (between 4% and 10%) If this is 3.3%. Well, I'm sure everybody can do the math on their own...

AZZERAE

Its a good time to be a shut-in.

DynamoHum

Quote from: Asuka Langley on February 25, 2020, 01:14:19 AM
You are all a bunch of god damn racists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMdg4morQs

Not to be a sweeping generalisation bitch - even though I am about to be one...

When hubby and I were in Venice for a few days a year or so ago we saw endemic casual racism on a shocking scale.

We asked for a recommendation for a nice cafe whilst in a shop:

“Oh down there such a such a place is very nice, not run by Chinese” (there are large numbers of Asian shopkeepers and restaurants in Venice.

We were relaxing in our hotel room and were watching Italian TV - some freaky TV show where celebrities dressed up as famous singers and sang.....a white celeb was made up in blackface and did a Dionne Warwick impersonation. This was on national tv....we were shocked.

DynamoHum

Quote from: WOTR on February 25, 2020, 04:21:33 AM
How is this for cold and unemotional? I hope that is correct. If the numbers from China are to be believed, there have been 77,150 cases, and total deaths to 2592. That is a death rate of around 3.3%. However, if the death rate for the old and infirm is 18%- then the chances of a healthy individual dropping dead is greatly reduced.

Don't get me wrong- I would prefer that they find a way to keep it contained. But as that is seeming less likely, it is now a game of numbers. I'm almost resigned that I will end up sick at some point. I will have a worker cough on me. I will catch it on a flight, or I will run out of ammo to keep the infected hordes at bay. If my chances are "only" 1% then I suppose it is not the end of the world.

**To put that in perspective- they say the "normal flu" usually has a mortality rate of 0.1%. The Spanish flu infected 500 million with estimates of dead from 20 - 50 million (between 4% and 10%) If this is 3.3%. Well, I'm sure everybody can do the math on their own...

CFR (case fatality rate) is likely to drop because of the gross under reporting of the illness in China, but possibly if they find clusters of deaths that didn’t get to the hospital this may change. I did read a report of an old people’s home in WuHan where they found a cluster of deaths ... something like (don’t quote me) 71 out of 458 in the home.

The deaths in Iran are a sign that the disease has taken a hold there and there are many more infected than being reported.

Again Dr John is a good resource - even if WOTR isn’t convinced, for good explanations of terms and an aid to understanding the %’s he’s great.

DynamoHum

Iran’s Deputy Health Minister has the virus.

Here he is on TV yesterday telling people everything is fine and all is under control...

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1232276847255224320

Quote from: DynamoHum on February 25, 2020, 05:06:35 AM
Not to be a sweeping generalisation bitch - even though I am about to be one...

When hubby and I were in Venice for a few days a year or so ago we saw endemic casual racism on a shocking scale.

We asked for a recommendation for a nice cafe whilst in a shop:

“Oh down there such a such a place is very nice, not run by Chinese” (there are large numbers of Asian shopkeepers and restaurants in Venice.

Never been to Venice.  Guess I would have pictured eating risotto at some quaint, little out door cafe while Luigi is singing and poling one of those skiffs along a beautiful canal.  I guess the reality is some Kung Pao take out at No1 China Express just like I can get around the corner here and oh btw - the canal smells like poo.

Quote from: WOTR on February 25, 2020, 04:21:33 AM

Yeah, I suspect that you are right.  My Mom is in her 90's  and basically she told me to sack up.  "We had small pox, polio and bunch of other crap to deal with"