• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Karen Jackson: "I've been Art's gatekeeper for 14 years"

Started by Chocolate coated jackboot, September 09, 2019, 12:11:05 PM

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 04:13:14 PM
I don't know if I would call it blackmail.  More like dealing with a guy who lived in town and knew where you lived took whatever remaining love Art had for the business end of things and punted it sky high.

Remember the ordeal with Asshat and the check he was owed, which Art had to post a picture of to prove he sent it?  I imagine it was something like that.  Calling that "stalking" is a bit like calling a guy a sexual predator when he asks you for a pic of your feet.

Art Bell, cat lady.

believe me, i think Art was begging for excuses to quit to the show, but there still seems to be major puzzle pieces missing from this story.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Richard Groyper on September 10, 2019, 04:22:19 PM
sorry, but no. Art has a documented history of seedy behavior going back decades, his nebulous relationship with Heather Wade makes his lies and motives even more bizarre. if Art was just a guy id agree with you. however, he's not just a guy. his prior actions and life choices prove he was a cold and calculated person while living. am i suppose to believe Art felt bad for some guy with a complaint, then let said gentleman blackmail him off the air and allow said gentleman to dictate how people perceived his professional reputation for the last 2+ years of his life? i don't buy it.

Fine, Art Bell Bad works for you.  I prefer sympathetic characters and try to understand even the ones who aren't.  I bet if you look into his failed marriages and abandoned children there are at least a few shrewish women who thought they could fence the old swinger in and used their kids to trap him, later turning them against their father.

That is not to say his behavior was correct or decent, only that it is, at some level, understandable.

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 04:44:54 PM
Fine, Art Bell Bad works for you.  I prefer sympathetic characters and try to understand even the ones who aren't.  I bet if you look into his failed marriages and abandoned children there are at least a few shrewish women who thought they could fence the old swinger in and used their kids to trap him, later turning them against their father.

That is not to say his behavior was correct or decent, only that it is, at some level, understandable.

im not vilifying Art, but he was no saint. i certainly do not conclude Art left his prior families because he was being treated unfairly. the fact is, he bailed and never made an effort to reconcile -  according to his own children.

im sure Art's behavior was, at some level, understandable.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Richard Groyper on September 10, 2019, 04:59:23 PM
im not vilifying Art, but he was no saint. i certainly do not conclude Art left his prior families because he was being treated unfairly. the fact is, he bailed and never made an effort to reconcile -  according to his own children.

im sure Art's behavior was, at some level, understandable.

He displayed the same cut-and-run instincts with his show.  I'd argue (as he himself did) that those are the actions of a highly emotional, reactive person rather than a cold and calculating one.

One of my rules, which I assert with all the blithe confidence of the never-married, is that the consequences of any marriage are community property, split 50/50.  It may not be accurate but, as an outsider, it is impossible to know, since the divorced spread lies like the domestic version of atrocity propaganda.  As what used to be euphemistically called "the kind of man in whom women like to confide," it has spared me countless hours of utterly wretched, woebegone commiseration.

K_Dubb

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 10, 2019, 03:41:35 PM
Hey K_Dubb, that is accurate!

Thank you for the confirmation.  I would congratulate myself except that I thought it was clear to everyone from Karen's description who she was talking about.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 07:02:30 PM
Thank you for the confirmation.  I would congratulate myself except that I thought it was clear to everyone from Karen's description who she was talking about.
I might be going out to LA in a few weeks. Has anyone pitched this whole drama? Clearly it would be worthy of at least a HULU series....WKRP and Frasier were hits, so there is precedent for a tv show based on a radio show.  And it almost writes itself, of course names would have to be changed and have the usual Hollywood lawyer disclaimers about not being related to any real event or person, living or deceased.

artbell_ghost

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 10, 2019, 03:41:35 PM
Hey K_Dubb, that is accurate!

i’m sorry sir. i know i let you down and here in public i expect no response but i want you to know i get it, sorry that our mutual friend has decided to leave the team for good. hope for nothing but open roads and good times for you in your travels

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 06:13:37 PM
He displayed the same cut-and-run instincts with his show.  I'd argue (as he himself did) that those are the actions of a highly emotional, reactive person rather than a cold and calculating one.

One of my rules, which I assert with all the blithe confidence of the never-married, is that the consequences of any marriage are community property, split 50/50.  It may not be accurate but, as an outsider, it is impossible to know, since the divorced spread lies like the domestic version of atrocity propaganda.  As what used to be euphemistically called "the kind of man in whom women like to confide," it has spared me countless hours of utterly wretched, woebegone commiseration.
IDK he was fairly litigious and seems to have come out on top on most of his lawsuits and even made money after the "video dating" charges by settling. And the depos of one of his cases was posted here once (the whole sordid WWCR and Gunderson stuff) and he comes across as fairly stable in testimony and he hired a fairly high powered law firm, even in his recent case against Savage which was also settled.  I think he made good $ off the sale of the show to Premier and was able to unload a likely albatross of a station onto Karen.

ps: the subject of the thread made me chuckle because some, like Cooper, Alex, etc considered ART the 'gatekeeper' protecting various conspiracies, UFO information, and etc.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2019, 07:18:40 PM
I might be going out to LA in a few weeks. Has anyone pitched this whole drama? Clearly it would be worthy of at least a HULU series....WKRP and Frasier were hits, so there is precedent for a tv show based on a radio show.  And it almost writes itself, of course names would have to be changed and have the usual Hollywood lawyer disclaimers about not being related to any real event or person, living or deceased.

I was hoping I might be drafted to provide a screenplay in the form of a five-act tragedy, largely in verse, based on Lear, with Karen, Airyn, and Heather in a version of the "Which of you shall we say doth love us most" scene.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 07:27:54 PM
I was hoping I might be drafted to provide a screenplay in the form of a five-act tragedy, largely in verse, based on Lear, with Karen, Airyn, and Heather in a version of the "Which of you shall we say doth love us most" scene.
Do it. Reboots are all the rage and Shakespeare adopted to modern times or different, but similar, circumstances has always been popular. And the parallels almost write themselves- they even used royal terms "King of Late Night Radio" "Kingdom of Nye" etc.

ps: like with some of Malachi Martin books we could have a semi-secret, unofficial, crib-sheet "leaked" so that the 'fictionalized account' could be easier understood as to the actual players involved along with the usual Hollywood lawyer disclaimers indemnifying the main work, author, and investors.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 04:13:14 PM
I imagine it was something like that.  Calling that "stalking" is a bit like calling a guy a sexual predator when he asks you for a pic of your feet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-DO6SkciFE

albrecht

Quote from: Liberace! on September 10, 2019, 08:19:28 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-DO6SkciFE
Genius. Of course the soundtrack to the film, and possibly Broadway musical and Glenn Hughes Penthouse Theatre production K_Dubb will be working on, will, with permission, feature these excellent tracks and will likely shoot to Gold very quickly. We can even use Art musings about music copyrights to lessen any potential legal quicksand in getting it produced.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2019, 07:38:20 PM
Do it. Reboots are all the rage and Shakespeare adopted to modern times or different, but similar, circumstances has always been popular. And the parallels almost write themselves- they even used royal terms "King of Late Night Radio" "Kingdom of Nye" etc.

ps: like with some of Malachi Martin books we could have a semi-secret, unofficial, crib-sheet "leaked" so that the 'fictionalized account' could be easier understood as to the actual players involved along with the usual Hollywood lawyer disclaimers indemnifying the main work, author, and investors.

I am depending on you to secure a healthy advance, without which I will not set pen to paper.  I only squander my verses on bellgab.com.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 08:30:43 PM
I am depending on you to secure a healthy advance, without which I will not set pen to paper.  I only squander my verses on bellgab.com.
I'll try to set up some lunches and talk on the phone in traffic, which seems to be the way deals are made these days in Hollywood. Be aware we risk getting it sold, written off at a loss, but then sent to the graveyard of bought screenplays to never be produced. But, maybe, some release at a later date but some quick cash or tax write-off. Of course there is the "couch" option, depending on how far you are willing to go with some personalities in the business. But I want no part of that sordid business. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2019, 08:36:38 PM
I'll try to set up some lunches and talk on the phone in traffic, which seems to be the way deals are made these days in Hollywood. Be aware we risk getting it sold, written off at a loss, but then sent to the graveyard of bought screenplays to never be produced. But, maybe, some release at a later date but some quick cash or tax write-off. Of course there is the "couch" option, depending on how far you are willing to go with some personalities in the business. But I want no part of that sordid business.

I can see the business end of things is in good hands; you can depend on me to take care of the rest with a minimum of scruples.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 07:02:30 PM

I'll bite. Who expired on a couch in or near Paharump recently?

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 10, 2019, 07:27:54 PM

Opening credits song (or possibly closing credits)... Who by fire?

"who by slow decay?"
"who for his hunger?"
"who by accident?"
"who by his ladies command?"
"who by his own hand?"

As things stand, I don't think that we can confidentially answer the question, "who came calling for Art?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VXverPzQ0E

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2019, 07:18:40 PM

Pure fucking genius!

Let’s do lunch, babe. 8)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2019, 07:38:20 PM

As long as we can adapt an actual sceenplay from the poem I’m cool with it and, more importantly, I think Jackstar will allow it.

Jojo

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on September 09, 2019, 12:32:35 PM
Interview on KTOX
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1OxnPREABgQ
States that Heather was saying in interviews that her and Art were having "a torrid lengthy affair" when pressed by the show's host she claims that it was on other shows, and says that she was told this by others

I have never heard her say anything about "a torrid lengthy affair" in any interview.  Does anybody else remember her making such claims? I'm guessing she either made it up herself or was gamed into saying it by a listener

Airyn's statement: "And lastly, think whatever you want, but in the long run, you are just stirring things up, all you do when you spread unsubstantiated rumors is make it harder for my family and hurt us. I don’t have time for this insanity. I have two kids to raise and real-life problems to deal with."
rumors plural. One which Heather spread, one which she did not
I never heard it.  I think Heather was one of those children he bred.

WOTR

Thanks K_Dubb. I seem to recall that post. It's starting to feel like a game of clue. It was professor schulman in the studio with the shotgun...

Come to think of it- this would make an excellent board game given the characters, the subject matter, and the mystery. "Who killed Art's show?" The (lack of) fans, technology, his legacy, the stalker, Art himself...

Sorry, nerds...but I am Karen's Gatekeeper and I have been on Bell Gab for for 14 and a half years!

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on September 09, 2019, 12:11:05 PM
Spring 2018 interview with Michael Decon: says that she first met Art at Ramona's funeral which was January 5, 2006 (Karen mistakenly says "January 2005")
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1HhEXQWZmQV
Fall 2018 interview: claims she's been "Art's gatekeeper for 14 years" ie since 2004
https://vocaroo.com/i/s10vdUeNglhT
Let's say she's bad at math and/or remembering dates does it seem plausible Art would appoint somebody he had never met(despite living in the same town) and had only talked to on the phone a "couple of times" as his family's spokesperson/gatekeeper?

oh shit

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on April 02, 2020, 02:05:18 PM
Sorry, nerds...but I am Karen's Gatekeeper and I have been on Bell Gab for for 14 and a half years!

oh fuck