• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Anyone interested in raising of butterflies/moths?

Started by Hog, August 26, 2019, 11:12:15 AM

paladin1991

Quote from: Hog on August 26, 2019, 11:12:15 AM
  I just started raising Monarch butterflies and just had my 1st chrysalis form and have a further 2 caterpillars fasten their backsides in preparation to form their chrysalides.

Anyone else interested in similar?  I find the process of metamorphosis fascinating.

Area covered by monarchs (Danaus plexippus, eastern migratory population) in their overwintering areas in Mexico between 1993 and 2018. (click to enlarge)

The Monarch Butterfly is on the cusp of becoming an endangered species.  If only the human species would somehow have some sort of a population decrease.  10 billion humans by 2050, that's such crap.

peace
Hog
Have yourself a beer.  Don't forget the wedge of lime.

Hog

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 01, 2020, 02:55:50 PM
Have yourself a beer.  Don't forget the wedge of lime.
Only with Corona, it helps cover up the urine taste. Or even better Mexican swill, Sol'.

peace
Hog

Dr. MD MD

I’m prescribing 475 CCs of a good American beer, Sam Adams, for both of you, STAT!

ItsOver

Quote from: Hog on August 26, 2019, 11:12:15 AM

...The Monarch Butterfly is on the cusp of becoming an endangered species.  If only the human species would somehow have some sort of a population decrease....

peace
Hog
Obvious never a Snoory C2C guest.  Obviously.

SpaceMeowMaid

Quote from: ItsOver on January 31, 2020, 04:31:13 PM
I feel the need to replenish the local Luna colony.  I haven't seen one in years.

That is a perfectly wonderful ambition. Me too. I have seen them in the Appalachians, and in the Cascades near Pashastin.

ItsOver

Quote from: Flyingmerkitty on April 03, 2020, 12:21:02 AM
That is a perfectly wonderful ambition. Me too. I have seen them in the Appalachians, and in the Cascades near Pashastin.
In the last ten years, I've been fortunate to see one flying around a backyard light, late one night.  I used to see them fairly often, last century, in the summer, up in Ohio.  Truly beautiful, graceful creatures.

Hog

Ive got a very mice crop of milkweed growing this year.

Anyone spot any Monarchs yet this year?

peace
Hog

ItsOver

Quote from: Hog on May 30, 2020, 05:52:15 AM
Ive got a very mice crop of milkweed growing this year.

Anyone spot any Monarchs yet this year?

peace
Hog
I've seen them.  I'm in a pine forest in SE Texas, in the middle of their usual migration path.  Some years, it's like being in the middle of a monarch, humming bird, and miscellaneous bird freeway.  ;)

Hog

Quote from: ItsOver on May 30, 2020, 06:08:00 AM
I've seen them.  I'm in a pine forest in SE Texas, in the middle of their usual migration path.  Some years, it's like being in the middle of a monarch, humming bird, and miscellaneous bird freeway.  ;)
Very nice.  I just saw my first Monarch yesterday.  Milkweed is doing well.  We've had very cold nights lately.

peace
Hog

WOTR

I tried planting standard orange milkweed last year. It didn't take. This year I have Rose milkweed. However, I don't know how it's going to work out. Care instructions say it needs wet soil in full sun. Those are conditions I generally don't have.

ItsOver

Quote from: Hog on June 14, 2020, 05:48:38 AM
Very nice.  I just saw my first Monarch yesterday.  Milkweed is doing well.  We've had very cold nights lately.

peace
Hog
Good to see they've once again made it up north.  Amazing creatures.  I'd love to see a Luna again, but it's been awhile.  It's always a nice surprise to catch one of those beauties, floating around on a Summer night. 

The Rio Grande chirping frogs have been plentiful this year.  They've relatively recently expanded their territory further into SE Texas so that they're pretty much almost "native" now.  Really pleasant chirping choruses that are good to fall asleep to. ;)

http://youtu.be/K5rbUlsJxvI

GravitySucks

Quote from: Hog on June 14, 2020, 05:48:38 AM

peace
Hog

https://youtu.be/lWOySU_hAz0

ksm32

Back when some of my bands were touring I used to raise crabs. IN MY UNDERWEAR!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ugh ::)

Jackstar

Quote from: ksm32 on June 15, 2020, 08:45:30 PM
Back when some of my bands were touring

I'm not going to lie; there's got to be people on this site who aren't concerned about what decade you're referring to, but: I know I am.

Give it up, Old Timer: did you have groupies sucking dick on horseback or what? I'm not asking for a friend. ;)

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackrabbit on June 15, 2020, 08:51:03 PM
Give it up, Honored Gentleman: Do you still have copies of our private messages from that one time we talked about that one thing all night? Because I do not, although I did think, "I should save these, this stuff is outrageous." Anyway, I don't need yours, just mine. But you should totally paste yours! I'll allow it! Just paste mine! I insist.

Asking for a friend.

See, nanotech is real, there ain't a court order nor a magic wand in all the lands that could have gotten me to walk that one back. Oh and, bee tea dubs, I've been telling everyone who will stand still long enough to listen (admittedly a small number around these parts) that it would be a great idea to plant milk thistle. Milkweed? Milkmen? Yes, plant some milkmen, that's a great idea... anyway, this thread is mine. I claim it on behalf of my people. Through time travel, or something. Look, don't get too focused on the details here. The point is, the butterflies are my allies. Deal with it.

Anyway, yes, it's a great idea to sow certain seeds into the environment. Ask around, honestly. Honest folk will say the same.

Quote from: Camazotz on January 31, 2020, 03:49:50 PM
It just encourages me to hatch a legion.

At last! Groupies with class.

Jackstar

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 26, 2019, 11:46:25 AM
I know that sounds like some made up junk

I used to enter codes for piss. (Now, see, that's what "some made up junk" sounds like. You're welcome.) And when I was told how good I was at it, and how they might want me to do it permanently... I started eyeing the exits. Each of which were guarded by its own extremely eccentric scientist. Did I mention, this was an overnight gig? Yeah, these extremely eccentric scientists were all working after sundown. Yeah, it was a trap. Like this thread.

Quote from: ksm32 on June 15, 2020, 08:45:30 PM
IN MY UNDERWEAR!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Speaking of traps. /shudder

Anyway, don't make me ask Lee, he's infuriated. It's you or nothing. This is your chance to shine!

SpaceMeowMaid

Asclepediacia don't like being transplanted and since it is apparently my destiny to move at least every 2 years... I think mine died in the pot I transferred it in :*( At least I know I can keep trying. Maybe I will be like ladybird and just plant them all over wherever I go:)

ksm32

Quote from: Jackrabbit on June 15, 2020, 08:51:03 PM
I'm not going to lie; there's got to be people on this site who aren't concerned about what decade you're referring to, but: I know I am.

Give it up, Old Timer: did you have groupies sucking dick on horseback or what? I'm not asking for a friend. ;)

1. Late 90's and 2000's.  You shoulda been there I'd've thrown you a sloppy fourth.. usually the angry redheads :o Yeeesh!

2. Not sure how I could get a sucking while on horseback. She would have to be kind of upside-down the horses neck while I sat there? She's gonna have one sore neck after that. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me..

SpaceMeowMaid

I have experienced a midsummer miracle. I am happy to report my milkweed is indeed alive :) Pictures soonish. I will be seriously surprised if it blooms this year.. So just stalk and leaves so far. And I am also heartbroken over failures in my relationship with a human. At least plants are never dramatic or complicated and deceitful. The y may be elusive or even high maintenance at times, but in general just very very reliable and beautiful and useful. Now about the Actias Luna.... It should be making appearances right about....... NOW :) [attachment=1]

Hog

I currently have 7 Monarch caterpillars eating away at their milkweed.

It seems pretty early for these guys to be the butterflies that will head South(ie Super Monarchs).   I've read that it takes them 3-4 lifecycles to get from Mexico to Canada, but only a single lifecycle makes the same trip back down to Mexico from Canada, and it still has to overwinter in Mexico.

Are these early arrivals simply part of one of the lifecycles that will continue to head further North?

PS That was an awesome video about the concealed drone taking footage within the swarm of butterflies.  Thanks GS.

peace
Hog

Jackstar

Quote from: Hog on July 12, 2020, 06:02:06 PM
PS That was an awesome video about the concealed drone taking footage within the swarm of butterflies. 

GF took time out from being coerced by her faghot handler to say, "that's cool!" This is more than I get on some days so y'all should be impressed.

Quote from: Hog on July 12, 2020, 06:02:06 PM
Thanks GS.

peace
Hog

How long would it take to get to Mars from the surface of Earth at perigee if you had a device that could nullify gravitic attraction and you could accelerate at a constant 1g until you reach your destination?

Asking for a friend.

pate

Quote from: Jackrabbit on July 12, 2020, 06:13:18 PM
How long would it take to get to Mars from the surface of Earth at perigee if you had a device that could nullify gravitic attraction and you could accelerate at a constant 1g until you reach your destination?

Asking for a friend.

By perigee you mean when Earth and Mars are at the closest point to each other in their respective orbits?  Anyhow, pretty damn fast.  But you'd end up a smoking hole in the ground, not sure it that is enough time to reach light speed at 1g (32 feet per second) but I bet you'd get to a significant fraction of c pretty fast.

SpaceMeowMaid

Quote from: pate on July 12, 2020, 06:36:16 PM
By perigee you mean when Earth and Mars are at the closest point to each other in their respective orbits?  Anyhow, pretty damn fast.  But you'd end up a smoking hole in the ground, not sure it that is enough time to reach light speed at 1g (32 feet per second) but I bet you'd get to a significant fraction of c pretty fast.

I already told him yesterday 3 days. He told me.. Well he knew that already. Oh wait, was that to Mars? MrStar Please?

Jackstar

Quote from: SpaceMeowMaid on July 15, 2020, 03:18:36 AM
I already told him yesterday 3 days.

It was hot, I'm not gonna lie. I ask the question, she thinks for like two seconds max, and spits out the right answer, just like she knew it all along. Brava.

Quote from: pate on July 12, 2020, 06:36:16 PM
But you'd end up a smoking hole in the ground

#1) 1g acceleration to midpoint, flip the boat around, 1g deceleration to land. Easy peasy. Just don't get your landing struts from Elon, he's a pigfucking douchebag.
#2) I am already a smoking hole in the fabric of spacetime. Not even kidding. It's a little nanotech, but mostly me being one bad ass motherfucker. Cool, huh? And just think, you can say that you knew me way back when--and didn't send me a Voxer. Now, that's some street cred. Don't shoot it all up at once, leave some for (REDACTED).

Quote from: SpaceMeowMaid on July 15, 2020, 03:18:36 AM
MrStar Please?

Oh, now you're polite. Rolleyes. Great, just great. Grab your abacus--it's that thing with all your beads on it--and get to the back of the classroom, you're totally distracting everyone behind you while you're panting and sweating all up in here. I won't allow it, I simply will not.

Quote from: ksm32 on June 19, 2020, 09:36:55 PM
Horseback [...] Doesn't seem worth the risk to me..

Take your wife back. Please. I'll even look past the thing with the ellipsis. Now you know that's a good deal.

pate

Quote from: Jackrabbit on July 12, 2020, 06:13:18 PM
... and you could accelerate at a constant 1g until you reach your destination?

Asking for a friend.

If you accelerated at "a constant 1g until you reach your destination" there would be no
Quote from: Jackrabbit on July 15, 2020, 06:10:07 AM
... midpoint, flip ...
, ergo smoking hole in the ground, possibly resulting in a planetary explosion.  Like a mini-Supernova, or newStar;  amirite?

Eye, keed~p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMyUvOWDrWA

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on July 15, 2020, 07:48:36 AM
possibly resulting in a planetary explosion

The traffic, the boss, the baby, the dog--Relax your mind. It's another world, in a Calgon bath.

Also, and I regret to be the bearer of bad tidings to anyone who hasn't been paying attention, but: Fukushima was an actual planet-killer. This was always a fallen world, and now, it's never coming back. Evac has been called for. Don't cry. It's gonna take awhile. I wouldn't panic, unless you're older than 50,000 Earth years? Yeah, them fuckers, they're totally fucked, no way out, no way to keep their bodies intact. Say it with me: awwwww, that's too bad. For them. I guess they start to literally melt or something in less than fifty years, because... reasons? Fuck if I know, Mang--I don't ask too many questions.

That's not company policy, I'm just interning and have no reason to do Try_Hard level effort. Do you people fucking know who I fucking am? Here's a hint, I AM A REALLY OLD STAR. Like, older than that fossil Peter Davenport. Fuckin' ancient, mang. Got the Depends For Stellar Objects coming every week from Amazon Subscribe 'n' Save and all that. Wizened. Seasoned. Ripe. You're blessed I am even letting you Kids hang out on my lawn.

Wait a second... what's the expiration date on this bottle of cough syrup? Too bad my eyes don't work. Because OLD. Now blow. Not you, pate--stay awhile, and listen.

Hog

I have 2 chrysalis' that have been hanging for about a week now and a 3rd caterpillar fattening up.  A weathered looking Monarch laid a bunch of eggs yesterday.

I have reads that I should "cut back" my milkweed so that lots of fresh tender leaves are present for the super Monarch caterpillars to eat before they metamorphose for the trip down South this Autumn.  Does anyone have any tips?  I'm 6'4" and my tallest plants are at my eye level, my shortest at my hips.

It's true, plant the milkweed and the Monarchs will come.

peace
Hog

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackrabbit on July 15, 2020, 08:07:14 AM
Fukushima was an actual planet-killer. This was always a fallen world, and now, it's never coming back. Evac has been called for.

Evac operation completed. Checkmate.