Author Anyone interested in raising of butterflies/moths?  (Read 1013 times)

Anyone interested in raising of butterflies/moths?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
  I just started raising Monarch butterflies and just had my 1st chrysalis form and have a further 2 caterpillars fasten their backsides in preparation to form their chrysalides.

Anyone else interested in similar?  I find the process of metamorphosis fascinating.

Area covered by monarchs (Danaus plexippus, eastern migratory population) in their overwintering areas in Mexico between 1993 and 2018. (click to enlarge)

The Monarch Butterfly is on the cusp of becoming an endangered species.  If only the human species would somehow have some sort of a population decrease.  10 billion humans by 2050, that's such crap.

peace
Hog
Have yourself a beer.  Don't forget the wedge of lime.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
Have yourself a beer.  Don't forget the wedge of lime.
Only with Corona, it helps cover up the urine taste. Or even better Mexican swill, Sol'.

peace
Hog

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 02:33:08 PM »
Iím prescribing 475 CCs of a good American beer, Sam Adams, for both of you, STAT!

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 02:47:33 PM »

...The Monarch Butterfly is on the cusp of becoming an endangered species.  If only the human species would somehow have some sort of a population decrease....

peace
Hog
Obvious never a Snoory C2C guest.  Obviously.

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2020, 01:21:02 AM »
I feel the need to replenish the local Luna colony.  I haven't seen one in years.

That is a perfectly wonderful ambition. Me too. I have seen them in the Appalachians, and in the Cascades near Pashastin.

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 05:46:43 AM »
That is a perfectly wonderful ambition. Me too. I have seen them in the Appalachians, and in the Cascades near Pashastin.
In the last ten years, I've been fortunate to see one flying around a backyard light, late one night.  I used to see them fairly often, last century, in the summer, up in Ohio.  Truly beautiful, graceful creatures.

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2020, 06:52:15 AM »
Ive got a very mice crop of milkweed growing this year.

Anyone spot any Monarchs yet this year?

peace
Hog

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2020, 07:08:00 AM »
Ive got a very mice crop of milkweed growing this year.

Anyone spot any Monarchs yet this year?

peace
Hog
I've seen them.  I'm in a pine forest in SE Texas, in the middle of their usual migration path.  Some years, it's like being in the middle of a monarch, humming bird, and miscellaneous bird freeway.  ;)

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2020, 06:48:38 AM »
I've seen them.  I'm in a pine forest in SE Texas, in the middle of their usual migration path.  Some years, it's like being in the middle of a monarch, humming bird, and miscellaneous bird freeway.  ;)
Very nice.  I just saw my first Monarch yesterday.  Milkweed is doing well.  We've had very cold nights lately.

peace
Hog

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2020, 03:06:51 AM »
I tried planting standard orange milkweed last year. It didn't take. This year I have Rose milkweed. However, I don't know how it's going to work out. Care instructions say it needs wet soil in full sun. Those are conditions I generally don't have.

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2020, 06:17:02 AM »
Very nice.  I just saw my first Monarch yesterday.  Milkweed is doing well.  We've had very cold nights lately.

peace
Hog
Good to see they've once again made it up north.  Amazing creatures.  I'd love to see a Luna again, but it's been awhile.  It's always a nice surprise to catch one of those beauties, floating around on a Summer night. 

The Rio Grande chirping frogs have been plentiful this year.  They've relatively recently expanded their territory further into SE Texas so that they're pretty much almost "native" now.  Really pleasant chirping choruses that are good to fall asleep to. ;)

http://youtu.be/K5rbUlsJxvI

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »

peace
Hog

https://youtu.be/lWOySU_hAz0

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2020, 09:45:30 PM »
Back when some of my bands were touring I used to raise crabs. IN MY UNDERWEAR!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ugh ::)

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
Back when some of my bands were touring

I'm not going to lie; there's got to be people on this site who aren't concerned about what decade you're referring to, but: I know I am.

Give it up, Old Timer: did you have groupies sucking dick on horseback or what? I'm not asking for a friend. ;)

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2020, 03:35:04 AM »
Give it up, Honored Gentleman: Do you still have copies of our private messages from that one time we talked about that one thing all night? Because I do not, although I did think, "I should save these, this stuff is outrageous." Anyway, I don't need yours, just mine. But you should totally paste yours! I'll allow it! Just paste mine! I insist.

Asking for a friend.

See, nanotech is real, there ain't a court order nor a magic wand in all the lands that could have gotten me to walk that one back. Oh and, bee tea dubs, I've been telling everyone who will stand still long enough to listen (admittedly a small number around these parts) that it would be a great idea to plant milk thistle. Milkweed? Milkmen? Yes, plant some milkmen, that's a great idea... anyway, this thread is mine. I claim it on behalf of my people. Through time travel, or something. Look, don't get too focused on the details here. The point is, the butterflies are my allies. Deal with it.

Anyway, yes, it's a great idea to sow certain seeds into the environment. Ask around, honestly. Honest folk will say the same.

It just encourages me to hatch a legion.

At last! Groupies with class.

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2020, 03:43:49 AM »
I know that sounds like some made up junk

I used to enter codes for piss. (Now, see, that's what "some made up junk" sounds like. You're welcome.) And when I was told how good I was at it, and how they might want me to do it permanently... I started eyeing the exits. Each of which were guarded by its own extremely eccentric scientist. Did I mention, this was an overnight gig? Yeah, these extremely eccentric scientists were all working after sundown. Yeah, it was a trap. Like this thread.

IN MY UNDERWEAR!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Speaking of traps. /shudder

Anyway, don't make me ask Lee, he's infuriated. It's you or nothing. This is your chance to shine!

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2020, 01:30:54 AM »
Asclepediacia don't like being transplanted and since it is apparently my destiny to move at least every 2 years... I think mine died in the pot I transferred it in :*( At least I know I can keep trying. Maybe I will be like ladybird and just plant them all over wherever I go:)

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2020, 10:36:55 PM »
I'm not going to lie; there's got to be people on this site who aren't concerned about what decade you're referring to, but: I know I am.

Give it up, Old Timer: did you have groupies sucking dick on horseback or what? I'm not asking for a friend. ;)

1. Late 90's and 2000's.  You shoulda been there I'd've thrown you a sloppy fourth.. usually the angry redheads :o Yeeesh!

2. Not sure how I could get a sucking while on horseback. She would have to be kind of upside-down the horses neck while I sat there? She's gonna have one sore neck after that. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me..

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2020, 05:22:17 AM »
I have experienced a midsummer miracle. I am happy to report my milkweed is indeed alive :) Pictures soonish. I will be seriously surprised if it blooms this year.. So just stalk and leaves so far. And I am also heartbroken over failures in my relationship with a human. At least plants are never dramatic or complicated and deceitful. The y may be elusive or even high maintenance at times, but in general just very very reliable and beautiful and useful. Now about the Actias Luna.... It should be making appearances right about....... NOW :)  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]