• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Man Up

Started by Jojo, June 06, 2019, 07:13:18 PM

Jojo

You know exactly who you are as of 5:56PM.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Sixteen on June 06, 2019, 07:13:18 PM

>5.56

The red fox trots quietly at midnight

Quote from: Sixteen on June 06, 2019, 07:13:18 PM

just spit in a hoes face. checkmate.

[attachment=1,msg1331741]

K_Dubb

Once again PMs bear their terrible fruit.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 06, 2019, 08:27:31 PM
Alas, I was confounded that the bookstore didn't have a Snoori tome I wanted to gift upon a graduation. Not that he would read it. But, perhaps, impress the coeds in the future to have on shelf due to recent  apparent popularity of internet and tv shows related to Vikings. Just a few weeks ago plenty of books and now- gone. Even the "popularized" versions not in stock. PM's are bad and are they, really, in this day and age of NSA and MV Liberace 'private?' Praise him.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2019, 08:50:10 PM
Alas, I was confounded that the bookstore didn't have a Snoori tome I wanted to gift upon a graduation. Not that he would read it. But, perhaps, impress the coeds in the future to have on shelf due to recent  apparent popularity of internet and tv shows related to Vikings. Just a few weeks ago plenty of books and now- gone. Even the "popularized" versions not in stock. PM's are bad and are they, really, in this day and age of NSA and MV Liberace 'private?' Praise him.

No way!  Who would have thought some old bard could still move books?  I hope he is sitting in Valhalla's hot tub and smiling.  Homer, eat your heart out.

I'm torn though because, as much as I like to see people getting to know old things, Snorri's stuff is pretty rough-hewn and sparse even when retold by some modern wannabe-skald putting their awful sheen of woo over it.  Just read a parallel translation to see how bald some of those Great Myths really are.  (The one I have is only on kindle and I am mentally adding a middle column in modern Norsk which is surprisingly easy once you drop all the thorns and eths -- easier than trying to render, say, Chaucer into modern English.)

I think all we really have are cliff notes of much-longer epics that would have been truly impressive.  They're not bad by medieval standards but the bits of poetry don't work like anything we know since the Renaissance and, since they are largely alliterative, are impossible to translate.  I can't imagine a bard holding the attention of a peasant rabble for long with those silly stories, let alone a king's court in a hall -- they must have really shredded those zithers.  I'm amazed a modern audience can find anything in them at all.

Bunch of fucking larpers with their thor's hammer tattoos impressing the chicks by dropping lines about Odin's eye swimming in Mimir's well while swilling their watery fruity mead blends.   ;D  Never thought I'd see the day.

mammy always teld me the devil's telegram aint no good!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Richard Groyper on June 06, 2019, 09:42:20 PM
mammy always teld me the devil's telegram aint no good!

Now every frog I ever smooched turned back into a toad,
And Love's old, busted car debouched me out beside the road...

Jojo

I didn't know this was a thing.  Humph.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2019, 08:50:10 PM
Did you try looking for the book on the Internet?  I've only had one stupid PM in 6 years, lotsa good ones.