• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mental Wellness Organization Giving $5 Gift Cards for Easy Online Participation

Started by Jojo, May 18, 2019, 02:10:30 PM

Jojo

https://mindtrails.virginia.edu/?utm_source=online%20forum&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=NAMI%20anxiety%20forum&utm_content=NAMI%20anxiety%20forum

I heard about this when I was looking for information about Munchaussen's by Proxy Disease.  Anyhow, a user-friendly, upbeat organization is remotely studying (and promoting) the effects of self-talk on generalized anxiety.  They need volunteers to independently answer questions online, sometimes after reading small paragraphs.  They provide a few $5 gift cards for some completed modules.  You give about an hour every 10 days for about 5 sessions.  It's fun.

I'm getting one or two short e-mails a week so far.  They call them bonuses.  They are very informative, with few screens.  I suppose the anxiety researchers get funding from these things, but they don't really look like ads unless you choose to order more info or sign up for non-affiliated classes on the last page .

More info for those who like to read:
The work is scheduled basically whenever you want to do it and takes about an hour once every ten days, for about 5 weeks.  The readings and answers are straight forward with immediate feedback.  Out of maybe 50 quick questions, I only felt confused by the intended meaning of two words, which really didn't matter in the overall scheme of things.  However, just so you know, when they use the word "funny" in the first module, as in "something feels funny", they mean funny=silly, not funny=peculiar.  So I got that one wrong.  But, the gift cards come regardless of your scores, so what the hay.

I think the questions might be oriented to younger people (like people without serious health conditions).  Like one of the questions had to do with noticing your heart beating differently.  An older person who has been previously hospitalized for a heart condition definitely would answer that question differently than a person just suffering from anxiety, but the test didn't filter out people with medical conditions, so not sure what they expect there.  I decided to answer the questions from the standpoint of anxiety, not health conditions.  There are opportunities to give feedback about the questions & program designs.  And best to do the modules when not distracted by radio or anything - multi-tasking doesn't go so well with this because you are asked to imagine things vividly.

Also, the test asks questions that I'm not sure are framed right, like the question about whether you choose to avoid certain activities because of your anxiety.  I know a lot of people who don't take freeways if a better option is available, especially on really hot days when traffic might back up for hours with no shade.  So, to me, that avoidance is not anxiety-related, but more medical or personal choice.  But to a person with a different outlook, they might think their own anxiety is the reason, even if the reasons are the same.  It really doesn't affect your participation, however you choose to answer those ones.

Much of the time, you will be asked to answer a question from the perspective of someone else.  Like, if you read a couple sentences about someone who does not like rye bread, then when the test asks if you enjoyed rye bread, the answer would be no.  Regardless of how you really like rye bread.  It's more of a reading comprehension test - but the sentences are small and the answers are fast.  I suspect that part is measuring the effect of anxiety on reading comprehension, or just promoting their ideals.

Anyhow, it's been entertaining so far and it's fast, easy work for a few $5 Target/Walmart/Whatever cards (you can choose).  Got my first card after just a short time!  In the time you read this, you would be done with a module.

whoozit

If Whitecrow wasn’t dead he’d send you a hoodie free.  No questions except your address.

Jojo

Quote from: whoozit on May 18, 2019, 02:16:00 PM
If Whitecrow wasn’t dead he’d send you a hoodie free.  No questions except your address.
Did he have a lot of extra ones?  Didn't seem like the hoodie type.

ItsOver

Quote from: whoozit on May 18, 2019, 02:16:00 PM
He posted here recently, from beyond the grave, on the Falkie thread.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5425.msg1326101#msg1326101

Maybe WC can UPS from there, as well.

http://youtu.be/j93uYIj0fTs

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 14 on May 18, 2019, 02:23:36 PM
Did he have a lot of extra ones?  Didn't seem like the hoodie type.

I have a hoodie, although it got slightly singed when I was burning leaves one day. And, no, you can't have it.

SredniVashtar

The only time I suffer generalised anxiety is after I've waded through another of 14's lengthy discursive posts. Does this make me a suitable candidate or not?

Jojo

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 18, 2019, 03:04:06 PM
The only time I suffer generalised anxiety is after I've waded through another of 14's lengthy discursive posts. Does this make me a suitable candidate or not?
There is no hoodie to protect you from the leaves I drop.  And, probably yes.  The link will determine if you qualify, based on your answers.  It didn't take much - I think you have to "feel some anxiety at times" to qualify.  Kind of like getting into a credit union nowadays just requires having "some address nearby".

albrecht

The economics here seem suspect. Leaving aside whatever data-mining or surveillance involved in this "project' that is a lot of time for a potential $5 gift card. Almost any job will pay better. And also one wonders what the "gift card" is- maybe a part of the actual study? Maybe learn what people that will buy after so much time doing tests for a cheap gift card? Call me cynical or jaded but I still don't like the idea or using students, or in this case whoever, as guinea pigs for some PhD candidate or government/corporate "study," at least at such cheap rates. At least PAY the rabbits even if you aren't allowed to tell them the real reason for the "study." 

We already have BG, afterall. A very comprehensive study of mentals.  ;)

Dateline

An excessive number of Bellgabbers participants might skew the results.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dateline on May 18, 2019, 09:13:21 PM
Maybe they'll give us $100 gift cards for not participating.

Jojo

Quote from: ItsOver on May 18, 2019, 09:23:50 PM
Maybe they'll give us $100 gift cards for not participating.
And maybe someone will give me $100 to stop writing for 7 days, lol  :).

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on May 18, 2019, 05:14:22 PM
The economics here seem suspect. Leaving aside whatever data-mining or surveillance involved in this "project' that is a lot of time for a potential $5 gift card. Almost any job will pay better. And also one wonders what the "gift card" is- maybe a part of the actual study? Maybe learn what people that will buy after so much time doing tests for a cheap gift card? Call me cynical or jaded but I still don't like the idea or using students, or in this case whoever, as guinea pigs for some PhD candidate or government/corporate "study," at least at such cheap rates. At least PAY the rabbits even if you aren't allowed to tell them the real reason for the "study." 

We already have BG, afterall. A very comprehensive study of mentals.  ;)
The study is not government/corporate or any PhD candidate.  "Mindspring Foundation is a non-profit charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue code dedicated to providing efficient access to education in remote and economically disadvantaged regions around the world to strengthen international understanding and foster innovative approaches to engage ..."
http://www.mindspringfoundation.org/about-us.html

Well, the cards go through a typical online vendor who offers cards from about 100 companies.  You can choose the one you want.  Redeeming the cards a totally optional, and is a separate activity, & while you are in that card vendor website, you can order and pay for 10 more gift cards if you want to get your holiday shopping done in June!  It's a totally different service.

I agree some posters here might enjoy this positive opportunity, doing something worthwhile to help a non-profit, and learning optional tips on managing some aspects of mental health.

In addition to a few $5 gifts cards, participants receive a couple optional educational articles per week, about mental health and ways to stay healthy.  I was impressed- had not heard of some of the information before.

Besides, I entered a forum to talk about Munchaussens by Proxy Disease and this study was recommended by one of the posters.  Gives me something to talk about over there, since no one has had much to say yet there about Munchaaussens by Proxy Disease.

Albrecht, as you can imagine, I for one know that minimum wage pays more than "market research" type volunteering.  If I could get a minimum wage job for which my skills and abilities are suitable, I would take it in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, I have barely found enough work to get by for 10 years.  I was categorized as a dislocated worker, got a couple grants, and completed Worker Retraining at a community college.  I had to take out student loans after that just to survive, since I still didn't have work despite two long, successful internships and good grades.  Gradually, I got a little work here and a little work there.  Some jobs lasted longer than others.

Right now, I am severely underemployed, despite having an employer who sometimes requires me to work double shifts and overtime.  Despite doubles and overtime, my weekly average hours are paltry, lately none at all, and  unemployment ran out long ago.  When my new base employment security year started, though, I still couldn't qualify for checks because due to lack of work, I was short 160 hours in my base year (because no one will give me enough work).  So, even though my statistics are not counted when the government announces unemployment rates, even though I "don't count", I am nonetheless under-employed to the point of almost no hours lately and seeking work.  I have relocated twice in 10 years in hopes of better job markets.  I had a great lifestyle prior to 2007, with an extensive work history including full time work plus moonlighting all the time, and volunteer activities.  Unfortunately, lot of industries were affected by off-shoring.  People are so funny when they hear this.  Last week, someone said, "Just take whatever work you can find and then work your way up from there."  As if that isn't what I've been doing for 10 years.

Jojo

Quote from: Dateline on May 18, 2019, 09:13:21 PM
I'd be curious to know...

Jojo

Quote from: Azzerae on May 19, 2019, 07:35:21 AM
I could use $5. Is participation restricted to the US?
Out of USA is fine, just over 18 and I think at some point they verify your phone number with a text to it.

AZZERAE

Quote from: 14 on May 20, 2019, 04:18:04 AM
Out of USA is fine, just over 18 and I think at some point they verify your phone number with a text to it.

Thanks.

ACE of CLUBS

Mental Wellness Illness Organization . . . . . .

Dr Duh Duh could be the 'poster boy'. . . .
He could buy some candy floss with the $5.-

Asuka Langley

I got my $5 and i became a member so i guess i will get about $25 for bullshitting them total. So $25 aint a bad deal for faking answers for a few minutes. I am going to get a MAC valve and make a boost controller for muh 240SX project nibbas https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-3-Port-Electronic-Boost-Control-Solenoid-Valve-DC12V-5-4W-35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA/173905014461?hash=item287d8beebd:g:NWwAAOSw8MZbvjJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG6Xhsihw_I

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 18, 2019, 11:11:36 PM
And maybe someone will give me $100 to stop writing for 7 days, lol  :).
If he refuses, posting more (and PM'ing) him should be the first step in wearing down his resistance.

*Toe observation above rings true. I would be very afraid of a psych study made up of a substantial portion of Bellgabbers...

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on May 20, 2019, 10:40:21 PM
If he refuses, posting more (and PM'ing) him should be the first step in wearing down his resistance.

*Toe observation above rings true. I would be very afraid of a psych study made up of a substantial portion of Bellgabbers...
;D

Jojo

The research project is still going on, not too late to start.  Ran by a psychologist at University of Virginia and a team.  This is public research, requires demographics, is kind of fun, easy, doesn't take much time and supposedly will help further the field of mental health.

https://mindtrails.virginia.edu/?utm_source=online%20forum&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=NAMI%20anxiety%20forum&utm_content=NAMI%20anxiety%20forum

The questions are about anxiety, not medical conditions.  So when they say your heart beats hard after going up an incline, they are not referring to cardiac problems.  So, just answer like you're healthy but you can give them feedback later when they ask for it in e-mail.  Not much spam, hardly any.  And a few $5 gift cards from a large online vendor of your choice.  I usually choose the nearest department store.

Tip:  When each screen changes after you select yes or no, the yesses and no's are not always in the same position.  They reverse back & forth.  Not sure if it's deliberate or stupid.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Sixteen on June 07, 2019, 04:14:43 PMsupposedly will help further the field of mental health.

Not sure how this is helping anyone when Bellgab is scamming them for gift cards.

This place is kinda shit honestly i have only made $10 and i have to wait 2 more months before i become a  Level 5 Master and get another $5. Then i guess i have to wait another 2 months to get my last $10? Ghey as fug yo.

The only reason i am doing this is to scam the jew faggot psychology professor by feeding her a  bunch of bullshit i know she wants to hear.

(((oy vey)))

Jojo

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on June 07, 2019, 04:34:01 PM
Not sure how this is helping anyone when Bellgab is scamming them for gift cards.

This place is kinda shit honestly i have only made $10 and i have to wait 2 more months before i become a  Level 5 Master and get another $5. Then i guess i have to wait another 2 months to get my last $10? Ghey as fug yo.

The only reason i am doing this is to scam the jew faggot psychology professor by feeding her a  bunch of bullshit i know she wants to hear.

(((oy vey)))

I know the gift cards are just a token, but I've been short on tokens lately.  There is no need to "scam" to obtain them.  The work is easy whether you fake it or do it sincerely.

What do you think about respect?  Well, most good researchers know how to build in "control" questions which expose frauds.  Kind of like the "check digits" near the end of your 16-digit debit/credit card.  If you type your card wrong, the last number of your card (or something like that) is what helps detect the typo.

What makes you think she's Jewish?

albrecht

Quote from: Sixteen on June 07, 2019, 04:14:43 PM
The research project is still going on, not too late to start.  Ran by a psychologist at University of Virginia and a team.  This is public research, requires demographics, is kind of fun, easy, doesn't take much time and supposedly will help further the field of mental health.

The questions are about anxiety, not medical conditions.  So when they say your heart beats hard after going up an incline, they are not referring to cardiac problems.  So, just answer like you're healthy but you can give them feedback later when they ask for it in e-mail.  Not much spam, hardly any.  And a few $5 gift cards from a large online vendor of your choice.  I usually choose the nearest department store.

Tip:  When each screen changes after you select yes or no, the yesses and no's are not always in the same position.  They reverse back & forth.  Not sure if it's deliberate or stupid.

Often these studies, regardless of "tribe" or not, are blinded to particpants and, if more legit, to the operaters themselves. Often the pitch is not what it is. And often use cheap subjects (college, homeless, prison, etc) for the test sample. Also of results aren't as predicted, disappear down memory hole. But if for a drug...find an off label use or some other option.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on June 07, 2019, 09:27:29 PM

Often these studies, regardless of "tribe" or not, are blinded to particpants and, if more legit, to the operaters themselves. Often the pitch is not what it is. And often use cheap subjects (college, homeless, prison, etc) for the test sample. Also of results aren't as predicted, disappear down memory hole. But if for a drug...find an off label use or some other option.
I wondered about that.  In the 1980s, I participated in person in market research, and shortly after that the product we tested hit the market, where it has remained (curly fries  :)). 

Not sure what you mean by medicine?  Lots of ways to cure anxiety, though.

Quote from: Sixteen on June 07, 2019, 09:15:37 PM
I know the gift cards are just a token, but I've been short on tokens lately.  There is no need to "scam" to obtain them.  The work is easy whether you fake it or do it sincerely.

What do you think about respect?  Well, most good researchers know how to build in "control" questions which expose frauds.  Kind of like the "check digits" near the end of your 16-digit debit/credit card.  If you type your card wrong, the last number of your card (or something like that) is what helps detect the typo.

OY VEY! OY GEVALT!

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Sixteen on June 07, 2019, 09:15:37 PM

She is a (((psychologist))) and he name is Bethany (((Teachman)))