• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bakegab: The Bellgab Bakeshop

Started by Roswells, Art, May 06, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 02, 2021, 07:50:20 PM
With a couple other traditional figures.

I used my mom's gingerbread recipe with black treacle instead of molasses and about 25% almond flour to make a higher-quality cookie, and a few freshly ground mace blades and cardamom for a more sophisticated flavor.  The soldier mold's features got more or less wiped by the rising in the oven.  I need to try it with hartshorn instead of baking soda and maybe dry it for 24 hours like springerle before baking to preserve the crisp detail -- the finer elements dry out faster than the main body of the cookie and don't poof as much.  But the trumps came out good; I left one uniced to show it better.

Nice looking cookies, BTW...and oooh!, you used Lyle’s Black Treacle.  :P

K_Dubb

Quote from: Nyewalker on February 02, 2021, 09:33:48 PM
https://streamable.com/5nrswv

This is wonderful.  I feel compelled to clarify that nothing I bake is vegan, light, gluten-free, or makes any concession to health whatever.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 02, 2021, 10:25:48 PM
Nice looking cookies, BTW...and oooh!, you used Lyle’s Black Treacle.  :P

Thanks!  I think I prefer molasses in these but thought I would give it a shot.

AZZERAE

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 03, 2021, 12:11:55 PM
Nothing I bake is vegan, light, gluten-free, or makes any concession to health whatever.

I love you.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 03, 2021, 12:12:56 PM

Really? You didn’t like them with the treacle?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 03, 2021, 12:17:04 PM
Really? You didn’t like them with the treacle?

They are plenty good with the treacle but my mom made them with molasses every year and I suppose I am just used to the tang.  I need to try it in an unfamiliar recipe.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on February 04, 2021, 11:53:30 AM
Please stop touching dinks!

I thought that only happens in a heated debate?

whoozit

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 04, 2021, 11:55:03 AM
I thought that only happens in a heated debate?
I usually suggest touching dinks to diffuse the tension.  Here it is the opposite.

AZZERAE

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 03, 2021, 12:12:56 PM
I never heard of treacle. Molasses, yes, but also complications: sulpherated, unsulpherated, black-strap (dangerous ground now) and then you also have sorghum! And the AM garden guy on the weekend telling me to use molasses for some kind of "tea" for plants!  And I seem to recall a frightening event of molasses that drowned people in Boston.

K_Dubb

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 01, 2021, 07:47:37 PM
The large measure of cornstarch added seems to be her innovation, probably to simulate cake flour.  I did it, and it's nice.

This time, taking advantage of the heated syrup you make at first, I tried adding the cornstarch to the syrup to "activate" it -- whatever the word is where it starts to thicken in warm liquid instead of using it dry -- before dumping into the flour, makes an odd texture but at least eaten warm seems to be a superior cookie, much springier and more tender.  Also, IT IS SNOWING!

pate

Today I am revisiting my Carrot Cake recipe that I apparently last made March 16th of 2016.

I am apparently a procrastinator, as I have been planning this revisit for some time now.  I am certain the carrots I used haven't been sitting in the fridge since then.  I think they found their way to me in the past few months or so courtesy the retired short-colonel in the neighborhood who likes to visit the free Veteran Food Box day at the VA and pick up several boxes of whatever they are offering and picks out what he wants, then calls me up offering me the Onions, Carrots, Potatos and whatever.

He's an odd one, is actually a landlord in the 'hood, so it is not like he needs the free food.  I think his theory is that it would go in the trash if he didn't help himself.  He has been giving me the Thanksgiving turkey the past few years, I am not certain if he gets several of those and likes passing them out to friends and neighbors or if it is something he doesn't know how to cook?

Anyway, back to the Carrot Cake MkII (I had to make a new recipe, apparently in 2016 I was in the early stages of converting everything into the Professional Flour% formulas that are much easier to scale up/down).

I haven't worked out the flour% for this one yet, as it is sort of a "test batch," but here is what I used:

250g  AP Flour
10g  Baking Soda
10g  Baking Powder
  2g  Salt
  8g  Ground Cinnamon
  2g  Ground Nutmeg
  2g  Ground Cloves
  2g  Ground Allspice
200g  Eggs (~4 Large/XLarge with 2-4g H2O added to bring them up to an even 200g)
258g  Oil (I chose to use Peanut today)
192g  White Sugar
228g  Brown Sugar
12g  Vanilla Extract
454g  Grated Carrots (that's 1 pound in American)
130g  Chopped Nuts (English Walnuts, as I was low on my favored Pecans)
184g  Raisins (These can be Black Raisins, Gold Raisins, Currants &tc)

This is probably more a Spice Cake with Carrots added.  It matters little, I look at it as merely a vehicle for delivery of the 2lbs of Cream Cheese frosting I am making for it.  Here's the frosting:

1 lb  Cream Cheese        (454g)
0.5lb Butter              (227g)
2tsp  Vanilla Extract      (12g)
4cups Confectioner's Sugar (480g)

I haven't yet converted the sugar into grams (I usually just look at the nutrition label and use that, heck I will do that right now).  I guess that works out to about 2.5lbs of Cream Cheese frosting...

I don't know that I have quite enough Confectioner's Sugar, I might have to "jazz up" some White Sugar up in the spice grinder to make some impromptu super-fine

350F oven.  The original recipe was for a single layer "Suzy-homemaker" 9x13 pan, but I am trying it out split into my newish 1/4 sheet pans.  Anyway, according to my notes of Mar 2016 I apparently wasn't happy with how "not done" the recipe was after 40-45mins and decided to try for 50mins "next time."

That may have worked in the original "Suzy-homemaker pan, but apparently the 40-45 is perfect for 2x 1/4 Standard Sheet Pans.

I want a double-decker (hence the 2.5 lbs of icing, which I hope will be enough).

Kitchen smelled great while it was baking, although now that I have a pot of marinara sauce on the stove and am making the last of this season's Peppermint Syrup the kitchen smells wierd.  Spice Cake + Tomato Sauce + Mint Syrup!  Will probably get even weirder when I throw the Focaccia Breadsticks in the oven with the Lasagna...

It is cooling now.

Hey Roz, during this project I decided that the PFDRp could use a dish-washerRestaurant Test Kitchen Lab Tech.  I think we can offer the position as a Work-Study thing to learn about the PFDRp[/i] customs/language/culture/cuisine/etc.  You might be getting tired of living in that wage-slave hell-hole of a 1st-whirl'd country you reside in and might want to experience the luxury of a 0th-whirl'd country.  I have decided that, based on qualifications, the starting salary for this Restaurant Test Kitchen Lab Tech should be 1,000,000PC/yr (patecoins, the official digital tender/currency of the PFDRp.  The USD exchange rate is quite favorable, I understand)...

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on October 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PMHe has been giving me the Thanksgiving turkey the past few years

This is the only thing left to him that let's him feel like he's a real hunter.

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on October 01, 2022, 06:57:24 PM[img]http://www.suiwerleer.co.za/bilder/gasteboek1.hey stupid Champion Of The World, me an Roald are going to actually fucking kill you and turn you into soup!urk/img]

Seems harsh. Nice easter egg though.

Rustic shear scored boule. Simple. Pure. The way it was meant to be.

Quote from: pate on October 31, 2022, 06:52:19 PMGood looking loaf.  Care to share the formula/recipe?

-p

Thanks pate, here ya go!

pate

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 31, 2022, 07:16:34 PM

Thanks pate, here ya go!

I was worried I would have to watch that, luckily I found:

QuoteINGREDIENTS:
****TO MY FRIENDS IN EUROPE/UK: The all purpose flour that i typically use is King Arthur which is about 11.7% protein. Your All Purpose flour may be different than what's available in the US. If in doubt, choose a flour that has between 11-12% protein and you should be in good shape!

ALSO if you have never made bread before, this dough is 78% hydration and will be slightly sicky. Use 75 less grams water in the final dough and it will be much easier to handle.

PREFERMENT (POOLISH) 

150g or ROUGHLY 1 C. AP FLOUR
150g or ROUGHLY 2/3C. WATER (ROOM TEMP)
1 small pinch YEAST
- let the poolish ripen on counter 4-24 hours, preferably at least 16

DOUGH
280g or 1 1/4C.WATER (98F)
2g or 1/2 TSP YEAST
ALL OF THE POOLISH
350g or 2 1/4 C. AP FLOUR
50g or ROUGHLY 1/3 C. WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
10g or roughly 1.5 TSP KOSHER SALT

BAKING TIMES/ TEMPS
METHOD 1: 525 the whole time for 14-18 minutes (spray loaf for steam)
METHOD 2- Preheat Dutch Oven at 500 for 30-40 minutes, bake at 500 covered for 12min and 485 uncovered for additional 8-12 depending on oven and desired color.
METHOD  3: Preheat Dutch Oven at 485-500 for 30-40 minutes, bake at 485 covered for 18 minutes, and 485 uncovered for additional 25-30 depending on oven and desired color.

In the vidya description.

-p