• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bakegab: The Bellgab Bakeshop

Started by Roswells, Art, May 06, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

K_Dubb

Here is the cake, all shiny and brown!  Wonder of wonders, it set up.  I have my doubts about the toothpick test, though; it was a little iffy.  The middle is likely to be a little messy.

The house does smell great in the way only gingerbread can deliver, all caramel sugar and spices.

K_Dubb

It sliced!

Wishing to fully appreciate the effects of aging on this ancient and noble cake (and also because the smell was driving me crazy) I sampled a piece.  While it tastes wonderful, the oats (American steel-cut oats roughly processed per the directions) are still very crunchy and the surrounding matrix very glue-like.   I can imagine how, if the oats are allowed to absorb moisture from the surrounding glue by the leveling principle otherwise noted in these pages (and often called for in older recipes like true pound cake and fruitcakes) the texture might improve significantly.  Otherwise that grit seems likely to pass undigested while the sticky business surrounding it wreaks havoc on my teeth.

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 08, 2020, 06:23:29 PM
I don't suppose there is a race with a sweeter tooth than the English

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 08, 2020, 09:52:11 PM
it wreaks havoc on my teeth.

Looks like you got it real close, texture is nice, color seems a bit lighter (did you find treacle?). The syrups and lard are intriguing, but holy fuck those ratios. I don't think I could enjoy anything that sweet.

K_Dubb

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 08, 2020, 10:32:34 PM
Looks like you got it real close, texture is nice, color seems a bit lighter (did you find treacle?). The syrups and lard are intriguing, but holy fuck those ratios. I don't think I could enjoy anything that sweet.

I did not find treacle and had to use the only grade of molasses stores seem to stock any more.  You used to be able to get two or three, plus blackstrap.  The lard I have encountered, and used, before in old pebernødder recipes from Denmark just across the water (not surprisingly) where you also melt it into the syrup.  Yeah, those are really cookie ratios and each of those little squares smashed flat would make a sizable one.

DynamoHum

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 08, 2020, 09:52:11 PM
It sliced!

Wishing to fully appreciate the effects of aging on this ancient and noble cake (and also because the smell was driving me crazy) I sampled a piece.  While it tastes wonderful, the oats (American steel-cut oats roughly processed per the directions) are still very crunchy and the surrounding matrix very glue-like.   I can imagine how, if the oats are allowed to absorb moisture from the surrounding glue by the leveling principle otherwise noted in these pages (and often called for in older recipes like true pound cake and fruitcakes) the texture might improve significantly.  Otherwise that grit seems likely to pass undigested while the sticky business surrounding it wreaks havoc on my teeth.

It looks pretty good ... hubby has been nibbling away at our version, will post pics on Wednesday when it is officially ok to eat. We didn’t go with lard, but your version looks very similar to mine, it will be interesting to do the taste test tomorrow!

Don’t forget that that Oop North they need food which will keep them going in the sub arctic conditions. Probably explains the need for stodgy at this level.

Glad you liked the archived cookbooks :)

K_Dubb

Quote from: DynamoHum on November 10, 2020, 08:59:06 AM
It looks pretty good ... hubby has been nibbling away at our version, will post pics on Wednesday when it is officially ok to eat. We didn’t go with lard, but your version looks very similar to mine, it will be interesting to do the taste test tomorrow!

Don’t forget that that Oop North they need food which will keep them going in the sub arctic conditions. Probably explains the need for stodgy at this level.

Glad you liked the archived cookbooks :)

Haha yeah I like all that stodge, suet puddings, etc, even the old ones unleavened and just boiled in a towel.  And this has that taste, something you can easily imagine people thinking was incredibly delicious a couple hundred years ago.  I especially love the idea of advancing the gingerbread season into early November!  Normally I do not like baking out of season but give me some flimsy historical pretext and I am all yours.

pate

Does candy making qualify?   You could always add the Devil's Lettuce to the butter in this one to make it a "baking" recipe I guess.  I made some toffee the other day and wasn't quite happy with how it turned out, mainly that I didn't make enough toffee to cover the cashews, walnuts and almonds that make the base of the thing.  It was fine, but was more nuts than toffee.  I have eaten all of it and now want to make some more.

This time while I am cooking it I think I will put the pan that I am going to make it in into the oven with the nuts, to make everything hot so that the hot toffee spreads evenly into the nooks and crannies of all the nuts and maybe toast the nuts a bit too.  I used raw almonds, cashews and walnuts and they got a bit gummy near the end, so maybe the oven time can toast them a bit before the molten candy hits them.

It is a pretty simple recipe, the original one called for equal parts by volume of sugar and butter (I think unsalted, but I use whatever), halved pecans and chocolate chips.

You lightly grease a pan with some butter, arrange the pecan halves in a single layer.  Then you melt the butter and sugar together and heat it up until the stuff caremelizes and gets to the "hard crack" stage.  Dump it out on top of the pecans, a spoon or something is allowed to spread it around.  And then before it cools down you throw the chocolate chips on top and let the heat of the cooling toffee melt/temper the chocolate which you can then spread around with a spatula.  Let it completely cool, and break it into pieces and seal in an airtight container.

Over the years, I have modified this a bit;  I have found that it can get "grainy" unless you add a little bit of corn syrup, or alternately you can brush the sides of the pot with a pastry brush soaked in water (this washes any sugar crystals back down into the glop where they melt, but takes longer because the stuff doesn't get hot enough until all the water boils evaporates out).  Even substituted Corn Flakes one time for the nuts, which turned out pretty decent.

This last time, I used some chunk of what I assumed to be Ghiradeli (sp) chocolate that had melted in my mom's cupboard years ago that she gave me, I just chucked it into the freezer and forgot about it until I found it a few months back.  I chopped that up with a knife, decided it wasn't going to be enough and found a few leftover bags of both White Chocolate and Milk Chocolate chips in the fridge and added that.  I was hoping to get some cool white chocolate swirls or something, but by the time I finished spreading it all around it had just mixed together...

I didn't care really, I just wanted to eat the damn candy.  Hah.  It was good, but now I am planning on making another batch, because I want to see these white/dark chocolate swirls in there.

I also want to try making caramels, but to only use Heavy Cream and not the Condensed/Evaporated milk most recipes I have found call for.  I have made caramel sauce this way, and figure that before Condensed/Evaporated milk existed this must have been how caramels were originally made.

The other "research" project I have been thinking of is to make I guess gumdrops or fruit gummy candies.  It seems to me that most Gummy candies commercially produced are made with Apple Juice, I figure other juices could probably be used as well and it would be much better to have your Grape Gummy candy actually made with Grape Juice, your Lemon one with Lemon Juice, etc & so on...

https://youtu.be/kxTB4FQ5wJ0

Robert

Here the Admiral of unknown vintage electric stove's oven's temperature sensing went kablooie a few days ago.  I think it still broils but when I attempted to roast/bake, it was obviously at a much lower temperature than it thought.  And here I have some homemade pizza dough to use up, and if that doesn't happen soon it'll be unintended sourdough.  I chickened out on attempting to do a pan pizza on the gas grill in the back yard after my landlady thought it would kill the pan (and possibly its own rack) if I tried to do it even with indirect heat.  I've been barbecuing the past 2 days on it -- steaks with company and then teriyaki chicken legs for us today -- in this Indian summer, but rain'scoming the next 2 days.

Think I can broil the pizza in the pan?

I don't think I want to attempt microwaving the pizza dough.

Jackstar

Quote from: Robert on November 10, 2020, 08:47:41 PM

Robert, as far as I'm concerned about you, you can broil a pizza in my pants.

Robert

Quote from: Jackstar on November 10, 2020, 09:02:31 PM
Robert, as far as I'm concerned about you, you can broil a pizza in my pants.
I used to hear of "hot pants", but that's ridiculous.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Robert on November 10, 2020, 08:47:41 PM

Sure you can but your toppings will get burnt.  I'd be inclined to make a calzone with it and flip it halfway through.

Ciardelo

If there's anybody that knows about "flipping" or rather "ass over teakettle" it's our very own K_Dubb, amirite, folks?

K_Dubb

Flipping is easy stuff you should see me make a pretzel.

Robert

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 11, 2020, 11:32:53 AMSure you can but your toppings will get burnt.  I'd be inclined to make a calzone with it and flip it halfway through.
I tried toasting the sauced crust first (by broiling) with the sausage, then putting on the cheese and vegetables and broiling that.  I don't think I broiled the crust long enough, because after all this the pizza came out like a conventional pie pie with a somewhat soggy crust, needing to be eaten with a fork.  Now that I've used up the dough -- half had already been used for a pizza while the oven was still working as such -- I won't make it again until I have a temperature-controlled oven.  I'll use up the yeast by fermenting beverages.

pate

Quote from: Robert on November 14, 2020, 10:48:45 AM
I tried toasting the sauced crust first (by broiling) with the sausage, then putting on the cheese and vegetables and broiling that.  I don't think I broiled the crust long enough, because after all this the pizza came out like a conventional pie pie with a somewhat soggy crust, needing to be eaten with a fork.  Now that I've used up the dough -- half had already been used for a pizza while the oven was still working as such -- I won't make it again until I have a temperature-controlled oven.  I'll use up the yeast by fermenting beverages.

Next time, try broiling the crust un-sauced.  Then flip it to the un-toasted side and sauce, cheese & vegetable it and finish the broil.  Soggy crust was from a "wet" par-broil (I have heard of par-boiling, so why not par-broiling?) I bet.

WOTR

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 11, 2020, 11:37:18 AM
If there's anybody that knows about "flipping" or rather "ass over teakettle" it's our very own K_Dubb, amirite, folks?

Well, he sure seems to be backing Biden instead of Pate now that the election if over...

Ciardelo

Quote from: WOTR on November 14, 2020, 10:16:42 PM
Well, he sure seems to be backing Biden instead of Pate now that the election if over...

Yep.

pate

Quote from: WOTR on November 14, 2020, 10:16:42 PM

What treachery is this?

WOTR

Quote from: pate on November 14, 2020, 11:04:37 PM
What treachery is this?

So far he refuses to acknowledge that the election was stolen and the voting machines rigged. To me, that says that he refuses to acknowledge you as the proper ruler or the US, and is willing to allow Biden to steal the election.  >:(

Traitorous behaviour.

pate

Quote from: Innerreach on November 15, 2020, 01:32:31 AM
https://imgur.com/3wZ2dGY

If "they" (hobo elite) say that is anything other than a veritable army of "pate" supporters it is Fake News.

pate/K_Dubb 2020
"We are going to fix this shit"

pate

Quote from: WOTR on November 15, 2020, 01:29:20 AM
So far he refuses to acknowledge that the election was stolen and the voting machines rigged. To me, that says that he refuses to acknowledge you as the proper ruler or the US, and is willing to allow Biden to steal the election.  >:(

Traitorous behaviour.

As with the "missing memo" on Hanz Too's lateral promotion, K_Dubb may have inadvertently missed a few Top Secret:  Eyes Only campaign communications via the Shadow PMs System.

He may be unaware that we were actually aware.  This is forgivable, time will heal this oversight.

I did assign a separate but equal security detail to him early in the campaign, it may be due to that.

Nautical Shore.

pate/K_Dubb 2020

WOTR

Quote from: pate on November 15, 2020, 01:40:08 AM
As with the "missing memo" on Hanz Too's lateral promotion, K_Dubb may have inadvertently missed a few Top Secret:  Eyes Only campaign communications via the Shadow PMs System.

He may be unaware that we were actually aware.  This is forgivable, time will heal this oversight.

I did assign a separate but equal security detail to him early in the campaign, it may be due to that.

Nautical Shore.

pate/K_Dubb 2020

Very benevolent. I shall endeavour to follow your lead and forgive him for his apparent treason and look for more innocuous explanations and once again embrace the Vice President elect. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on November 15, 2020, 02:01:17 AM
...and once again embrace the Vice President elect.

Put your back into it this time!

pate

Three Hundred Twenty, Sunday (FSS Three Day Weekend, FFS)"AYE COMM OBLAST"

Quote from: WOTR on November 15, 2020, 01:29:20 AM

Traitorous behaviour.

I will not make the following an official communique from the Office of the Shadow President-elect to the CMDR: AFL(I)Corps (CAN):

WOTR, thank you again for your attempts as a foreign national in your continuing support and effort on behalf of the MAPA campaign.  In particular I wish to thank you again for your useful advice on insuring the Voting Machines in the USA will operate to insure that Improperly Marked Ballots are corrected on the spot.  It is unfortunate that there was an apparent "glitch" that caused our efforts to completely back-fire reslutting in no single ballot for "pate" being registered anywhere.  I am certain this has something to do with the issue we are having with the Shadow PMs System and "missing memos":  we are looking into that shit so that we can fix it.  Hopefully before the New Year, and certainly within a fortnight thereof it WILL BE FIXED.  I look forward to sending a memo out to all campaign staff thanking them and arranging for extra plums for everyone involved.

On this mid-January Plum issue:  I believe the Plums will be out of season in the CONUS at this time, so we may have to find a reliable supplier OCONUS.  We are already working, behind the scenes, on fixing that potential shit-storm as I type.

I would also like to address these allegations of Traitorous Behavior on K_Dubb's part;  on my part I would like to address it in two parts:  First, part of my pledge to the American People was that there would be no recriminations, back-stabbings or jostlings-for-power until the conclusion of the first 100 days of the MAPA process.

Secondly:

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 07, 2020, 11:39:57 PM
Dear sir,

I blame myself for the failure of the American media to recognize the legitimacy of your victory...

Yours faithfully and ever,
kdubb

Which while actually received on 07NOV2020;  data logs indicate that it was actually sent at some point in the AM hours (0dark:thirty) 04NOV2020.  I believe this is again some sort of issue with the Shadow PMs System.  Once we can determine exactly when K_Dubb actually sent that message, we will of course correct and back-date it to reflect the official MAPA timeline.  There are many moving parts at work behind the scenes, as always, so although this is a high priority, it is not the HIGHEST PRIORITY.  We do not want to put the Chicken in front of the Barn Door while Two Horses hide in the Bushes;  what would the Fox think?

I hope this clears up this small misunderstanding about Traitorous Behavior, I will question Hanz Too about this later today during his Remedial Physical Training (he is getting a bit fat) in the back yard to make sure that he was in no way involved in the fomentation of dissension within the ranks.

To soothe you savage beasties, Hear Musaks:

https://youtu.be/F8OLDqOAvhM

(Un-Official, Cleared For Public Dissemination)

-p

ediot: Traitorous Behavior on K_Dubb's part;  on my part I would like to address it in two parts  While intended to convey two parts, the analysis of the statement indicates a set of THREE ...<x>... NINETEEN POINT FIVE parts.  We are looking into the coding error that may have caused this, it could also be BAD INPUT  Nautical Shore.

Quote from: WOTR on October 08, 2019, 08:35:56 PM
So I decided to try my hand at Kimchee. I bought everything from my local Asian store and mixed to together. I then opened the jar of fermented shrimp paste. Yes... fermented (rotting) shrimp (seafood) left for a month under the tropical sun and then put through a grinder. It smelled exactly how you might expect.

I added a few scoops of this rancid, foul smelling paste to my fresh vegetables. And then I licked a tiny amount off of the spoon.

Where I used to like Kimchee, I can no longer stand it. I immediately identify the rotting fish taste and my stomach tightens in anticipation of an emergency purge.

My best advice is to avoid the Saeujeot- it is a waste product passed off as food.

In a 2005 review of the South Korean movie Oldboy, Reed wrote:
What else can you expect from a nation weaned on kimchi, a mixture of raw garlic and cabbage buried underground until it rots, dug up from the grave and then served in earthenware pots sold at the Seoul airport as souvenirs?

Modern kimchi is ghastly, lots of restaurants make it with Sprite to suit the corn syrup embalmed masses. Store bought Gochujang might as well be drain cleaner, I'm sure it would work. It's little wonder why Korea has the highest rates of stomach cancer. That said, I do enjoy a traditional prep of it every now and then with good quality ingredients.

albrecht

I always wondered. Still do. But the interwebs claim there is a difference between a Calzone and a Stromboli. And people are fairly adamant about the difference. Not sure where "pizza rolls" or "pepperoni rolls" fit into the debate.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on November 16, 2020, 06:05:21 PM
I always wondered. Still do. But the interwebs claim there is a difference between a Calzone and a Stromboli. And people are fairly adamant about the difference. Not sure where "pizza rolls" or "pepperoni rolls" fit into the debate.

They are in their own category I think.

https://youtu.be/1914eEHOZPw