• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Go Palm!!! Die Apple!! Die Apple!!

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 08, 2009, 01:51:51 AM

MV/Liberace!

remember palm?  they're in big trouble.  the company is dying.  they've been asleep at the switch for years now.  their only hope is their new phone, the pre.  if it fails, palm will too. 

the pre is supposed to be released very soon (maybe within 2 weeks).  it is the latest phone to bear the distinction of being a possible iPhone killer.  what sets this phone apart from previous supposed iPhone killers is the fact that this phone actually does have the potential to live up to all of that exciting hype.

i hate apple, i hate the iPhone, and i want to see them destroyed.  i hate the way they do business and i dislike the attitude so many of their oblivious customers have toward the PC.  i almost got off on a tangent there.  anyway... i believe the iPhone to be a substandard product that captured a load of market share merely because the other phones out there are just bad.  that doesn't necessarily make the iPhone god's gift. 

palm's pre has me hoping for something to unseat the iPhone as the smartphone benchmark by which all others are measured.

what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnlzbuLRwM#

Centurion73

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 08, 2009, 01:51:51 AM
remember palm?  they're in big trouble.  the company is dying.  they've been asleep at the switch for years now.  their only hope is their new phone, the pre.  if it fails, palm will too. 

the pre is supposed to be released very soon (maybe within 2 weeks).  it is the latest phone to bear the distinction of being a possible iPhone killer.  what sets this phone apart from previous supposed iPhone killers is the fact that this phone actually does have the potential to live up to all of that exciting hype.

i hate apple, i hate the iPhone, and i want to see them destroyed.  i hate the way they do business and i dislike the attitude so many of their oblivious customers have toward the PC.  i almost got off on a tangent there.  anyway... i believe the iPhone to be a substandard product that captured a load of market share merely because the other phones out there are just bad.  that doesn't necessarily make the iPhone god's gift. 

palm's pre has me hoping for something to unseat the iPhone as the smartphone benchmark by which all others are measured.

what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnlzbuLRwM#

Almost sounds that you dislike Apple & Mac  ;D

Agreed palm fell asleep at the switch damn near 8 or more years ago but I love your PC, Mac tangents it gets that less that 5% of the market so worked up.

I hate Mac too. They overcharge for everything, and their hardware/software is so stiff and incompatible with anything. The only reason people buy ipods/iphones is because they're "hip" right now. Fuck apples in the wormhole.

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on May 08, 2009, 12:55:37 PM
I hate Mac too. They overcharge for everything, and their hardware/software is so stiff and incompatible with anything. The only reason people buy ipods/iphones is because they're "hip" right now. Fuck apples in the wormhole.

Word to that.  MACs suck, they always sucked.  "Oooh, they're good for art & design."  So was the Commodore AMIGA.  Blow me.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 09, 2009, 02:10:55 PM
Word to that.  MACs suck, they always sucked.  "Oooh, they're good for art & design."  So was the Commodore AMIGA.  Blow me.

I do design on my PC - thanks. Even animation. I can, and do, work on MACs at the U - but they are NOT the magic machines Macophiles insist they are. They DO crash - the DO lock up. And, as for the song and dance that Machophiles do re: lack of software conflicsw - well HELL - there isn't enough of a variety of software AVAILABLE for the Mac to make conflicts likley!  (besides which software conflicts are a rare bird these days on any platform)  Since I work on a PC so much more often, I can't tell you what the ratio is - but they are not flawless machines.

More - I get really really annoyed at Machophiles who insist that "getting a Mac" will solve all your computing probelms.  It's fine if it's a joke - but when i am rusing through some online interactive development module - ask a question about my JavaScript errors - and get the reply "get a Mac!"  (which, in case you don't know - has absofuckinglutly NOTHING to do with JavaScript code quirks) This commnet makes as much sence and is just as helpful as if you got a spasum in your leg, could not walk well, asked a friend for help and they replied "I've always TOLD you green is not your color!"

Frys Girl

long time pc user - always hated it. mac changed my life. i understand the beef people have with mac, but the products are fantastic. The only problem I had was the first gen ipod, but a lawsuit got me 50 bucks of it back - stupid!

EvB

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 09, 2009, 04:21:48 PM
long time pc user - always hated it. mac changed my life. i understand the beef people have with mac, but the products are fantastic. The only problem I had was the first gen ipod, but a lawsuit got me 50 bucks of it back - stupid!

I've heard that from a number of people who made the switch - and I say "GREAT!  Glad you're happy!" I don't think that Mac is a bad product.  Far from it. All I'm bitching about is the random proselytizing Machophiles can't seem to resist.  :P

Centurion73

QuoteSo was the Commodore AMIGA.  Blow me.
HAhhahahahhahahhahha, I forgot about the Amiga until you said it hahhahahhahha.

Quotethey are NOT the magic machines Macophiles insist they are.
What, I have been deceived?

QuoteI hate Mac too. They overcharge for everything, and their hardware/software is so stiff and incompatible with anything. The only reason people buy ipods/iphones is because they're "hip" right now. Fuck apples in the wormhole.
Comment: Classic

Quoteask a question about my JavaScript errors - and get the reply "get a Mac!"
AHHHAHAHHAHHA

Quoteproselytizing Machophiles can't seem to resist

You fucking guys are all right on the mark and it is just so funny to read, I give props to Fry as she was the only one to "woman" up and say that they are fantastic  ;D

Please send more I am in dire need of laughter and you  guys are supplying it, thanks.

EvB

QuoteI give props to Fry as she was the only one to "woman" up and say that they are fantastic  ;D

I think Fry's Girl is the BOMB - but in this case I have to say that:

She's not a techie (Mac Techie is an oxymoron anyway  ;D )
    She is one of the few on here who use the "Apple Thingy" (her term)
    She's in love with her iPhone (need I say more?)

Now, if our "Free Cake" lady comes on - SHE may punch  my lights out  :-\

Quote from: EvB on May 09, 2009, 07:58:59 PM

My ex girlfriend has recently become a Mac lover. She uses her laptop for video editing and stuff. I always fixed her PC when things went wrong, but with her Macbook, it's like..GAHHH. WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN USER FRIENDLY? Seriously, the more an operating system tries to become "user friendly" (AKA, "Vista") it becomes much less flexible and compatible, and much harder to diagnose issues or fix problems. As someone who is going into the IT field, I must profess my profound hatred of all things Mac.

I think everyone should do themselves a favor and stick to PC and Windows XP, linux, or Ubuntu. If not for yourself, do it for your friends in the tech field..please? :)

Frys Girl

I have to stick my nose in here again. I called it an "apple thingy" as a joke. I was just a year into Apple. You will never let that joke go EvB! It's not pure evidence at all.  ;:)

What no one ever mentions is how little Mac OS has changed over the years. Sorry but it is just much more user friendly and I don't mean "any idiot can use it". I just like the consistency and basic functions when it comes to networking and organizing. I never had this with a PC. I don't think I should have to read a bunch of Oreilly textbooks to be able to use my computer for basic shit.

I don't get the insecurity by PC snobs/fanatics. I had two friends who were in PC programming and help desk stuff. They were terrified of mac popularity. They would make fun of my mac too. One of them was dating my friend and he forbade her to buy a mac. She ended up spending loads more on all this security and norton nonsense.

EvB

QuoteI have to stick my nose in here again. I called it an "apple thingy" as a joke. I was just a year into Apple. You will never let that joke go EvB! It's not pure evidence at all.  ;:)

Oh dear!  I'm picking up bad habits from CENTURION!   :P   Besides - I've only mentioned it twice.

I don't create single-poster threads on "I hate Macs and here are all the out-of-context and interpreted-for-my-purpose quotes that show why I'm RIGHT dammit!"   So Cent's influence is limited

(Buck up Centurion - I take my shots where I find 'em!)

QuoteI don't get the insecurity by PC snobs/fanatics. I had two friends who were in PC programming and help desk stuff. They were terrified of mac popularity. They would make fun of my mac too. One of them was dating my friend and he forbade her to buy a mac. She ended up spending loads more on all this security and norton nonsense.

Well, I'm not a snob - just sticking with my investment. I also don't know if "snob" really applies to PC people - defensiveness against the loud (and often obnoxious) minority maybe.

As for your friend - she should either insist the boyfriend perform all maintenance, tweaks and upgrades on her PC - or go pound sand.

QuoteSeriously, the more an operating system tries to become "user friendly" (AKA, "Vista") it becomes much less flexible and compatible, and much harder to diagnose issues or fix problems.

AMEN!

saab93driver

My company provided Iphones to everyone who has a company phone.  As a Linux/PC user I wasn't amused.  As far as the phone part goes I am not that impressed, my 3 years old Samsung was a better "phone" in every respect.  The Iphone does do a bunch of things but none of them brilliantly.  The bluetooth is so crippled it only talks to an earpiece (not a computer, not voice recognition without an add in app)  and Itunes locks you into using apple products to talk to the phone (no Linux app that I know of for it either).

That said the potential of such a hand held internet device is impressive and the key for the competition is to compete not only with the hardware but with the the number of apps written for it.  There are thousands of apps for the Iphone and for just about anything you could think of and some things you couldn't.  The apps are what make the iphone tolerable and no other device has been able to top that. 

Centurion73

HHAHHAHAHHAHA, "Mac Techie is an oxymoron anyway" oh man the comedy.

QuoteOh dear!  I'm picking up bad habits from CENTURION!   :P   Besides - I've only mentioned it twice.

I don't create single-poster threads on "I hate Macs and here are all the out-of-context and interpreted-for-my-purpose quotes that show why I'm RIGHT dammit!"   So Cent's influence is limited

(Buck up Centurion - I take my shots where I find 'em!)

None taken my dear friend if we still are but that is for you to decide? And I can take the shots if I am going to dish it then I better be able to stand up to it, you are learning well young one, Original Darth Vader voice: Soon you will be the master  ;D

EvB

QuoteNone taken my dear friend if we still are but that is for you to decide? And I can take the shots if I am going to dish it then I better be able to stand up to it, you are learning well young one, Original Darth Vader voice: Soon you will be the master  ;D                 

I tend to ignore people I don't like!

MV/Liberace!

fuck me running.  i go to atlanta for 28 hours and this place explodes.  ok, here goes:

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 09, 2009, 02:10:55 PM
So was the Commodore AMIGA.  Blow me.
BWAHAHAHAHA

Quote from: EvB on May 09, 2009, 03:23:29 PM
...they are NOT the magic machines Macophiles insist they are. They DO crash - the DO lock up. And, as for the song and dance that Machophiles do re: lack of software conflicsw - well HELL - there isn't enough of a variety of software AVAILABLE for the Mac to make conflicts likley!
it goes beyond software.  every mac contains EXACTLY THE SAME HARDWARE.  as such, apple has to provide support in their OS for only the hardware they have included in the architecture of their machines.  in the PC world, MS has to provide support in windows for the hardware used by EVERY PC MANUFACTURER OUT THERE going back 20+ years.  it's a very difficult juggling act MS is required to perform, and despite their inadequacies as an OS manufacturer (inadequacies which are not limited only to MS), they do a pretty good job of keeping up with the 10,000,000,000 possible combinations of hardware and/or software their customers might be using.   quite an amazing feat, actually.  based on the closed architecture of the mac and the convenience apple enjoys of having ONLY to support their chosen architecture, a macintosh should almost NEVER experience a problem.  but they do.  in other words, based on the afore-described set of development circumstances, 1 mac crash or problem should be viewed to be as embarrassing or disappointing as 10,000 windows problems.  spinning beach ball, anyone?

Quote from: EvB on May 09, 2009, 05:53:24 PM
I don't think that Mac is a bad product.  Far from it.
you're right about that.  the mac as a product is amazing.  and it had better be, too.  when a company only has to support THEIR hardware natively in an operating system, it should be a cakewalk to develop an OS in such a controlled environment.  my problem with apple is their incessant insistence that a $700 computer (and yes, it's a computer contrary to seemingly popular belief) should cost $2,000.  you'd think a mac is powered not by electrons, but by juices, berries, and the laughs of playing children.

haha... and you even remember how many times YOU have mentioned this to her.  hahaha

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on May 09, 2009, 08:07:34 PM
...linux, or Ubuntu.
the future of computing, my friend.  all free, all open source.  the future is not MS.  it's not apple.

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 09, 2009, 08:20:53 PM
What no one ever mentions is how little Mac OS has changed over the years.
the reason no one ever mentions it is because it's not true.  MacOS has undergone profound changes multiple times, and each time these changes have rendered users of apple's previous architecture the owners of obsolete junk for which apple provides no further support.  and i don't mention this as a criticism of apple.  rather, it's what has enabled them to write a more modern operating system than windows.  microsoft is stuck supporting legacy hardware and software dating back 20 years because windows is primarily a business OS.  always was.  and businesses demand continued support for their insanely obscure, vertically utilized applications and infrastructure, placing MS in a difficult position.  the good news is MS is about to lay the ground work required to emerge from this legacy support hole they've dug for themselves through virtualization.  users of windows7 pro, enterprise, and ultimate will experience this.  for those who don't understand wtf i'm talking about regarding virtualization in win7, i'll kindly ask that you google it.  haha

Quote from: saab93driver on May 09, 2009, 09:15:00 PM
The Iphone does do a bunch of things but none of them brilliantly. 
preach it.

Quote from: Centurion73 on May 09, 2009, 09:21:57 PM
HHAHHAHAHHAHA, "Mac Techie is an oxymoron anyway" oh man the comedy.
haha, i love your reactions.

danDNA

i've heard Clive Sinclair is coming back with a computer/phone you can ride to work, yes, RIDE TO WORK on. and all from a garden shed in Walton-on-Thames. google that.

Frys Girl

I will go out on a limb  here and say that maybe apple isn't "the best". (I can hear you laughing at me already). However, I think it's the best in the market. If there is something better, then why hasn't it emerged? I think apple is successful not because it's the best, but because they understand the mass market best.

If linux and other open source = the future, then great. But what the fuck is taking them so long? I've heard this for years? BTW is linux that cute penguin or is that redhat?

I just don't understand why these computer programming snobs keep this stuff tucked away or underground. Is there some organized effort to suppress them OR are people (me included) too stupid to learn it because we've grown accustomed to MS/APPLE?

Again, I'm very happy with my iphone and my apple machines in general. More happy then I've been with any PC in the past. Everyday I feel like a kid on X-mas morning because this machine is so great. I don't doubt that you guys have this feeling about whatever products you're into, but that's because they perform the functions you require and you've had the talent and time to unlock those capabilities. I haven't. That doesn't mean I'm a bad computer user or feeding a shitty product line. If it was shit, I wouldn't buy it over and over again. Back in 2004 I vowed to keep with Apple. Their customer service is what really got me; it's not just the products themselves that I find suit my needs.

With Dell, I had to fix my parents' computer once, and they charged me 400 bucks to take out a virus that I suspect my dad picked up  ;:) in some shady you know where site... Oh and after the guy asked me "where are you from?" and I responded with a "where are YOU from?" and got "Soviet Union", I was creeped out forever! (oh no! a comma splice! I'm out of here).

Centurion73

MV, your post made me piss my pants laughing and yes it was worth the humiliation I will now suffer and the wet seat, but I have not felt that strange warmness in a while so...

Quotea $700 computer (and yes, it's a computer contrary to seemingly popular belief) should cost $2,000.  you'd think a mac is powered not by electrons, but by juices, berries, and the laughs of playing children.

Mark Twain could not have said or written it better.

Apple Thingy Girl:
Quotethink apple is successful not because it's the best, but because they understand the mass market best.

If this is so why such a low market share should it not be the inverse of MS & PC's? Sounds kinda like Keynesian economics to me.

Quote(oh no! a comma splice! I'm out of here).

Now that is comedy (inside joke). ooops

All you guys are amazing to take a serious topic and make me laugh my ass off about it, thanks it's been a very bad week but you guys def made me laugh and forget for a while.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Centurion73 on May 10, 2009, 02:46:40 PM
All you guys are amazing to take a serious topic and make me laugh my ass off about it, thanks it's been a very bad week but you guys def made me laugh and forget for a while.
heh glad to have done that.

now...
i again ask my initial question.  anybody here interested in the palm pre?  or has the market (perhaps yourselves included) now decided to abandon palm?

EvB

Quoteanybody here interested in the palm pre?

It's not a platform or manufacturer thing for me.  I have too damned many gadgets.  So, no, it's not for me.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 10, 2009, 04:58:44 PM
anybody here interested in the palm pre?  or has the market (perhaps yourselves included) now decided to abandon palm?
not if I had a billion dollars.

Frys Girl

What I will complain about with Apple is this: their treatment of people who jailbreak their iphones. I read in the NYTimes about the developers who have "gone rogue" and made a few million selling their own stuff. Apple is stupid to think that they can charge these people with copyright infringement. They even try to ruin the phones when they create iphone updates. I am really tempted to jailbreak my phone because I want to use the videocamera app. Plus I can keep all my old apps, but I won't be able to get the updates (I THINK).

MV/Liberace!

additionally, apple says users who jailbreak their phones are in violation of the DMCA (digital millennium copyright act).

i hate it how those who leave the PC world frequently seem to believe they've escaped "the man."  bleh.  not even microsoft would operate with such an iron fist.

MV/Liberace!

by the way, fg... you will be able to update your phone if you jailbreak it.

AFTER the jailbreak, just go into itunes and tell it to restore your iphone back to factory spec.  it will do so.  you can from that point upgrade to the newest firmware.  you can at that point jailbreak THAT firmware.  muahahaha.

Frys Girl

Thanks MV. I never thought I was leaving the man. Ever. I actually read that the jailbreakers make software to respond to these Apple boneheads who try to render your jailbroken phone useless. Muhahahaha, indeed!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 14, 2009, 04:11:57 PM
I never thought I was leaving the man.
maybe not you specifically.  wasn't my intention to suggest that. 

when listening to apple people speak on the subject of departing the PC world, the conversation frequently seems to take on that tone.  they regularly even have the audacity to spell micro$oft with the dollar sign.  it's excusable for a linux user to do that... but an apple user???  haha

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 14, 2009, 06:23:07 PM
they regularly even have the audacity to spell micro$oft with the dollar sign.  it's excusable for a linux user to do that... but an apple user???  haha

Frys Girl

Look guys. You're throwing around so many stereotypes! I've never heard this macuser ID about "leaving the man". Mostly mac users are simple computer users who are sick of problems that PCs have. However, most expert PC users enjoy the riddles and trouble shooting that PC life brings. I got tired of it; that's all. I'm very superficial when it comes to my computer needs. MS Word, Google docs, itunes, camera, and chat. I haven't had the crashing I've had with MS.

And let me tell you my final beef with MS. What the hell is it with those "MS UPDATE" every god damn day? Every day UPDATE. Everyday reboot. Everyday freeze. That's AFTER you do a troubleshoot. Mac has security updates once a month. I still get annoyed and do it, but I still remember those updates every time mac os asks to do one.

I also hate explorer. Why has it taken so long to make a good browser? A simple one? I never used IE when I had my com(crap)paq laptop. "auto fill" and "this is not a secure site" was tiresome.

All these computer CEOs and founders have sold out. The only computer geek who was the real deal and still is in my eyes is the real founder of the Internet, who could have made a fortune on it considering what's happened. No I'm not talking about sexy al gore.