• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Who is STEVE?!

Started by EvB, May 07, 2009, 07:46:59 PM

EvB

I'm listening to Somewhere in Time: Replay from 12/5/95-- Open Lines

Someone wrote in and mentioned a "Secret Steve Phenomenon"  He said  that he noticed Art had a strange tone in his voice whenever he was talking to someone named Steve, then asked if Art thought he'd ever be able to speak normally to anyone named Steve again.  (I'm writing this form memory - so I may not get it word-perfect.) The writer also said he had a lot of friends named Steve. 

Art's reply was that his (Art's) Mother used to quote that old saw "birds of a feather" and so on.  And told the writer that if HE wanted to hang out with Steves - that was up to him - but maybe he better think about it. 

Now, I know Art has a weird sense of humor sometimes - but this didn't' seem like a joke.  WTF?

1995 - hmmm . . .  Could "Steve" have been Art Jr.'s teacher that there was such a mess over? 

This was an odd little soundbite.

===

Edit to add, From Wikipedia:

A later report announced that the reason that Bell had withdrawn from his station was a family trauma several years before, that his teen-age son had been sexually molested by an HIV-infected substitute teacher. There was an arrest and a trial of the rapist, Brian Lepley, was sentenced in May 1998 to life in prison. When Bell's son turned 18, his name was released and the story became public. The boy tests HIV-negative but psychologically, Bell said, "it slammed him into the ground."