• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ask Liberace! Anything

Started by Lilith, October 11, 2018, 08:10:37 AM

paladin1991

Quote from: WOTR on November 22, 2019, 10:38:20 PM
It seems to me that as long as you know when to yell "Alluah Akbar!" and push the detonation button, there should not be much else needed for communication. That should communicate everything necessary in one simple, easy to understand phrase.
Is that a euphemism for what I think you mean?

WOTR

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 23, 2019, 07:06:20 AM
Is that a euphemism for what I think you mean?

Now that you mention it... There is something that I have never tried. You have to admit- it would be somewhat amusing (and confusing to your partner.)

VC

Can you or anyone else suggest a better audio editing program than Audacity that is low cost or free for a PC running Windows? Or, what would be the next step up? Would like to be able to layer background music or sound(s) with voice over-the-top in the foreground and fade-in-out too. Maybe a PC sound card for Windows 7, 8, or 10+ w/software is even better?

Also, what about mics?

No, I'm not planning a podcast but might post more audio here as commentary occasionally. Even conversationally too, as I wouldn't mind recording sometimes with another person(s) too. It might become a hobby.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: VC on December 09, 2019, 05:13:21 AM
Can you or anyone else suggest a better audio editing program than Audacity that is low cost or free for a PC running Windows? Or, what would be the next step up? Would like to be able to layer background music or sound(s) with voice over-the-top in the foreground and fade-in-out too. Maybe a PC sound card for Windows 7, 8, or 10+ w/software is even better?

Also, what about mics?

No, I'm not planning a podcast but might post more audio here as commentary occasionally. Even conversationally too, as I wouldn't mind recording sometimes with another person(s) too. It might become a hobby.

Believe it or not, I do all of my audio work in SawPlus32 which came out in 1995. I even used it when I was engineering on a Saga record (They had some hits in the 80s. Still big in Germany and, of all places, Puerto Rico).

I can set you up with that if you're interested, but I won't be shocked if you aren't. The reason I use it STILL is because there's nothing I can't do with it and I have 22 years of experience with Saw.

Juan

Like me using Cool Edit since 1995. Unfortunately now Adobieized as Audition.
You might look at Sound Forge Audio Studio from Sony. It’s about $60 from Amazon, but may be cheaper by direct download from Sony. It’s been around since the 90s, too, so it’s a well developed product.

Corona Kitty

Can you or anyone else suggest a better audio editing program than Audacity that is low cost or free for a PC running Windows? Or, what would be the next step up? I would like to be able to layer background music or sound(s) with voice over-the-top in the foreground and fade-in-out too. Maybe a PC sound card for Windows 7, 8, or 10+ w/software is even better?

Also, what about mics?

Adobe audition while not free, there are ways.

Ocenaudio - free

Depending on your budget & if you want to use a USB mic or XLR connected microphone.. I cannot help.

Audacity is perfectly capable of doing all those things and more. Plus it's free. Good luck with your new hobby/podcast

Jackstar

Can you or anyone else suggest a better audio editing program than Audacity that is low cost or free for a PC running Windows?

I'm still a big fan of GoldWave. Seems like it is worth every penny.

Corona Kitty

I was told that I have heard VC's voice. Overall for your voice VC, a RE-20 would sound pretty good if you own a mixer.

If you're going to use a USB powered mic.. Try the Audio Technica AT2020USBi.

You're set to go with these two microphones.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Jackstar on December 10, 2019, 02:43:39 PM
I'm still a big fan of GoldWave. Seems like it is worth every penny.

I use that for one important aspect, the stereo feature.

VC

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is very helpful.

Has anyone tried more than one of these to compare for ease of use? Just curious if there's any advantage to use one program for simpler purposes and another for more specialized reasons? Or, is there a reason(s) to learn the basics on one easier program in order to advance to a more sophisticated one later on? What would those choices be?

Best power user version would be?

Best ease of use would be?

Quote from: username on December 10, 2019, 04:24:59 PM
I was told that I have heard VC's voice. Overall for your voice VC, a RE-20 would sound pretty good if you own a mixer.

If you're going to use a USB powered mic.. Try the Audio Technica AT2020USBi.

You're set to go with these two microphones.

AND, thanks for any microphone suggestions too! Anyone besides username have any other Mic ideas to suggest too?

This is my voice recorded on an old Amazon tablet, but I did use Audacity to speed-up its pacing or playback to shorten its time length, here:

CommentaryOfHeatherWadeLyingAboutArtBellSuicide.mp3 - downloaded 319 times)

Sincerely, thanks again, all of you, for your help and suggestions.

Juan

Depending on what kind of audio input device you have, you could go with the old standby, the Shure SM58. It’s less than $100.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Juan on December 12, 2019, 09:08:01 AM
Depending on what kind of audio input device you have, you could go with the old standby, the Shure SM58. It’s less than $100.

Great stage mic but a poor choice for podcasting...unless your sure your mouth is going to be pointed right at it and up close. Otherwise you’ll fade in and outlike Daniel. ;)

VC

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 12, 2019, 10:59:06 AM
Great stage mic but a poor choice for podcasting...unless your sure your mouth is going to be pointed right at it and up close. Otherwise you’ll fade in and outlike Daniel. ;)

What would you suggest for Mic and/or software? Best values for low to mid price range. Thanks!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: VC on December 12, 2019, 05:36:42 PM
What would you suggest for Mic and/or software? Best values for low to mid price range. Thanks!

For lower budget I’ve seen people podcasting with Blue Snowball mics and thought they sounded good. Some have said their Yeti mic is good too. I think they go for about $70-90. In terms of software I’m not sure these days. I was trained on ProTools years ago and I also really like Apple’s Garageband but I was using them for music production not broadcast. Lee or Muddy would probably know better about that.

Can you reupload the EVP you talked about a couple Gabcasts ago?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on December 17, 2019, 07:40:20 PM
Can you reupload the EVP you talked about a couple Gabcasts ago?

Here you go.

[attachment=1]

Dr. MD MD

Lee, why did you get rid of the search function again?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 17, 2019, 10:42:16 PM
Lee, why did you get rid of the search function again?

Sorry, that was an accident. I'll fix it.

Triggered

Hi Michael, what DAW do you use for recording your tracks? Praise MV

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Triggered on December 20, 2019, 07:32:07 PM
Hi Michael, what DAW do you use for recording your tracks? Praise MV

I use SawPlus32.

Kidnostad3

Kudos on your recent improvements to BG.  More to come?   

whoozit

Is this supposed to look like this?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on December 21, 2019, 09:05:30 AM
Kudos on your recent improvements to BG.  More to come?

Thanks. And I don't anticipate any additional changes (for now.)

ItsOver

Quote from: starrmtn001 on December 20, 2019, 10:40:46 PM
Thank you, MV. ;)
I'm sure Lee will pass that on to MV because that's just the kind of guy he is.