• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on May 06, 2018, 04:14:24 AM
How delightful.
For those with clinical depression, bipolar, using sea salt for table salt in place of prescription lithium is an option that doesn't hurt to try, with none of the dangerous side effects of Prozac-type drugs.  Many antidepressants kill romance (depending on what time you take them) and add weight gain.  Sea salt doesn't.

Jojo

My commitment to nutrition showed today.  My pet had a good day too!  It was unusually quiet, as the primary noise maker is away, after finally getting what he deserved.  It's one thing for him to bully women and pets, but another to mess with a young, male house guest!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: monica on May 07, 2018, 05:52:30 AM
My commitment to nutrition showed today.  My pet had a good day too!  It was unusually quiet, as the primary noise maker is away, after finally getting what he deserved.  It's one thing for him to bully women and pets, but another to mess with a young, male house guest!

Sounds dramatic. Do tell!  :D

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2018, 07:27:32 AM
Sounds dramatic. Do tell!  :D
Evidently the bully/MARTYR insulted the wrong people.  Ordinarily, I dislike violence.  But, in this case it was fitting that he got slugged (by his landlady's supervisor's husband, no less...).  Paramedics took him to ER for stitches (slugger probably had a ring on, no weapons were used).  He was probably treated for the effect of alcohol on his diabetes too.

The house has never been quieter than during the last two days and nights.  I slept much deeper.  I hear him now, so he must be back.  Rumor was he was told to find another residence, but just a rumor at this point. I doubt they'll let him go.  He martyrs himself horribly making extra work and chores for himself, I guess to compensate for his manias.

I really think it's important for parents to enforce social skills in their children, and for people with residual dysfunctions or conditions to get behavioral help and iron out their problems in their twenties.  It is really not cool to still be being belligerent and stupid in your late life stages.  If an adult knows they have shortcomings they should improve themselves (through social workers, psychologists, self-help, support groups, etc...) because no one else is going to do it for them.  And parents should get help for children of course, but at some point you become your own parent.

Jojo

Melba everything today.  Please send good thoughts during my time of sadness...

ShayP

Quote from: monica on May 07, 2018, 03:07:19 PM
Evidently the bully/MARTYR insulted the wrong people.  Ordinarily, I dislike violence.  But, in this case it was fitting that he got slugged (by his landlady's supervisor's husband, no less...).  Paramedics took him to ER for stitches (slugger probably had a ring on, no weapons were used).  He was probably treated for the effect of alcohol on his diabetes too.

The house has never been quieter than during the last two days and nights.  I slept much deeper.  I hear him now, so he must be back.  Rumor was he was told to find another residence, but just a rumor at this point. I doubt they'll let him go.  He martyrs himself horribly making extra work and chores for himself, I guess to compensate for his manias.

I really think it's important for parents to enforce social skills in their children, and for people with residual dysfunctions or conditions to get behavioral help and iron out their problems in their twenties.  It is really not cool to still be being belligerent and stupid in your late life stages.  If an adult knows they have shortcomings they should improve themselves (through social workers, psychologists, self-help, support groups, etc...) because no one else is going to do it for them.  And parents should get help for children of course, but at some point you become your own parent.

Some people need to get their asses whooped. I still have a list. (I kid)  Anyway, It's good you have some peace.  I agree with your points toward the end of the post. 

ShayP

Quote from: monica on May 07, 2018, 03:09:51 PM
Melba everything today.  Please send good thoughts during my time of sadness...

Peach Melba?  Melba toast?  I'm sending ya good thoughts.  ;)  BTW...why are you sad?  The bully got shut down.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on May 07, 2018, 03:36:47 PM
Peach Melba?  Melba toast?  I'm sending ya good thoughts.  ;)  BTW...why are you sad?  The bully got shut down.

Yeah, what's with the cryptic post, monica?

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on May 07, 2018, 03:36:06 PM
Some people need to get their asses whooped. I still have a list. (I kid)  Anyway, It's good you have some peace.  I agree with your points toward the end of the post.
Maybe if more kids would fight and get it out of their system and bullies got beat down they wouldn't years later go crazy do to holding all the resentment in snap and bring a gun to school and shoot everybody they can? I don't know. I know we used to meet at a certain place after school and settle scores with our fists. Nobody really got hurt. And sometimes teachers would find out due to the rumor mills and stop it before it happened. There was no school shootings or weapons used etc. And often the pugilists would end up later being friends and even joke about the fight.

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on May 07, 2018, 03:41:46 PM
Maybe if more kids would fight and get it out of their system and bullies got beat down they wouldn't years later go crazy do to holding all the resentment in snap and bring a gun to school and shoot everybody they can? I don't know. I know we used to meet at a certain place after school and settle scores with our fists. Nobody really got hurt. And sometimes teachers would find out due to the rumor mills and stop it before it happened. There was no school shootings or weapons used etc. And often the pugilists would end up later being friends and even joke about the fight.

Ha!  Very similar to my experiences.  Sometimes you'd have to take it for a while but once you stood up for yourself, typically you were left alone except maybe for some verbal insults later that never went on long.  Most of the time after the 'stand down' or fight (win or lose) we would just ignore each other.  If I saw him walking down the street, I'd just cross to the other side and be on my way.  Like you said, sometimes friends were made.  There was kid that used to bully me until I wouldn't take it any more.  He put a little hurtin' on me and I pretty much lost and was embarrassed, but that was that.  It took a short amount of time but we broke the ice when we both ended up on the baseball team.  We were buddies for many years after.  Plus, there were a few that would stand up for people.  Instead of now where they stand there taking video on their phone or just talking about in on social media.  And yes...no shooting or guns ever.  This was in the 70's and 80's.  I think we may be in the same age group.

ShayP

I am creating a salad for you monica.  Not sure if you like or can eat the ingredients, but nonetheless...

Shredded kale, toasted almonds, roasted red peppers, quinoa, garbanzo beans, tahini, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

huh?...HUH!?  :D

Jojo

Quote from: ShayP on May 07, 2018, 03:36:47 PM
Thanks for the positive thoughts.  Maybe that's why I exercised!

Melba times are tongue-in-cheek sad times!  For me, it means no added oil, no butter, no sweeteners, no caloric sauces, no cheeses or cream cheese, etc...  Just plain food (or with fruit if desperate).  For instance, today's oatmeal had no butter or brown sugar.  I'll be glad tomorrow, when I feel a little lighter.  It would be healthy of me to lose some weight.  I would like to get off blood pressure pills.

On melba days, food is simple and a little dry or unsweetened.  The only exceptions are morning coffee creamer/sweetener and traditional soy chou (a type of low-cal, low-fat traditional, real cheese).  However, soy chou is expensive so overeating it has not happened.  Melba days really help with weight loss.

And, the bully/martyr is back, slaving away obsessively and compulsively, avoiding his own self.  I guess we all do that a little.

FallenSeraph

OH LORDY! I just stuck my head in here to see what was going on and I'M A STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND.

I used to have a super-fast metabolism until I hit 40 a few years ago and now the struggle is REAL. But I recently lost 12 pounds in a few months by cutting out WINE and just drinking water and 100% pure grapefruit juice (it was so SAD!) and switching from Hot Pockets to Lean Pockets. (And walking 2 miles a day.)

I really doubt that diet plan will be approved by the Surgeon General any time soon. 😉

OK, so um, I'm gonna go now! 😄 (Monica, I'm sorry you're having a sad day. I hope tomorrow is much better.)

ksm32

Quote from: ShayP on May 07, 2018, 05:53:04 PM
I am creating a salad for you monica.  Not sure if you like or can eat the ingredients, but nonetheless...

Shredded kale, toasted almonds, roasted red peppers, quinoa, garbanzo beans, tahini, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

That sounds and reads delicious. Sold! I'll have that with my rack 'o ribs tomorrow :)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: monica on May 07, 2018, 06:27:57 PM
Thanks for the positive thoughts.  Maybe that's why I exercised!

Melba times are tongue-in-cheek sad times!  For me, it means no added oil, no butter, no sweeteners, no caloric sauces, no cheeses or cream cheese, etc...  Just plain food (or with fruit if desperate).  For instance, today's oatmeal had no butter or brown sugar.  I'll be glad tomorrow, when I feel a little lighter.  It would be healthy of me to lose some weight.  I would like to get off blood pressure pills.

On melba days, food is simple and a little dry or unsweetened.  The only exceptions are morning coffee creamer/sweetener and traditional soy chou (a type of low-cal, low-fat traditional, real cheese).  However, soy chou is expensive so overeating it has not happened.  Melba days really help with weight loss.

And, the bully/martyr is back, slaving away obsessively and compulsively, avoiding his own self.  I guess we all do that a little.

I've never encountered someone so insanely fixated on food as you...other than anorexics...but I have a feeling that's not you. Anyway, I hope there are times you're able to eat whatever the hell you want without feeling bad about it.  ;)

Jojo

Quote from: ShayP on May 07, 2018, 05:53:04 PM
huh?...HUH!?  :D
I'm late. I had to go get my blood pressure pills (because I haven't lost enough weight yet).
Hope you kept the salad covered!  It sounds perfect!  I will cheat with the oil and avocado today!

Quote from: FallenSeraph on May 07, 2018, 08:22:25 PM
OH LORDY! I just stuck my head in here to see what was going on and I'M A STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND.

I used to have a super-fast metabolism until I hit 40 a few years ago and now the struggle is REAL. But I recently lost 12 pounds in a few months by cutting out WINE and just drinking water and 100% pure grapefruit juice (it was so SAD!) and switching from Hot Pockets to Lean Pockets. (And walking 2 miles a day.)
I really doubt that diet plan will be approved by the Surgeon General any time soon. 😉
OK, so um, I'm gonna go now! 😄 (Monica, I'm sorry you're having a sad day. I hope tomorrow is much better.)
Congratulations on the 12lbs.  I too lost 12lbs about a year ago, and now I've got to keep going down.  I work in healthcare and I know my future quality of life depends on it.  The overweight elders call 911 more, and have more difficulties.  The melba sadness was tongue-in-cheek though, lol.  Welcome to the strange land.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2018, 10:34:31 PM
I've never encountered someone so insanely fixated on food as you...other than anorexics...but I have a feeling that's not you. Anyway, I hope there are times you're able to eat whatever the hell you want without feeling bad about it.

I ate whatever I wanted (or could afford) every day for many years!  Then I quit drinking and gained 25 more pounds!  It is perfectly appropriate for me to want to buck up now.

MD, seriously, I am truly dependent on blood pressure medicine.  Additionally, the hypertension was spreading to my lungs, which was extra bad.  Pulmonary hypertension is not anywhere you want to go.  As soon as I started the pills, I felt a lot better.  It reduced my asthma, too.  I can tell when it is time for a dose or a dose is missed.  High blood pressure is not really a silent killer/(strokes, heart attack).  It just speaks quietly, through low-grade nagging head and neck tension, slightly tight breathing, constantly broken capillairies, even sexual dysfunction, and in my case, sinus issues.

Do you know what it's like to be only around 50, and yet know your life depends on Medicaid, pharmacies, transportation or deliveries, manufacturers and a couple flipping pills a day?!  No way.  I'm not living that way.  It is unnecessary dependency.  For instance:
-What if there is a disaster and I can't get pills?
-What if the pills get too hot (ruined) in summer?
-What if there is a recall, and pills are delayed?
-What if the pills are lost or stolen?

But if I do my part and lose weight, I won't be dependent on that.  This is something I can improve.  It's not like other diseases where the person is powerless and has to rely on oxygen, inhaler, insulin, or other vital medicine.  Hypertension is within my control, if I can control my weight.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: monica on May 07, 2018, 11:38:11 PM
I'm late. I had to go get my blood pressure pills (because I haven't lost enough weight yet).
Hope you kept the salad covered!  It sounds perfect!  I will cheat with the oil and avocado today!
Congratulations on the 12lbs.  I too lost 12lbs about a year ago, and now I've got to keep going down.  I work in healthcare and I know my future quality of life depends on it.  The overweight elders call 911 more, and have more difficulties.  The melba sadness was tongue-in-cheek though, lol.  Welcome to the strange land.

I ate whatever I wanted (or could afford) every day for many years!  Then I quit drinking and gained 25 more pounds!  It is perfectly appropriate for me to want to buck up now.

MD, seriously, I am truly dependent on blood pressure medicine.  Additionally, the hypertension was spreading to my lungs, which was extra bad.  Pulmonary hypertension is not anywhere you want to go.  As soon as I started the pills, I felt a lot better.  It reduced my asthma, too.  I can tell when it is time for a dose or a dose is missed.  High blood pressure is not really a silent killer/(strokes, heart attack).  It just speaks quietly, through low-grade nagging head and neck tension, slightly tight breathing, constantly broken capillairies, even sexual dysfunction, and in my case, sinus issues.

Do you know what it's like to be only around 50, and yet know your life depends on Medicaid, pharmacies, transportation or deliveries, manufacturers and a couple flipping pills a day?!  No way.  I'm not living that way.  It is unnecessary dependency.  For instance:
-What if there is a disaster and I can't get pills?
-What if the pills get too hot (ruined) in summer?
-What if there is a recall, and pills are delayed?
-What if the pills are lost or stolen?

But if I do my part and lose weight, I won't be dependent on that.  This is something I can improve.  It's not like other diseases where the person is powerless and has to rely on oxygen, inhaler, insulin, or other vital medicine.  Hypertension is within my control, if I can control my weight.

Yeah, alright.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on May 08, 2018, 02:24:35 PM

If I were Einstein I stop screwing my cousin or whatever other ex-wives in the parallel galaxy, heaven, or whatever and get through a worm-hole and destroy that statue and punch the 'artist' who made it in the face. And then go after new-agers talking quantum after a visit to a Spokane gunshow.

Jojo

High fat start to the day, with bacon and bacon-wrapped meat.  Kind of fun, but now... penance.

For once, my cat didn't mooch.  She was already full!  But I wish I had saved her some.  I forgot, darn it.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on May 08, 2018, 10:57:51 PM
If I were Einstein I stop screwing my cousin or whatever other ex-wives in the parallel galaxy, heaven, or whatever and get through a worm-hole and destroy that statue and punch the 'artist' who made it in the face. And then go after new-agers talking quantum after a visit to a Spokane gunshow.

I love it! Einstein, quantum superhero, punching bad guys in the face and making the universe right again! Develop a 13 episode launch and have your people call my people. We'll do lunch. 8)

ksm32

Quote from: monica on May 09, 2018, 12:36:34 PM
High fat start to the day, with bacon and bacon-wrapped meat.

..but l00k on the bright side, that's also a high protein start to the day :) Bacon wrapped meat! :) :D :)

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on May 09, 2018, 09:34:11 PM
..but l00k on the bright side, that's also a high protein start to the day :) Bacon wrapped meat! :) :D :)
Yeah, I was able to compensate the rest of the day.  It was a high fat day, though.

Jojo

Had to discard part of some candy today.  Someone said throwing it away is unethical, so i left the half package on the lawn at a fast food restaurant, where there are a lot of low income passers by.  I just knew i shouldnt eat the whole package (for the sake of losing weight to get my blood pressure under control).

I knew if I put it in the trunk it would melt into a mess.  I think i already have a little bit of chocolate left in the trunk, but i don't see it at hand and it may be causing a melted mess.

I thought about putting the remainder in the backseat, to bring home to these obese people, but i knew that i would end up eating it as soon as my hands were on it again.  So, i discarded it.

I guess that's ok.  It prevented me from eating 220 junk calories.  Today was a good diet day.  I will feel leaner tomorrow for sure.

Jackstar

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on February 10, 2018, 02:35:17 PM
Jackstar is right about refined sugars.

What do I gotta do? Interpretive dance? A Trainspotting viewathon? The Ludovico Technique? What's it gonna take, Snowflake?

Quote from: monica on May 13, 2018, 03:02:51 AM
I just knew i shouldnt eat the whole package

Figure it out.