Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hog

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 05, 2021, 09:38:48 AM
The Sea Hawk is another very pretty airplane, in person it comes across as relatively small and eloquent.  They flew combat for both the Brits and the Indians with good success.  The RN's FAA Museum has, or at least had, an airworthy Sea Hawk, but I haven't seen it mentioned as having been flown for several years.
My buddy's uncle owns/flies  a "Hunter Hawker T-7".


He also owns/flies a BAC Jet Provost T4,(pic attached)

The same museum owns a McDonnell CF-101 Voodoo
Here's the link to the collection.
http://jetaircraftmuseum.ca./collection.html

And just a nice pic of an EF-101 "Electric Voodoo", circa 1987.  1 of 2 built


peace
Hog

Hog

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 10, 2021, 07:23:19 PM
Yes.  I didn't work the investigation, but a colleague did.  I also read the mishap report. The failure of what was essentially an explosive bolt did not allow the module to reposition prior to impact.  Instead of landing on the impact attenuation bags, it landed nose down.  Doug Benefield died when his seat tore loose on impact and he went into the instrument panel.

I knew Waniczek, he worked for Northrop when I was assigned to the Special Projects Office.  I worked for Dick Reynolds when he was a three star at WPAFB.  He was a class act. He held a commander's call a few days after 9/11 that was the most inspiring thing I've ever heard.  Good guy, easy to talk to, cared about his people.
Thanks man, it must have been quite a time to be involved.  I bet you've got stories that could fill a book.

peace
Hog

albrecht

Quote from: Hog on February 16, 2021, 04:20:00 PM
Thanks man, it must have been quite a time to be involved.  I bet you've got stories that could fill a book.

peace
Hog
He should write the book. Especially as folks are in lock-downs due to Corona-Chan or winter storms. Perfect time to write a book! Some here have, though they tend to big in other subjects. I look forward to Uncle Duke's book.

Noticed something while watching Dr. Strangelove.  The nuclear bombs are loaded into the B-52 backwards - with the tail of the bomb in the bomb bay pointing towards the front of the aircraft. We see Slim Pickens leaves the cockpit to see what he can do with the inoperative bomb bay doors. He drops down thru a hatch into the bay and we can see the fins of the bomb by his legs as he drops down. So either the B-52 drops nukes in a manner to make them flip like an He-111 or Kubrick is trying to pull a fast one, just to show off the "Nuclear warhead. Handle with care" label and the little love messages written by the armorers on the weapons. 


Taaroa

Last ever Learjet will be built this year, Bombardier says
QuoteLearjet, the sleek private jet used by celebrities for decades, is ending production this year, following a slump in demand due to competition from newer and less-expensive rivals. Long before COVID-19 hit demand in 2020, the arrival of less-expensive similar-sized models from Embraer SA and Textron Inc’s Cessna eroded Learjet demand.

Bombardier said it would continue to support and maintain existing Learjets, and would offer upgrades to avionics and interiors at the Learjet factory in Wichita in the US after the production line closes.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bombardier-learjet-idUSKBN2AF1OV
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/11/last-ever-learjet-will-be-built-this-year-bombardier-says



Hog

London airshow this weekend.  Thunderbirds are here.   Last year I was overflown by a pair of B-1B bombers.  Wings partially swept back just cruising along.   And loud gee-whiz.

peace
Hog

albrecht

Quote from: Hog on September 08, 2022, 05:55:26 PMLondon airshow this weekend.  Thunderbirds are here.   Last year I was overflown by a pair of B-1B bombers.  Wings partially swept back just cruising along.   And loud gee-whiz.

peace
Hog
Was in London once in they had very cool flyovers of vintage planes. Memory vague but I think Remembrance Day cause they dropped poppies. And another during some anniversary or something. I forget. B-52, I think B-52H, will do flyover before our game against Alabama on Saturday.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2022, 07:18:28 PMWas in London once in they had very cool flyovers of vintage planes. Memory vague but I think Remembrance Day cause they dropped poppies. And another during some anniversary or something. I forget. B-52, I think B-52H, will do flyover before our game against Alabama on Saturday.


Long since retired but Vulcans used to be a quite a loud (Well, REALLY loud) display event at airshows.

Fun fact; when scrambling from hot (all pre flights done, engines turning) B52's hit the runway threshold from the stand at 60mph.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2022, 07:22:59 PMLong since retired but Vulcans used to be a quite a loud (Well, REALLY loud) display event at airshows.

Fun fact; when scrambling from hot (all pre flights done, engines turning) B52's hit the runway threshold from the stand at 60mph.

I question the fun value of that fact.  ???

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 08, 2022, 07:26:08 PMI question the fun value of that fact.  ???

I suppose it depends if you like aircraft. I've had LOTS of fun with flying machines.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2022, 07:22:59 PMLong since retired but Vulcans used to be a quite a loud (Well, REALLY loud) display event at airshows.

Fun fact; when scrambling from hot (all pre flights done, engines turning) B52's hit the runway threshold from the stand at 60mph.

You would know more than I about it but the old planes were neat to see. And suprisingly slow (from a modern perspective) though, I imagine they weren't flying full-out since the whole idea was a show display. But maybe so. But neat to see them over the river and city. I think one display was for the Jubilee. But one was for Remembrance Sunday I'm sure because I went to the Cenotaph parade and wreath laying and was neat to see Gurkhas and other loyal troops there from elsewhere.
Once we had a flyover of a Stealth, I think F-117 and it must have been almost stalling out to go over game area because slow and quiet on approach. And then 'holy shit!' I'm convinced a lot of the triangle UFO sightings back in the day were this kind of craft. It was awesome and spooky. It almost crept up and then gone. But had to have really put into a glide mode or something.

ps: I think it was a Lord's Mayor parade or something and they broke out old tanks and driving down the streets (who knows what that cost to repair.) Awesome! But, again, scary when you heard the diesels and crunching and imagine if you were against a tank!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2022, 07:34:33 PMI suppose it depends if you like aircraft. I've had LOTS of fun with flying machines.

I like aircraft. I just didn't find that fact all that fun.  :-\

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 08, 2022, 07:48:13 PMI like aircraft. I just didn't find that fact all that fun.  :-\

Wow, tough crowd...The B1 has a proper toilet...not even a smirk?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2022, 07:53:02 PMWow, tough crowd...The B1 has a proper toilet...not even a smirk?

I suppose that's a bit more fun...meh. :-\

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2022, 07:34:33 PMI suppose it depends if you like aircraft. I've had LOTS of fun with flying machines.
At a wedding a couple years ago and brides dad had some kinda record glider flight. Says amazing. No noises and float around. In your area (ha in America we can say this) but around San Diego. Met a German once on a normal plane who had restored some vintage gliders and also was enthused with them. (He probably was figuring next war plans.)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2022, 08:18:29 PMAt a wedding a couple years ago and brides dad had some kinda record glider flight. Says amazing. No noises and float around. In your area (ha in America we can say this) but around San Diego. Met a German once on a normal plane who had restored some vintage gliders and also was enthused with them. (He probably was figuring next war plans.)


Here's a little 13 plus foot wingspan vintage 1/4 scale glider..Minimoa. Due to the Versailles treaty, Germany wasn't allowed (officially at least) to make powered aircraft, so they got very good at gliders, and still are.

I started it in 2011,,finished it 18 months ago. Minus the canopy. 9jadx5O4.jpegH_WmkDOk.jpeg 

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2022, 08:45:57 PMHere's a little 13 plus foot wingspan vintage 1/4 scale glider..Minimoa. Due to the Versailles treaty, Germany wasn't allowed (officially at least) to make powered aircraft, so they got very good at gliders, and still are.

I started it in 2011,,finished it 18 months ago. Minus the canopy. 9jadx5O4.jpegH_WmkDOk.jpeg 
Nice work! Ha. Bellgab. I think we had these discussions before! With regard though, the Krauts still would've needed a way to get gliders up?

ps: you Brits n hobbies. Do I see a shed also? 😄

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2022, 08:52:49 PMNice work! Ha. Bellgab. I think we had these discussions before! With regard though, the Krauts still would've needed a way to get gliders up?

ps: you Brits n hobbies. Do I see a shed also? 😄

Launched from hillsides. Slope lift.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2022, 08:56:28 PMLaunched from hillsides. Slope lift.
Impressive feats then. The guy I was talking to at wedding dinner gets taken up n released. Cheater.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2022, 08:52:49 PMNice work! Ha. Bellgab. I think we had these discussions before! With regard though, the Krauts still would've needed a way to get gliders up?

ps: you Brits n hobbies. Do I see a shed also? 😄


albrecht

Well, fuck I hate losing especially by a point. I guess some loyal bettors won since spread wasn't covered. But the flyovers were pretty cool. Wasn't at game but they flew, and low, over the neighborhood, on the way back to Lackland. Pretty neat and loud. B-52Hs I think. Impressive!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/xasgaj/b52_flying_over_wildflower_center/

Some new resident was out jogging and said what the heck is going on. I explained the flyover concept due to the game.

albrecht

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2022, 02:11:22 PMWell, fuck I hate losing especially by a point. I guess some loyal bettors won since spread wasn't covered. But the flyovers were pretty cool. Wasn't at game but they flew, and low, over the neighborhood, on the way back to Lackland. Pretty neat and loud. B-52Hs I think. Impressive!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/xasgaj/b52_flying_over_wildflower_center/

Some new resident was out jogging and said what the heck is going on. I explained the flyover concept due to the game.

I like B-52s are based out of Barksdale so weird but maybe just a flyaround town after the pre-game flyby before going home. But I couldn't get tail numbers so, heck they could be going to back to North Dakota but that would be even weirder flight path. It was awesome though!

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod