Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quote from: albrecht on August 03, 2017, 11:50:50 AM
Count me as being a bit suspect of buying a used plane, and a Russian one at that, for use by our government officials. But we outsource and/or buy a lot of our electronics, data-mining, and software to China, Amazon, Google, and Israel so, I guess, it is ok.

They aren't Russian planes and they haven't been used at all.  They have been sitting in the Mojave gathering mothballs.

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 03, 2017, 11:54:23 AM
Those planes are in storage at Boeing. I don't think the Russian airline ever took delivery.

Right!

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 03, 2017, 11:54:23 AM
Those planes are in storage at Boeing. I don't think the Russian airline ever took delivery.
Ok, better. But aren't much of Boeing planes and parts (at least the Dreamliner) partially made in places like China? I'm all for free trade and even out-sourcing but not for certain mission-critical and strategic things.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on August 03, 2017, 01:24:17 PM
Ok, better. But aren't much of Boeing planes and parts (at least the Dreamliner) partially made in places like China? I'm all for free trade and even out-sourcing but not for certain mission-critical and strategic things.

I don't know about small piece parts like computer chips and such, but I think Japan is their biggest supplier for actual fuselage parts due to the tech required to build large scale composites.

ZaZa

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 03, 2017, 11:46:43 AM
Oh really?  Then why do Russian airlines buy Boeing jets like the two that are soon to be Air Force 1 and Air Force 2.  They were originally made for a Russian airline but the company went bankrupt.

21st"oyster"Man
are you dumb or you pretending to be dumb with your post..?
conversation is about military jets not passenger jets

Quote from: Hog on August 03, 2017, 04:56:01 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the F-35 program.

I'm wondering if the F-18 E/F might be a better candidate for our country.  What about for other countries?
I realize that engine tech has come a long way, but IMO having redundant propulsion is a big negative for some countries.

peace
Hog

Quote from: ZaZa on August 03, 2017, 10:48:57 AM
just buy Russian made jets. They are superior in every way to American junk.


GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on August 03, 2017, 04:05:48 AM
I would've thought a relatively newer plane like the T38 would have better fuel efficiency than something made towards the beginning of the jet age.


I made a mistake. They used Cessna T-37's. Not the T-33.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ZaZa on August 03, 2017, 10:48:57 AM
just buy Russian made jets. They are superior in every way to American junk.

Oh, do explain how and why... Be specific. ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Taaroa on August 04, 2017, 03:41:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

Those were ballsy trials. As far as I recall. the aircraft had to be shunted backwards to the fantail to get maximum take off length. The C130 is a wonderful aeroplane and kept quiet by putting all the noise on the inside.  :)

ZaZa

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2017, 10:17:41 AM
Oh, do explain how and why... Be specific. ;)

York pud, you are the famous RAF pilot, you explained it ........

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ZaZa on August 04, 2017, 10:21:26 AM
York pud, you are the famous RAF pilot, you explained it ........

Nope. I'm not. We've been through this, now stop being silly. Explain to the class why you think Russian aircraft are superior to US aircraft in every way..

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ZaZa on August 04, 2017, 10:21:26 AM
York pud, you are the famous RAF pilot, you explained it ........

He likes to pretend he is at Bellgab though when he's conversing with the other real pilots here.  ;D


Hog

Quote from: albrecht on August 05, 2017, 10:01:15 AM
Another Osprey crash with most rescued but still 3 Marines missing:
http://www.statesman.com/news/marines-missing-after-aircraft-crashes-off-australia/0F2spzMe58Xtr2516q0jZI/

Army to stop using Chinese-made drones:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-army-drones-idUSKBN1AK2C0
I was just discussing the Osprey recently with a friend, he was trying to tell me that the reason why POTUS(President Of The United States) doesn't fly in an Osprey was because it is only used by Special Operations Forces.
I told him that the Secret Service would never clear an Osprey for Marine 1 duty, simply due to its safety record, actual or perceived.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Speaking about jets with wingtip mounted fuel pods, here is a decent video of the F-104 Starfighter, they do have a unique sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6K4iSxET6g

peace
Hog

Hog

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2017, 10:20:49 AM
Those were ballsy trials. As far as I recall. the aircraft had to be shunted backwards to the fantail to get maximum take off length. The C130 is a wonderful aeroplane and kept quiet by putting all the noise on the inside.  :)

"In 1963, a Hercules achieved and still holds the record for the largest and heaviest aircraft to land on an aircraft carrier. During October and November that year, a USMC KC-130F (BuNo 149798), loaned to the U.S. Naval Air Test Center, made 29 touch-and-go landings, 21 unarrested full-stop landings and 21 unassisted take-offs on Forrestal at a number of different weights"

Un arrested carrier landings and 21 unassisted carrier launches, talk about ballsy testing.

The pilot was a Lieutenant at the time(eventually made Rear Admiral) James H Flatley was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his testing of the C-130 on an aircraft carrier.

peace
Hog


Uncle Duke

https://youtu.be/xPyCEkHE0co

In the late 40s the USN actually deployed P2V Neptures, twin engine land-based patrol bombers, on WWII vintage carriers to give the service a rudimentary atomic bomb delivery capability.  Since the Neptunes could not land aboard ship, they had to be lifted on board the carrier by crane.  They had to stay on the deck because they were too large to fit on the ships' elevators to take below to hanger decks.  With a full fuel load and an early A bomb, the launch weight of a Neptune exceeded the capability of the then current catapults, so they had to launch with RATO assist. After getting airborne, their only recourse was to ditch at sea or find a place to land.

Sorry the YouTube clip is in French, but video is worth seeing.

GravitySucks

Classic footage of an A-26. Started in WW II and flew until Vietnam.

I love the shots of the pilot smoking a cigar while in a mission over Vietnam.

http://www.airspacemag.com/videos/category/military-aviation/truck-killerthe-a-26a/

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 06, 2017, 06:08:05 PM
https://youtu.be/xPyCEkHE0co

In the late 40s the USN actually deployed P2V Neptures, twin engine land-based patrol bombers, on WWII vintage carriers to give the service a rudimentary atomic bomb delivery capability.  Since the Neptunes could not land aboard ship, they had to be lifted on board the carrier by crane.  They had to stay on the deck because they were too large to fit on the ships' elevators to take below to hanger decks.  With a full fuel load and an early A bomb, the launch weight of a Neptune exceeded the capability of the then current catapults, so they had to launch with RATO assist. After getting airborne, their only recourse was to ditch at sea or find a place to land.

Sorry the YouTube clip is in French, but video is worth seeing.

I think I remember reading about similar missions using B-25 and B-26 bombers during world war II

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 06, 2017, 06:59:04 PM
I think I remember reading about similar missions using B-25 and B-26 bombers during world war II

They were B-25's launched from the USS Hornet.  I would want no part of trying to fly a B-26 of an aircraft carrier. 
With its stubby wings the B-26 was known as the 'Baltimore Whore'  as the joke went that they had no visible means of support.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 06, 2017, 06:59:04 PM
I think I remember reading about similar missions using B-25 and B-26 bombers during world war II

No B-26s, but Doolittle's Raiders flew sixteen B-25s off USS Hornet in April 1942 to attack Japan.  That was a one time raid flown more for propaganda/morale purposes than actual military value.  The Raiders have had reunions here at the NMUSAF for a number of years, but I believe there is now only one of them still alive.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on August 06, 2017, 07:13:20 PM
They were B-25's launched from the USS Hornet.  I would want no part of trying to fly a B-26 of an aircraft carrier. 
With its stubby wings the B-26 was known as the 'Baltimore Whore'  as the joke went that they had no visible means of support.

The B-25 was selected for the Doolittle Raid almost by exception.  The B-26's take-off run was too long for the carrier, and the B-23 was too large (wingspan).  That left only the B-18 and B-25, and the B-18 was eliminated immediately due to its poor performance and overrall obsolescence.

Taaroa

USAF orders two 747-8s for conversion into Air Force One



The U.S. Air Force announced on Aug. 4 that it had ordered two commercial 747-8 aircraft for future modifications into Air Force One. The program expects to begin aircraft modifications in 2019 and reach initial operational capability in 2024.



Lockheed Martin also announced that the VH-92A Presidential helicopter (i.e. Marine One) had begun flight tests on the 28th July. The aircraft achieved its first flight, and later that same day completed a second flight at Sikorsky Aircraft in Stratford, Connecticut. Total flight time for the two sorties was one hour and included hover control checks, low speed flight, and a pass of the airfield.

albrecht

Quote from: Taaroa on August 06, 2017, 09:56:59 PM
USAF orders two 747-8s for converslllll

Lockheed Martin also announced that the VH-92A Presidential helicopter (i.e. Marine One) had begun flight tests on the 28th July. The aircraft achieved its first flight, and later that same day completed a second flight at Sikorsky Aircraft in Stratford, Connecticut. Total flight time for the two sorties was one hour and included hover control checks, low speed flight, and a pass of the airfield.
Hmmm. Suspicious Russian-sounding name. Not enough gold-leaf and gilding. And shouldn't a Presidential chopper have some more blades? Seriously, looks lame. Need longer, bigger, and more blades spinning. Kids 'fidget spinners' look cooler (and Mr.Fidget should be given royalities by Executive Order. Screw Art and chinese mfg for Mr.Fidget not getting them! )  :D

Taaroa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43OXzp40Y_A

Bit of a dodgy looking approach with those cables, and then there's that taxiway...


Yorkshire pud

The old Kai Tak checkerboard approach had no ILS after the final turn. It was practiced by simulators only.

The cross wind landing is pretty hard, the entire weight going on one main gear truck.  :o

https://youtu.be/lx3Ccs5tKfw

https://youtu.be/OtnL4KYVtDE


Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ZaZa on August 07, 2017, 10:37:13 AM
Yorkshire pud are you one of them ??

Isn't it time for your meth IV? You've not slept in days. ;)

ZaZa

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 07, 2017, 10:38:38 AM
Isn't it time for your meth IV? You've not slept in days. ;)

I just woke up.
MV disturbed my sleep with his racist post in Art Bell thread.... ;)

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod