• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm not watching/have not watched/will never watch *movie title* thread

Started by Camazotz Automat, February 21, 2017, 04:07:30 PM

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 21, 2017, 07:08:21 PM
I watched the Devils not too long ago.  I believe it was the uncensored version.  It was pretty wild, nuns behaving badly and commiting blasphemous acts with religious artifacts.  Even though Oliver Reed's priest was a bit of a libertine, he didn't deserve his final fate. All in all, left a bit of a bad taste in my view of the Catholic Church.  I suspect that was Ken Russell's main intention with the film.

Worth seeing.  I had to gt an import of British dvd to view it and it hadn't been remastered but it was in fairly good shape.  Warner Bros. owns the film but seems to be afraid of releasing it here in the states.

I knew if anyone here had seen the uncensored version, it would be you.  I should go ahead and watch the R rated version, but I have a stubborn mental block against doing so.

BobGrau

Quote from: ItsOver on February 21, 2017, 06:44:21 PM
Go directly to "Gladiator."   Braveheart has never been the same since Russell unleased Hell.

For my opinion on Gladiator, go directly to Braveheart, unfortunately. I'm often told it lives up to the hype.

ItsOver

One great reason to view "Braveheart."

"Use up the Irish. The dead cost nothing."

Quote from: nooryisawesomeâ,,¢ on February 21, 2017, 07:19:08 PM

And to think they used to hand out gimmicky "vomit bags" for innocent horror movies like Frogs (1972) or Night of the Lepus (1972).

Glitter is the real deal.

BobGrau

A clockwork orange is another matter, that's a film I deliberately don't want to watch. Again, I saw a lot of the worst bits on television in the nineties (thanks, channel 4's "banned" season!) and I don't feel I need to see the rest. Man bites dog already scratched that itch for me, and without the pretentious Kubrik legend-building bullshit.

A small twinge of guilt because I really like Anthony Burgess books, but even he said it wasn't worth reading.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: BobGrau on February 21, 2017, 07:24:40 PM
A clockwork orange is another matter, that's a film I deliberately don't want to watch. Again, I saw a lot of the worst bits on television in the nineties (thanks, channel 4's "banned" season!) and I don't feel I need to see the rest. Man bites dog already scratched that itch for me, and without the pretentious Kubrik legend-building bullshit.

A small twinge of guilt because I really like Anthony Burgess books, but even he said it wasn't worth reading.

You should really just watch it. Come on! You'd deny yourself one of Kubrick's best movies?!  :)

Quote from: ItsOver on February 21, 2017, 07:22:23 PM
One great reason to view "Braveheart."

"Use up the Irish. The dead cost nothing."

Indeed. McGoohan's last really great prominent role though he was in a few other things after that.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 21, 2017, 07:47:57 PM
Indeed. McGoohan's last really great prominent role though he was in a few other things after that.
I just watched him in his last "Columbo" on MeTV.  One of his Emmy's.  Marvelous with his friend Falk. Truly enjoyable.

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 21, 2017, 07:47:57 PM

Can't believe he wasn't nominated for best supporting actor oscar.  His performance makes the movie.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 21, 2017, 07:26:07 PM
You should really just watch it. Come on! You'd deny yourself one of Kubrick's best movies?!  :)
Speaking of greats, I'll be viewing a showing of "Blade Runner" at the local artsy theater on Friday.  Love that flick.
To hell with Harrison.  It's all about Rutger.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on February 21, 2017, 07:54:43 PM
I just watched him in his last "Columbo" on MeTV.  One of his Emmy's.  Marvelous with his friend Falk. Truly enjoyable.
I think he was on Columbo a few times? He played that character perfectly. I watched that episode also the other night. New TV is awful, the antennae option you suggested was a great idea. Less than $10 on Amazon with shipping and now get to watch good tv and movies- for free!

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on February 21, 2017, 07:58:13 PM
Can't believe he wasn't nominated for best supporting actor oscar.  His performance makes the movie.
Astounding.  And that was when the Oscars still meant something and weren't just some kind of PC tool.

Quote from: zeebo on February 21, 2017, 07:58:13 PM

I never get tired of watching the scene where he pitches his son's unctious metrosexual friend out the tower window.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on February 21, 2017, 08:06:04 PM
I think he was on Columbo a few times? He played that character perfectly. I watched that episode also the other night. New TV is awful, the antennae option you suggested was a great idea. Less than $10 on Amazon with shipping and now get to watch good tv and movies- for free!
That's great.  I'm glad you enjoy it as much as I do.  Yes, I believe Patrick The Great  was on four Columbos.  My favorite is "At Dawns Early Light."

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on February 21, 2017, 08:13:17 PM
That's great.  I'm glad you enjoy it as much as I do.  Yes, I believe Patrick The Great  was on four Columbos.  My favorite is "At Dawns Early Light."
You can see it, somewhat, in Law and Order, but I like how in the old shows you can see the same character actors appearing on the same show in different roles without ruining the plot or something. Come on, did I think Murder, She Wrote, Columbo, Twilight Zone, Magnum PI, Alfred Hithcock Presents are real anyway? But is fun to see the same actors, on same shows, in different roles.

Quote from: ItsOver on February 21, 2017, 07:54:43 PM

The last line in that episode (Ashes to Ashes) is also the title of one of The Prisoner episodes.

"It's your funeral."

I remember when I saw it in 1990 and I screamed at the television. The line was delivered so effortlessly by Falk that I almost missed it.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 21, 2017, 08:18:20 PM
The last line in that episode (Ashes to Ashes) is also the title of one of The Prisoner episodes.

"It's your funeral."

I remember when I saw it in 1990 and I screamed at the television. The line was delivered so effortlessly by Falk that I almost missed it.
Ha!  Beautiful.  Thanks for that tid bit, Cam.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on February 21, 2017, 08:16:35 PM
You can see it, somewhat, in Law and Order, but I like how in the old shows you can see the same character actors appearing on the same show in different roles without ruining the plot or something. Come on, did I think Murder, She Wrote, Columbo, Twilight Zone, Magnum PI, Alfred Hithcock Presents are real anyway? But is fun to see the same actors, on same shows, in different roles.
Absolutely.  True talent knows no bounds.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 21, 2017, 08:12:09 PM
I never get tired of watching the scene where he pitches his son's unctious metrosexual friend out the tower window.

Lol, yeah don't annoy the king, especially if higher than ground floor. 

Quote from: ItsOver on February 21, 2017, 08:23:43 PM
Ha!  Beautiful.  Thanks for that tid bit, Cam.

Since McGoohan directed it, and since I was in full blown ~Six of One~ mode at that time in my life, I was certain there would be a nod to The Prisoner

I waited.  I waited.  I waited.

As the ending approached I gave up, believing I had either missed something subtle or that I was simply wrong.

Then it happened.  There it was.  Dead last in the episode.

There will never be another One like McGoohan.

The War of the Worlds and Day the Earth Stood Still remakes. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people who do stuff like that?

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 21, 2017, 08:59:34 PM
The War of the Worlds and Day the Earth Stood Still remakes. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people who do stuff like that?
There are rare cases in which the remake is as good, or even better, than the original. But very rare cases, like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

I'm not against using the same script with new actors or new "takes" on the story (Shakespeare, Historical, Biblical, Mythology, etc) can be told again and again because themes common in humanity and to reintroduce them to a younger generation or show the same old themes in a modern location) but the Hollywood "reboots" these days are awful. No imagination, all political correctness, and just lame. I will never watch the "new" Ghostbusters, for example.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 21, 2017, 08:51:04 PM
Since McGoohan directed it, and since I was in full blown ~Six of One~ mode at that time in my life, I was certain there would be a nod to The Prisoner

I waited.  I waited.  I waited.

As the ending approached I gave up, believing I had either missed something subtle or that I was simply wrong.

Then it happened.  There it was.  Dead last in the episode.

There will never be another One like McGoohan.
"I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign."

Patience  is indeed a virtue.