Antarctic Shenanigans

Started by Jackstar, December 26, 2016, 01:13:16 PM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Metron2267

Quote from: ItsOver on December 29, 2018, 07:53:41 AM
Flying saucer from "The Invaders."



I knew the alien were really Nazis, coming to take Tootsie Troll away.

Really good catch! ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 29, 2018, 04:31:44 PM
Really good catch! ;D
Ha!  True, dat.  You have to admit this is some pretty cool box art.



The "X Files" could have made several episodes based upon the whole Haunebu mythos.  Mulder always looked good as a Nazi. ;)


Metron2267

Damned straight it was. I used to play a game back in the early 90s called "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe".

https://gamesnostalgia.com/en/game/secret-weapons-of-the-luftwaffe




The ME-262 wasasupremely kewl, as too the short lived but brutally fast ME-163 Komet plane.



Sure wish it had included the Bell... 8)

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 01, 2019, 11:01:30 AM
Damned straight it was. I used to play a game back in the early 90s called "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe".

https://gamesnostalgia.com/en/game/secret-weapons-of-the-luftwaffe




The ME-262 wasasupremely kewl, as too the short lived but brutally fast ME-163 Komet plane.



Sure wish it had included the Bell... 8)
Both for die Glocke and for Art: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URAqnM1PP5E



ItsOver

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 01, 2019, 11:01:30 AM
Damned straight it was. I used to play a game back in the early 90s called "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe".

https://gamesnostalgia.com/en/game/secret-weapons-of-the-luftwaffe




The ME-262 wasasupremely kewl, as too the short lived but brutally fast ME-163 Komet plane.



Sure wish it had included the Bell... 8)
Did the game include the HO 229?



I used to love watching the old "Wings" series on Discovery, which included "Wings of the Luftwaffe."  Loved the old black and white clips they showed of actual aircraft operations.  The Me-163 story was particularly fascinating, especially when they were playing with T-Stoff and C-Stoff.  :o

Gd5150

There’s a show on Netflix called Nazi Mega Weaponss. One of them covered the ME-262. Interesting program. It’s been a while but I remember one on a giant submarine base, and giant tank that was crazy.

https://youtu.be/BrFqRH8vVno

ItsOver

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 03, 2019, 08:34:41 AM
There’s a show on Netflix called Nazi Mega Weaponss. One of them covered the ME-262. Interesting program. It’s been a while but I remember one on a giant submarine base, and giant tank that was crazy.

https://youtu.be/BrFqRH8vVno
Excellent!  Thanks, I'll give it a watch.


Metron2267

Quote from: ItsOver on January 03, 2019, 08:19:04 AM
Did the game include the HO 229?

Not that I recall, they tried to stay pretty close to what could have been in the air in the last days of the war.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060623025112/http://www.lucasarts.com/20th/history_2.htm

Released in August 1991, the game followed the campaign by the US 8th Air Force to cripple the German Luftwaffe during the final years of World War II. Players could fly in either American or German warplanes. The game was remarkable because many of the playable airplanes were still under development during the war. In other words, the planes were never used extensively in battle, so players could explore “what if ” possibilities with the game. Those possibilities were further expanded by four Tour of Duty expansion packs. The planes in those expansions included the P-38 Lighting, a twin-engine escort fighter and the German Do335, an interceptor aircraft that featured a conventional tractor propeller in the nose as well as a pusher propeller behind the tail of the aircraft.



Quote

I used to love watching the old "Wings" series on Discovery, which included "Wings of the Luftwaffe."  Loved the old black and white clips they showed of actual aircraft operations.  The Me-163 story was particularly fascinating, especially when they were playing with T-Stoff and C-Stoff.  :o

Wings was a great show, one Discovery's best ever!

They only saved one of those wings, you may find the story of intereest:



https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/horten-ho-229-v3
Display Status:
This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Gd5150

What game was that?

I had an Amiga computer. Amazing graphics and stereo sound for its time, but selections were limited. 1988 saw the release of F-18 Interceptor from Electronic arts. It was an awesome game at the time.

https://youtu.be/8piDU5UFA68

Since this is the Antarctic thread, one of the early games released in 1986 was Arctic Fox by Electronic Arts. A futuristic tank game. Really cool.

https://youtu.be/nCw7Q4PkNto


Metron2267

Very cool!

Intellivision had Armor Battle which was not half as immersive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BA0hVvd7w

ItsOver

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 03, 2019, 11:04:46 AM

...They only saved one of those wings, you may find the story of intereest:



https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/horten-ho-229-v3
Display Status:
This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.
Ah, yes, NatGeo did an excellent documentary on this, the one UD's linked in his post above.  It went into the history of the Horten and how the B-2 developers built off the work.  It still amazes me as to how advanced the Germans were by the end of WWII.  A SOA stealth bomber that's flying today, directly linked to work done by the Germans with the HO 229.  I've watched the NG documentary several times and highly recommend it.  I thought of it when I was watching the opening ceremonies for this week's Rose Bowl which included an impressive low-level flyby of a B-2. 

I also enjoy the Luft 46 artwork.  Since I collect aviation-related diecast and prefer rather unique subjects, I picked up one of Luft-X's resin models of the HO 229, sometime back.  It's very nicely done.



I noticed Luft-X is releasing a model of the Haunebu I soon, so I couldn't resist putting in an order for one. ;)



Too bad the Haunebu-stuff is almost certainly completely mythical.  Or is it? ;)



ItsOver

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 03, 2019, 11:26:00 AM
What game was that?

I had an Amiga computer. Amazing graphics and stereo sound for its time, but selections were limited. 1988 saw the release of F-18 Interceptor from Electronic arts. It was an awesome game at the time.

https://youtu.be/8piDU5UFA68

Since this is the Antarctic thread, one of the early games released in 1986 was Arctic Fox by Electronic Arts. A futuristic tank game. Really cool.

https://youtu.be/nCw7Q4PkNto


Nice!  I've been battling recently with an IR R/C tank, like below.  It's pretty damn cool, with sounds, recoil, even a working headlight. The Rooskie T-34 makes a fine target. ;)

https://youtu.be/lgQtHzDSPzE



Gd5150

Quote from: ItsOver on January 04, 2019, 09:52:05 AM
Nice!  I've been battling recently with an IR R/C tank, like below.  It's pretty damn cool, with sounds, recoil, even a working headlight. The Rooskie T-34 makes a fine target. ;)


Wise choice. Don’t have to deal with the catastrophic learning curve that comes with remote control flying objects. I just got a drone, still haven’t unboxed it. But should be fun.

Metron2267

Quote from: ItsOver on January 04, 2019, 05:55:08 AM
Ah, yes, NatGeo did an excellent documentary on this, the one UD's linked in his post above.  It went into the history of the Horten and how the B-2 developers built off the work.  It still amazes me as to how advanced the Germans were by the end of WWII.  A SOA stealth bomber that's flying today, directly linked to work done by the Germans with the HO 229.  I've watched the NG documentary several times and highly recommend it.  I thought of it when I was watching the opening ceremonies for this week's Rose Bowl which included an impressive low-level flyby of a B-2.

Crap I missed that, had to have been very cool...and quiet...

QuoteI also enjoy the Luft 46 artwork.  Since I collect aviation-related diecast and prefer rather unique subjects, I picked up one of Luft-X's resin models of the HO 229, sometime back.  It's very nicely done.


I wager you must also be a big fan of the P-38, true?

QuoteI noticed Luft-X is releasing a model of the Haunebu I soon, so I couldn't resist putting in an order for one. ;)



Too bad the Haunebu-stuff is almost certainly completely mythical.  Or is it? ;)



Welp, there is this Kecksburg incident to ponder:

http://www.stangordon.info/wp/2015/12/04/kecksburg-ufo-witness-says-object-was-not-ge-mark-2-reentry-vehicle-2/



I know, looks more like Odin's French tickler... ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 04, 2019, 11:33:01 AM


...I wager you must also be a big fan of the P-38, true?

Welp, there is this Kecksburg incident to ponder:

http://www.stangordon.info/wp/2015/12/04/kecksburg-ufo-witness-says-object-was-not-ge-mark-2-reentry-vehicle-2/



I know, looks more like Odin's French tickler... ;D
Funny you'd mention that.  When I was posting about Luft-X, Luft 46, etc. I was thinking what was "leading edge" on the Allies side.  The P-38 certainly came to mind.  Kelly Johnson was certainly a major pioneer for aviation and an interesting character.  This book, by one of his proteges, Ben Rich, did an excellent job of capturing some of Kelly's work and is a pleasure to read.


Kidnostad3

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 04, 2019, 11:33:01 AM




I know, looks more like Odin's French tickler... ;D

Yet another reference to the phallus with a smiley face no less.  Most would see an acorn.  Very gay. 

Con permiso de Aldous Burbank:

ItsOver

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 04, 2019, 11:21:42 AM
Wise choice. Don’t have to deal with the catastrophic learning curve that comes with remote control flying objects. I just got a drone, still haven’t unboxed it. But should be fun.
Heh, heh, oh, I still do RC aviation, too, although I'm just into the micros, now, primarily the Horizon UMXs.  I'll confess I'm not much into the quad/ drones, though.  I like having a wing, as a back-up for power plant failures. ;)  Here's one of my favorites, at the moment, a very nice flyer with a lot of capability but with enough "smarts," it's not all that difficult to fly for beginners.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/airplanes-14501--1/sport/delta-ray-one-bnf-basic-efl9550


Kidnostad3

Quote from: ItsOver on January 05, 2019, 09:50:38 AM
Heh, heh, oh, I still do RC aviation, too, although I'm just into the micros, now, primarily the Horizon UMXs.  I'll confess I'm not much into the quad/ drones, though.  I like having a wing, as a back-up for power plant failures. ;)  Here's one of my favorites, at the moment, a very nice flyer with a lot of capability but with enough "smarts," it's not all that difficult to fly for beginners.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/airplanes-14501--1/sport/delta-ray-one-bnf-basic-efl9550



I've been thinking about getting one since flying my brothers drone a bit. (Not enough to be competent.)   What's a good starter drone.  My bro's wasn't all that easy but I did manage basic maneuvers.  My ability to finely manipulate things ain't what it used to be. 

ItsOver

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 05, 2019, 10:17:21 AM
I've been thinking about getting one after flying my brothers a bit. (Not enough to be competent.)  Let us know how you make out.
On the Delta Ray One UMX?  It flies great, both low and fairly slow and at full power.  Just make sure you have some decent batteries and set it up per the instructions.  It's a fun little plane and the tough foam and rubber nose makes it pretty durable, too, as long as you don't do a full bore nose plant. ;)

Metron2267

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 05, 2019, 09:32:01 AM
Yet another reference to the phallus with a smiley face no less.  Most would see an acorn.  Very gay. 

Con permiso de Aldous Burbank:

Does EVERYTHING have to be "gay" with you?

Seriously man, you're evidencing a really deep-seated fixation that seems unhealthy as a regular whipping post here.

Did some gay swabby load your torpedo tube against your will at 100 fathoms? :o

Metron2267

Quote from: ItsOver on January 05, 2019, 09:05:20 AM
Funny you'd mention that.  When I was posting about Luft-X, Luft 46, etc. I was thinking what was "leading edge" on the Allies side.  The P-38 certainly came to mind.  Kelly Johnson was certainly a major pioneer for aviation and an interesting character.  This book, by one of his proteges, Ben Rich, did an excellent job of capturing some of Kelly's work and is a pleasure to read.



Tnx for the share, looks like the "Wings" episodes were just a teaser for the real story. I'm going to bet the chapters on the F-104 are every bit as engrossing as his work on the SR-71.

Metron2267

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a25740504/restored-twin-mustang-flies/

Of the five Twin Mustangs left in the world, two are on display in the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. Another is a gate guard at Lackland AFB in Texas. One is currently undergoing restoration. And oneâ€"just oneâ€"is, at long last, ready to fly.

More than a decade of labor and an untold amount of money has gone into the restoration of airframe 44-83887 under the leadership of master aircraft restorer Tom Reilly of Douglas, Georgia. This Monday, New Year's Eve, Reilly's ultra-rare XP-82 made history and took to the skies for the first time in decades, becoming the only airworthy Twin Mustang in the world.


ItsOver

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 05, 2019, 11:13:35 AM
Tnx for the share, looks like the "Wings" episodes were just a teaser for the real story. I'm going to bet the chapters on the F-104 are every bit as engrossing as his work on the SR-71.
It covers the U-2, too.  The entire book is fascinating, with all the shenanigans they had to go through at the Skunk Works to get their leading edge work accomplished.  Kelly was "old school" and wanted to get things done and not build some bloated bureaucracy.

albrecht

Yuuuge hole in Antarctica "just" discovered.  Of course the news and articles about the hole only focus on global warming and melting glaciers- not the hole.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/huge-hole-discovered-beneath-fast-melting-antarctic-glacier/




ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on February 01, 2019, 04:44:34 PM
Yuuuge hole in Antarctica "just" discovered.  Of course the news and articles about the hole only focus on global warming and melting glaciers- not the hole.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/huge-hole-discovered-beneath-fast-melting-antarctic-glacier/
Of course.  They have to stick with "The Agenda."


Metron2267

The word of the day - Etidorpha...



Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod