• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

VPN

Started by Inglorious Bitch, December 09, 2016, 10:55:14 AM

Caruthers612

Next question, since I have Nord installed on my phone. I get that it protects me when I'm using public WiFi, but what about LTE? When I'm connecting to the internet entirely by cellular, does Nord/VPN protect me?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Caruthers612 on February 19, 2017, 03:27:59 AM
        Next question, since I have Nord installed on my phone. I get that it protects me when I'm using public WiFi, but what about LTE? When I'm connecting to the internet entirely by cellular, does Nord/VPN protect me?

it does.

Caruthers612

With regard to the new Vault 7 disclosure on Wikileaks about CIA hacking...We knew before that the microphones and cameras on our phones and laptops could be turned on remotely and used to spy on us, so, does VPN in any way protect you against this? Does there exist a way to prevent someone from remotely turning on the mic or camera?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Caruthers612 on March 08, 2017, 12:42:19 AM
        With regard to the new Vault 7 disclosure on Wikileaks about CIA hacking...We knew before that the microphones and cameras on our phones and laptops could be turned on remotely and used to spy on us, so, does VPN in any way protect you against this? Does there exist a way to prevent someone from remotely turning on the mic or camera?

the only thing you could do to protect yourself from that is 1) physically disconnect the microphone from its interface or 2) entirely stop using the devices in question.  a vpn wouldn't protect you from this sort of intrusion.  you should google a wikipedia article on how vpn works.

zeebo

Here's a couple VPN q's. 

1 - How can one be guaranteed they don't log your IP? 

2 - How can you pay for the service without giving your credit card info which is basically like a giant digital arrow pointing back to you?

Asking for a friend who is curious about the legally gray area of 30-year-old nintendo games.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on March 08, 2017, 12:52:49 AM
Here's a couple VPN q's. 

1 - How can one be guaranteed they don't log your IP? 

you can't be guaranteed of that.  however, the alternative does guarantee your ip is being logged.

2 - How can you pay for the service without giving your credit card info which is basically like a giant digital arrow pointing back to you?
payment records would indicate only that you are a paying customer.  if the vpn isn't keeping logs, there would be no indicator of what you did while using the service, and that's what's important.

Asking for a friend who is curious about the legally gray area of 30-year-old nintendo games.

you can download like 750 SNES games in one torrent on the pirate bay.  you can then play them with the snes9x emulator.  it's great.

zeebo

^^ Ah, I see.  Thanks for the info.  I shall inform my friend.  I however shall be doing responsible things like *not* drinking beer and playing Super Metroid.

Dr. MD MD

Just for the record I've been DLing from torrent sites for years without going through a VPN. So far, no visits from men in black.  8)

Besides, downloading ROMs from old systems for the sake of historical preservation isn't really a crime. It's a grayzone at best.  ;)

Taaroa

I may as well ask here since the Spec Sheet is dead and I don't want to derail a radio train:

Let's say I have access to a property in Country A, and would like to set up a private VPN for myself to use while in Country B and vice versa (mainly for avoiding geoblocks on stores and streaming). What do I need on both ends equipment or software wise and how hard is it to set up/use?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Taaroa on March 08, 2017, 04:34:44 AM
I may as well ask here since the Spec Sheet is dead and I don't want to derail a radio train:

Let's say I have access to a property in Country A, and would like to set up a private VPN for myself to use while in Country B and vice versa (mainly for avoiding geoblocks on stores and streaming). What do I need on both ends equipment or software wise and how hard is it to set up/use?

if all you want to do is access the web as if you're in the united states (or any other country), then you can accomplish it by installing nord.  just click the VPN link in the menu above.

Taaroa

Quote from: Σ> on March 08, 2017, 12:53:59 PM
if all you want to do is access the web as if you're in the united states (or any other country), then you can accomplish it by installing nord.  just click the VPN link in the menu above.
But I mean I want to use the specific connection of that property with my own private tunnel and not via a third party (or at least not a third party I don't personally know).

Caruthers612

Quote from: Σ> on March 08, 2017, 12:47:22 AM
the only thing you could do to protect yourself from that is 1) physically disconnect the microphone from its interface or 2) entirely stop using the devices in question.  a vpn wouldn't protect you from this sort of intrusion.  you should google a wikipedia article on how vpn works.

I did, read the whole thing. I think I pretty much get it but I thought perhaps the encryption aspect combined with the VPN giving you a masked IP address would make it hard for big brother to locate and identify your specific phone on the network so they could control the mic and camera. Likewise, the Vault 7 disclosure indicates the CIA uses your phone to geo locate you and I'm not clear if this means they are using features of Android/iOS to accomplish this or hacking your cellular provider's signal to trace the location of your particular phone.

mikuthing01

I am going to invest in dumb phones, sales are about to spike

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Taaroa on March 08, 2017, 01:09:13 PM
But I mean I want to use the specific connection of that property with my own private tunnel and not via a third party (or at least not a third party I don't personally know).

i'm sure this is possible, but i've never done it.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Caruthers612 on March 08, 2017, 07:10:59 PM
  I did, read the whole thing. I think I pretty much get it but I thought perhaps the encryption aspect combined with the VPN giving you a masked IP address would make it hard for big brother to locate and identify your specific phone on the network so they could control the mic and camera. Likewise, the Vault 7 disclosure indicates the CIA uses your phone to geo locate you and I'm not clear if this means they are using features of Android/iOS to accomplish this or hacking your cellular provider's signal to trace the location of your particular phone.

think of it in terms of what would happen if you used a vpn service and connected to bellgab through it.  the bellgab server would still be entirely capable of communicating with you as an end client and you'd have all of the functionality you'd expect.  the only thing the vpn would do is 1) fool the bellgab server into thinking the vpn's ip address is your ip address and 2) prevent a man in the middle (your ISP or employer) from seeing what you're doing.  item 2 is where the encryption comes in. 

but again, the end service you're accessing would still function as intended.  knowing this, you could think of the spying intel agency's audio snooping as the end service which would continue to work fine.  they wouldn't see your ip address, but if they've managed to turn on your mic and spy on you, they've probably also managed to make your phone report its true ip address and even its phone number.

on a pc, this logic is why it's a good idea to consider addons like "no script" which prevent javascript from running.  javascript is entirely capable of reporting your true ip address through the browser if allowed to run.  the TOR browser, which is based on firefox, comes out of the box with scripting disabled, and this is exactly why.  a website could manipulate javascript to obviate the entire purpose behind using TOR to begin with.

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Taaroa

Quote from: Σ> on March 08, 2017, 11:23:19 PM
i'm sure this is possible, but i've never done it.
Oh well, thanks anyway. I'll look into it further.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Σ> on March 08, 2017, 11:34:02 PM
but again, the end service you're accessing would still function as intended.  knowing this, you could think of the spying intel agency's audio snooping as the end service which would continue to work fine.  they wouldn't see your ip address, but if they've managed to turn on your mic and spy on you, they've probably also managed to make your phone report its true ip address and even its phone number.

on a pc, this logic is why it's a good idea to consider addons like "no script" which prevent javascript from running.  javascript is entirely capable of reporting your true ip address through the browser if allowed to run.  the TOR browser, which is based on firefox, comes out of the box with scripting disabled, and this is exactly why.  a website could manipulate javascript to obviate the entire purpose behind using TOR to begin with.

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

OK, so with regard to the first paragraph...Are you referring to an IMSI catcher forcing the SIM in your phone to report your IP address, phone number, etc., or is there some other technology they can use for when you're not in ranger of a IMSI catcher that accomplishes the same thing?
   With regard to the second paragraph...Would an app like Malwarebytes detect and prevent the running of said javacript? (I'm using Chrome, btw.) And if a javascript can send your true IP through a browser even if you're using a VPN, then what is the point of having the VPN?