• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your Lunch Box In Elementary School

Started by Camazotz Automat, November 20, 2016, 12:56:20 AM

Lunch box, pail, kit, or brown paper bag.

Land of the the Giants ruled my cafeteria time.

ShayP

I had several as a kid in the 70's, but this one is most memorable.

comaphobe

I don't have a pic but it was a Dukes of Hazzard one with a thermos inside. I couldn't find the particular one using an image search.

I no longer have that lunchbox but still have this:

GravitySucks

Only vague memories. 1st and 2nd grade. After that it was just a paper bag.

K_Dubb

I had some cartoon thing but since we didn't have tv I didn't know what it was, and can't remember now.  I also had a Fred Flintstone Hallowe'en costume but had no idea who he was.  It was only when going through old slides as an adult that I realized this.

whoozit

I had me one of these.  If I was a little younger I would have insisted on a Calvin and Hobbes lunchbox, if I could have persuaded Mr. Watterson make one, that is.

Jackstar

I'm not going to lie, I can't even remember what my lunchbox was, and I just spent more time than I care to admit crying over that.

I never had one, never packed a lunch a single time.

Pretty much everyone where I lived ate the school lunch, mom bought lunch tickets and I'd sell mine and buy ice cream sandwiches.  Or buy baseball cards with the money after school.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on November 20, 2016, 08:36:33 AM
I rolled with Johnny and Roy

An excellent show and actually had an effect on paramedic response and organization across the country. Once again Jack Webb was a genius with shows. It also scared me as a kid considering some of the situations a kid got into on the show and stuff we did. Haha.
ps: brown paper bag for me mostly for school lunches as a kid or the cafeteria stuff.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on November 20, 2016, 08:45:31 AM
An excellent show and actually had an effect on paramedic response and organization across the country. Once again Jack Webb was a genius with shows. It also scared me as a kid considering some of the situations a kid got into on the show and stuff we did. Haha.
ps: brown paper bag for me mostly for school lunches as a kid or the cafeteria stuff.

Webb had a stable of veteran character actors he used repeatedly across all his programs, almost an ensemble cast split among three shows. Wasn't unusual to see a guy play a police captain one week, a crook the next, then a crash victim a couple weeks later.  I once read many of them were Webb's drinking buddies, and he was known to be very loyal to his friends. 

One of the twenty-fifth anniversary "Animal House" pieces I read claimed that Jack Webb was the original choice to play Dean Wormer, but he turned down the part.  Too bad, he'd have been memorable in that role.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 20, 2016, 09:17:56 AM
Webb had a stable of veteran character actors he used repeatedly across all his programs, almost an ensemble cast split among three shows. Wasn't unusual to see a guy play a police captain one week, a crook the next, then a crash victim a couple weeks later.  I once read many of them were Webb's drinking buddies, and he was known to be very loyal to his friends. 

One of the twenty-fifth anniversary "Animal House" pieces I read claimed that Jack Webb was the original choice to play Dean Wormer, but he turned down the part.  Too bad, he'd have been memorable in that role.
Ha, I can see Jack doing his rapid Sgt.Friday clipped speech towards the Delta House members as Dean Wormer though John Vernon was great in that roll also. Interesting info about Jack and characters actors. Many shows used to be that way (see character actors in different roles at different times. Not sure when it stopped but as late as the 80's various shows did that, especially mystery or action shows. Somehow that seems to have changed, though I don't watch much modern tv shows so not sure of that.)

Dateline

I got free lunches, so yes there are free lunches in America.  I also got chocolate milk twice a day.  Chocolate Cow Lives Matter!

Couple of more lunch box memories. 

The thermos generally was useless after the first week of school.
You would inevitably drop it, the glass inside would shatter and you would have a mess.   No sadder
feeling that opening the top looking in and seeing your milk full of glass.

I also remember wanting an Evel Knievel box but my old man put the kibosh on that.  I think the
line of reasoning was "I don't want to enrich that asshole anymore than he is now".  One of those
things that you realize your parents being right about after you've grown up.

Art_s Farts

I was the kid with long hair and older sibling's Black Sabbath T-shirt that other parents wouldn't let their kids play with

analog kid

Quote from: Turd Ferguson on November 20, 2016, 11:57:09 AM
I was the kid with long hair and older sibling's Black Sabbath T-shirt that other parents wouldn't let their kids play with

Are you me?

I didn't have a lunch box though. My parents didn't care whether I ate or not. They weren't as common in the rural South anyway.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Al Capone's Vault on November 20, 2016, 11:59:41 AM
My parents didn't care whether I ate or not.

Thanks, this speaks volumes in explaining your posts.

Art_s Farts

Quote from: Al Capone's Vault on November 20, 2016, 11:59:41 AM
Are you me?

I didn't have a lunch box though. My parents didn't care whether I ate or not. They weren't as common in the rural South anyway.

I grew up in South Texas so I got a lot of dirty looks from the old folks. I wore my Ozzy Diary of a Madman shirt for my 5th grade class picture. My teacher made me wear a button up shirt over it but right before the cameraman snapped the picture, I stealthily dropped the outer shirt and there I am beaming in my Ozzy shirt.

analog kid

Quote from: Turd Ferguson on November 20, 2016, 12:46:42 PM
I grew up in South Texas so I got a lot of dirty looks from the old folks. I wore my Ozzy Diary of a Madman shirt for my 5th grade class picture. My teacher made me wear a button up shirt over it but right before the cameraman snapped the picture, I stealthily dropped the outer shirt and there I am beaming in my Ozzy shirt.

I was a victim of the 80s "Satanic Panic," because of my tshirts.

I still dress exactly the same, incidentally.

analog kid

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 20, 2016, 12:14:56 PM
Thanks, this speaks volumes in explaining your posts.

I realize I'm being hypocritical here, but you have nothing of substance to offer to any conversation.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on November 20, 2016, 06:52:51 AM
I had me one of these.  If I was a little younger I would have insisted on a Calvin and Hobbes lunchbox, if I could have persuaded Mr. Watterson make one, that is.

Love it.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Al Capone's Vault on November 20, 2016, 12:54:28 PM
I realize I'm being hypocritical here, but you have nothing of substance to offer to any conversation.

That's alright. I'm sure some authority figure will pay attention to you someday. Keep trying!  ;)

analog kid

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 20, 2016, 01:13:38 PM
That's alright. I'm sure some authority figure will pay attention to you someday. Keep trying!  ;)

What is authority to an adult? You're so cute.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Al Capone's Vault on November 20, 2016, 01:23:20 PM
What is authority to an adult?

My point exactly. And yet your entire debating style is to ridicule one's sources as not being authoritative enough. Grow up!  :P

analog kid

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 20, 2016, 01:28:20 PM
My point exactly. And yet your entire debating style is to ridicule one's sources as not being authoritative enough. Grow up!  :P

??

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Al Capone's Vault on November 20, 2016, 01:28:51 PM
??

I'd say you'll learn one day but people don't live to be a thousand years old anymore.  ;) ;D

trostol

can't remember what i had last week and you want me to remember a lunchbox from the 70's/80's...not gonna happen..i feel like it was star wars though...or BPB..i do have this sitting around