• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Calexit

Started by WOTR, November 11, 2016, 01:40:40 AM

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 11, 2016, 11:01:55 AM
If CA were a country, it would have the sixth largest GDP in the world. Higher than France, who produce $2.42 trillion as opposed to CA's $2.44 trilliion; with 6 million fewer workers. Its the highest earning state in the USA, so if momentum does get behind this, it should be taken seriously. It won't of course.

I believe any group of people should be able to leave a union and govern themselves.  If the 'progressives' in California want to leave, they should do so - no war, still friends.

But they shouldn't force the whole state to go with them.  After subtracting agriculture and the rest of what is produced in the Red areas, what is their economic ranking then?  Hell, add Portland, Eugene, and Seattle to the mix and be off.  They should keep in mind though that many of the leftist run Silicon Valley companies recognize their income offshore and don't pay taxes at home.  And companies like Chevron would likely move across the border and back into the US

It's the coastal larger cities that flip California (and Washington and Oregon) into the Dem's column, the rest of the state, not so much

As a matter of fact, folks from the very Liberal, very corrupt, big government states in the northeast have come out here over the past several decades to get away from the high crime, high taxes , bad schools, crumbling cities, and all the rest.  Problem is, once here they immediately start electing Libs to implement those same policies that created those things in the first place, and ruining what we have here.

Not so long ago, our western states were solid Red, well managed, low crime, opportunity for all, etc.  Now that the Libs have moved here in droves, much of that is destroyed and we have the same problems they brought with them from the northeast.

Now that they've fouled the nest here, they want to leave again.  Go.

paladin1991

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 11, 2016, 11:42:03 AM
I believe any group of people should be able to leave a union and govern themselves.  If the 'progressives' in California want to leave, they should do so - no war, still friends.

But they shouldn't force the whole state to go with them.  After subtracting agriculture and the rest of what is produced in the Red areas, what is their economic ranking then?  Hell, add Portland, Eugene, and Seattle to the mix and be off.  They should keep in mind though that many of the leftist run Silicon Valley companies recognize their income offshore and don't pay taxes at home.  And companies like Chevron would likely move across the border and back into the US

It's the coastal larger cities that flip California (and Washington and Oregon) into the Dem's column, the rest of the state, not so much

PB, I can't cite my source, as I read it on the internet (so we know it's true, right?), but in the swath of land fm, roughly, San Fran south to the border and for 40-80 miles inland fm the coast, 40 million Americans are alleged to be living there.  That's more than 10 % of the American pop.  Not including millions of criminal foreign citizens in that count. 
Billary won Cali because it was in that swath of entitlements and hand outs that runs right up the Left Coast.  The Peoples Republic of Cali can't secede. It is dependent on the Federal Tit. 

paladin1991

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 11, 2016, 11:50:02 AM
As a matter of fact, folks from the very Liberal, high crime, high tax, big government states in the North East have come out here over the past several decades to get away from all that.  Problem is, once here they immediately start electing Libs here and ruining what we have.

Not so long ago, our western states were solid Red, well managed, low crime, opportunity for all, etc.  Now that the Libs have moved here in droves, much of that is destroyed and we have the same problems they brought with them from the northeast.

Now that they've fouled the nest here, they want to leave again.  Go.  To Canada.

FIFY?

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 11, 2016, 11:52:31 AM
PB, I can't cite my source, as I read it on the internet (so we know it's true, right?), but in the swath of land fm, roughly, San Fran south to the border and for 40-80 miles inland fm the coast, 40 million Americans are alleged to be living there.  That's more than 10 % of the American pop.  Not including millions of criminal foreign citizens in that count. 
Billary won Cali because it was in that swath of entitlements and hand outs that runs right up the Left Coast.  The Peoples Republic of Cali can't secede. It is dependent on the Federal Tit.

There is a lot of money being made, certainly in SF and area.  Maybe it would work out for them. 

I could see Seattle, Portland, SF, LA as city-states like Singapore, or the coastal areas of Calif, Oregon, Washington, and maybe Vancouver/Victoria as their own nation.  Of course they'd have to start being grownups and taking responsibility for themselves, which would be a real stretch.

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 11, 2016, 11:53:26 AM
FIFY?

I don't care where they go.  Back to Jersey?  I have nothing against Canada.  :D

paladin1991

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 11, 2016, 11:55:26 AM
There is a lot of money being made, certainly in SF and area.  Maybe it would work out for them. 

I could see Seattle, Portland, SF, LA as city-states like Singapore, or the coastal areas of Calif, Oregon, Washington, and maybe Vancouver/Victoria as their own nation.  Of course they'd have to start being grownups and taking responsibility for themselves, which would be a real stretch.

You know, if the whole coast went, that would leave Lewiston, Idaho as the only Pacific access for the USA.  I think it would be fair to demand 50 mile buffer zone to each side of the Columbia river.

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 11, 2016, 12:07:24 PM
You know, if the whole coast went, that would leave Lewiston, Idaho as the only Pacific access for the USA.  I think it would be fair to demand 50 mile buffer zone to each side of the Columbia river.

They shouldn't have the entire coast line.  There are plenty of areas along it that are Red voters.  I favor smaller city states.  For that matter Boston should be set out on it's own too.

Any agreement would preserve access to the ports.  They would almost certainly be under our military umbrella.  They'd be crawling back soon enough anyway, a little wiser.

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 11, 2016, 11:50:02 AM
As a matter of fact, folks from the very Liberal, very corrupt, big government states in the northeast have come out here over the past several decades to get away from the high crime, high taxes , bad schools, crumbling cities, and all the rest.  Problem is, once here they immediately start electing Libs to implement those same policies that created those things in the first place, and ruining what we have here.

Now that they've fouled the nest here, they want to leave again.  Go.

Gyoza Girl

I'd vote for Calexit. This election showed just how little we have in common with the Rust Belt and Southern states. They're always denigrating us, so they should be happy to see us leave.

Quote from: Gyoza Girl on November 11, 2016, 05:21:41 PM
I'd vote for Calexit. This election showed just how little we have in common with the Rust Belt and Southern states. They're always denigrating us, so they should be happy to see us leave.

I live in the South but was born and spent a number of years in Los Angeles County.  Maybe if the people who lived in the West Coast would stop denigrating Southerners as rednecks and that sort of thing maybe we would be a bit nicer to those on the West Coast.  I consider myself a Californian but I'm embarrassed by what California has become.  I'd hate to see California leave the Union.  It won't happen anyway.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 05:27:26 PM
I live in the South but was born and spent a number of years in Los Angeles County.  Maybe if the people who lived in the West Coast would stop denigrating Southerners as rednecks and that sort of thing maybe we would be a bit nicer to those on the West Coast.  I consider myself a Californian but I'm embarrassed by what California has become.  I'd hate to see California leave the Union.  It won't happen anyway.
It is interesting when Texas, Vermont, the Inland Empire of the Pacific NW, etc talks secession over the decades they are "kooks and crazy." And we are all, mostly, taught in school how the Civil War had a good result and secession is not legal. But now, due to one election, when the victor hasn't even taken office, appointed a cabinet, or taken any actions the leftists freakout are seriously talking secession? I think the country is too big and diverse to be ruled in a 'top-down,' inside-the-beltway manner- why our Founders allowed States. If we "got back to basics" it would not be such a huge deal what President is elected because he wouldn't have so much control over what goes on in our daily lives.

Quote from: Gyoza Girl on November 11, 2016, 05:21:41 PM

Seriously?  Do you have a tin ear when it comes to how the Libs, including Californians, talk about everyone else?

It amazes me how the Left, Hollywood, Academia, Democrats, government officials, and especially the Media almost constantly just absolutely trash everyone not like them and who don't agree with them, and then turn into whiny little bitches when even a little bit of it is returned.  It's as if their continual insults, lies, and smears are simply The Truth, and anyone responding to it is beyond the pale. 

People like you have a massive blind spot.

Lilith

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 11, 2016, 06:35:18 PM
Seriously?  Do you have a tin ear when it comes to how the Libs, including Californians, talk about everyone else?

It amazes me how the Left, Hollywood, Academia, Democrats, government officials, and especially the Media almost constantly just absolutely trash everyone not like them and who don't agree with them, and then turn into whiny little bitches when even a little bit of it is returned.  It's as if their continual insults, lies, and smears are simply The Truth, and anyone responding to it is beyond the pale. 

This guy kinda "gets it" IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

Quote from: brig on November 11, 2016, 06:39:31 PM
This guy kinda "gets it" IMO...

He's about 95% of the way there.  The only part he doesn't get is that without all the threats, smears, lies, and name calling, there's nothing left. 

They can't reveal their true agenda, or they wouldn't get any votes at all.  ''We are building a one-world Left-wing Fascist dictatorship, run by us'' isn't quite going to get the vote out.

Lilith

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 11, 2016, 07:27:54 PM
He's about 95% of the way there.  The only part he doesn't get is that without all the threats, smears, lies, and name calling, there's nothing left. 

They can't reveal their true agenda, or they wouldn't get any votes at all.  ''We are building a one-world Left-wing Fascist dictatorship, run by us'' isn't quite going to get the vote out.

EXACTLY!

It's gonna bring new meaning to Hells Canyon.

Gyoza Girl

Well, pardon me all to hell.

Gyoza Girl

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 05:27:26 PM
A one-time Californian has no need to feel embarrassed, we're doing just fine. :)

WOTR

You bring up a good point... Not just the Columbia- but water in general.  Hoover dam holds tons of water, and California is already pretty dry.  Once you leave the union, what incentive does America have to release the water needed to continue irrigation?

It could get interesting.

Also- the existing federal debt.  When Quebec starts getting restless, I always figure they can vote their way out of Canada- but they had better take their share of the debt with them.  You don't get decades of free "goodies" and then start debt free leaving the other citizens to pay for your past.

norland2424

Quote from: WOTR on November 12, 2016, 12:22:47 AM
You bring up a good point... Not just the Columbia- but water in general.  Hoover dam holds tons of water, and California is already pretty dry.  Once you leave the union, what incentive does America have to release the water needed to continue irrigation?

It could get interesting.

war  :)

zeebo

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 10:45:18 AM
the feds would never allow it , regardless if the state voted yes, lol and you know gunless hippies wont start a shooting war over this.

But they know where the best cheap burritos are, they could hold out a long time.

WOTR

Quote from: norland2424 on November 12, 2016, 12:24:12 AM
war  :)
I like to believe that diplomacy would be involved... But there is nothing that a little civil war cannot fix.  ;)

paladin1991

Quote from: Gyoza Girl on November 12, 2016, 12:20:04 AM
A one-time Californian has no need to feel embarrassed, we're doing just fine. :)

As a one time Californian, 'No, you're not.'

Gyoza Girl

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 12, 2016, 01:49:43 AM
As a one time Californian, 'No, you're not.'
Why do you say that? Is it because California receives back only 78 cents for every $1 we pay in federal taxes? Yes, in this respect we are net losers compared to many other states. That said, we're the world's sixth-largest economy. We have a preponderance of high-tech manufacturing, as opposed to the "rust belt" manufacturing jobs that aren't coming back to the U.S. (despite what Donald promised his voters). We also have higher levels of educational attainment than the states that supported Donald.

But the hope that California will secede is just a pipe dream. There doesn't seem to be a legal mechanism for us to do so. When the South tried it, I believe it was called "treason." :)

Jackstar

Quote from: Gyoza Girl on November 12, 2016, 01:16:59 PM
There doesn't seem to be a legal mechanism for us to do so.

Quote from: Jackstar on November 11, 2016, 03:52:54 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

From the article: "As of January 2016, 21 northern California counties have sent a declaration or have approved to send a declaration to the State of California with their intent of leaving the state and forming the State of Jefferson."

I find it deliciously ironic that after blocking the proposed secession of someone else, now California wants to secede for itself.

How about y'all just go f*** yourselves and smoke some weed. Wouldn't that be nice?

zeebo

Why do you say that? Is it because California receives back only 78 cents for every $1 we pay in federal taxes? Yes, in this respect we are net losers compared to many other states. That said, we're the world's sixth-largest economy. ....

I still love Cali, but had to get out with the high cost of living, taxes, traffic, crime, etc.  I got frustrated that even with it's powerhouse economy, it was still so mismanaged by bureaucrats and has huge debt largely from unfunded liabilities.  I see it kinda like a mini-version of the federal gov't. 

Quote from: Jackstar on November 12, 2016, 02:36:09 PM
From the article: "As of January 2016, 21 northern California counties have sent a declaration or have approved to send a declaration to the State of California with their intent of leaving the state and forming the State of Jefferson."

I find it deliciously ironic that after blocking the proposed secession of someone else, now California wants to secede for itself.

How about y'all just go f*** yourselves and smoke some weed. Wouldn't that be nice?

Well, I'm in favor of the northern counties splitting off and forming a new state with the southern Oregon counties, and I'm in favor of the large coastal cities splitting off into city states if that's what they want to do.

I'm also favor of smoking some weed.

Why do you say that?...

The astronomical taxes, massive bureaucracy meddling in every aspect of our lives, crime, crumbling infrastructure, business fleeing to other states, the huge unfunded liabilities, poor people coming in for the handouts while the more wealthy leave - you know, the usual stuff that seems to follow Lib politicians wherever they go

... But the hope that California will secede is just a pipe dream. There doesn't seem to be a legal mechanism for us to do so. When the South tried it, I believe it was called "treason." :)

It would be a negotiation. 

By the way, before the 1860-61 succession it was a heavily debated issue whether a state was free to leave the Union.  Lincoln unilaterally ended the discussion.  It's hardly treason, borders change all the time.