• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Calexit

Started by WOTR, November 11, 2016, 01:40:40 AM

WOTR

This is either a thread that will be buried in the dustbin of BellGab, or one that I will drag out and resurrect in a couple of years to put on display...

Calexit- a reality? Now, I know that there will be some conservatives who say that California should go- it will free up the other states to have a Republican in office easier.  But the reality is that California is the largest economy in the US- yes, larger than the financial capital of the world, NY.

It would set a precedent and I get the feeling that it could not be allowed... But how do you force a state to stay if it demands independence?  I suppose I should mention that it is being backed by Shervin Pishevar- so another "Soros" with deep pockets.

Well, for now, there is the link to the official site, and one other...

http://www.yescalifornia.org/
http://www.businessinsider.com/calexit-explainer-california-plans-to-secede-2016-11?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

I don't want California to go.  I want a political revolution to occur there.  Maybe it will happen when the state goes bankrupt.

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 01:42:41 AM
I don't want California to go.  I want a political revolution to occur there.  Maybe it will happen when the state goes bankrupt.

its not going to go bankrupt

norland2424

Quote from: WOTR on November 11, 2016, 01:40:40 AM
This is either a thread that will be buried in the dustbin of BellGab, or one that I will drag out and resurrect in a couple of years to put on display...

Calexit- a reality? Now, I know that there will be some conservatives who say that California should go- it will free up the other states to have a Republican in office easier.  But the reality is that California is the largest economy in the US- yes, larger than the financial capital of the world, NY.

It would set a precedent and I get the feeling that it could not be allowed... But how do you force a state to stay if it demands independence?  I suppose I should mention that it is being backed by Shervin Pishevar- so another "Soros" with deep pockets.

http://www.businessinsider.com/calexit-explainer-california-plans-to-secede-2016-11?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

lol only the hippies are talking about this, the rest of us could give a damn

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:12:47 AM
its not going to go bankrupt

Yeah it will eventually with all of the freebies to illegals and such.  Money doesn't grow on trees.

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 02:16:24 AM
Yeah it will eventually with all of the freebies to illegals and such.  Money doesn't grow on trees.

lol at people who think illegals actually get freebies here

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:17:30 AM
lol at people who think illegals actually get freebies here

Welfare man.  Welfare states will eventually go under.  It may take a while but it will.

theONE

You guys are missing the point the Calexit is a code name for "the BIG ONE"
MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE that will exit Cali from the face of the Earth ,....LOL

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 02:19:36 AM
Welfare man.  Welfare states will eventually go under.  It may take a while but it will.

not a state that if it became its own country would be the 6th largest economy on the planet

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:22:37 AM
not a state that if it became its own country would be the 6th largest economy on the planet

With a high corporate tax rate undoubtedly.  Good luck luring business with that.

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 02:23:51 AM
With a high corporate tax rate undoubtedly.  Good luck luring business with that.

regardless tho, calexit is never going to happen  :D

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:26:01 AM
regardless tho, calexit is never going to happen  :D

Nah, I agree with you there.  If it ever does, look for part of northern California to secede back to the USA ala Jeffexit. lol

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 02:28:30 AM
Nah, I agree with you there.  If it ever does, look for part of northern California to secede back to the USA ala Jeffexit.

if any state tried to secede it would turn into an American civil war

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:29:33 AM

You would think.

skidder

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 02:16:24 AM

Yet some other fist world countries manage to maintain healthcare for all and a safety net for the poor and a proud sense of liberalism without the rabid rhetoric of the republicans or bankrupting their nations. 

WOTR

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:13:29 AM
The money has only begun to flow.  ;)

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:29:33 AM

Unless it was New Jersey.

theONE

"Calexit: California mulls becoming own nation in wake of Trump presidency"
https://www.rt.com/usa/366378-calexit-california-leaves-nation/
Published time: 10 Nov, 2016 23:53

**"The Golden State could become the Golden Nation if an independence referendum gets passed.
Emboldened by California’s strong economy and high population, the so-called “Calexit” could gain traction following the election of Donald Trump.
California could become an independent country in 2019 when voters hit the polls again.
The Yes California Independence Campaign believes that “being a US state is no longer serving California’s best interests”
and thinks that California would be better suited making its own immigration laws.**

...aha ...there you go !!! Cali likes to show finger to the rest of the Union

Taaroa

But how do you force a state to stay if it demands independence?

I think historically you go to war with it. Or if you're Australia, you try to ignore it for long enough that most people will have forgotten:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secessionism_in_Western_Australia

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:13:29 AM

The voters would never go for it lol. 

norland2424

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 11, 2016, 09:32:43 AM
The voters would never go for it lol.

the feds would never allow it , regardless if the state voted yes, lol and you know gunless hippies wont start a shooting war over this.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 10:45:18 AM
the feds would never allow it , regardless if the state voted yes, lol and you know gunless hippies wont start a shooting war over this.

Yeah, I don't see Alec Baldwin whipping out the AR-15 and going up against the feds. There also seems to be a secession movement forming up in my former state of Oregon. Good luck with that, if that state had to stand on its own as a republic it would turn itself into North Korea within four months but instead of a dictator they'd be worshipping a tree lol.

paladin1991

There was a little thing called the 'War of Northern Aggression' that put that little fantasy to rest. 

paladin1991

Quote from: norland2424 on November 11, 2016, 02:22:37 AM

Without federal cash to fuel the entitlement train? 

paladin1991

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 11, 2016, 09:54:07 AM
What's New Jersey ?

:D

A series of offramps for several interstate hwys.

paladin1991

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 11, 2016, 10:49:19 AM
Yeah, I don't see Alec Baldwin whipping out the AR-15 and going up against the feds. There also seems to be a secession movement forming up in my former state of Oregon. Good luck with that, if that state had to stand on its own as a republic it would turn itself into North Korea within four months but instead of a dictator they'd be worshipping a tree lol.

Oregon insurrectionists?  As they are arrested, all of their horsepower should be shared amongst all gov't agencies.  All future benefits should be immediately revoked.  Your student grant?  gone.  Your EBT card?  Zeroed out.  Your Obama phone?  Disco'd.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 11, 2016, 01:42:41 AM

If CA were a country, it would have the sixth largest GDP in the world. Higher than France, who produce $2.42 trillion as opposed to CA's $2.44 trilliion; with 6 million fewer workers. Its the highest earning state in the USA, so if momentum does get behind this, it should be taken seriously. It won't of course.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 11, 2016, 11:01:55 AM
If CA were a country, it would have the sixth largest GDP in the world. Higher than France, who produce $2.42 trillion as opposed to CA's $2.44 trilliion; with 6 million fewer workers. Its the highest earning state in the USA, so if momentum does get behind this, it should be taken seriously. It won't of course.

I actually prefer the idea that has been floated around for years. Splitting it up into red states and blue states. Then southern California and the Bay Area can leave if they wish. One time option.