• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

IBM Selectric Sightings

Started by Camazotz Automat, November 02, 2016, 04:40:00 PM

Juan

There’s one for sale at a thrift store near me.

TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3 Episode 3

Selectric II

Color: Green

bonus: Finally. An extreme close-up of the typeball in action.  You would think most directors would capture this crucial ~element~ as standard protocol.

Quote from: Juan on November 20, 2019, 03:03:45 PM
There’s one for sale at a thrift store near me.

A true "wild" sighting.  It has been several years since I saw one in a resale shop.

And what color was that bad boy, Juan?

I recently had a near miss.  A local friend notified me of one at an estate sale.  Instead of buying it for me instantly, she waited and told me several hours later. Needless to say, it was sold before I could get to it.

It was BLACK.

I already had a 3D chrome skull (w/ separate crossbones) sticker/badge picked out to put on it.

I was going to christen that son of a bitch "Jolly Roger."

The manual I have now is ridiculously old.  I use it for short notes, not writing.  A portable Underwood, found in a neighbor's* trash, in a wooden case.  I've used it for some secret missives to MV, who is a known "digester" of obscure and real font striking.

*Said neighbor was suspected by another neighbor of being a government spy, but I found no secret compartments on the Underwood.

Juan

This was one of the common beige ones.

THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN (2018)

The Selectric II in this movie was a green baby.

JOKER (2019)

An IBM Selectric II appears in the counselor's office.

ItsOver

Thank you, Cam, for continuing to pursue this noble cause.  It's one I can personally identify with and I anxiously look forward to future sightings.  March on, brave soldier!

Quote from: ItsOver on August 04, 2020, 02:51:08 PM
Thank you, Cam, for continuing to pursue this noble cause.  It's one I can personally identify with and I anxiously look forward to future sightings.  March on, brave soldier!
I appreciate your support, IO.

To quote Dickens:

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known."

And it beats the hell out of playing "Where's Waldo?"

I might have my gravestone commissioned in the form of a Selectric II.

Twice lifesize.

Each bronze key of the keyboard would feature a skull and crossed bones instead of a letter or character. Cleverly placed heavy springs under each depressible key would allow a mimicry of "typing action."

(That is to say, "evocation.")

College kids visiting my grave in the middle of the night, testing the keys:

"The quick red fox jumps over the lazy brown bat god."

All the keys strike home.

And they've unwittingly released something.

The fools!

Hahahaha hahahaha
Hahahaha hahahaha

Camazotz Automat owns this fraternity initiate! Transmigration complete!

(coughs)

Sorry.

But, yeah!

The IBM Selectric II will never die!

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 04, 2020, 04:21:17 PM
I appreciate your support, IO.

To quote Dickens:

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known."

And it beats the hell out of playing "Where's Waldo?"

I might have my gravestone commissioned in the form of a Selectric II.

Twice lifesize.

Each bronze key of the keyboard would feature a skull and crossed bones instead of a letter or character. Cleverly placed heavy springs under each depressible key would allow a mimicry of  "typing action."

(That is to say, "evocation.")

College kids visiting my grave in the middle of the night, testing the keys:

"The quick red fox jumps over the lazy brown bat  god."

All the keys strike home.

And they've unwittingly released something.

The fools!

Hahahaha hahahaha
Hahahaha hahahaha

Camazotz  Automat owns this fraternity initiate! Transmigration complete!

(coughs)

Sorry.

But, yeah!

The IBM Selectric II will never die!
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

Juan

I see there is one for sale in a suburb of Jacksonville.  $50.

ItsOver

I wonder if having a blessed Selectric is as rewarding as seeking the next media sighting.

Quote from: ItsOver on August 04, 2020, 05:24:06 PM
I wonder if having a blessed Selectric is as rewarding as seeking the next media sighting.

According to John Dee's angels, there are four gates into Eden. (Or maybe not.)

I would say owning a Selectric and spotting one in the media are two of the gates.

The other two gates?

Unknown.

I'm going to need more angel/demon fuel.

Random add

For the non Trekkie in the farflung future stumbling upon this thread and puzzled by IO attaching the Spock pic while we're talking typewriters:

“After a time, you may find that ‘having’ is not so pleasing a thing after all as ‘wanting.’ It is not logical, but it is often true.”  - Spock

I just realized what one of remaining gates is: owning a Selectric II from a specific individual. Say, if you obtained Leonard Nimoy's old Selectric that was the same shade of blue as his first officer shirt.

Huge.

RICHARD JEWELL (2019)
Light brown, in the newsroom.

Going through a dry patch right now, but I know they are out there.

They have to be.

I dislike Selectric sightings air bubbles in the hydraulic brake lines of my nostalgia.

Desperation setting in. Rough counting under-miked stenotype machines in Perry Mason episodes. The court reporter resembles a nursery ant delicately tending to a larva.

Every so often, Mason requests something to be stricken from the larva.

I'm losin' it, I tell ya.

I can't go on living in a world without Selectrics.

Ciardelo

I guess Jack Torrance's Adler from The Shining won't be satiating then...

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 06, 2020, 11:44:50 AM
I guess Jack Torrance's Adler from The Shining won't be satiating then...

y

Every little bit helps.

Any QWERTY fix to hold onto my sanity until the next Selectric Sighting recharges my soul's battery.

I have to believe.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 06, 2020, 11:20:18 AM
Going through a dry patch right now, but I know they are out there.

They have to be.

I dislike Selectric sightings air bubbles in the hydraulic brake lines of my nostalgia.

Desperation setting in. Rough counting under-miked stenotype machines in Perry Mason episodes. The court reporter resembles a nursery ant delicately tending to a larva.

Every so often, Mason requests something to be stricken from the larva.

I'm losin' it, I tell ya.

I can't go on living in a world without Selectrics.

A rather detailed dissection of a Perry Mason typewriter-focused episode.  I wonder how long it would take for the rather thorough author to complete a colonoscopy.

http://www.perrymasontvseries.com/wiki/index.php/CommentPages/Show177

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on October 06, 2020, 04:13:12 PM
A rather detailed dissection of a Perry Mason typewriter-focused episode.  I wonder how long it would take for the rather thorough author to complete a colonoscopy.

http://www.perrymasontvseries.com/wiki/index.php/CommentPages/Show177
No episode of Perry Mason can be over discussed. I see K_Dubb would be proud that Perry referenced a John Donne sonnet in his argument.

I also enjoyed the dire warning; lest the episode be spoiled.

As a side note: in the books Perry is a lot more shady. And Della's past is a bit sordid and the reason she works for him is that Perry got her out of a jam. UT had a display of Earl Stanley Gardner's office but they dismantled it a decade ago. I don't know why.

Juan

In the books it’s pretty clear Perry is hammering Della.

Back on August 26, I watched a documentary that kept the beast at bay throughout September.

I had never seen so many goddamned glorious typewriters on the screen.

Very much recommended for anyone sharing my sickness passion.

CALIFORNIA TYPEWRITER (2016)
Directed by Doug Nichol

Juan

My typewriters are manual and many need drawbands.  I need to get busy, especially on my 1926 Remington Noiseless desktop.

Quote from: Juan on October 07, 2020, 07:09:42 AM
My typewriters are manual and many need drawbands.  I need to get busy, especially on my 1926 Remington Noiseless desktop.

Speaking of low noise.

Robert Heinlein's typewriter with opened noise suppression case.

His wife referred to it as the baby coffin.

In the opening credits of THE RAY BRADBURY THEATER (currently airing on the COMET TV network), Ray is seen seated before a beautiful blue IBM Selectric.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 07, 2020, 12:55:42 PM
Speaking of low noise.

Robert Heinlein's typewriter with opened noise suppression case.

His wife referred to it as the baby coffin.

Amazing. Probably leagues louder still, than my mechanical keyboard. What a joy it would be writing things for no one to read, driving the dearest near utterly mad.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 13, 2020, 11:12:10 PM
In the opening credits of THE RAY BRADBURY THEATER (currently airing on the COMET TV network), Ray is seen seated before a beautiful blue IBM Selectric.

I grabbed the episodes off archive.org a few months ago, terrible quality. Had no idea they were still airing? The Peter O'Toole episode is such a treat.

whoozit

Found last weekend at an estate shop.