• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The most important question ever, not so much

Started by onan, October 20, 2016, 11:12:51 AM

onan

I was given a set of ceramic knives. I was told they were super sharp, they are. I was told they would cut vegetables especially potatoes, celery, and other firm vegetables more easily than my steel knives, they do not. The only thing I have noticed about them is they are more colorful than my steel knives.

Am I missing something?

whoozit

Quote from: onan on October 20, 2016, 11:12:51 AM
I was given a set of ceramic knives. I was told they were super sharp, they are. I was told they would cut vegetables especially potatoes, celery, and other firm vegetables more easily than my steel knives, they do not. The only thing I have noticed about them is they are more colorful than my steel knives.

Am I missing something?
Not really.  Some people swear by ceramic knives but I think they just don't know how to maintain and sharpen steel knives.  I think they are the type that put their knives in the dishwasher.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on October 20, 2016, 11:12:51 AM

Am I missing something?

Found this buddy...bottom post is revealing.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/135847-how-sharp-are-ceramic-knives/

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on October 20, 2016, 11:20:39 AM
Not really.  Some people swear by ceramic knives but I think they just don't know how to maintain and sharpen steel knives.  I think they are the type that put their knives in the dishwasher.

I guess they never need sharpening whereas I resharpen my steel knives about 6 times a year on average I'd say.

onan

Thanks for the info guys. So, what I have, is just something on my counter top that just takes up space. I hate it when people say thanks with gifts instead of money.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on October 20, 2016, 11:30:50 AM
Thanks for the info guys. So, what I have, is just something on my counter top that just takes up space. I hate it when people say thanks with gifts instead of money.

They're thcker bladed, don't go dull as quick (but will eventually need sharpening), and chefs kitchens tend not to use them.

ShayP

Ceramic knives are sexy.  They're best for smaller tasks.  Overall, they are a waste.  My opinion is get a carbon steel knife.  The most important thing is learning how to sharpen your knives.  Learn how to use the wet stone and avoid those hand held gizmos.  I have a carbon steel chef knife that is nearly 60 years old.  I keep it sharp and use it all the time.  It's amazing how well they do.  One good knife with a little maintenance will last you a lifetime.  ;)

ShayP

LOL!  Christmas is around the corner.  Just re-gift it.  :D

whoozit

If you ever do anything nice for me I have an old packet of Polaroid film I can give you. 

Hog

Shay's got it.  Carbon steel and a whetstone and a steel will do you forever.  Its amazing how a knife will dullen even after a couple strokes through meat.
You sharpen with the whetstone, then steel that blade to put the fine edge on her. You can progress on to stropping if you are into straightrazors and such.

peace
Hog

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on October 21, 2016, 12:40:12 AM
Third prize is, you're fired.

You, sir, have the brass balls to succeed! Now, could you give me a lift in your Cadillac if you're heading downtown?  :)

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 21, 2016, 12:45:01 AM
You, sir, have the brass balls to succeed! Now, could you give me a lift in your Cadillac if you're heading downtown?  :)

Lifts are for closers only.

pate

Quote from: Hog on October 20, 2016, 10:47:54 PM
Shay's got it.  Carbon steel and a whetstone and a steel will do you forever.  Its amazing how a knife will dullen even after a couple strokes through meat.
You sharpen with the whetstone, then steel that blade to put the fine edge on her. You can progress on to stropping if you are into straightrazors and such.

peace
Hog

In my kitchen days I was the guy into razor sharp blades, had a leather belt I used to strop the blade.   My left arm was sort of hairless because that was my sharpening test;  If I could shave my arm hairs off, it was sharp enough.  (I know gross, right?  I washed the knife before using it for food perpetration... sheesh)

I think you are supposed to use a piece of "parchment paper" to test for sharpness, think I did the shaving bit to creep-out the wait-trons and wait-tronettes.

And yeah, fuck ceramic knives

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pate on October 22, 2016, 09:02:01 AM
In my kitchen days I was the guy into razor sharp blades, had a leather belt I used to strop the blade.   My left arm was sort of hairless because that was my sharpening test;  If I could shave my arm hairs off, it was sharp enough.  (I know gross, right?  I washed the knife before using it for food perpetration... sheesh)

I think you are supposed to use a piece of "parchment paper" to test for sharpness, think I did the shaving bit to creep-out the wait-trons and wait-tronettes.

And yeah, fuck ceramic knives

No, pate. You hold the blade upside down and throw a silk handkerchief into the air. If it doesn't slice in half when it falls on the blade it isn't sharp enough yet.  ;)