• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

UAE Ship zapped by anti-ship missile in the Strait of Bab al-Mandab

Started by Walks_At_Night, October 02, 2016, 09:15:38 AM

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 10, 2016, 11:16:12 AM
Those sneaky Iranians are at it again. Trying to take out an Arleigh Burke class destroyer cruising in the Red Sea off the coast of Yemen.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/politics/yemen-us-navy-targeted/

You think if we give them another billion, they will leave us alone?

Well apparently the USS Mason may actually had to have knocked down one of the missiles fired at it.
Jeez Louise, you would think this would be bigger news than it is.  I guess Bruce Jenner's kid
taking a mirror pix of herself in her underwear is more important.

QuoteA U.S. defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the first missile triggered counter-measures from the USS Mason. It was not immediately clear whether those defenses may have helped prevent a direct hit on the ship.

The USS Mason did not return fire, the official said, adding that the incident took place just north of the Bab al-Mandab strait off Yemen's southern coast.

Reuters

Hog

Firing a missile at a US Naval ship is quite the occurence. Wars have started over less.
I havent heard anything, but it is Thanksgiving up here today.

This shouldnt be in the same thread as a UAE ship attack.

peace
Hog

Quote from: Hog on October 10, 2016, 08:54:56 PM
Firing a missile at a US Naval ship is quite the occurence. Wars have started over less.
I havent heard anything, but it is Thanksgiving up here today.

This shouldnt be in the same thread as a UAE ship attack.

peace
Hog

Well the Mason, Nitze, Ponce were moved into the Strait of Bab al-Mandab after the
former USS Swift , now UAE whatever got lit up. 

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 10, 2016, 09:02:46 PM
Well the Mason, Nitze, Ponce were moved into the Strait of Bab al-Mandab after the
former USS Swift , now UAE whatever got lit up. 

Have a great Thanksgiving!

https://news.usni.org/2016/10/11/uss-mason-fired-3-missiles-to-defend-from-yemen-cruise-missiles-attack

Last few paragraphs give analysis on the missile strike on SWIFT.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 12, 2016, 08:29:45 AM

https://news.usni.org/2016/10/11/uss-mason-fired-3-missiles-to-defend-from-yemen-cruise-missiles-attack

Last few paragraphs give analysis on the missile strike on SWIFT.

Thanks Duke.   The SM-2's run about $400k a pop I think.  Too bad that new fangled thing on the Ponce
didn't zap the incomings - I think I read that runs about 40 cents a pulse. 

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2016, 11:20:03 AM
Thanks Duke.   The SM-2's run about $400k a pop I think.  Too bad that new fangled thing on the Ponce
didn't zap the incomings - I think I read that runs about 40 cents a pulse.

They cost a few dollars, but the SM-2 blockIIIA and IIIB are really great defensive weapons. Tried and tested. And you can`t take chances with inbound high movers. You shoot everything you have until the target is neutralized. Not so sure I would trust the lives of my men to that fancy new pulse contraption. Then again, I`m old school like that.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 12, 2016, 11:36:02 AM
They cost a few dollars, but the SM-2 blockIIIA and IIIB are really great defensive weapons. Tried and tested. And you can`t take chances with inbound high movers. You shoot everything you have until the target is neutralized. Not so sure I would trust the lives of my men to that fancy new pulse contraption. Then again, I`m old school like that.

The photos I've see of the beam weapon aboard Ponce show it mounted in what amounts to a fixed casemate, as opposed to a moveable turret.  Bringing it to bear would be difficult unless the missile just happened to be coming from the right directions, or there was enough time to correctly orient the ship.

***Breaking News***

Just got a breaking news message from Reuters claiming the three US warships have again been fired on with rebel missiles. 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jackstar on October 12, 2016, 12:24:58 PM

While I agree with the sentiment Jack, the missiles in question are of Chinese design and most likely supplied to the rebels by Iran.  I doubt such weapons got to these bad guys via the Administration's arming of gooder bad guys in the past.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 12, 2016, 12:16:57 PM
The photos I've see of the beam weapon aboard Ponce show it mounted in what amounts to a fixed casemate, as opposed to a moveable turret.  Bringing it to bear would be difficult unless the missile just happened to be coming from the right directions, or there was enough time to correctly orient the ship.

***Breaking News***

Just got a breaking news message from Reuters claiming the three US warships have again been fired on with rebel missiles.

Yep
http://reut.rs/2e9MlmQ

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 12, 2016, 12:39:56 PM
While I agree with the sentiment Jack, the missiles in question are of Chinese design and most likely supplied to the rebels by Iran.  I doubt such weapons got to these bad guys via the Administration's arming of gooder bad guys in the past.
I don't know if we would supply such type of missile to them but I do recall seeing publicly available bids from the DOD a few years ago for AK magazines and 7.62x39mm bullets- that our forces or NATO doesn't use (at least in normal situations.) So why buy so much and to whom did it go? I would guess Obama's "rebels" and Iraqis- many of whom are now various versions of Al-Qaeda or ISIS- or to Kurds. And maybe special operations guys to conform with weapons in that region and/or fire would be assumed to be from locals?
https://aoav.org.uk/2016/ak47s/

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2016, 03:33:15 PM
I don't know if we would supply such type of missile to them but I do recall seeing publicly available bids from the DOD a few years ago for AK magazines and 7.62x39mm bullets- that our forces or NATO doesn't use (at least in normal situations.) So why buy so much and to whom did it go? I would guess Obama's "rebels" and Iraqis- many of whom are now various versions of Al-Qaeda or ISIS- or to Kurds. And maybe special operations guys to conform with weapons in that region and/or fire would be assumed to be from locals?
https://aoav.org.uk/2016/ak47s/

We've captured boatloads of AKs and ammo over the last 30+ years....Granada, Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq.  Makes sense to buy spare mags and ammo.

U.S. Official: Navy Fires At Radar Sites In Yemen After Navy Destroyer Was Targeted

Quote"Earlier this evening (9 p.m. EDT / 4 a.m. local time in Yemen), the destroyer USS Nitze launched Tomahawk cruise missiles targeting three coastal radar sites in in Yemen along the Red Sea coast, north of the Bab-el-Mandeb strait. Initial assessments indicate that all three targets were destroyed.

"Destroying these radar sites will degrade their ability to track and target ships in the future. These radars were active during previous attacks and attempted attacks on ships in the Red Sea, including last week's attack on the USA-flagged vessel "Swift-2", and during attempted attacks on USS Mason and other ships as recently as today.

"The three radar sites were in remote areas, where there was little risk of civilian casualties or collateral damage. ...

"All of these are in Houthi-controlled territory."

Sounds like USS San Antonio has also been targeted.  She could be carrying up to 800 Marines onboard, so she certainly would have made a juicy target for the "rebels".

Norfolk-based USS San Antonio came under missile attack with USS Mason, captain says

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 18, 2016, 08:13:12 PM
Sounds like USS San Antonio has also been targeted.  She could be carrying up to 800 Marines onboard, so she certainly would have made a juicy target for the "rebels".

Norfolk-based USS San Antonio came under missile attack with USS Mason, captain says

Sounds like pretty shitty duty for a contingent of Marines.

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 18, 2016, 08:33:29 PM
Sounds like pretty shitty duty for a contingent of Marines.

LoL   Guess they can't all guard the Embassy in Brussels or Bogotá

Uncle Duke

Dozens missing after ship sinks off Yemen's coast - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38235043

Being called an "accident", but sounds suspicious.