• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Food/Beverages On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, September 29, 2016, 05:01:15 AM

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on October 03, 2016, 04:59:24 PM
Dead 136 rolled in a carpet.

You'd be tooting hymns of something or other after that.

What about the 142? Another victim of Taco Time?

Quote from: rekcuf on October 03, 2016, 07:30:26 PM
What about the 142? Another victim of Taco Time?

That's the bad after-taste, indigestion and other stomach ailments one would prefer not to experience.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 03, 2016, 06:47:00 PM
I don't know if you're familiar with Northern Exposure or not but you sound like someone with an educate enough palette to appreciate the cooking of Adam.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6MkU3vBIw

I love cooking with herbs and spices. In fact, my porch is filled with all sorts of herbs all summer long. Even have several curry plants. Brought most in for the winter but expect most, or probably all, of them to gradually die off before the new year. Unfortunately, my thumb isn't the greenest. My patchouli, stevia and cilantro already died with an already slight chill before I even had a chance to do anything about them. The tarragon is on its way out too.

Quote from: rekcuf on October 03, 2016, 08:06:01 AM
Someone in this thread insulted my beloved Red Lobster--I'm not happy about it. In fact, I might have to quit the forum altogether. I've read some heinous material on BellGab, but this is too much. I don't think I'll be able to recover from this anytime soon.

ps: Olive Garden is okay.

I've been to each once.  And would never go back.

My 'entre' at Olive Garden may as well have been Chef-Boy-Ardee.  I'd rather have had that because it's $1.85 a can and I can get it myself in 5 minutes.

Red Lobster was horrible.  Freezing fish ruins it.  It think it was all deep fried or battered, just horrible, like eating a plate of fishy tasting bad French fries.  Someone suggested I've ordered the wrong things, or that these places vary substantially from franchise to franchise.  But why would I ever go there when I can get Thai food - and get it for less?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on October 03, 2016, 07:42:37 PM
I love cooking with herbs and spices. In fact, my porch is filled with all sorts of herbs all summer long. Even have several curry plants. Brought most in for the winter but expect most, or probably all, of them to gradually die off before the new year. Unfortunately, my thumb isn't the greenest.

It's hard to grow most herbs indoors unless you have a room that gets a lot of light or some sort of special light for them. Adam was one of my favorite characters on that show. He wasn't just a world class chef though. He was a bit of a philosopher too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb1CsfHFR_8

I grew up in the desert, so we didn't have seafood.  We ate beef and lamb mostly.

But all this talk of Italian and of seafood makes we want to go get some good San Francisco cioppino.

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 03, 2016, 02:32:45 AM
Pad Kee Mao - Thai Drunken Noodles - I love the Thai basil which is a main ingredrient in this dish...

Thai basil is also a key ingredient in phở

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 03, 2016, 07:49:26 PM
I grew up in the desert, so we didn't have seafood.  We ate beef and lamb mostly.

But all this talk of Italian and of seafood makes we want to go get some good San Francisco cioppino.

Oh, yes! Forum meetup. I'm in! (I wish.)

That looks so good. That's the sort of dish where one must have a side of bread, as well as it being the right bread, so one can sop up all that liquid goodness. We have several places around here that serve dishes like that. Some are better than others but it's so good.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 03, 2016, 07:57:34 PM
Thai basil is also a key ingredient in Pho

I love Thai Basil too but why is the most prominent flavor in every Vietnamese dish licorice though?!  Bleck! :o

akwilly

looks like a pain in the ass to eat

That looks really good too.

There's a guy here who sells all these great organic greens and they are really cheap. Unfortunately, he's only at a certain Farmer's Market on the days that I have to work so rarely get a chance to buy anything from him. He usually has all different types of basil, including Thai basil. I grow the Genovese basil (I think it's called) and purple basil when I can find it so usually don't get the cut ones from him.

My basil is still going but gradually dying off. It gets plenty of sun inside but it knows its time is getting short. I do get some great easterly sun all day long.

I live in a predominantly Italian area north of Toronto.  There are italian sandwich (panini or panino) shops every couple of blocks.  These are not the same as the panini grill sandwiches that were all the rage about 10 years ago, but heavy duty working man's sandwiches that will fill your belly for a day.

About 3/4 of a pound of veal on that, $10 bucks CDN with a can of Brio Chinotto.

Quote from: akwilly on October 03, 2016, 08:02:33 PM
looks like a pain in the ass to eat

Not as bad as it looks, except for the crab claw. That's a freaking pain but worth it if it's large enough to contain some good crab meat. The mussels and any other shell fish are very easy to deal with if you use a small seafood fork, which they 'should' provide you with. The fish pulls out easy and you then use the fork, or a spoon, to lift the shell out of the bowl and place it on or in a separate dish or container. Hopefully, the shrimp has already been peeled, as it should be. Maybe a tail left. Then you just pick that up with your fingers, eat the shrimp and discard the tail.

akwilly

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 03, 2016, 08:19:55 PM
I live in a predominantly Italian area north of Toronto.  There are italian sandwich (panini or panino) shops every couple of blocks.  These are not the same as the panini grill sandwiches that were all the rage about 10 years ago, but heavy duty working man's sandwiches that will fill your belly for a day.

About 3/4 of a pound of veal on that, $10 bucks CDN with a can of Brio Chinotto.
wow that looks freakin awesome!

akwilly

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on October 03, 2016, 08:20:11 PM
Not as bad as it looks, except for the crab claw. That's a freaking pain but worth it if it's large enough to contain some good crab meat. The mussels and any other shell fish are very easy to deal with if you use a small seafood fork, which they 'should' provide you with. The fish pulls out easy and you then use the fork, or a spoon, to lift the shell out of the bowl and place it on or in a separate dish or container. Hopefully, the shrimp has already been peeled, as it should be. Maybe a tail left. Then you just pick that up with your fingers, eat the shrimp and discard the tail.
I'm sure it's delicious. I ate something similar yesterday. It was dungy crab and spot prawns. Unfortunately there were no oysters or clams. P.S. I find unpeeled shrimp tails taste the best if cooked one at a time in a microwave for about 3 to 5 seconds. They taste better I believe because they cook in the salt water thats inside them.

Quote from: akwilly on October 03, 2016, 08:24:28 PM
wow that looks freakin awesome!
They are killer, especially with hot peppers.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 03, 2016, 06:47:00 PM
I don't know if you're familiar with Northern Exposure or not but you sound like someone with an educated enough palette to appreciate the cooking of Adam.  ;)

I remember him once saying aghast "What you didn't clarify the butter!"

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on October 03, 2016, 09:47:16 PM
I remember him once saying aghast "What you didn't clarify the butter!"

He always had the best rants. Great character, always taring up the scenery. Apparently, he was based on a real guy too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIyJ8rPL-0

K_Dubb

Quote from: akwilly on October 03, 2016, 08:30:14 PM
P.S. I find unpeeled shrimp tails taste the best if cooked one at a time in a microwave for about 3 to 5 seconds. They taste better I believe because they cook in the salt water thats inside them.

Now that is a useful tip right there.  Would never have thought of it.

Hog

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 03, 2016, 08:19:55 PM

Nice looking food there, I just wish the veal industry didnt work the way it does. Its a bit better now, but the treatment of baby veal cows isnt great.  Looks like a damn tasty sannich though.

The last Brio Chinnoto I had tasted like a cola with a hint of cigarette butts.  My Aunt Ena lovd the stuff as a kid. She came over from Itally when she was 8.

Speaking of sweet drinks, I had a glass 1/2 full of Vanilla ice cream and covered it with Orange Crush.  It was delicious, I havent had pop for quite some time.

If you are just North of Toronto, then I'm about 1 hour SouthWest of you. In between London and Kitchener.

peace
Hog

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 03, 2016, 12:20:40 PM
Here you go, Duke! Enjoy!

Snawsage Casserole

2 1/2 Cups Herb Croutons
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Can Mushroom Soup
Small Can of Mushrooms
2 lbs. Pork Snawsage, browned and drained
2 1/2 Cups Milk
4 Eggs
3/4 Tsp. Dry Mustard

Place croutons in bottom of 9x13 pan, top with cheese. Put snawsage over cheese.
Beat eggs, milk, and mustard, then add mushrooms and soup and mix them in.
Pour over everything. Refrigerate overnight and bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks Ghost, will definitely make this in the next month or so.  Mrs Duke and I both like spicy food, so may make a change or two to give it more kick.  First thought is to either replace one pound of the regular sausage with chorizo or just add a half cup of fresh ground jalapeños to your base recipe.  Thanks again,  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 03, 2016, 10:30:03 PM
Thanks Ghost, will definitely make this in the next month or so.  Mrs Duke and I both like spicy food, so may make a change or two to give it more kick.  First thought is to either replace one pound of the regular sausage with chorizo or just add a half cup of fresh ground jalapeños to your base recipe.  Thanks again,  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers, Duke! I use mildly seasoned ground pork sausage made locally, but I also like spicy and am a fan of good chorizo. Let me know what you think if you try it. I'm not sure it would work with jalapeños, though, but good luck.

Are there any ceviche lovers here? Any preferences? The best I've had was in little sodas on the Guanacaste coast in Costa Rica. Every place had its own recipe and personalized presentation, and I can't imagine ever getting tired of eating it.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 04, 2016, 12:53:18 AM
Are there any ceviche lovers here? Any preferences? The best I've had was in little sodas on the Guanacaste coast in Costa Rica. Every place had its own recipe and personalized presentation, and I can't imagine ever getting tired of eating it.

Love it. As long as they have copious amounts of cilantro and just a little more jalapenos than necessary.

I've been wary about eating it in the Caribbean and Mexico. But around here there are several places that I order it. One place adds peaches. Not sure how that got introduced, but I love peaches. Just not in ceviche. 

There is even a place here that touts their cajun ceviche. Fish, crawdad tails and alligator served in a mason jar. Once was enough.

p.s I think the best ones are when they use fish, shrimp and scallops.

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 04, 2016, 12:58:13 AM
Love it. As long as they have copious amounts of cilantro and just a little more jalapenos than necessary.

I've been wary about eating it in the Caribbean and Mexico. But around here there are several places that I order it. One place adds peaches. Not sure how that got introduced, but I love peaches. Just not in ceviche. 

There is even a place here that touts their cajun ceviche. Fish, crawdad tails and alligator served in a mason jar. Once was enough.

I'm all for the cilantro as well as onion, but I like a light touch with the jalapeños. Costa Rican ceviche is a lot different from Mexican style, and the seasoning of the marinade is everything, because it's typically a sort of cold soup with generous quantities of assorted mariscos and some onions, cilantro, and often garlic, but almost never any tomatoes or peppers.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 04, 2016, 12:53:18 AM

Best I've ever had was scallops in a very simple marinade of fresh juice, probably orange and lime, with just a pinch of cilantro and a few very thin slices of green onion from the stemmy end.  It had these tiny little threads of a very orange, searingly hot, but intensely flavorful, chile carefully distributed so you never got more than one.  I think they made it when you ordered it cuz it took forever to come out and the scallops were essentially raw.  So good I ordered three plates.

Also love poke, basically Hawaiian ceviche.  Heat from chiles and fresh ginger, too.

ItsOver

Great stuff.  Need lots of cilantro in mine.

I took this pic quite a while back of frozen slices of lime.

It's a bit of a barroom stereotype, putting a slice of lime into a bottle of Corona beer - but living the dream is living the dream - however you define it at a given moment.  Dissolve a few grains of salt into the elixir, and BAM!, you're a god.  Or a demigod.  Or a lapsed member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.†

I was tired of the limes going bad as they patiently waited until my next pursuit of any such dream living.  (Limes are saints, but given enough time, the best of fruit will eventually take the left-hand path.)

So while the line, "I saw a cryogenic lime in a Tupperware bowl," may sound mystical or symbolic or Led Zeppelin-y, it's just me pursuing the dream while it's damn hot outside.

† Go lodge #31- - !  You cliquish bastards.