• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

True Confessions Of BellGab

Started by Jackstar, September 22, 2016, 01:21:25 PM

Roswells, Art

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on June 04, 2019, 12:21:05 AM
The door is open, there lies the way.

What? You want me to bore you with reproduction quilting? Because I could do it.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 12:24:43 AM
What? You want me to bore you with reproduction quilting? Because I could do it.

I'll hold your beer.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 02, 2019, 09:40:54 AM
No, it’s just that it would be like me starting a discussion with you by starting with the fact that you’re old and overweight. It may be true but it’s irrelevant here.
I don't qualify for any senior discounts... and most of my weight needs a minimizer...  Besides, I'm happy to be a live and polycystic ovarian disorder is certainly not something I earned.  It's what inside that counts, and that's why I have you on ignore.

Jojo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 12:24:43 AM
What kind of sex is that??  Doesn't sound like the average ladies church group.

Jojo

I stole pieces of my housemate's new outdoor plant and planted them in obscure places.  Because she lets the plant die in its packaging.

Quote from: Sixteen on June 04, 2019, 12:44:17 AM
What kind of sex is that?? 

She's quite the prick tease when it comes to talking about quilting.  I'm getting blue floral square balls just sitting here waiting.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Sixteen on June 04, 2019, 12:46:36 AM
I stole pieces of my housemate's new outdoor plant and planted them in obscure places.  Because she lets the plant die in its packaging.

How are the new outdoor plants doing?

Jojo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 01:08:40 AM
How are the new outdoor plants doing?
Seems to be reproducing fine,  ;).

Jojo

Do you think it's cheating when someone just puts together the quilt faces and then mails them away to be stuffed and stitched down?  Seems like bigtime cheating to me.

Jojo

When I was a kid, I thought each quilt piece was stuffed and then they all were stitched together.  Kind of like how each piece of tuna was from (I thought) a tiny, whole fish.

Roswells, Art

I understand now. Sorry, your wording confused me for a minute. I do think it's cheating when you mail away your quilt to get the rest of it done. Unless you tell people you just did the top.

Doing just small parts of the quilt, with the stuffing and bottom isn't cheating, it's just doing what you can with what you have. People used to do them all by hand in the first place.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 01:45:50 AM
I understand now. Sorry, your wording confused me for a minute. I do think it's cheating when you mail away your quilt to get the rest of it done. Unless you tell people you just did the top.

Doing just small parts of the quilt, with the stuffing and bottom isn't cheating, it's just doing what you can with what you have. People used to do them all by hand in the first place.

Is machine-stitch permissible, or does that have to be done by hand too?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on June 04, 2019, 02:05:28 AM
Is machine-stitch permissible, or does that have to be done by hand too?

It's fine, in my opinion. There is an industry, I guess, where you just make the top of a quilt and then send it away to get the rest done by someone else. I would say 'I made this' only if I made the entire thing which includes putting the top, the insides, and the bottom together and sewed them all together.

Also, 'quilting' is not the difficult part of making the squares you see on top, the word, I think, means the sewing you do to put all the three layers together with those designs you see with thread.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 02:15:08 AM
It's fine, in my opinion. There is an industry, I guess, where you just make the top of a quilt and then send it away to get the rest done by someone else. I would say 'I made this' only if I made the entire thing which includes putting the top, the insides, and the bottom together and sewed them all together.

Also, 'quilting' is not the difficult part of making the squares you see on top, the word, I think, means the sewing you do to put all the three layers together with those designs you see with thread.

"Quilting" was the word I used to describe when I dropped a fruit on the floor in the supermarket, and buried it in the stack of the rest to hide it. 

I wasn't even close, I guess.

So the top is contiguous?  I thought that it was a bunch of pieces sewn together.

Jojo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 01:45:50 AM

Good to know! I grew up with great-grandma's ivory quilt with a patch for each state and its state flower.  Pretty nifty.

It's weird that a type of stitching for a blanket out of sheer necessity became something to "do-up" in all the fashionable ways people do them.

Jojo

I don't know what SV means, when said by a reasonable person.

Jojo

I try to keep a couple drawers empty so I can throw a mess in if company comes suddenly.  Sometimes I encounter the drawers' contents much later and am not sure at all what I am looking at.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on June 04, 2019, 02:21:25 AM
"Quilting" was the word I used to describe when I dropped a fruit on the floor in the supermarket, and buried it in the stack of the rest to hide it. 

I wasn't even close, I guess.

So the top is contiguous?  I thought that it was a bunch of pieces sewn together.

It is a bunch of pieces sewn together. I'm going to need my beer back.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Sixteen on June 04, 2019, 02:22:08 AM
Good to know! I grew up with great-grandma's ivory quilt with a patch for each state and its state flower.  Pretty nifty.

It's weird that a type of stitching for a blanket out of sheer necessity became something to "do-up" in all the fashionable ways people do them.

I'll never look at a quilt in the same way. A lot of work goes into them.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 02:25:06 AM
It is a bunch of pieces sewn together. I'm going to need my beer back.

Dude, are you looking to be interviewed?  I thought that you had so much information on the topic that you would spray us like a money shot. 

Fine, I'll find someone else who knows about quilting.  Quick Karl, if he's still around.

Jojo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 02:29:22 AM
I'll never look at a quilt in the same way. A lot of work goes into them.
Roswells, thank you for letting me speed-interview you.  Most fun I've had all night.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on June 04, 2019, 02:31:38 AM
Dude, are you looking to be interviewed?  I thought that you had so much information on the topic that you would spray us like a money shot. 

Fine, I'll find someone else who knows about quilting.  Quick Karl, if he's still around.

lol

I was being vague because I didn't think anyone was actually interested. Each block could be a thread in a forum. We have software that prints out the design for each block but you also need to know how she made them. We can go online and ask each other how to do it. So that helps. She was just sitting in a house without any phone or internet or electricity making these blocks. It's nuts.

Speaking of nuts... let me know what Karl says. I could use the help.

Jojo

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on June 03, 2019, 11:48:43 PM
"Old lady"?  What is he, a biker?  And brig is his bitch?  Wow I'm learning a lot today, and not just about quilts.
Are we very confused or did brig rob the cradle with her cougar jaws?  Can they stand each other or do they deserve each other?

Jojo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 03, 2019, 10:42:11 PM
If you're interested, this is the quilt I'm trying to make:

https://benningtonmuseum.org/portfolio-items/1863-jane-stickle-quilt/
Are the patches triangle?  Are you finding your own (print) patches or do you order replica patches?  I've never made a quilt, but they are wonderful.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Sixteen on June 04, 2019, 03:27:55 AM
Are we very confused or did brig rob the cradle with her cougar jaws?  Can they stand each other or do they deserve each other?

Shush. She's making her moves on The Groyp. Let's not get in the way.

I mean...really do you want to get in the way of that?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Sixteen on June 04, 2019, 03:31:13 AM
Are the patches triangle?  Are you finding your own (print) patches or do you order replica patches?  I've never made a quilt, but they are wonderful.

You mean the ones around the quilt? Yeah, luckily some of them are just fabric but the rest of it you have to sew the designs in. Then sew it all together. We're talking about the Jane quilt, that's not your regular quilt but what would be called a sampler. A sampler usually would be students practicing different techniques.

Jojo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 03:33:42 AM
Shush. She's making her moves on The Groyp. Let's not get in the way.

I mean...really do you want to get in the way of that?

Jojo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 04, 2019, 03:41:41 AM
You mean the ones around the quilt? Yeah, luckily some of them are just fabric but the rest of it you have to sew the designs in. Then sew it all together. We're talking about the Jane quilt, that's not your regular quilt but what would be called a sampler. A sampler usually would be students practicing different techniques.
That is quite a project!  By any chance are you an Aries?  Goodnight.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Sixteen on June 04, 2019, 04:03:16 AM
That is quite a project!  By any chance are you an Aries?  Goodnight.

No, I'm not an Aries. You have eleven guesses left.