• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

EVPs...

Started by Wintermute, August 21, 2015, 09:48:54 AM

Wintermute

The new show has overall been pretty good. But what was with the EVP folks last night?
1. Walkie Talkie phone connections.
2. Odd, old people.
3. Not exactly compelling EVP recordings.

???

saucerlike

It's a topic I enjoy, but damn near impossible to figure out any meaning to them w/out the power of suggestion.  I can never figure out what's being said, don't know how GIS comes up with their translations, honestly.  I'd love to catch something unexplained though.

henge0stone

Apparently a lot of people report that EVPs exist its just a matter of what they are, whether they be some loose radio signals, weird static, actual voices who knows. I think there is something there but like everything who really knows. The EVP shows are really entertaining though whatever they are. I think Barb is an honest person and wouldn't make this stuff up, that's just my read on her.

If you really want to see if they're real why not try it yourself? I'm going to try it myself some day when I get around to it.

saucerlike

I'd love to but a bit afraid of what I might find.  Agree with your opinion on Barbara, she's one of my top 5 Art guests bar-none. 

onan

Quote from: henge0stone on August 29, 2015, 12:56:23 PM
If you really want to see if they're real why not try it yourself? I'm going to try it myself some day when I get around to it.

If you are going to another location to record something, most likely there is already some bias built into the "experiment".

It is fun to play scary time.

It would be interesting to take already recorded EVP's and have them analyzed by professional sound engineers.

the_Stranger

I've thought about taking some recording equipment out in the field for an experiment, but don't really have anyone that would want to go adventuring with me.
Too chicken to try anything here at home out of fear of actually hearing something.

wr250

Quote from: onan on August 29, 2015, 02:15:59 PM
If you are going to another location to record something, most likely there is already some bias built into the "experiment".

It is fun to play scary time.

It would be interesting to take already recorded EVP's and have them analyzed by professional sound engineers.
such as our very own eddie-dean ?

onan

Quote from: wr250 on August 30, 2015, 07:41:02 AM
such as our very own eddie-dean ?

I didn't want to speak for him. And I don't know if his skill set would be the same. Would be awesome to have him explain techniques and the potential validity of EVP recordings.

He has spoken about some of them and room echo, but I would need much more explanation.

WhiteCrow

Apparently a lot of people report that EVPs exist its just a matter of what they are, whether they be some loose radio signals, weird static, actual voices who knows. I think there is something there but like everything who really knows. The EVP shows are really entertaining though whatever they are. I think Barb is an honest person and wouldn't make this stuff up, that's just my read on her.

Two days ago, evening, made recordings at Battle of Little Big Horn 7th Calvary Grave Site and markers where troopers had died. There is 'stuff' on recordings, what it is, I haven't a clue.
When get home from vacation will transfer recordings to a pc, and make loops of anything that shows promise.

starrmtn001

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 30, 2015, 10:48:34 AM
Two days ago, evening, made recordings at Battle of Little Big Horn 7th Calvary Grave Site and markers where troopers had died. There is 'stuff' on recordings, what it is, I haven't a clue.
When get home from vacation will transfer recordings to a pc, and make loops of anything that shows promise.
Many indigenous souls were lost here too.  You may discover your recordings hold more than you might expect.  I'm looking forward to hearing them when you have them ready for release.

Also, I've been loving your photo journal you've been keeping on your adventures. :D

chefist

Quote from: onan on August 30, 2015, 10:02:28 AM
I didn't want to speak for him. And I don't know if his skill set would be the same. Would be awesome to have him explain techniques and the potential validity of EVP recordings.

He has spoken about some of them and room echo, but I would need much more explanation.

If we go by EVP evidence, I'm convinced ghosts are mentally ill, or its a hoax...ok, you have the "energy" for a few words...what would you say? Me, "Tell my daughter I love her", "Get a life and go spend it with your family"...however, I still love the shows... 8)

gabrielle

I am usually very skeptical, but WhiteCrow...if you produce real EVPs that say something...I would be truly afraid. 

WhiteCrow

Quote from: gabrielle on August 30, 2015, 06:05:09 PM
I am usually very skeptical, but WhiteCrow...if you produce real EVPs that say something...I would be truly afraid.

I agree, I'm totally skeptical too. A couple of reasons thought I'd it a give a try. A week or so earlier heard on Art's show that cell phones can be used to record EVPs without any special external microphone, MV who is also a paranormal skeptic made some recordings and found myself at the battlefield late in the afternoon, with no other plans for rest of day.

Played the recordings while driving on the motor home's pretty good quality stereo, wife and I both agree we got something worthy of analyzing more.

Besides a few sounds that could be EVPs, only other sound recognizable, is simular to a baby's rattle.

onan

Quote from: chefist on August 30, 2015, 05:59:48 PM
If we go by EVP evidence, I'm convinced ghosts are mentally ill, or its a hoax...ok, you have the "energy" for a few words...what would you say? Me, "Tell my daughter I love her", "Get a life and go spend it with your family"...however, I still love the shows... 8)

I agree. It seems that disjointed, nonsensical, and suggestive statements are common. There seems to be no sense of situation past some variation of a specific moment. If there were the ability to communicate then some semblance of intelligence would be present. But instead of any verifiable information, emotional tidbits, that are completely up to subjective evaluation, make up the totality of evidence.

... I think Barb is an honest person and wouldn't make this stuff up, that's just my read on her...

In general, aren't the best con artists the ones with an ability to gain people's trust? 

henge0stone

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 31, 2015, 07:41:29 AM
In general, aren't the best con artists the ones with an ability to gain people's trust?

Generally con artists like to make money with their con though.

onan

Quote from: henge0stone on August 31, 2015, 02:36:40 PM
Generally con artists like to make money with their con though.

Generally, yes. But some are motivated by different primary and secondary gains.

I think/believe that the GIS team is sincere. Sincerity is not proof.

You can hear noise events louder than the EVPs before amplification.  This indicates the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio is at most one (0 db) which is less than the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_detectable_signal.  Thus there is no basis for claiming reception of an EVP signal.

Have you ever misheard song lyrics?  I've come up with such good poetry by mishearing song lyrics, that I wondered how to purposely create "found poetry" acoustic fodder.  Then I just realized that's what EVP practitioners do.  They're experts at filtering noise into misheard words.

We also have no idea what selectivity is being exercised.  How many recordings were thrown away for each one played? 

It's sad how many of Art Bell's shows result from guests deluding themselves with bad statistics.  (thinking of Dean Radin)

Also we don't know how much the backstory has retrospectively evolved to match the EVP.

In short, totally fake.

wr250

Quote from: NotoriousSpaceship on September 02, 2015, 10:41:27 AM
You can hear noise events louder than the EVPs before amplification.  This indicates the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio is at most one (0 db) which is less than the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_detectable_signal.  Thus there is no basis for claiming reception of an EVP signal.

Have you ever misheard song lyrics?  I've come up with such good poetry by mishearing song lyrics, that I wondered how to purposely create "found poetry" acoustic fodder.  Then I just realized that's what EVP practitioners do.  They're experts at filtering noise into misheard words.

We also have no idea what selectivity is being exercised.  How many recordings were thrown away for each one played? 

It's sad how many of Art Bell's shows result from guests deluding themselves with bad statistics.  (thinking of Dean Radin)

Also we don't know how much the backstory has retrospectively evolved to match the EVP.

In short, totally fake.
all that to say last night was chunga'd

Wintermute

As with many of us on here, I've been recording video and audio for decades. I challenge **any** EVP researcher to provide a good, clean recording that has been unaltered in post production, of an actual EVP.

Use this basic, quality equipment:   Zoom H4N -> Sennheiser E614's -> Shock mounts -> Boom Stands

Run your boom stands up as high as possible, with the Sennheiser E614's pointing straight down. Get them to the ceiling if possible. The supercardioid pattern + the outboard H4N will provide very good quality + very low noise. Far lower noise floor than any tape-based field recorder including DAT. E614s are pretty sensitive so two will cover a good sized area. Set the H4N to record in WAV 16bit. Make sure to use a 32gig card b/c you will be recording uncompressed waveforms.

IMO, and no offense to enthusiasts... EVP is charlatan-space unless you can provide very clean recordings that can be authenticated. Otherwise it's noise propagated by suggestion and in the worst case, manufactured.

Why Art Bell doesn't demand just a little bit of skepticism based on quality is lost on me.

ItsOver

I agree something further should be done to see if there is anything at all to the phenomenon.  I'd also like to see the "investigators" seriously pursue more than just one-off recordings and concentrate on getting a significant exchange going repeatedly.  Otherwise, it's just more of the same 'ol, same 'ol.

Wintermute

Yea, two EVP shows in two weeks. One by some older folks that "always use a new, clean cassette" and another one by someone with "mastery of advanced audio filtering techniques for enhancing faint EVP ". Both providing embarrassingly bad, noisy recordings of random WTF.

Rinse, repeat.

Bradsmith313

https://www.facebook.com/wendy.stuckrogers/videos/10207562543681503/

My friend and fellow investigator Wendy caught this on her standard digital audio recorder. Four people were present. Myself. Wendy. The client and her boyfriend. No children were present. This happened during our prelim interview with the client.

Bradsmith313

I've heard a lot of sketchy EVPs, especially those from para-reality shows. However, I've heard some good ones too.

It would be interesting to look for EVPs in pseudo-randomly generated noise.  This would rule out ghosts and show that voice-sounds (ie EVPs) occur purely by chance in noise.

Maybe it would be discovered that some (ie pink) noise is better than other (ie white) noise for finding "EVPs"?  I think this would be great research for a Master's thesis in psychology.

If we established some norms, like a background occurrence rate of on average 1 EVP of X strength/quality for Y minutes of white noise.  This could enable us to estimate the statistical significance of EVPs recorded in the field.

ziznak

Quote from: NotoriousSpaceship on September 03, 2015, 05:13:41 PM
It would be interesting to look for EVPs in pseudo-randomly generated noise.  This would rule out ghosts and show that voice-sounds (ie EVPs) occur purely by chance in noise.

Maybe it would be discovered that some (ie pink) noise is better than other (ie white) noise for finding "EVPs"?  I think this would be great research for a Master's thesis in psychology.

If we established some norms, like a background occurrence rate of on average 1 EVP of X strength/quality for Y minutes of white noise.  This could enable us to estimate the statistical significance of EVPs recorded in the field.
I might contribute to your gofundme if you follow through w this ;)

Bradsmith313

I agree.

onan

Or... common sense.

eddie dean

Quote from: Wintermute on September 03, 2015, 12:01:04 PM
As with many of us on here, I've been recording video and audio for decades. I challenge **any** EVP researcher to provide a good, clean recording that has been unaltered in post production, of an actual EVP.

Use this basic, quality equipment:   Zoom H4N -> Sennheiser E614's -> Shock mounts -> Boom Stands

Run your boom stands up as high as possible, with the Sennheiser E614's pointing straight down. Get them to the ceiling if possible. The supercardioid pattern + the outboard H4N will provide very good quality + very low noise. Far lower noise floor than any tape-based field recorder including DAT. E614s are pretty sensitive so two will cover a good sized area. Set the H4N to record in WAV 16bit. Make sure to use a 32gig card b/c you will be recording uncompressed waveforms.

IMO, and no offense to enthusiasts... EVP is charlatan-space unless you can provide very clean recordings that can be authenticated. Otherwise it's noise propagated by suggestion and in the worst case, manufactured.

Why Art Bell doesn't demand just a little bit of skepticism based on quality is lost on me.

I like the way you think.

I'd love to get ahold of raw evp audio to compare how post processing effects, enhances  or even creates the evp.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Wintermute on September 03, 2015, 12:01:04 PM

You got it.... With the EVP recordings we just made.... Something is on the tape, what it is, haven't a clue.
My mind has been active with using different  audio techniques to make them into recognizable words
With enough manipulations, I'd venture, that I would be successful.

I'll provide both pre and post manipulations of EVPs, in a few weeks, if I can turn them into recognizable words.