• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

February 21, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

February 22, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

I happened to notice that 1920 was a leap year.  Since they happen every four years it stands to reason that 2020 is a leap year also.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 22, 2020, 03:29:29 AM
I happened to notice that 1920 was a leap year.  Since they happen every four years it stands to reason that 2020 is a leap year also.
Somebody asked me that exact question last week (not if 1920 was a leap year- but if 2020 was a leap year.) Now I'm hoping somebody else asks the question. My answer to "is this year a leap year" will be "I don't know... But 1920 was ."  ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on February 22, 2020, 01:55:35 PM
Somebody asked me that exact question last week (not if 1920 was a leap year- but if 2020 was a leap year.) Now I'm hoping somebody else asks the question. My answer to "is this year a leap year" will be "I don't know... But 1920 was ."  ;)

Or you can say "I don't know... But 2120 will be." 

Rix Gins

February 23, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., February 24, 1920.

Rix Gins

February 24, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

February 25, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

February 26, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

February 27, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Why not?

100 years ago... The Spanish flu was still raging on. Lasting from early 1918 to the end of 1920.  ;)

pate

Quote from: WOTR on February 27, 2020, 03:34:40 AM
Why not?

100 years ago... The Spanish flu was still raging on. Lasting from early 1918 to the end of 1920.  ;)

Trying hard for this hear igNooronism:

"Wear wood we bee wits aught all thus laws, uh, daze of Feb>?"  -gN

Nautical... 

'bout tat Zips tho:

Something about the Gasoline Alley art reminds me of the Zippy.

they both were "reprinted" oar juxtapositioned in my local paper and there were frequen't dicks'onnets, some indecipherable, I laugheda nd went on to skooll.

Hah, I digress and derale.

Apogees, Rix!

... Shore?

-p

Rix Gins

Quote from: pate on February 27, 2020, 03:53:35 AM
Trying hard for this hear igNooronism:

"Wear wood we bee wits aught all thus laws, uh, daze of Feb>?"  -gN

Nautical... 

'bout tat Zips tho:

they both were "reprinted" oar juxtapositioned in my local paper and there were frequen't dicks'onnets, some indecipherable, I laugheda nd went on to skooll.

Hah, I digress and derale.

Apogees, Rix!

... Shore?

-p

Shore nuff, pate!

Rix Gins

February 28, 1920.  Public Domain

AZZERAE

Quote from: pate on February 27, 2020, 03:53:35 AM

ú dig da Pinhead + franKing, cheque oot dis fella.

Rix Gins

March 1, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

March 2, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

Quote from: Flyingmerkitty on March 02, 2020, 08:57:40 AM
Did you skip leap day on purpose?
https://digital.bentley.umich.edu/midaily/mdp.39015071755701/709

Nice link, thanks.  No, I just didn't have the time to do much searching for something to post.   

Rix Gins

March 3, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

March 4, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

March 5, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 05, 2020, 03:28:40 AM
March 5, 1920.  Public Domain

Thanks. Now you are sending me on a mission to look at when ethylene glycol started being used. Surely they were not using straight water and alcohol in cast iron blocks?

Rix Gins

Let us know what you find out.  Good old wood alcohol.  Due to prohibition, a lot of alcoholics who couldn't get the real thing would resort to drinking the stuff.  If they drank too much they would be killed outright, or their optic nerves would get fried and they would become blind.  Is that what the mechanic was referencing in the cartoon?

Rix Gins

March 6, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 06, 2020, 03:43:08 AM
Let us know what you find out.  Good old wood alcohol.  Due to prohibition, a lot of alcoholics who couldn't get the real thing would resort to drinking the stuff.  If they drank too much they would be killed outright, or their optic nerves would get fried and they would become blind.  Is that what the mechanic was referencing in the cartoon?

Yes, it was used as an antifreeze for quite some time in the early days of automobiles. It sounds like my concern for the cast blocks was well-founded.

from crankshift... "The biggest issue with alcohol as an antifreeze is that its presence can actually accelerate the corrosion of metal engine components that it comes into contact with. These early water cooling systems were also open, which allowed the alcohol to evaporate over time. If it wasn’t constantly topped up, the engine could overheat, or the coolant could freeze."

(Of course, personal experience tells me that uninhibited EG is also corrosive to metal. To the point where it is considered an "allied petroleum product" and has special considerations around storage. Perhaps they added some inhibitors to early wood alcohol as well?)

The first semicommercail ethylene glycol plant was set up in 1917 with the first large scale commercial plant following in 1925.

Again, from crankshift. "Ethylene glycol was first used as an automotive antifreeze in 1926, and it saw widespread use in military applications during World War II. After the war, it became the dominant chemical antifreeze "

So really, you are looking at the mid 40's before glycol really caught on.

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on March 06, 2020, 04:56:21 AM
Yes, it was used as an antifreeze for quite some time in the early days of automobiles. It sounds like my concern for the cast blocks was well-founded.

from crankshift... "The biggest issue with alcohol as an antifreeze is that its presence can actually accelerate the corrosion of metal engine components that it comes into contact with. These early water cooling systems were also open, which allowed the alcohol to evaporate over time. If it wasn’t constantly topped up, the engine could overheat, or the coolant could freeze."

(Of course, personal experience tells me that uninhibited EG is also corrosive to metal. To the point where it is considered an "allied petroleum product" and has special considerations around storage. Perhaps they added some inhibitors to early wood alcohol as well?)

The first semicommercail ethylene glycol plant was set up in 1917 with the first large scale commercial plant following in 1925.

Again, from crankshift. "Ethylene glycol was first used as an automotive antifreeze in 1926, and it saw widespread use in military applications during World War II. After the war, it became the dominant chemical antifreeze "

So really, you are looking at the mid 40's before glycol really caught on.
Great report, WOTR, thanks.  It must have kept the boys at Gasoline Alley busy, having to top off everybody's radiators all the time.

Rix Gins

March 8, 1920.  Public Domain