• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rock On! John B. Hosts Rockers This Saturday

Started by ffernandez15, October 12, 2012, 02:17:00 PM

ffernandez15

Here is the description of Saturday Night's show:

"In separate hours, 4 classic rock musicians, Paul Rodgers of Bad Company & Free, Leslie West of Mountain, Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane, and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull will discuss living through the heyday of rock, and what it was like being at the forefront of a musical movement that is still significant today. Hosted by John B. Wells. "

Well, no Alex Jones, Quayle, John Birchers, which is fine. But......no Ted Nugent???

Jethro Tull was a favorite of mine during the 70s - looking forward to Ian Anderson. :)

Eddie Coyle

I commend Wells on this. I consider all four worthy of their exalted status, and know that Ian Anderson and Leslie West tend to be really entertaining interviews. Leslie was a regular on  Howard Stern many a moon ago(pre-Hollywood/Hamptons Howie) I'm sure people will whine about it not being a "C2C topic", but it beats the shit out of the Liberty Lobby crud we've received far too often from Wells.

Juan

Digitech

I always imagined that this type of show/topic would be more of Wells style. I think I will actually listen to this show, which would be the first time in at least 6 months that I've tuned in to C2C.

MV/Liberace!

i would find paul rodgers to be the most interesting of the guests since 1) i do enjoy badco and 2) badco was the only act ever to sign with zeppelin's swan song label (other than zeppelin themselves in latter years), so badco was very closly associated with zeppelin (of whom i'm a ridiculous fan).  it was at zeppelin/badco manager peter grant's funeral that robert plant encouraged paul rodgers and the other guys in badco to get back together and stop with the fucking hideous replacement singers... and they obliged.

George Noory often has very similar shows after the other hosts do something new. 

So get ready for a roundtable-behind -the door 'classic show' with Jughead of the Archies, Danny Bonadouche of the Partrudge Family, Josie from Josie and the Pussycats, Peter Tork of the Monkees joining George and his music advisors Pat and Debbie Boone.

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 12, 2012, 04:38:09 PM
George Noory often has very similar shows after the other hosts do something new. 

So get ready for a roundtable-behind -the door 'classic show' with Jughead of the Archies, Danny Bonadouche of the Partrudge Family, Josie from Josie and the Pussycats, Peter Tork of the Monkees joining George and his music advisors Pat and Debbie Boone.

;D  Noory is so "with it."  ;)  Georgie would be taking every opportunity to talk about his mind-blowing musical talent.  I agree that this Saturday's show should be something more up Wells' alley.  Definitely preferable to more conspiracy crap.

Sardondi

Holy crap! Just coming up with this idea an going through with it is enough for me to listen. What a fresh concept! Anything to breathe some new life into a tired show. I have to give John B. the benefit here. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on October 12, 2012, 04:07:40 PM
i would find paul rodgers to be the most interesting of the guests since 1) i do enjoy badco and 2) badco was the only act ever to sign with zeppelin's swan song label (other than zeppelin themselves in latter years), so badco was very closly associated with zeppelin (of whom i'm a ridiculous fan).  it was at zeppelin/badco manager peter grant's funeral that robert plant encouraged paul rodgers and the other guys in badco to get back together and stop with the fucking hideous replacement singers... and they obliged.

Actually, Swan Song had Dave Edmunds in the late 70's and released two albums from a band called Detective, with Michael Des Barres on vocals and Mike Monarch from Steppenwolf on guitar and Tony Kaye from Yes on keyboards. Not bad really...but tough to find.

Paul Rodgers is one of the very,very few rock vocalists whose voice/range is still incredibly strong, almost on par with how he sang 40 years ago. Why his solo career never took off is a mystery to me, he had success in England in the 90's, but couldn't get arrested over here.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 12, 2012, 10:59:33 PM
       Actually, Swan Song had Dave Edmunds in the late 70's and released two albums from a band called Detective, with Michael Des Barres on vocals and Mike Monarch from Steppenwolf on guitar and Tony Kaye from Yes on keyboards.

you're right.  actually, there were a few others in addition to those you mention.  i had no idea.  i don't recall where i got the idea of zeppelin/bad company being swan song's only artists.  perhaps it was in hammer of the gods.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on October 13, 2012, 12:52:21 AM

you're right.  actually, there were a few others in addition to those you mention.  i had no idea.  i don't recall where i got the idea of zeppelin/bad company being swan song's only artists.  perhaps it was in hammer of the gods.
In fairness, Bad Company were the only Swan Song act (besides Zep) to actually sell records and in terms of singles sales, Bad Co outperformed Zep from 74-79. I think Swan Song would have gotten more attention but Plant had his car wreck in '75, then his kid died a few years later, and Page was becoming a serious junkie. Even if Bonham didn't die...I have a hard time seeing them last that far into the 80's because Page and Plant's musical interests were pretty far apart. In Through The Out Door had songs that only Jones/Plant worked on...unthinkable a few years before.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 13, 2012, 01:22:29 AM
        In fairness, Bad Company were the only Swan Song act (besides Zep) to actually sell records and in terms of singles sales, Bad Co outperformed Zep from 74-79. I think Swan Song would have gotten more attention but Plant had his car wreck in '75, then his kid died a few years later, and Page was becoming a serious junkie. Even if Bonham didn't die...I have a hard time seeing them last that far into the 80's because Page and Plant's musical interests were pretty far apart. In Through The Out Door had songs that only Jones/Plant worked on...unthinkable a few years before.

many people see in through the out door as a jones solo album for the above stated reasons.

i saw jones on his zooma tour in chicago back in 2000.  by far the best concert i've ever seen.  i was about 5 feet away from him the entire show.  i couldn't believe it.

Quote from: MV on October 13, 2012, 08:44:27 PM

many people see in through the out door as a jones solo album for the above stated reasons.

i saw jones on his zooma tour in chicago back in 2000.  by far the best concert i've ever seen.  i was about 5 feet away from him the entire show.  i couldn't believe it.
An underrated album, no doubt.  I've always thought Fool in the Rain was Bonham's best work.  Jones was also underated IMHO, bet it was a great show.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on October 13, 2012, 08:44:27 PM

He's an incredible musician, his resume before Zep was truly impressive. I was put off by the Page-Plant projects from 1994-98 not including him. We get it-"Zeppelin died with Bonham" but they screwed him,IMO. Though Jones wryly pointed out how they replaced him with an orchestra.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 13, 2012, 09:45:36 PM
          He's an incredible musician, his resume before Zep was truly impressive. I was put off by the Page-Plant projects from 1994-98 not including him. We get it-"Zeppelin died with Bonham" but they screwed him,IMO. Though Jones wryly pointed out how they replaced him with an orchestra.
I too have always been miffed at the insulting oversight of Jones/Baldwin, even by his own people (like in The Song Remains The Same, which from the amount of time Jones is shown on camera you'd think LZ was a trio). Jones was the true musician of the group. As much as I love them (and today I listen to LZ more than any other group), Page was primarily a guitarist even if a virtuoso, and Plant was a rock star; which just aren't the same as being musicians with a solid foundation in musical theory.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 13, 2012, 09:45:36 PM

what's simultaneously hilarious and sad is the fact that page/plant supposedly wanted to "move past" the zeppelin thing, yet they released an album entitled no quarter (ironically named after THE definitive john paul jones song) and went around touring with set lists comprised of 85% zeppelin songs.  jones said in an interview back in those days something along the lines of, "one minute they're showing me pictures of their kids (page/plant), and the next minute they're not returning my phone calls."

without jones and bonham, zeppelin would have been just another 70s rock band.  i think jones in particular was what made zeppelin so unique and special. 

he was the quintessential professional.  in his earlier pre-zeppelin career as a session bassist, jones was the bass player producers sought out when they wanted james jamerson but couldn't get james jamerson.  that alone says something.

he and bonham were the only two members whose abilities didn't decline with time... and in bonham's case, this was despite copious alcohol consumption and drug use.  plant's voice was blown out by 76 (and has never recovered, as i see/hear it), and page was so strung out on heroin he could hardly function.  during the ITTOD sessions, bonham and page routinely failed to show up.  when the dust cleared, a beautiful album was produced... but the painful path to completion illustrated that the end was near.

if one knows music (beyond playing it as background filler to avoid uncomfortable moments), one must worship at the altar of john paul jones.

MV/Liberace!

oh, and some quick trivia:

the guitar intro on celebration day (off of led zeppelin III) was played by jones on a steel guitar.

the sudden drum/bass fade in was an engineering mistake.

Eddie Coyle

Great point about the utter irony of "No Quarter" for the '94/95 comeback. That song and "In The Light" are just two examples of Jones alchemy, and absolutely putting them on a plane far above mere "hard rock" and things like "Carouselambra" were very out there and brave. . I can't picture Zeppelin without him, even in the early days-what he added on organ to the debut-"Communication Breakdown" and "Your Time Is Gonna Come" were crucial,IMO. And this was a period were Page was openly stealing ideas from everybody from Jake Holmes to Willie Dixon to Bert Jansch.

Unfortunately, he'll always be "number four" in terms of popularity by the lunkheaded classic rock radio obsessives who just want to hear "Stairway" for the millionth time. Like Sardondi pointed out, in the 1976 movie, Jones was featured the least and by a safe distance.

Jones came from an era(1966-1975) where bass players were often versatile and sometimes the musical director. Guys like McCartney, Jack Bruce, Felix Pappalardi,John Entwistle, Chris Hillman, Stanley Clarke, Roger Waters...Gene Simmons(just kidding) but some very popular bands-The Doors, Traffic, CSN wouldn't let the bass player be a part of the nuclear band.

Quote from: MV on October 13, 2012, 10:33:06 PM

... plant's voice was blown out by 76 (and has never recovered, as i see/hear it), ...

I hear what you're saying, but I think his post LZ career is pretty solid - better than Paul McCartney's, for example.  Band of Joy is a great album, and I have C2C (Wells) to thank for turning me on to it.  While his voice has certainly changed, I think it has held up pretty well when you consider he was belting out tunes in smokey arenas since before we were born.

ziznak

I have to say that mr page and bohnam have contributed more than many to this wonderful realm of music.... they rank with the sabbaths and stones and in my eyes are the parents of all forms of metal... I cannot talk shit on any of the old school parents that birthed the many breeds of deathmetal, gorecore, and the genre's that I've grown to love and played along with throughout my life...  The stories told by these musicians and the thoughts that launched they're many great songs are the things of legend... these guys are the last of the true rockstars... nothing like them will ever exist again.

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on October 13, 2012, 10:33:06 PM
(Insightful analysis of Jones's place in Led Zep and history.)

Very well said. You've encapsulated the "John Paul Jones Problem". Oh, and I completely agree about Plant's voice.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 13, 2012, 10:58:56 PM...Jones came from an era(1966-1975) where bass players were often versatile and sometimes the musical director. Guys like McCartney, Jack Bruce, Felix Pappalardi,John Entwistle, Chris Hillman, Stanley Clarke, Roger Waters...Gene Simmons(just kidding) but some very popular bands-The Doors, Traffic, CSN wouldn't let the bass player be a part of the nuclear band.

I'd never thought about that, but you make an excellent point.

Oh, and your avatar -  a palpable hit, I confess it. It's just one in a line of lagniappes - little unexpected pleasures, all the more enjoyable because they're almost throwaways, and never looked for until the eye/brain catches something a little out of the ordinary. Thanks for the treat.

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 13, 2012, 11:07:01 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I think his post LZ career is pretty solid - better than Paul McCartney's, for example. 

I love me some Band on the Run.

As a side note, since we are talking about LZ. I was listening to Coda (which I like more than the other LZ albums) and a friend of mine with several LZ albums asked me what was playing...

So the question I have is are there any big bands where you felt one of their "flop" albums was actually really good?
Say LZ and Coda or Fleetwood Mac and Tusk. Pink Floyd and Animals etc.

McPhallus

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 13, 2012, 11:07:01 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I think his post LZ career is pretty solid - better than Paul McCartney's, for example.  Band of Joy is a great album, and I have C2C (Wells) to thank for turning me on to it.  While his voice has certainly changed, I think it has held up pretty well when you consider he was belting out tunes in smokey arenas since before we were born.

I'd have to agree with this.  I've been a fan of his for many years.  Even if his voice did "blow out" after 1976 (which I'm not sure I agree with), he's still light years beyond a vast majority of vocalists.  His first two albums "Pictures at Eleven" and "Principle of Moments," despite their flaws, are great historical pieces from the early 80s.

McPhallus

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 14, 2012, 07:34:24 AM

As a side note, since we are talking about LZ. I was listening to Coda (which I like more than the other LZ albums) and a friend of mine with several LZ albums asked me what was playing...

So the question I have is are there any big bands where you felt one of their "flop" albums was actually really good?

For me, it's "The Final Cut" by Pink Floyd.  It's almost a Roger Waters solo album, with its sometimes gut-wrenching self-indulgence and preoccupation with war and politics. 

Also, "Blah Blah Blah" by Iggy Pop.  It qualifies more as a "guilty pleasure" than "really good." It's Bowie-esque synth-pop and has the kind of lyrics you'd expect from 1986, but it has some great guitar and synthesizer work.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 14, 2012, 05:32:47 AM

Oh, and your avatar -  a palpable hit, I confess it. It's just one in a line of lagniappes - little unexpected pleasures, all the more enjoyable because they're almost throwaways, and never looked for until the eye/brain catches something a little out of the ordinary. Thanks for the treat.

Thanks, I stumbled across that image about 4 years ago while looking for a gift for my wrestling fanatic brother. I was so taken with it that I printed it out and went to a local custom T-Shirt designer. For 50 bucks I got two of them...well worth it.

Inevitably, and predictably-the only negative comment I ever received on that shirt was from some Birkenstocks wearing Amy Goodman lookalike in Harvard Square. Something about the "athropomorphizing and trivialization of violence" and I laughed in her quite dour face and told her that I regretted not having Jake LaMotta's Id at times.

Animals is one of my favorite Floyd albums, top three with Wish You Were Here and ... Hmm, might even be second favorite.  Going to Battersea power station was a highlight of a rock and roll tour/ pub crawl of London a few years ago, right up there with Abbey Road and having a piña colada at Trader Vic's and trying to steal a menu from Lee Ho Fooks (they sell them, but where is the fun in that). Couldn't find the place where the cover of Solo in Soho was shot, though.

Eddie Coyle

That's a great question(and subject of writing class project for me many years ago)

Here's my list of "bombs"(critically or commercially) that were actually very good-underrated.

Lou Reed, Berlin, 1973
          David Bowie, Diamond Dogs, 1974
          Pete Townshend, All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes, 1982
          Deep Purple, Come Taste The Band, 1975
           Black Sabbath, Born Again, 1983
           Alice Cooper, Goes To Hell/Lace And Whiskey/From The Inside(1976/77/78)
          The Band  Stage Fright, 1970
           Blood Sweat and Tears  3, 1970
           Mountain Twin Peaks , 1974
           Frank Zappa You Are What You Is, 1981
           Bob Dylan New Morning 1970, Street Legal, 1978  Infidels, 1983
           Yardbirds, Little Games, 1967
            Al Kooper You Never Know Who Your Friends Are, 1969
            Edgar Winter, Entrance, 1970
            Miles Davis, On The Corner, 1972
            MC5     High Time, 1971

Juan

I thought I was the only person in the world who remembered "You Never Know Who Your Friends Are."  I thought it was a great album.  I saw Kooper and that band at the second Atlanta International Pops Festival over the July 4th weekend in 1969.  (A lot of folks claim the festival was the first Atlanta festival, but there had been one the previous year in Piedmont Park).  I thought Al was great, but probably overshadowed by Dave Brubeck and Gerry Mulligan, and by the closing set of Blood Sweat and Tears playing with Janis Joplin.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 14, 2012, 11:21:09 AM
           That's a great question(and subject of writing class project for me many years ago)

Here's my list of "bombs"(critically or commercially) that were actually very good-underrated.

Lou Reed, Berlin, 1973
          David Bowie, Diamond Dogs, 1974
          Pete Townshend, All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes, 1982
          Deep Purple, Come Taste The Band, 1975
           Black Sabbath, Born Again, 1983
           Alice Cooper, Goes To Hell/Lace And Whiskey/From The Inside(1976/77/78)
          The Band  Stage Fright, 1970
           Blood Sweat and Tears  3, 1970
           Mountain Twin Peaks , 1974
           Frank Zappa You Are What You Is, 1981
           Bob Dylan New Morning 1970, Street Legal, 1978  Infidels, 1983
           Yardbirds, Little Games, 1967
            Al Kooper You Never Know Who Your Friends Are, 1969
            Edgar Winter, Entrance, 1970
            Miles Davis, On The Corner, 1972
            MC5     High Time, 1971     

That was.....*sniff* just beautiful. Thank you.