Started by SergeantMajor, June 05, 2018, 03:38:31 PM

Should this thread be stickied?

No
Yes

Voting closes: November 02, 2045, 02:04:40 AM

Corona Kitty

Heather sounds like a complete idiot.

jedimiller

Heather Wade HATE SPEECH will not be tolerated on any internet website.

WOTR

If you are referring to username- I believe he is just following the new, popular, leftist teachings and "speaking his truth."  ;)

Corona Kitty

Quote from: jedimiller on August 05, 2019, 11:40:56 PM

Call the police.

Epaphroditus

Quote from: Pizzapunch on August 06, 2019, 06:57:15 AM
Guest booking really must not be going well

I disagree , doing her own booking allows her to screen thru the political / religion hucksters  , fake doctors , and conspiracy inventors that populate the other shows .

These first few weeks appear to be filled with those guests who were booked during the meltdown shows .

Epaphroditus

Quote from: jedimiller on August 05, 2019, 11:40:56 PM

By ignoring you , HW is practicing hate speech .

little sean and vc got more attention .

Pizzapunch

Quote from: Epaphroditus on August 06, 2019, 07:56:09 AM
I disagree , doing her own booking allows her to screen thru the political / religion hucksters  , fake doctors , and conspiracy inventors that populate the other shows .

These first few weeks appear to be filled with those guests who were booked during the meltdown shows .
Honestly, I feel like she's going after the more low hanging fruit and frequent flyers. It's telling to me that all the faithful guests have been on consecutively, rather than spread out amongst new blood. I could be wrong, but I'm more interested in seeing what she books that isn't already familiar to the show. There's been nobody that I'd describe a a real "get" thus far.

DynamoHum

Quote from: Epaphroditus on August 06, 2019, 07:58:31 AM
By ignoring you , HW is practicing hate speech .

little sean and vc got more attention .

Miller is a persona non grata as far as Heather is concerned I think. Expunged from the memory bank. 

Lilith

Quote from: DynamoHum on August 06, 2019, 08:30:56 AM
Miller is a persona non grata as far as Heather is concerned I think. Expunged from the memory bank.

Milluh tried so hard. Poor thing.

DynamoHum

Quote from: brig on August 06, 2019, 08:46:54 AM
Milluh tried so hard. Poor thing.

Not enough crossing the palm with the dinari.

artbell_ghost

Quote from: Pizzapunch on August 06, 2019, 08:10:06 AM
Honestly, I feel like she's going after the more low hanging fruit and frequent flyers. It's telling to me that all the faithful guests have been on consecutively, rather than spread out amongst new blood. I could be wrong, but I'm more interested in seeing what she books that isn't already familiar to the show. There's been nobody that I'd describe a a real "get" thus far.

give it time. going to be some epic guests real soon and topics no one else covers as well as she does

AZZERAE

Quote from: artbell_ghost on August 06, 2019, 10:45:14 AM
going to be some epic guests real soon and topics no one else covers as well as she does

Too bad her voice and delivery is so shit.

artbell_ghost

Quote from: DynamoHum on August 06, 2019, 08:30:56 AM

this is the truth as i know it too. its my mission to reconcile their #friendship but so far the burden has been very hard to bare

millar it might help if you posted a video letting heather know you are a listener first and fan of the show. tell all other interests come second. she thinks you have wronged priorities

artbell_ghost

Quote from: AZRAA on August 06, 2019, 10:47:05 AM
Too bad her voice and delivery is shit.

you’re not wrong but good guests can make the difference

AZZERAE

Quote from: artbell_ghost on August 06, 2019, 10:49:14 AM

How do you know so much “insider information”? Do you make it up?

Metron2267

Quote from: artbell_ghost on August 06, 2019, 10:49:14 AM

If that were true MITD would be a big thing like Jimmy Church.

Heater needs to hawk coffee or cinnabons.

K_Dubb

Quote from: AZRAA on August 06, 2019, 10:47:05 AM
Too bad her voice and delivery is so shit.

I give her a lot of crap about her pronunciations and stuff but that is just me trying to find something interesting about her show.  As for vocal fry, I'm on the west coast and every woman her age talks like that so I'm used to it.  As far as I am concerned she makes herself understood and that is good enough.

Her main issue is one of posture:  she'd rather be a guest than a host and is thus a poor proxy for the inquisitive and skeptical listeners who formed much of Art's audience.  Her shallow knowledge of esoterica is painfully exposed over the hours she has to fill which leaves her with a handful of people of similar depth for whom woo is little more than a Halloween costume.

The situation is not unlike (bear with me on this) recorder players in baroque and early music performances.  Now the recorder (under the various names with which they try to disguise it: flauto diritto, flauto dolce, blockflute, etc.) is an indispensable part of the early instrumentarium but it is not a serious instrument and even the best players have problems with wobbly pitch and intonation when they get excited or demonstrative.

Nevertheless there are a lot of ensembles led by recorder players, which is contrary to the practice several hundred years ago when the violin was the serious instrument of the concertmaster (and dancing master) who is now relegated to making sure everyone is in tune.  There really was no such thing as a recorder player back then; they usually switched as needed from the oboe when the composer wanted a rustic coloration, which gives you some idea of how they thought of the instrument -- it was a peasant toy.

I don't know if this is because, while all the serious musicians are practicing, the recorder player has time for backslapping and gladhanding his way into prominence or whether they are simply naturally gregarious and well-liked among the dour fiddlers who form the bulk of the orchestra, but inevitably they tend to program concerts and cds featuring their instrument which would lead you to believe that the repertoire for recorder is huge.  It's not; they just play the Telemann a-minor suite over and over which is why there are probably 30 recordings of it while the rest of his vast oeuvre remains in the shadows.

The problem carries over into performance, too -- the recorder is high and comparatively loud, so the musicianly thing is to worry about blending in and not dominating.  Not so; otherwise-fine performances are ruined by the recorder's facile vamping and gratuitous toodling (did I mention those pitch problems?) running roughshod over the ensemble.  They can't help themselves because playing it is easy and fun.  Listening to it is not.

Mostly I wanted to gripe about recorders, but the point really is that just because it's fun and easy for you to talk (about yourself, mostly) doesn't mean other people want to hear it.

artbell_ghost

Quote from: AZRAA on August 06, 2019, 11:00:55 AM
How do you know so much “insider information”? Do you make it up?

no i wish sometimes it was made up but i was lucky enough to survive the original facebook group purge with some friends that had become good friends with heather. i have a seat at the table and occasionally my ideas are merged into larger hive mind thoughts but usually i listen and promote the good happening. the funny thing is you have heard my voice one time on heather’s show when it was mitd and one time before the last hiatus and was made fun of here on bellgab but i know you all don’t mean it personally and there was truth in the takedown!

artbell_ghost

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 06, 2019, 11:55:52 AM
I give her a lot of crap about her pronunciations and stuff but that is just me trying to find something interesting about her show.  As for vocal fry, I'm on the west coast and every woman her age talks like that so I'm used to it.  As far as I am concerned she makes herself understood and that is good enough.

Her main issue is one of posture:  she'd rather be a guest than a host and is thus a poor proxy for the inquisitive and skeptical listeners who formed much of Art's audience.  Her shallow knowledge of esoterica is painfully exposed over the hours she has to fill which leaves her with a handful of people of similar depth for whom woo is little more than a Halloween costume.

The situation is not unlike (bear with me on this) recorder players in baroque and early music performances.  Now the recorder (under the various names with which they try to disguise it: flauto diritto, flauto dolce, blockflute, etc.) is an indispensable part of the early instrumentarium but it is not a serious instrument and even the best players have problems with wobbly pitch and intonation when they get excited or demonstrative.

Nevertheless there are a lot of ensembles led by recorder players, which is contrary to the practice several hundred years ago when the violin was the serious instrument of the concertmaster (and dancing master) who is now relegated to making sure everyone is in tune.  There really was no such thing as a recorder player back then; they usually switched as needed from the oboe when the composer wanted a rustic coloration, which gives you some idea of how they thought of the instrument -- it was a peasant toy.

I don't know if this is because, while all the serious musicians are practicing, the recorder player has time for backslapping and gladhanding his way into prominence or whether they are simply naturally gregarious and well-liked among the dour fiddlers who form the bulk of the orchestra, but inevitably they tend to program concerts and cds featuring their instrument which would lead you to believe that the repertoire for recorder is huge.  It's not; they just play the Telemann a-minor suite over and over which is why there are probably 30 recordings of it while the rest of his vast oeuvre remains in the shadows.

The problem carries over into performance, too -- the recorder is high and comparatively loud, so the musicianly thing is to worry about blending in and not dominating.  Not so; otherwise-fine performances are ruined by the recorder's facile vamping and gratuitous toodling (did I mention those pitch problems?) running roughshod over the ensemble.  They can't help themselves because playing it is easy and fun.  Listening to it is not.

Mostly I wanted to gripe about recorders, but the point really is that just because it's fun and easy for you to talk (about yourself, mostly) doesn't mean other people want to hear it.

i learned much during this reading

WOTR

On the other hand, people buy CD's (do they still buy CD's?) or otherwise pay for recordings featuring recorder players. Those players have an audience, and are paid for their appearances. The same can be said of certain hosts who talk (mostly about themselves.)

So long as people are willing to pay for the product, and there is an audience, there will be a show.

Much like your despised recorder (and the bagpipes)- there may not be any actual fans... But the droning will go on.

*I have to say that I was unaware that the recorder still was featured in anything approaching "professional" music. I assumed it had been relegated to elementary school band class...

albrecht

I would imagine being a music teacher is painful enough simply because most students are not yet proficient on their instrument so lots of out of key, mistakes, general antics of kids, etc- but why do public schools add insult to injury and require them to have kids learn to play the recorder? No wonder teachers often drink. What next force teachers to have them play the kazoo or one of those annoying African horns that we heard when the World Cup was in South Africa?

Recorder Gab?

Now that is not what I was expecting...................

I'm game though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB77t0U9Gf4

Lilith

I'm crushed.  ...After all that practicing I did.

Quote from: brig on August 06, 2019, 04:58:08 PM

I know Brig.  That beast.  You had it almost perfect.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew0jUmpJV7g

K_Dubb

Quote from: brig on August 06, 2019, 04:58:08 PM

Now this is bellgab, dear, and you must take your lumps like everyone else.