• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

area51drone

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 17, 2014, 01:37:07 AM
Maybe they have too many drug addicts, gunshot victims, car crash victims, drunks, and orthopaedic patients to deal with, rather than a remote possibility of catching Ebola?

Is it a low chance that it will show up?  Yes.  But the workers already deal with  drug addicts, gunshot victims, car crash victims, drunks, and orthopaedic patients on a daily basis, it's not as if they have to be reminded how to care for those people.

God forbid they at least mention it in an email or something.  Nothing, zilch, nada.   It's not as if they (the employees) aren't interested in it.  I think the real situation is that, probably, the hospital brass doesn't know what to tell the workers, so rather than give wrong information that could lead to being sued, they keep their mouths shut and hope that lightning doesn't strike.    But it's not just their hospital - there must be hospitals all over the nation in the same predicament, and when another ebola patient shows up in one of these places we'll have another Dallas Presbyterian on our hands.

Lt.Uhura

It's interesting that MV moved Ebola to the Politics board.  I see the political climate of hatefulness and divisiveness in the US as the greatest threat to our well-being.  Our horribly dysfunctional politicians--from both sides--flinging blame, pointing fingers and posturing--and the news media providing play-by-play commentary!...Whether the threat is a communicable disease, an unprecedented super storm, or an attack from Mars; we all bleed red (no pun intended). Death doesn't discriminate between right and left, or lines drawn on a map. 

I don't think I belong here in the Politics section... :-\

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: area51drone on October 17, 2014, 02:11:51 AM

God forbid they at least mention it in an email or something.  Nothing, zilch, nada.   It's not as if they (the employees) aren't interested in it.  I think the real situation is that, probably, the hospital brass doesn't know what to tell the workers, so rather than give wrong information that could lead to being sued, they keep their mouths shut and hope that lightning doesn't strike.    But it's not just their hospital - there must be hospitals all over the nation in the same predicament, and when another ebola patient shows up in one of these places we'll have another Dallas Presbyterian on our hands.

Many hospitals are now offering PPE "donning & doffing" inservices to employees, typically run by the Infection control department under the guidance of your county health department.  Hospital administrators are not getting their hands dirty, so why wait for them to schedule classes?  Tell your family member to contact the hospital Infection control dept. and/or your county health department. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 17, 2014, 02:13:17 AM
It's interesting that MV moved Ebola to the Politics board.  I see the political climate of hatefulness and divisiveness in the US as the greatest threat to our well-being.  Our horribly dysfunctional politicians--from both sides--flinging blame, pointing fingers and posturing--and the news media providing play-by-play commentary!...Whether the threat is a communicable disease, an unprecedented super storm, or an attack from Mars; we all bleed red (no pun intended). Death doesn't discriminate between right and left, or lines drawn on a map. 

Reason, concilliation and balance have no place here. Don't go.

Juan

We are in a time when politicians are interested only in politics - not in governing.

VtaGeezer

Obama has appointed a career political insider lawyer, Ron Klain, as Ebola Czar Chief Flack. A terrible choice.  Klain's another fucking Harvard lawyer; a "message guy" who's biggest claim to fame was prepping Gore and Biden for debates.  This guy will only be red meat for all Obama's enemies and will spend all his time on political defense.  I'm sure he's brilliant, but he's never run anything that had a real world function.  The job should go to someone of military flag-rank with the no-nonsense attitude like Gen. Russell Honore who took over recovery efforts after Hurricane  Katrina, focused on problems, and kicked bureaucratic asses. This very very disappointing.

The General

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
Obama has appointed a career political insider lawyer, Ron Klain, as Ebola Czar Chief Flack. A terrible choice.  Klain's another fucking Harvard lawyer; a "message guy" who's biggest claim to fame was prepping Gore and Biden for debates.  This guy will only be red meat for all Obama's enemies and will spend all his time on political defense.  I'm sure he's brilliant, but he's never run anything that had a real world function.  The job should go to someone of military flag-rank with the no-nonsense attitude like Gen. Russell Honore who took over recovery efforts after Hurricane  Katrina, focused on problems, and kicked bureaucratic asses. This very very disappointing.

Oh dear God.
How about someone with some medical knowledge?
An epidemiologist?  A nurse?  Someone certified in CPR?  Something?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on October 17, 2014, 10:09:18 AM
Oh dear God.

"Helluva job, Klainie"

paladin1991

Oh dear God.
My son was a Cub Scout.  He can do CPR.

The General

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 17, 2014, 10:19:56 AM
My son was a Cub Scout.  He can do CPR.
Can he read a teleprompter?
He's in.

VtaGeezer

Oh dear God.
I don't think an MD is necessary. This is a logistics and coordination job. Needs leadership and understanding of how real stuff happens and works.  Hard to fathom so bad a choice...unless no one else would take the job.

The General

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 10:23:03 AM
I don't think an MD is necessary. This is a logistics and coordination job. Needs leadership and understanding of how real stuff happens and works.  Hard to fathom so bad a choice...unless no one else would take the job.
Proper logistics and coordination of this job will require an understanding of how a virus spreads, and how to stop it from spreading, something even the CDC seems to be confused about.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 17, 2014, 02:13:17 AM

Talk radio and Fox News have made everything a test of ideology patriotism.  Middle America isn't comfortable questioning what they learned from Walt Disney and John Wayne. The collapse of the US will be traced back to the end of the Fairness Doctrine in broadcasting.

[attachimg=1]

Eeeeeebolaaa!

VtaGeezer

Quote from: The General on October 17, 2014, 10:29:40 AM
Proper logistics and coordination of this job will require an understanding of how a virus spreads, and how to stop it from spreading, something even the CDC seems to be confused about.
I disagree.  CDC has top notch epidemiologists coming out its ass. And the warned us long ago. They have reams of protocols.  What they don't have is a wartime sense of urgency.  Or adequate funding.  Or authority to IMPOSE the protocols. Those come from Congress and the President.  But potential epidemics on computer models don't move voters.  Bodies do. This whole business reminds me in a way of the admin fuck-ups and political gotcha games that lead to Pearl Harbor.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 10:34:45 AM
Talk radio and Fox News have made everything a test of ideology patriotism.  Middle America isn't comfortable questioning what they learned from Walt Disney and John Wayne. The collapse of the US will be traced back to the end of the Fairness Doctrine in broadcasting.
That damn Republican tea-party President! Still issuing visas and accepting travelers and immigrants infected with Ebola! Keeping an open-border to allow who knows how much other diseases (for cheap worker wages, damn Republicans)! And, finally under pressure during another golf outing (typical Republican playing an elitist sport that hurts the environment), appointing an unelected Ebola Czar to over see his outbreak (those Republicans are happy because it kills blacks often) with great experience as a political hack and attorney. I hate those tea-partiers. We need to eliminate free speech and appoint another unelected Czar to over-see all media and conversations and stifle any political dissent or opinion.

The General

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 10:49:36 AM
I disagree.  CDC has top notch epidemiologists coming out its ass.

Is that why they tell people to go ahead and fly on a commercial jet when they've been exposed to ebola and you have a fever?  Is that why they seem to be 2 weeks behind at every step, constantly backtracking and apologizing for mistakes?  Is that why they couldn't contain ONE case of ebola?  One case, now three.  What the CDC has coming out of it's ass isn't top notch anything, it's a steady stream of projectile bullshit.

Yes, that was when the monopoly of news and near total control of information by the Liberal Big Media ended to a certain extent. 

The success of Rush and the others wasn't due to them being able to persuade the American people of an ideology, it was because they were finally hearing the truth told by someone who validated their already formed principles and opinions. 

The Un-Constitutional, anti-free speech, so-called 'Fairness' Doctrine' wasn't thrown on the scrap heap until 1987.  Rush wasn't syndicated with a national show until August of 1988, near the very END of Reagan's term.  Reagan carried 49 states in 1984, so the country was already Conservative and understood they were being constantly lied to by Big Media. 

Rush didn't create 'ditto-heads', they were already out there waiting for honest media.  The end of the 'Fairness' Doctrine didn't bring on dishonest media, it counter-acted it

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 09:46:24 AM

Disappointing?, yes.  Surprising?, not in the least.  Predictable?, pretty much

Everything this guy does is political, and it sure seems like everything he does and doesn't do is calculated to bring on more harm and destruction to this country.  Maybe people have examples of this not being the case?

Gd5150

The collapse of the US will be traced back to the end of the Fairness Doctrine in broadcasting.

Haha lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, they'll eventually get it done. They tried for national healthcare for 50 years before they finally shoved it through despite having 60% of the country opposed to it. When it's comes to Democrats trying to give the govt control over everything, it's a never ending battle. They just need to rename it the freeness and patriotism doctrine for fairness and feel goodness. Their crap policies never go away, they just get new names. How else would obama have a 2000 page national healthcare law already written the day he took office. He didn't write it. The prewritten laws which encompass their failed ideas travel inside a politic football with each candidate.

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 17, 2014, 11:12:39 AM
... their failed ideas...

You mean the ones they don't campaign on, but can't wait to implement?  The ones not being mentioned in the current campaign season?

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 17, 2014, 11:12:39 AM
Haha lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, they'll eventually get it done. They tried for national healthcare for 50 years before they finally shoved it through despite having 60% of the country opposed to it. When it's comes to Democrats trying to give the govt control over everything, it's a never ending battle. They just need to rename it the freeness and patriotism doctrine for fairness and feel goodness. Their crap policies never go away, they just get new names. How else would obama have a 2000 page national healthcare law already written the day he took office. He didn't write it. The prewritten laws which encompass their failed ideas travel inside a politic football with each candidate.

Did you know homelessness was caused by Reagan, went away under Clinton, came back under W, and went away again when Obama was elected (they must have all gotten those 'shovel-ready' jobs)? 

At least that's how it would appear to anyone relying on Media coverage.  Just one small example.

Yorkshire pud

Behind the USA and the UK in providing aid to West Africa: UK; 700 staff 750 beds, US 280 staff  and 3200 troops  is..........in third place? 

Cuba; sending  165 staff. Little Cuba.

UN is wanting £600 million ($900 million) invested in the crisis, but so far only had just over a third delivered.

I hate it when you all get on a tear so early in the morning.

Canada has donated a massive 35 million and made promises to President Obama to supply more support, because the Ebola outbreak in Africa has so much to do with Canada-US relations.  Yeah Canada!

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 16, 2014, 11:20:49 PM

Yes, but how many of them were illegal seizures of power?  Answer:  None - Reagan was an honorable man who believed in his Constitutional role. 

Of course, you have evidence to back that assertion and aren't just presenting wishful thinking or opinion as fact as you have in the past. 

In fact, when you have time, maybe you can address a couple of other issues you raised awhile back and never completely answered, such as how Woodrow Wilson was so powerful that he forced the 17th Amendment upon the nation, yet was not powerful enough to prevent the ratification of the 18th, which he strongly opposed, and the names of the Muslim Brotherhood members you claimed are working in the Department of Homeland Security.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 17, 2014, 11:35:14 AM
Canada has donated a massive 35 million and made promises to President Obama to supply more support, because the Ebola outbreak in Africa has so much to do with Canada-US relations.  Yeah Canada!

You need to protect your southern and western borders buddy.. You can't have those foreigners invading when they turn into zombies. Seriously.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 17, 2014, 11:38:16 AM
Of course, you have evidence to back that assertion and aren't just presenting wishful thinking or opinion as fact as you have in the past. 

In fact, when you have time, maybe you can address a couple of other issues you raised awhile back and never completely answered, such as how Woodrow Wilson was so powerful that he forced the 17th Amendment upon the nation, yet was not powerful enough to prevent the ratification of the 18th, which he strongly opposed, and the names of the Muslim Brotherhood members you claimed are working in the Department of Homeland Security.

When you post like that, I get a strange fizzing feeling inside...feels sooo good.

Carry on.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: albrecht on October 17, 2014, 10:50:12 AM
That damn Republican tea-party President! Still issuing visas and accepting travelers and immigrants infected with Ebola! Keeping an open-border to allow who knows how much other diseases (for cheap worker wages, damn Republicans)! And, finally under pressure during another golf outing (typical Republican playing an elitist sport that hurts the environment), appointing an unelected Ebola Czar to over see his outbreak (those Republicans are happy because it kills blacks often) with great experience as a political hack and attorney. I hate those tea-partiers. We need to eliminate free speech and appoint another unelected Czar to over-see all media and conversations and stifle any political dissent or opinion.
Your hysteria is noted.  As is your perpetual hair-on-fire nonsense of premature travel bans and pipe-dream of "sealed borders".  We've been trying to seal the fucking borders for 40 years. Under Ds and Rs, in times of high terrorist threat. Couldn't do it. Never will. The full force of the US military couldn't seal the Afghan or Iraqi borders. Its a talk radio fantasy.

Perverse as it sounds, if your wishes were in place, the US medical establishment would still be complacent and its unpreparedness hidden from the public. If Duncan hadn't been issued a visa, some other Ebola carrier would inevitably have penetrated your "sealed border", and under your scenario would have been illegal and stayed hidden from authorities while spewing copious amounts of Ebola virus freely for days if not weeks.  Where would Dallas be had that happened?  Considering the unpreparedness, incompetence and ass-covering we've seen in the 3 weeks since Duncan walked in to an ER seeking care, where would we be all be?

I'm disappointed at Obama's choice, but his appointment of a political message guy is just another manifestation of the ultra-politicization of everything and the new American reality that a President's first obligation is political cover.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/10/17/canada_to_add_new_measures_in_ebola_fight_harper_says.html

QuoteObama said he didn’t actually have a philosophical objection to such a [travel] ban if it meant keeping Americans safe, and he didn’t rule out imposing one in the future.

But he said that all the expert advice he’d received, so far, suggested that a ban would probably do more to hurt, not help, in stopping the spread.

Following a meeting with advisers at the White House, Obama said travel restrictions could lead to people breaking up their travel, to use third countries to hide the fact that they’d been in an affected area.

“And as a result (of a travel ban) we may end up getting less information about who has the disease,” Obama told reporters.

“They’re less likely to get treated properly, screened properly, quarantined properly. And as a consequence we could end up having more cases rather than less... It is currently the judgment of all those who have been involved that a flat-out travel ban is not the best way to go.