• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Detroit man walks 21 miles to work a day

Started by nooryisawesome, February 04, 2015, 12:35:25 AM

This story tells why I still love my home state of Michigan. There are tons of hard working people there not looking for a government hand out.

Quote(CNN)There are tiring commutes. And then there's James Robertson's commute.  The 56-year-old Detroit man walks 21 miles every weekday as part of his journey to and from the factory where he works.James Robertson, far right, walks 21-miles to and from work each day. Monday, along with friend Blake Pollack, Robertson met Evan Leedy, who helped raise more than $200,000 for him to buy a new car.James Robertson, far right, walks 21-miles to and from work each day. Monday, along with friend Blake Pollack, Robertson met Evan Leedy, who helped raise more than $200,000 for him to buy a new car.  EXPAND IMAGE"I never thought anything I did would garner this much attention," Robertson said.
Robertson takes the bus some of the way, but for the past decade, ever since his car broke down, he has trudged the better part of a marathon each workday. Rain, snow or shine.
After reading about Robertson's commute in a Detroit Free Press article from over the weekend, college student Evan Leedy was moved. Like Robertson, the 19-year-old lives and works in two counties, so he spends a great deal of time commuting himself. But Leedy has a car. 
Leedy decided to set up an online fundraiser to buy Robertson a new car.
"My first car cost $3,000," Leedy said, "So I set the goal at $5,000. Within an hour, we'd raised $2,000."
Leedy's fundraiser on GoFundMe has blown past its original goal, reaching more than $257,000 by Tuesday evening.
Robertson, in a video message posted on the Free Press website, gave thanks.
"Everybody calls me the inspiration, but to those who have been great enough to donate and everything ... it was really so welcome that I don't know what to tell you," he said. "You guys are the heroes."'A true American hero'Comments on the page from people donating money suggested that the story of Robertson's dedication to getting to work had tapped into a deep well of public feeling.
"Thank you for inspiring me and hopefully tons of other people to persevere in the face of adversity," said a contributor by the name of Kevin LeMelle. "You are a true American hero."
"We could use more men like James Robertson in this world," wrote a donor named Betty Blanchard.
Blake Pollack identifies with the strangers' words of support. He first spotted Robertson during his own work commute a year and a half ago.
"Climbing over snow banks, when it was pouring down rain in the summer," Pollack said, "Whatever the weather, he was there."
Pollack approached Robertson, who told the financial executive his story. Pollack promised to give him a ride the next time he saw him. 
"Two to three months later, I saw him on a corner," Pollack remembered, "And I asked if he needed a ride to work."
Pollack estimates he's given Robertson between 40 and 50 rides since then, and the two men from vastly different worlds have formed an unlikely friendship. 
The pleasure, Pollack said, has been all his. 'I set our attendance standard by this man'"I'm the lucky one," Pollack said. "Driving him around isn't a chore, it's a reward."
Pollack said Robertson is inspirational and funny, adding that his work ethic puts anyone to shame.James Robertson.James Robertson."I set our attendance standard by this man," Todd Wilson, plant manager at the engineering factory, told the newspaper. "I say, if this man can get here, walking all those miles through snow and rain, well I'll tell you, I have people in Pontiac 10 minutes away and they say they can't get here -- bull!"
Robertson apparently has a perfect attendance record. He earns $10.55 an hour, not enough to save up to buy, insure and operate a car in the city, according to the newspaper.
With the online donations now topping $200,000, Robertson, Pollack and Leedy met together for the first time Monday night. The overwhelming support has extended beyond money -- and several car dealerships have offered to give him a vehicle outright.
"Now that [the effort] is so big, there's so much more to think about," Leedy said.
There are, unfortunately, people who want to take advantage of Robertson's newfound celebrity and his generosity, Pollack said. He put together a team that includes an attorney from a large law firm in Michigan, a CPA and a certified financial planner that he says will ensure the donation money is handled appropriately and in a way that best serves Robertson.
"This money that is being given to him -- he earned every penny of it," Leedy said, just by his work ethic and his attitude. 
He's been making the arduous 21-mile journey from Detroit to Rochester Hills since his 1988 Honda Accord gave up on him.
The donations mean that Robertson's mode of transportation will likely soon be changing, and without the long commute, he'll probably be getting a lot more sleep. But he loves where he works, so he has no plans to change much else.
"I can't imagine not working," Robertson said. "It's what I've always done."
Robertson, in his message, said he never expected as much support as he has received. He encouraged people to look out for one another.
"If this story will touch at least one person and inspire them to do something out of the goodness of their heart, I will be the happiest person alive," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/03/us/detroit-man-walks-21-miles-for-daily-commute/index.html

"So even if the rest of the world sees our region as a failure, we know better. We know hard work will keep it going. And it will turn around. Just keep watching."
- Ernie Harwell

Zoo

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 04, 2015, 12:35:25 AM
This story tells why I still love my home state of Michigan. There are tons of hard working people there not looking for a government hand out.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/03/us/detroit-man-walks-21-miles-for-daily-commute/index.html

"So even if the rest of the world sees our region as a failure, we know better. We know hard work will keep it going. And it will turn around. Just keep watching."
- Ernie Harwell

I think it is a bunch of bullshit. Although [/color]walking speeds can vary greatly depending on a multitude of factors such as height, weight, age, terrain, surface, load, culture, effort, and fitness, the average human walking speed is about 5.0 kilometers per hour (km/h), or about 3.1 miles per hour (mph). When I wrecked my car I walked to college which was only 7 miles away 14 round trip which took me about 2 hrs and 15 mins one way which is a 4 hrs and 30 mins add that to a 8hr day that is 12hrs and 30 mins a day. This is only 7 miles away. Now you starting to see why I am calling it bullshit. Now the town he works in is exactly 21 miles one way.This is from the edge of Detroit to Rochester Hills. Now you telling me a man that is 57 years old is walking 21 miles one way which would take at the very less 14hrs one way. You know a round trip would be 28 hrs. So how did he work; when their is only 24 hrs in a day. This is why I call Bullshit but feel free to prove me wrong!!1

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 04, 2015, 12:35:25 AM

- Ernie Harwell

It's a great story. I even kicked in a few dollars through the Donate site. Even though he is from that state up north. God bless him. I hope he makes a million dollars out of this thing.

Zoo

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 08, 2015, 04:10:14 PM

It's a great story. I even kicked in a few dollars through the Donate site. Even though he is from that state up north. God bless him. I hope he makes a million dollars out of this thing.

I am sorry you fell for this. Did you ever think of the math? Go walk a mile tomorrow and time your self. After that do the math of how long it would take to walk 21 miles then add 8hrs (for a average day of work) then add the time of 21 miles again and then tell me how he did this. The fast mile ever ran on earth was 3 minutes 42 seconds. The average human can walk around 3.1 mph does the math add up!!1

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Zoo on February 08, 2015, 09:55:51 PM

I am sorry you fell for this. Did you ever think of the math? Go walk a mile tomorrow and time your self. After that do the math of how long it would take to walk 21 miles then add 8hrs (for a average day of work) then add the time of 21 miles again and then tell me how he did this. The fast mile ever ran on earth was 3 minutes 42 seconds. The average human can walk around 3.1 mph does the math add up!!1

You have never been so right. It's an absurd story, it's already been exposed that he rides buses during his commute.

I used to walk 2 and half miles to work every day. Took 45 minutes at least..(there's 90 minutes back and forth to work-*clearly I was MIT mathematician in this phase of employment) And I walk fairly briskly. And co-workers thought it crazy to walk that far. This 21 miles a day tale is dubious at best.

Quote from: Zoo on February 08, 2015, 04:03:42 PM

I think it is a bunch of bullshit. Although [/color]walking speeds can vary greatly depending on a multitude of factors such as height, weight, age, terrain, surface, load, culture, effort, and fitness, the average human walking speed is about 5.0 kilometers per hour (km/h), or about 3.1 miles per hour (mph). When I wrecked my car I walked to college which was only 7 miles away 14 round trip which took me about 2 hrs and 15 mins one way which is a 4 hrs and 30 mins add that to a 8hr day that is 12hrs and 30 mins a day. This is only 7 miles away. Now you starting to see why I am calling it bullshit. Now the town he works in is exactly 21 miles one way.This is from the edge of Detroit to Rochester Hills. Now you telling me a man that is 57 years old is walking 21 miles one way which would take at the very less 14hrs one way. You know a round trip would be 28 hrs. So how did he work; when their is only 24 hrs in a day. This is why I call Bullshit but feel free to prove me wrong!!1

All indications are that this man is a sincere, humble, hard-working, decent guy. Do I believe he walks 21 miles to work one way? Of course not. But, I do believe he has a pretty tough slog to earn 10 clams an hour holding down a -- in my humble opinion -- horrid job. And he makes the best of it, compiling a perfect attendance record WITHOUT BITCHING AND MOANING. I like that...alot! He can have a 20 spot from me any day!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 08, 2015, 10:13:50 PM
       it's already been exposed that he rides buses during his commute.

Where did you find that information? What`s your source? I`d be interested to know.

Quote from: Zoo on February 08, 2015, 04:03:42 PM

He never said he didn't take the bus. He said he walks for a longer period of time than rides the bus. Even the article points out that he rides the bus but the route isn't direct and he has to walk a long period of time.

Its a real Noory thing to do to call someone a bullshitter or liar without even knowing the fulls story

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/01/31/detroit-commuting-troy-rochester-hills-smart-ddot-ubs-banker-woodward-buses-transit/22660785/

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 09, 2015, 12:05:24 AM

Where did you find that information? What`s your source? I`d be interested to know.

Google News search had an update from Monroe Evening News website saying that he takes a bus and the route ends at a certain point he supposedly walks the remainder of the route.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 12:11:06 AM
     Google News search had an update from Monroe Evening News website saying that he takes a bus and the route ends at a certain point he supposedly walks the remainder of the route.

Again this is no new information. I am not sure why you think he lied or this is some sort of great gumshoe work by you. It was literally provided in every article I read about the story. It is not as if he is catching the bus directly to work, or even connecting different buses. Do you realize how difficult it is to walk 3 miles let alone more than that in the Michigan cold?

He walks at least 12 miles round trip. That is rough.

Like I said, of course he can`t commute 42 miles on foot, but I admire his perseverance none-the-less. ESPECIALLY at his age. God bless him. I hope he can now look forward to retiring soon with some damn dignity.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 09, 2015, 12:16:24 AM
Again this is no new information. I am not sure why you think he lied or this is some sort of great gumshoe work by you. It was literally provided in every article I read about the story. It is not as if he is catching the bus directly to work, or even connecting different buses. Do you realize how difficult it is to walk 3 miles let alone more than that in the Michigan cold?

The only thing worse than having to walk that far every day in the traffic, snow, wind, rain, and cold is riding the bus.

In Detroit?? You damn right it is!

Mr. Roberston alone can`t possibly fully restore my faith in mankind, but he does present an inspiring diversion from the chronic cynicism.

Bravo Zulu.

Eddie Coyle

You started this thread to blow Michigan above all, so if it comes out this guy walked 12 blocks, your idiotic tune won't change. So, it's gone from 21 to "at least 12 round trip". Wow, how Stakhanovite.

70 inches of snow the past two weeks where I live. Cry me a river about the cold of Michigan.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 12:33:06 AM
     You started this thread to blow Michigan above all, so if it comes out this guy walked 12 blocks, your idiotic tune won't change. So, it's gone from 21 to "at least 12 round trip". Wow, how Stakhanovite.

70 inches of snow the past two weeks where I live. Cry me a river about the cold of Michigan.

FUCK OFF, its not my fault you live in a house with gay Santa Clause. The story was always he rode the bus just because your too much of a fucking moron to have any reading comprehension is your fault.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 12:33:06 AM

From the orginal article

QuoteRobertson takes the bus some of the way, but for the past decade, ever since his car broke down

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 09, 2015, 12:43:21 AM
FUCK OFF, its not my fault you live in a house with gay Santa Clause. The story was always he rode the bus just because your too much of a fucking moron to have any reading comprehension is your fault.

It's you're.

And it's Claus. Other than that, you probably are what constitutes a Mensa candidate in Michigan.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 12:48:37 AM
     It's you're.

And it's Claus. Other than that, you probably are what constitutes a Mensa candidate in Michigan.

Go quit another show, deadbeat.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 09, 2015, 12:51:43 AM
Go quit another show, deadbeat.

A deadbeat is somebody with bad credit who can't afford a car.

Like the fella you started this thread about. Is his name Bill Avoider?

Anyways, I win. I'm not near Detroit.  ;D

ksm32

He wasn't WALKING!

What the story does NOT inform us about is that he is extremely deformed.  He IN FACT was born with his hands growing into his feet. Thus born shaped as a wheel :-\   When you say he "walked"? You are wrong, he in fact ROLLED to work, and it was all down hill.

If you are going to report such stories PLEASE do your fucking homework.  I am furious with you for this >:(

..unless you really look like your avatar..grgrgrgrgrgr

Catsmile

Haven't read every post in this thread, so forgive if I repeat whats already been covered.

When I heard the 21 miles a day claim, my brow furrowed a little as the numbers clunked around in my noggin. When the smoke cleared a few seconds later, I deduced that the mileage was just sensationalist journalism.

Which doesn't diminish the larger point of the story, he is one of the millions of unsung hero's in America. Someone who gets up and goes to work everyday without fail. No matter what obstacles, he plays the cards hes dealt with a silent dignity. He embodies the American spirit that made this land so great and prosperous. Bless him and all his ilk.

As time pressed on, and this feel good story bubbled in and out of my consciousness. Just like 3 day old fish it began to really smell. At first I couldn't put my finger on why. Once the 3 day old fish smacked me in the face, a feeble bulb flickered to life.

With the limited information I have at hand. I can only conclude 2 things. Neither have been discussed so far. The man really sucks at budgeting, if he can't afford a car. The second much larger conclusion, if the first isn't correct. I hesitate to bring up because this isn't the right sub-board. Why can't a man who has worked at one company. Without missing a day of work for over a decade not earn enough, to do better than depend upon kindness of strangers? Not enough prosperity to trickle down? What happened to America? We still have great Americans as the story points out, so that part hasn't changed.  :-X

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 12:54:54 AM
   A deadbeat is somebody with bad credit who can't afford a car.

Like the fella you started this thread about. Is his name Bill Avoider?

Anyways, I win. I'm not near Detroit.  ;D

Actually, you lose for being a quitting jackass.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 09, 2015, 01:49:43 AM
Actually, you lose for being a quitting jackass.

Yes, the GIF is the crutch of the mediocre mind who lacks the ability to posit their own words with the slightest hint of depth or creativity.

And the "I really dig chicks, I mean it!" avatar throws no one off the scent of your faggery.

Catsmile

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 01:55:25 AM
    Yes, the GIF is the crutch of the mediocre mind who lacks the ability to posit their own words with the slightest hint of depth or creativity.

And the "I really dig chicks, I mean it!" avatar throws no one off the scent of your faggery.

Goddamit, you pegged me. NO HOMO!
I love seeing you get riled up. Again, no homo.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Catsmile on February 09, 2015, 02:07:25 AM
Goddamit, you pegged me. NO HOMO!

You were never a suspect.

However, the mongoloid child from Michigan with his avatar of what appears to be from the Swimsuit issue of Inside Sports from '92...he's definitely a Mattachine Society member in good standing.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 02:12:31 AM

However, the mongoloid child from Michigan with his avatar of what appears to be from the Swimsuit issue of Inside Sports from '92...he's definitely a Mattachine Society member in good standing.

Actually, is was you who made the references to skin magazines of a bygone era. Obviously, it is you who is who is trying to throw people off the trail.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 25, 2014, 11:48:55 PM
     May 9, 1987. A warm, sunny Saturday afternoon. 11 year old Coyle and 2 chums(all of our younger brothers celebrating First Communion that day)  we find a treasure trove of most every Playboy/Penthouse of 1981-mid 1986. Included was the September '84 issue of which you speak. Which became contraband about a year prior.

Do I still have those 20 or issues from that spring Saturday 27 years ago? OF FUCKIN' COURSE.

Catsmile

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 09, 2015, 02:26:02 AM
Why doesn't this guy buy a bicycle?

That crossed my mind for a moment too.
He may not know how to ride a bike.
It would also be harder to get a ride to the bus, and the bus may not accommodate bicycles.
Snow and ice mixed with cars = short lifespan on the road with a bike.   

zeebo

Look I walk 21 feet to the fridge every day, to get my tasty strawberry-vanilla yogurt, with which to start my day.  We all have our crosses to bear.

Quote from: Catsmile on February 09, 2015, 01:49:07 AM
Haven't read every post in this thread, so forgive if I repeat whats already been covered.

When I heard the 21 miles a day claim, my brow furrowed a little as the numbers clunked around in my noggin. When the smoke cleared a few seconds later, I deduced that the mileage was just sensationalist journalism.

Which doesn't diminish the larger point of the story, he is one of the millions of unsung hero's in America. Someone who gets up and goes to work everyday without fail. No matter what obstacles, he plays the cards hes dealt with a silent dignity. He embodies the American spirit that made this land so great and prosperous. Bless him and all his ilk.

As time pressed on, and this feel good story bubbled in and out of my consciousness. Just like 3 day old fish it began to really smell. At first I couldn't put my finger on why. Once the 3 day old fish smacked me in the face, a feeble bulb flickered to life.

With the limited information I have at hand. I can only conclude 2 things. Neither have been discussed so far. The man really sucks at budgeting, if he can't afford a car. The second much larger conclusion, if the first isn't correct. I hesitate to bring up because this isn't the right sub-board. Why can't a man who has worked at one company. Without missing a day of work for over a decade not earn enough, to do better than depend upon kindness of strangers? Not enough prosperity to trickle down? What happened to America? We still have great Americans as the story points out, so that part hasn't changed.  :-X

Sure, let`s stick a microscope up the poor man`s 6 and see if we can uncover the slightest whiff of indecorousness. Please.

By all accounts, this is an honorable, decent man who is doing the very best he can under much less than ideal circumstances -- to say the least.

I believe this latest article may shed some light on exactly why he can not afford to keep a vehicle in MoTown (insurance $900/month?!).

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/02/06/robertson-car-commuter-detroit/22988565/

"And now I know that prayer works" Mr. Robertson said.

Yes, it sure does, brother 8)