Quote from: Asuka Langley on January 22, 2021, 07:57:20 PM
>implying that will ever happen

[FREE SHIT INTENSIFIES]

That’s because of

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 07:24:05 PM
a corrupt, entrenched bureaucracy.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 22, 2021, 07:35:23 PM
Yes that is how we had it, too, dinner was always in the evening except Sundays after church, which was the only day we had supper.  Although funnily at church there were church suppers, never dinners, no matter what time or day of week.
I'll give credit where it is due. One thing that impressed me, and maybe it has changed Celtic Tiger and EU meddling all that, was that the Irish still had family dinners with multiple generations and not just on Sunday.

And why we just get some pancakes at the church when the Roman-types have all kinds of drunken debauchery and high-jinx before Lent? Irish funerals are also epic. Versus dour ceremonies. I, quite seriously, was told "I won't be in for a few days because my uncle died." I expressed concern and wondered if he needed to travel etc. "No, just'll be feeling like shite and need a coupla days of sleep." They, basically, drink themselves to oblivion telling stories about the deceased, then fight, collapse, find assignations, or whatever.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 07:59:07 PM
That’s because of
"Entrenched bureaucracy" is a clever euphemism and redundant.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 22, 2021, 08:10:59 PM
I'll give credit where it is due. One thing that impressed me, and maybe it has changed Celtic Tiger and EU meddling all that, was that the Irish still had family dinners with multiple generations and not just on Sunday.

And why we just get some pancakes at the church when the Roman-types have all kinds of drunken debauchery and high-jinx before Lent? Irish funerals are also epic. Versus dour ceremonies. I, quite seriously, was told "I won't be in for a few days because my uncle died." I expressed concern and wondered if he needed to travel etc. "No, just'll be feeling like shite and need a coupla days of sleep." They, basically, drink themselves to oblivion telling stories about the deceased, then fight, collapse, find assignations, or whatever.

Blue Bloods always includes a Sunday dinner scene and there’s always lots of booze flowing. Fights too...well, arguments, disagreements and debate anyway. ;)

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 07:59:07 PM
That’s because of

I am going off the grid as much as possible this year growing and killing my own food and avoid buying anything i dont absolutely need. Fuck paying taxes, maybe we should have a chicken coop thread?

Stellar

I just purchased a $999.00 million dollar lottery ticket California mega millions.  I will let you all know tonight when I hit all my numbers.

Can I do it?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Asuka Langley on January 22, 2021, 08:19:11 PM
I am going off the grid as much as possible this year growing and killing my own food and avoid buying anything i dont absolutely need. Fuck paying taxes, maybe we should have a chicken coop thread?

Yeah, mang. I have a lot of respect for the colonel. He was actually a pretty bad ass dude and his chicken is delicious!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Stellar on January 22, 2021, 08:20:57 PM
I just purchased a $999.00 million dollar lottery ticket California mega millions.  I will let you all know tonight when I hit all my numbers.

Can I do it?

Probably not. The odds are astronomical.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 08:15:54 PM
Blue Bloods always includes a Sunday dinner scene and there’s always lots of booze flowing. ;)
Religious proclamations and beliefs aside it is good to look at Ireland to what is happening here. Battered, exploited but held it (mainly) together but was felled by free-money, via EC/EU and then how the urban population over road the rest of the country when it came to votes on issues like abortion, EU, etc. And then, once those votes done, the money taken away but locked-in to the agreements. I swear you couldn't go to any rural pub or random bridge over a small creek and see a sign about some EU funding. People on welfare schemes and more $ for more kids and so on (not that Catholics needing incentives to have kids anyway.) And they were allowed all those great tax deals. But then, once agreed, "ok, no more now we are going for Eastern Europe." And try to do the same stuff there.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 08:21:36 PM
Yeah, mang. I have a lot of respect for the colonel. He was actually a pretty bad ass dude and his chicken is delicious!

BASED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYup9KtTJk

albrecht

Eggs. Get some rabbits for meat. Chicken for eggs! Goats for milk, soap, and general lawn maintenance. Feed the chickens leftovers and let roam to eat bugs etc before night-night time, lest predators get them, and the eggs will be more better. Interestingly donkeys are good flock protection, especially if you are in a place that needs wool and so having some sheep.

Sure cattle, Longhorns, hogs etc are good but, really, unless you have lots of land and want to deal with more troublem business, commodities, not as good, for self-sufficient style.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 22, 2021, 08:15:12 PM
"Entrenched bureaucracy" is a clever euphemism and redundant.

I suppose I’m willing to concede that we need administrators to get things done and in our system that’s a bureaucracy. However, it should be troubling to any rational person that it be governed exclusively by one party for as long as it has. There must be something, some sort of safeguard for stopping this and preventing it from reoccurring that can be done short of civil war, right? Right?!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 22, 2021, 08:10:59 PM

Haha yeah we had those at grandma and grandpa's house regularly when I was a kid but they were very old and stopped doing that when I was maybe 9 or 10.  I wish I could go back there!

The pancake thing doesn't translate well with dry American-style pancakes but with with what we call crepes like they all eat over there, which are mostly egg, you see that it is the easiest way if you are a peasant without an oven to burn through all the eggs and butter you have stockpiled -- the butter to fry them in.  It is not a proper pancake unless it is swimming in the pan.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 08:28:48 PM
I suppose I’m willing to concede that we need administrators to get things done and in our system that’s a bureaucracy. However, it should be troubling to any rational person that it be governed exclusively by one party for as long as it has. There must be something, some sort of safeguard for stopping this and preventing it from reoccurring that can be done short of civil war, right? Right?!
Specialization is of course economical (but can also be trouble in a time of change if that special knowledge is no longer required) and bureaucracy is not a bad thing. It was a good thing, initially. Better than nepotism or random royal decrees. Though in some cases some Royals were ok and that kind of authoritarian systems can work, or at least be better than chaos. Likewise a Republic, or worse a Democracy, needs informed and moral people behind it. One could see a single Party system being ok but that Party would need to be fractured enough to allow dissenting opinions and those willing to push back, so a Party in name but not effect like some would have them to be, some kind of lock-step all in agreement.

K_Dubb

Very hipster, you would fit great in the PNWYLF.  You will need one of those fiddler on the roof hats, though; that is what they all wear at the farmers' market.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 22, 2021, 08:36:27 PM
Very hipster, you would fit great in the PNWYLF.  You will need one of those fiddler on the roof hats, though; that is what they all wear at the farmers' market.

Too commie! It’s what the Bolsheviks wore when they started killing people and stealing their property.

It would seem that The Colonel still has many bamboozled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 22, 2021, 08:36:19 PM
Specialization is of course economical (but can also be trouble in a time of change if that special knowledge is no longer required) and bureaucracy is not a bad thing. It was a good thing, initially. Better than nepotism or random royal decrees. Though in some cases some Royals were ok and that kind of authoritarian systems can work, or at least be better than chaos. Likewise a Republic, or worse a Democracy, needs informed and moral people behind it. One could see a single Party system being ok but that Party would need to be fractured enough to allow dissenting opinions and those willing to push back, so a Party in name but not effect like some would have them to be, some kind of lock-step all in agreement.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 22, 2021, 08:41:52 PM
It would seem that The Colonel still has many bamboozled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo

You best hush up before you upset the queen. She’d probably have to wake Shreddy up then.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 08:38:26 PM
Too commie! It’s what the Bolsheviks wore when they started killing people and stealing their property.

It is standard late 19th-c headgear for people who aren't bourgeois.  Student caps, sailors, lower army ranks all wore the same thing.  Nowadays it survives only as a student cap (russelue).

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 08:44:25 PM
You best hush up before you upset the queen. She’d probably have to wake Shreddy up then.

He's still on lockdown and can't get down the public library to shit post.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 22, 2021, 08:36:27 PM

NEIN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZWVUzEq7E

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 22, 2021, 08:47:12 PM
It is standard late 19th-c headgear for people who aren't bourgeois.  Student caps, sailors, lower army ranks all wore the same thing.  Nowadays it survives only as a student cap (russelue).

...and the only one to look cool wearing one was Ben Hogan.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 22, 2021, 08:47:12 PM

Interestingly they used to make Freshmen wear beanies. I'm not sure if there was a Tribal and/or Roman connection to this though practice but clearly the mortar board cap has some Masonic connections.  The upstart on WABC the other night was musing about why judges need to wear  robes, which also is interesting and there was a vigorous debate about this by our Founders. Wigs- out, Robes- on was determined. It also, most places, isn't by law but by tradition- K_dubb will likely know, being the fashion police of BG, that colors other than black used to be used.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 22, 2021, 08:51:42 PM
...and the only one to look cool wearing one was Ben Hogan.

I always enjoyed him, who also wore it well. I especially liked him using a oil can funnel to manipulate his shaking hands to get the key in his door lock after a long night out.

Quote from: albrecht on January 22, 2021, 08:57:09 PM
I always enjoyed him, who also wore it well. I especially him using a oil can funnel to manipulate his shaking hands to get the key in his door lock after a long night out.

Ok. Two guys looked cool in 'em.  But I doubt Andy had that magical hip pivot that Ben did.

"At the top of the back swing the groin muscle on the inside of your rt [sic] leg near your right nut will tighten," Hogan wrote

Stellar

There is going to be so many riots I'll be sick unless the Elmer Fedds come out in force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufhHtjlM09E

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2021, 08:22:15 PM
Probably not. The odds are astronomical.

This post is not getting the praise that it deserves, not because you're a nigger cocksucker--and you are: actual nigger, actual cocks--but because its humor is subtle, and people readers probably think that you just used the wrong emoticon macro and it's a typo.

And... no video? Weak Inconceivable.