George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Maxwell on August 24, 2012, 07:50:08 PM
From last night's show.

George:  Can the mind be that strong, that powerful, to mentally conjure up something and you actually think it's real?

Mark Edward:  Oh absolutely.... (Laughs) Are you--is that a serious question?

Yes, Mark, from George Noory, that was a serious question.

i had to quote this again.  george noory is just such a poor interviewer. 

oh, and i'm bothered by these airbrushed photos positioning him as a man of mystery and intrigue.  fuck that.  his "i've got the goods" pose is in NO WAY congruent with the what i hear on the radio from this man.

ItsOver

"Petticoat Junction," "Green Acres"..... here's a clip from another sitcom classic with TV's version of Noory, Ted Baxter.  I'm waiting for the night a guest finally tells Georgie to stuff it.  ;)

Mary Tyler Moore Show - "Shut up, Ted!"

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on August 24, 2012, 07:22:09 PM
Noory is taking yet another Friday night off tonight and John B. Wells is sitting in instead with guest Alex Jones.

Johnny B. Tokin AND Alex Jones?   :P  Guess I'll be listening from my bomb shelter, with my gas mask on, as I inventory my eFoods Direct supplies and gold Eagle coins.   ::)

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on August 24, 2012, 08:23:34 PM
i want to be clear... i don't hate the guy (noory).  i don't even know him.  i will never know him.  i'll never meet him. further, i have no reason to believe he's a bad man or to think i'd dislike him if i were to meet him.  it's just that he fucked up a radio show i happened to enjoy.  that's all.  nothing more, nothing less.  made a little website about it.  check that out.

After all this time I'm still completely bumfuzzled as to how George can continue to ask these doofus questions. How can anyone be this dumb?

But this possibility raised itself for the first time: George absolutely hates what he's doing. George isn't stupid; he just can't face doing the show. He can't stand to read anything about his shows; he can't concentrate; he just goes through the motions. He wishes he had the courage to chuck it, but the golden handcuffs are on him, and he's making too much money, and getting too much recognition to walk away. So he sleepwalks through his shows, halfway hoping he'll get fired. But the post-AB C2C audience has an insanely high tolerance for incompetence, and so instead of complaining, Premiere still gets love letters to George.

That could account for what sounds like 10 years of stupendously idiotic interviewing. Because otherwise I've got to believe there's an adult out there who is this stupid and is making money hand over fist. I'm so confused.

ChewMouse

Quote from: Sardondi on August 24, 2012, 09:31:17 PM
George absolutely hates what he's doing. George isn't stupid; he just can't face doing the show. He can't stand to read anything about his shows; he can't concentrate; he just goes through the motions. He wishes he had the courage to chuck it, but the golden handcuffs are on him, and he's making too much money, and getting too much recognition to walk away. So he sleepwalks through his shows, halfway hoping he'll get fired. But the post-AB C2C audience has an insanely high tolerance for incompetence, and so instead of complaining, Premiere still gets love letters to George.
I think you have very eloquently nailed it. I have had a sort of vague notion of what you've written (especially when I listen to him), but you got it down in words. He simply hates it and he's trapped.

Quote from: Maxwell on August 24, 2012, 07:50:08 PM
From last night's show.

George:  Can the mind be that strong, that powerful, to mentally conjure up something and you actually think it's real?

Mark Edward:  Oh absolutely.... (Laughs) Are you--is that a serious question?

Yes, Mark, from George Noory, that was a serious question.

I think it's possible that when George asks questions like this, it's not because he's such an idiot that he truly doesn't know the answer, it's because he thinks he's doing a good job by asking dumbed down questions so that we poor simpletons out here in radio land can understand something.

He imagines himself as a great interpreter, a protector, a dissector of complex theories into simple broad yes or no questions...he's our great wise shepherd and we are his late-night sheep.

RJ

I listened to most of the interview with Mark Edward on this site and I get the feeling he was about to scream at any moment "HEY GEORGE EGGNORRY HOW ABOUT INTERVIEWING ME ABOUT THE  MATERIAL COVERED IN MY BOOK?"   But, hey why would George do that when he can bring in callers with their AMAZING stories that would torture Mark Edward even more.
I'm sure Mark got up more than once during the breaks and kicked the wall.  I've been to the Magic Castle and the magicians are beyond talented.
Lately I have been reacquainting myself with Terry Gross's program Fresh Air.  Real nice to hear a highly intelligent interviewer listening and responding to their guests with genuine interest and great questions.

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on August 24, 2012, 08:31:40 PMI'm waiting for the night a guest finally tells Georgie to stuff it.  ;)
i think that several guests have tried to do that on air, but Noory's studio delay prevented it from getting out on the air.
all we notice is when Noory returns from a break, the guest has mysteriously disappeared purportedly due to technical difficulties or a bad phone connection.
yeah right, Noory...  8)

Quote from: RJ on August 24, 2012, 10:37:30 PM

Lately I have been reacquainting myself with Terry Gross's program Fresh Air.  Real nice to hear a highly intelligent interviewer listening and responding to their guests with genuine interest and great questions.

Disagree on Gross. I am not impressed with her. The part-time hosts on Fresh Air are far better. Gross constantly talks over guests and then deviates on trivial topics.  The questions seems like they are prepped by a staff or interns.
Plays favorites as well.

ziznak

Quote from: ItsOver on August 24, 2012, 08:31:40 PM
I'm waiting for the night a guest finally tells Georgie to stuff it.  ;)
We can only pray that when it happens somebody leaks the audio out somewhere so we can actually hear it.  I could hear the faces Mark Edward was probly making during his interview... I'm also sure that on a few occasions he pulled the ol "take the phone off your ear and look at it" move.

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on August 25, 2012, 07:08:23 AM
We can only pray that when it happens somebody leaks the audio out somewhere so we can actually hear it.  I could hear the faces Mark Edward was probly making during his interview... I'm also sure that on a few occasions he pulled the ol "take the phone off your ear and look at it" move.

I laughed out loud at the point during the interview when Noory and Edward were discussing the staged/fake ghost hunter television reality shows. George pipes up with (not the exact words) "And you know, these guys are ruining it for the legitimate paranormal researchers! They really are!". You can hear Edward let out a sigh, followed by "You think?"

Also, not very kosher of George to, in a sense, bash the guest waiting in the wings to come on - Tim Coleman. Charlatan or not, that was most unprofessional.

Quote from: RJ on August 24, 2012, 10:37:30 PM

I've never heard Terry Gross, but the person with whom I'm increasingly impressed is Canadian Richard Syrett and his radio program - 'The Conspiracy Show with Richard Syrett' which is produced out of Toronto, Ontario and is broadcast every Sunday night. I know I've mentioned this man in the past, but he's worth mentioning again.

http://www.richardsyrett.com/

Syrett's show is adding more and more U.S. affiliate stations (the latest is Atlanta). He's really hit his stride - polished, professional & intelligent interviews with engaging guests and dialogue. He's a healthy skeptic and challenges certain guests without closing them off. Richard allows maximum 3-4 callers per segment (two hour show = (usually) two topics) and to-date pretty much well all callers ask pertinent questions and offer additional-relevant topic info.  All in all a pretty good show.

For those hear who may not recall, Syrett was a guest host on C2C a couple of years back. He did a great job. The callers frequently remarked that they were impressed by him. Hmmm...and you know what that resulted in, don't you? The man has never been asked to guest host again. Surprise, surprise.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: thefamilyghost on August 24, 2012, 10:07:29 PM
[Noory] thinks he's doing a good job by asking dumbed down questions so that we poor simpletons out here in radio land can understand something.  He imagines himself as a great interpreter... he's our great wise shepherd and we are his late-night sheep.
Agreed.  I once opined how Noory models himself on Casey Kasem, and just as Kasem once built a career on lifting the veil on the "mysterious music biz" for all the dumb starstruck rubes, Noory thinks he's doing the same on the whole "paranormal / esoteric" field.   I swing between analogies of "shepherd & sheep" and "hack Grand Canyon tour guide & geriatric tenderfeet at a campfire sing-along."

Quote from: Morgus on August 24, 2012, 11:30:38 PM
i think that several guests have tried to [tell Noory he sucks] on air... when Noory returns from a break, the guest has mysteriously disappeared  purportedly due to technical difficulties or a bad phone connection. yeah right, Noory...  8)
And it still doesn't register to Noory that HE'S the problem.   Just the opposite: he thinks any beefs with the guests are because he's such a tough and wily interviewer; those guests just weren't ready for prime time with Georgie!

Ben Shockley

Quote from: ziznak on August 25, 2012, 07:08:23 AM
We can only pray that when it happens [a guest telling Noory to stuff it] somebody leaks the audio out somewhere so we can actually hear it...
A mole inside Team Noory would be great to have.
But we really don't have to wait that long.  I'd bet that Noory is dropping gig-ending nuggets all night every night, if only someone could get in there and record it or let it out on-air.   The in-studio banter (or ranting) during any commercial break would probably be enough to drive a stake permanently through the heart of Noory's "nice guy" image and would reveal what he thinks of his adoring audience.

RJ

Did anyone catch the slight mention of LSD by Mark Edward?  Noory about fell out of his chair and said something like "we won't be doing that".  This is the program that used to spend an entire four hours with Terrance McKenna discussing psychedelics and the effects on human beings throughout time.  But that was when we had Art Bell,  an adult conducting the show.  Hey George if you are not interested in delving into subjects outside of your narrow sensibilities,   GET ANOTHER JOB!  And were has Matthew Alper been?

Quote from: Jasmine on August 25, 2012, 07:58:42 AM
I laughed out loud at the point during the interview when Noory and Edward were discussing the staged/fake ghost hunter television reality shows. George pipes up with (not the exact words) "And you know, these guys are ruining it for the legitimate paranormal researchers! They really are!". You can hear Edward let out a sigh, followed by "You think?"

Also, not very kosher of George to, in a sense, bash the guest waiting in the wings to come on - Tim Coleman. Charlatan or not, that was most unprofessional...

Does George even know who will be on his show?  It's not like he prepares or gives a crap.   Maybe they just hand him his stack of cue cards as he's walking into the studio.

Sardondi

Quote from: Ben Shockley on August 25, 2012, 12:41:30 PM
A mole inside Team Noory would be great to have...

I've had a little bit of experience with some broadcasting types - local radio and TV - and I'm amazed at how often and how much their own support people despise them. (After putting up with an entire Summer of frat-boy harassment by the Action News anchor, one feisty outgoing intern claimed she put his regular Splenda, creamer and a few drops of pee in his morning joe on her last day.) Of course this is the old "no man is a hero to his valet" theory, and usually because of the enormous egos they have & the hair-trigger tempers that so often go with it. I can see that they wouldn't spread it because they want to keep their job.

Quote from: Ben Shockley on August 25, 2012, 12:41:30 PM..I'd bet that Noory is dropping gig-ending nuggets all night every night, if only someone could get in there and record it or let it out on-air.   The in-studio banter (or ranting) during any commercial break would probably be enough to drive a stake permanently through the heart of Noory's "nice guy" image and would reveal what he thinks of his adoring audience.

I bet you're right. "Ah, Jeez, Tommy, I can't take these dumbasses another night. If I have to act like I care about a caller one more time I'm gonna puke!"

Now let's hope somebody with a tape gets fired and feels like retaliation.....

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 25, 2012, 01:24:38 PM
... It's not like he prepares or gives a crap.   Maybe they just hand him his stack of cue cards as he's walking into the studio.
"Maybe?"
Noory considers it "show prep" if he gets into the studio parking lot before 10:04 PM.

Quote from: RJ on August 25, 2012, 12:50:56 PM
This is the program that used to spend an entire four hours with Terrance McKenna...  Hey George if you are not interested in delving into subjects outside of your narrow sensibilities,   GET ANOTHER JOB!
Georgie's vision of his core audience are shut-in grannies who don't know the call letters of the station their bedside radio is permanently tuned into, and who learned what little they know about "drugs" from potboiling episodes of "Adam-12" -- the same way Georgie did, whenever his mom would let him watch that risque stuff.

BobGrau

The Edwards interview was indeed a hoot. It would be really cool if he turns up here someday.

At one point he asked noory how many listeners he had on any given night, and noory gave the answer '3 to 5 million'.

BULLSHIT, George.

Morgus

Quote from: BobGrau on August 25, 2012, 06:13:13 PM
At one point he asked noory how many listeners he had on any given night, and noory gave the answer '3 to 5 million'.
and the following night with John B. Wells hosting, guest Alex Jones referred to c2c's 10million+ audience each night.
who is correct?

Sardondi

Quote from: BobGrau on August 25, 2012, 06:13:13 PM...At one point he asked noory how many listeners he had on any given night, and noory gave the answer '3 to 5 million'.

3 to 5 million listeners a night?!?!?!?! Yeah, and George's acorn-like dicklet (like a penis, only smaller) measures a solid 8 inches, too. Look, if the Talking Turd of The West gets a 3-million listener week they crack open the champagne at Premeire. The whole of C2C is sputtering along at about 400,000 nightly listeners; somewhere near the bottom of the 20 most-listened-to radio talk shows.   

Quote from: Morgus on August 26, 2012, 12:40:34 AM
and the following night with John B. Wells hosting, guest Alex Jones referred to c2c's 10million+ audience each night.
who is correct?

But Alex's ability to understand the concept of numbers, or to use numbers appropriately in conversations, was destroyed long ago by decades of paint huffing and his longstanding habit of shooting a nailgun into his forehead.

Scully

... the person with whom I'm increasingly impressed is Canadian Richard Syrett and his radio program - 'The Conspiracy Show with Richard Syrett' which is produced out of Toronto, Ontario and is broadcast every Sunday night. I know I've mentioned this man in the past, but he's worth mentioning again.

http://www.richardsyrett.com/

Syrett's show is adding more and more U.S. affiliate stations (the latest is Atlanta). He's really hit his stride - polished, professional & intelligent interviews with engaging guests and dialogue. He's a healthy skeptic and challenges certain guests without closing them off. Richard allows maximum 3-4 callers per segment (two hour show = (usually) two topics) and to-date pretty much well all callers ask pertinent questions and offer additional-relevant topic info.  All in all a pretty good show.

For those hear who may not recall, Syrett was a guest host on C2C a couple of years back. He did a great job. The callers frequently remarked that they were impressed by him. Hmmm...and you know what that resulted in, don't you? The man has never been asked to guest host again. Surprise, surprise.

Amazingly, I DO recall Syrett.  I remember him because he was such an excellent guest host, because he said he was Canadian, because I was so hopeful he'd become a regular fill-in, and because he never came back.  One more time Premiere's taste and mine were at total odds. I'd LOVE to see him replace Wells. Fat chance.  :(

Scully

Quote from: thefamilyghost on August 24, 2012, 10:07:29 PM
I think it's possible that when George asks questions like this, it's not because he's such an idiot that he truly doesn't know the answer, it's because he thinks he's doing a good job by asking dumbed down questions so that we poor simpletons out here in radio land can understand something.

He imagines himself as a great interpreter, a protector, a dissector of complex theories into simple broad yes or no questions...he's our great wise shepherd and we are his late-night sheep.

This is what I used to tell myself when I still thought Noory was a "good guy."  I thought he was just a college-educated successful guy who was trying to gently raise the consciousness of those less advantaged than he.  I also thought it was sad that his jokes were so lame because he happened to have a childish sense of humor.

Hundreds of hours of listening to him have changed my mind.  He just plain sucks.

I think it takes awhile to realize how bad Noory really is, especially if a person isn't listening 4 hours 5 nighta a week,or isn't always that close of attention.

It takes time to realize he's asking the same questions regardless of guest or topic.  A person has to hear him fail to ask obvious follow up questions more than once or twice to realize he constantly misses them - it likely won't dawn on them until it's a topic that listener is especialy interested in.  He rotates his stock dumb comments - incredible, riveting, absolutely, so true, amazing, gawsh, etc - just enough so it takes a certain amount of listening to really notice.Most people trust what people say, so when George claimed he was doing 8 hours of show prep every day, so at first people didn't consider that maybe he wasn't ever prepared.  His quirks such as enjoying stories of suffering animals and dead children aren't apparent until the trend is noticed. Every radio host dumps guests and callers, pokes fun of them once in awhile, so it takes awhile to realize what a dick George is.  Etc.

Juan

Quote from: Morgus on August 26, 2012, 12:40:34 AM

who is correct?
Neither - Talker's Magazine earlier this year reported that "George Noory" (not Coast) gets 3.5-million listeners a week. From looking at the other hosts in the list, I think they were only counting weekdays, not weekends.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Ben Shockley on August 25, 2012, 01:53:33 PM
"Maybe?"
Noory considers it "show prep" if he gets into the studio parking lot before 10:04 PM.
Georgie's vision of his core audience are shut-in grannies who don't know the call letters of the station their bedside radio is permanently tuned into, and who learned what little they know about "drugs" from potboiling episodes of "Adam-12" -- the same way Georgie did, whenever his mom would let him watch that risque stuff.
Please don't malign memories of my favorite cop show as a child by using it in the same sentence as "Noory" . . . unless, of course, it is in the context of "In a scene reminiscent of TV's Adam-12, the disoriented and ranting Noory was placed into the back of a waiting police cruiser. He proceeded to bang his head against the cruiser's window until his toupee fell off, leaving black streaks of hair dye against the cracked glass."

Gassy Man

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 26, 2012, 03:38:53 AM
I think it takes awhile to realize how bad Noory really is, especially if a person isn't listening 4 hours 5 nighta a week,or isn't always that close of attention.

It takes time to realize he's asking the same questions regardless of guest or topic.  A person has to hear him fail to ask obvious follow up questions more than once or twice to realize he constantly misses them - it likely won't dawn on them until it's a topic that listener is especialy interested in.  He rotates his stock dumb comments - incredible, riveting, absolutely, so true, amazing, gawsh, etc - just enough so it takes a certain amount of listening to really notice.Most people trust what people say, so when George claimed he was doing 8 hours of show prep every day, so at first people didn't consider that maybe he wasn't ever prepared.  His quirks such as enjoying stories of suffering animals and dead children aren't apparent until the trend is noticed. Every radio host dumps guests and callers, pokes fun of them once in awhile, so it takes awhile to realize what a dick George is.  Etc.
Spot on summary, Paper*Boy!  Excellent.

c2cladynh

In recent years I have noticed that most of George's guests are of the new-age genre. Thank God because he sucks when it comes to interviewing the good guests. They leave those good ones to John B. Wells and George Knapp....They KNOW how to interview and conduct a talk show for sure! ;D

Jasmine

For those hear  who may not recall, Syrett was a guest host on C2C a couple of years back. He did a great job. The callers frequently remarked that they were impressed by him. Hmmm...and you know what that resulted in, don't you? The man has never been asked to guest host again. Surprise, surprise.

Quoting one's self...talk about split personality. I am MOST embarrassed re my highlighted blunder above. This is what happens when I'm rushed for time.

I suppose my illiteracy qualifies me to join the cast of the new reality show 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo'.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Extended Promo

Norry sucks.

stevesh

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 01:45:05 PM
Quoting one's self...talk about split personality. I am MOST embarrassed re my highlighted blunder above. This is what happens when I'm rushed for time.

I suppose my illiteracy qualifies me to join the cast of the new reality show 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo'.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Extended Promo

Norry sucks.

We'll forgive your spelling errors in return for really awesome baby pictures next week.

Sardondi

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 01:45:05 PM
Quoting one's self...talk about split personality. I am MOST embarrassed re my highlighted blunder above.....

A kindred spirit. My cringing response to spelling errors - okay, any errors - is no doubt a result of my Calvinist-tinged youth, courtesy of my Headmaster, the Reverend David Pottie, C of S, Major, RAF, retired, whose usual form of address to any student was "You miserrrrrrrable sinnerrrrr!", and who treated any of our mistakes as evidence of a sinfulness that had us with one foot on a banana peel before the deepest pit of Hell. Consequently even today I often find myself blushing at spelling and punctuation errors, and have to fight the compulsion to confess and correct it.

Wow, the power of conditioning!