• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on June 27, 2013, 01:49:03 PM
Let's get the hidden translation cam in on this:
"My shoulders are big enough to sling a football pro style. But my wrists is so stiff and non-limp, I can't flip a frisbee for diddly. Damn, sometimes being so incredibly hetero is such a drawback to life."
Affirmative. I'm a big strapping guy like Rock Hudson with a masculine exterior like Raymond Burr. The gheyness of frisbee tossing is alien to me.

Do I have to turn in my hetero card?  I used to play loads of Frisbee.  A friend and I used to see how many times we could throw the disc without a drop employing only trick catches (behind the back, etc.).  I think we hit somewhere around 190.  Well, my depth perception isn't what it used to be, and I'm not nearly as graceful and springy as I was in the past.  I'd be happy with maybe six trick catches in a row these days!

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 27, 2013, 01:58:14 PMAffirmative. I'm a big strapping guy like Rock Hudson with a masculine exterior like Raymond Burr. The gheyness of frisbee tossing is alien to me.
Damn you - now I have images of Rock Hudson and Raymond Burr in my head, like....together. *shudder* Well, maybe they'll replace those of Rock and Jim Nabors. It was terrible: if I happened to hear that goofy "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!", I'd get an involuntary picture of a Gomer, wearing nothing but a Gucci scarf, black leather chaps, and waving a cowboy hat as a rode a ball-gagged and bound Rock, on his all fours, who was desperately trying to buck him off the booted-and-spurred goofus.

The horror..the horror!
__________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, and in a post about Aaron Hernandez, I mentioned how much of the case against him was made by evidence police got from his own digital devices and even his home security system. And someplace I had mocked the idea of a shadowy group taking control of Michael Hastings' car and sending into a tree. And now, *gulp* there's this about hacking cars: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/can-your-car-be-hacked-feature

Oh shit. Vision's of Tom Cruise's car being controlled by police in Minority Report.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on June 27, 2013, 02:25:39 PM
Damn you - now I have images of Rock Hudson and Raymond Burr in my head, like....together. *shudder* Well, maybe they'll replace those of Rock and Jim Nabors. It was terrible: if I happened to hear that goofy "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!", I'd get an involuntary picture of a Gomer, wearing nothing but a Gucci scarf, black leather chaps, and waving a cowboy hat as a rode a ball-gagged and bound Rock, on his all fours, who was desperately trying to buck him off the booted-and-spurred goofus.

The horror..the horror!

Well, Gollllllleeee! Though I can't picture Jim "Hepatitis C,D,E,F" Nabors leaving Roman Gabriel to become McMillan's "wife".

Sgt Carter would be upset by this. "You're a dirty person,Pyle!"

Was (is) Roman Gabriel gay?  I'd never heard that....  I sure enjoyed his time with the Rams throwing to Jack Snow.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 27, 2013, 06:50:45 PM
Was (is) Roman Gabriel gay?  I'd never heard that....  I sure enjoyed his time with the Rams throwing to Jack Snow.

I was just reviving an urban myth(?) that I always found amusing. I'm probably the first person to utter it since the AFL/NFL merger.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 27, 2013, 06:55:10 PM
         I was just reviving an urban myth(?) that I always found amusing. I'm probably the first person to utter it since the AFL/NFL merger.
No man that outright purty is straight: it's a law of nature. But what a perfect QB Gabriel was for Hollywood (when the town's team was the L.A. Rams and the Fearsome Foursome ruled), He was movie star-beautiful, and I think he even co-starred in some John Wayne western.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 27, 2013, 06:50:45 PM
The years of Roman Gabriel's career was about the years that I gave a damn about the NFL/AFL. About the time he hung it up I was done with the NFL. But from the mid-60's to the mid-70's was my time. My most vivid memory of Gabriel was of him getting blindsided, from behind, by some defender who got a full-speed, 100%-solid hit with his helmet right in between Roman's shoulders. It whiplashed Gabriel so badly I don't see how his head stayed on his body. That was one vicious hit. It may have even made some highlight films which are still shown occasionally- LA was away and wearing white.

I'm a little glad they don't allow such hits in the NFL anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I think they protect the quarterback too much now, but the days of burying your helmet into a guy's back were a bit over the top.  My entertainment is not worth a guy being crippled for life.  Maybe I'd feel differently if there were situations where the linebacker, safety, etc. were drilled in a similar fashion by some offensive player.  It seems sort of like they (the defense) are allowed to dish it out but never have to take it.  Just once I'd like to see a guy like, say, Andre "Dirty" Waters reach for an interception and get blasted in the gut by a fullback -- helmet to the solar plexus.  See how it feels.

Yeah, the L.A. Rams of the 60's and uber-early 70's (pre-switch to yellow) always wore the blue on white home uniform.  I miss that uniform, that era.  I can recall listening to the Rams games on the radio with Dick Enberg as their announcer.  "David Ray for the point after.  Here's the boot... and the kick is... good!"

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 28, 2013, 10:32:46 AM
I'm a little glad they don't allow such hits in the NFL anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I think they protect the quarterback too much now, but the days of burying your helmet into a guy's back were a bit over the top.  My entertainment is not worth a guy being crippled for life.  Maybe I'd feel differently if there were situations where the linebacker, safety, etc. were drilled in a similar fashion by some offensive player.  It seems sort of like they (the defense) are allowed to dish it out but never have to take it.  Just once I'd like to see a guy like, say, Andre "Dirty" Waters reach for an interception and get blasted in the gut by a fullback -- helmet to the solar plexus.  See how it feels.
Dirty players must be devoid of a conscience to willingly attempt to injure. Barbaric thugs. NFL Films loves to show the "big hits", but Jack Tatum's August 12, 1978 obliteration of Darryl Stingley never seems to show up in those reels. Hypocrites.

Ironically, my two concussions in playing organized ball were from baseball, not football. Concussion 1 was as sick as I ever felt in my not so short, no sweet life. I was so fucked up that I swore they said on WBZ that Lenny Bias had died. :o

Still on the topic of sports (but moving to basketball), I see former NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas was arrested on some fireworks-related charge.  Dude is only 31.  What happened, did he blow out his knee?  It seems like just a couple years ago he was being regarded as one of the super-star young bucks of the league.

It would be great if young athletes looked at the cautionary tales of sports (Arenas, Terrell Owens, Pacman Jones, Romanowski, etc.) and tried to avoid their particular pratfalls.  I remember Latrell (Latrine) Sprewell having a promising career and ending up sort of a burn-out joke.

Rough patch for Boston sports fans - Bruins, Patriots, Celtics (maybe it was the right time to get rid of those guys, still..), the Sox should be next

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 28, 2013, 02:46:18 PM
Still on the topic of sports (but moving to basketball), I see former NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas was arrested on some fireworks-related charge.  Dude is only 31.  What happened, did he blow out his knee?  It seems like just a couple years ago he was being regarded as one of the super-star young bucks of the league.

Arenas violated the two things that Emperor Stern has concerns about. Guns and gambling. That clubhouse quarrel with Javaris Crittenton(an accused murderer now) involved both. Arenas stock plummeted and I'm shocked any team was allowed to take a flyer on him.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 28, 2013, 02:48:09 PM
Rough patch for Boston sports fans - Bruins, Patriots, Celtics (maybe it was the right time to get rid of those guys, still..), the Sox should be next
Sox had their bottoming out last year. Right now, the Celts are on the low rung. But the Pats may have their worst season since the Pete Carroll reign. Awful karma. But they deserve it.

Hey, Eddie... I hadn't heard about Crittendon being accused of murder.  He was a one-time Laker, so I followed his career briefly.  There was a time I could name all Laker players down to the 12th man.  Now, I doubt I could name the starting five. 

Another random stupid thing:  I see that Kate Gosslin was turned down by Playboy.   Did she really think there were a bunch of guys lining up to see a few photographs of her in the nude?  She looks like waaaaaaay too many mindless reality-show blondes in my probably sexist, unenlightened mind.  That woman has quite an ego.  No wonder Jon ran away to the woods.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 28, 2013, 03:37:23 PM
Hey, Eddie... I hadn't heard about Crittendon being accused of murder.  He was a one-time Laker, so I followed his career briefly.  There was a time I could name all Laker players down to the 12th man.  Now, I doubt I could name the starting five. 

Crittenton was indicted for a gang-related murder in Atlanta in 2011. Haven't heard much about it lately, but it didn't look good for him.

Same here, I knew NBA/NCAA rosters inside out...however, once I stopped gambling in 2005, my interest sank like a stone. I still follow sports, but it's out of social/cultural necessity more than "fandom".

Today, I could list the entire '84 Cubs roster in an instant. The 2013 Cubs? I probably could probably name about 7 or 8...

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 28, 2013, 02:24:24 PM
          Dirty players must be devoid of a conscience to willingly attempt to injure. Barbaric thugs. NFL Films loves to show the "big hits", but Jack Tatum's August 12, 1978 obliteration of Darryl Stingley never seems to show up in those reels. Hypocrites.

Ironically, my two concussions in playing organized ball were from baseball, not football. Concussion 1 was as sick as I ever felt in my not so short, no sweet life. I was so fucked up that I swore they said on WBZ that Lenny Bias had died. :o
I always found Jack Tatum repugnant. Has he to this day ever made a really heartfelt, genuine apology about crippling, and ultimately killing, Darryl Stingley?

About concussions, or as we oldsters called them, "getting your bell rung", they used to be a fairly common occurrence, even in high school. I remember getting kneed in the head in H.S. and immediately I was transported to some fuzzy existence where there were the most beautiful flowers. I couldn't see them but I could smell them. When I went to the sidelines I was still fuzzed over, standing next to my position coach. I dreamily asked another player if he knew where the flowers were that smelled so wonderful. My coach was a young guy just out of college who apparently took his sports injury classes seriously and knew that unexplained smells were a classic sign of concussion, because he overheard me and immediately looked into my eyes and asked some questions that I gave goofy answers to. So he gave me the treatment which was cutting edge in 1972: "Go over to the bench and sit down and be quiet for a few minutes." I went back in when the flower smell disappeared and the headache began.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on June 28, 2013, 04:03:13 PM
I always found Jack Tatum repugnant. Has he to this day ever made a really heartfelt, genuine apology about crippling, and ultimately killing, Darryl Stingley?

About concussions, or as we oldsters called them, "getting your bell rung", they used to be a fairly common occurrence, even in high school. I remember getting kneed in the head in H.S. and immediately I was transported to some fuzzy existence where there were the most beautiful flowers. I couldn't see them but I could smell them. When I went to the sidelines I was still fuzzed over, standing next to my position coach. I dreamily asked another player if he knew where the flowers were that smelled so wonderful. My coach was a young guy just out of college who apparently took his sports injury classes seriously and knew that unexplained smells were a classic sign of concussion, because he overheard me and immediately looked into my eyes and asked some questions that I gave goofy answers to. So he gave me the treatment which was cutting edge in 1972: "Go over to the bench and sit down and be quiet for a few minutes." I went back in when the flower smell disappeared and the headache began.
When Tatum, an amputee from Diabetic conditions, was offered by ESPN(among other outlets) to make contrition over the Stingley hit...he refused, and was as defiant as ever into his grave in 2010. Unfortunately, Stingley was outlived by the creep who called himself "assassin".

I'm from that tail end of the "bell rung" era. My first concussion was from 70MPH fastball that caught me square in the mouth, that turned me into a fountain of blood. BUT, being the stubborn asshole I is, I "walked it off"...and didn't tell my parents when I got home.

The next day, I wake up sick as a dog, with chills(it was an 88 degree June 18th day) and couldn't stand up for more than a few minutes. A friend of mine told his mother, an ER nurse, "Danny got beaned in the face last night, and now he's sick". She connected the dots, told my mother about my adventure from the previous night...and next thing I know I spent 10 hours in an ER in Chinatown/downtown Boston(10 pm to 8am) as gunshot victims, overdoses were wheeled in right and left.

I was released from the hospital at around 8:20am and lay down on the couch a short while after. And like I said, I thought my concussion had deluded me into thinking I heard "Lenny Bias, dead at 22".

coaster

I found several ads for fireworks in the newspaper today. I've never really been a fan of fireworks, and the prices shocked me. Some of these fireworks are selling for a hundred dollars. In the past people here in Nebraska would have to go to Missouri to buy the fireworks that were illegal here. Well they are now legal, and they are expensive. I guess these crooks who run the fireworks stands figure people would rather pay more money at home than for gas on the highway. How is buying black powder from China patriotic? it is quite literally money going up in smoke. Also, it annoys me to no end when people set these fireworks off before the fourth. I have neighbors setting them off right now and it drives me mad.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 28, 2013, 06:28:52 PM
        When Tatum, an amputee from Diabetic conditions, was offered by ESPN(among other outlets) to make contrition over the Stingley hit...he refused, and was as defiant as ever into his grave in 2010. Unfortunately, Stingley was outlived by the creep who called himself "assassin".

I'm from that tail end of the "bell rung" era. My first concussion was from 70MPH fastball that caught me square in the mouth, that turned me into a fountain of blood. BUT, being the stubborn asshole I is, I "walked it off"...and didn't tell my parents when I got home.

The next day, I wake up sick as a dog, with chills(it was an 88 degree June 18th day) and couldn't stand up for more than a few minutes. A friend of mine told his mother, an ER nurse, "Danny got beaned in the face last night, and now he's sick". She connected the dots, told my mother about my adventure from the previous night...and next thing I know I spent 10 hours in an ER in Chinatown/downtown Boston(10 pm to 8am) as gunshot victims, overdoses were wheeled in right and left.

I was released from the hospital at around 8:20am and lay down on the couch a short while after. And like I said, I thought my concussion had deluded me into thinking I heard "Lenny Bias, dead at 22".
I didn't even know the asshole Tatum was dead. I am sorry he lost limbs, although some might say it's proof the universe has a mean sense of humor/irony, or proof of karma or even God. But it was Tatum and his cheap criminal nastiness that was one of the key reasons Oakland got it's rep as the team that wore the black hat.

And it sounds like you got a sure 'nuff 100% real concussion, not the little whiff of it like I did.

Quote from: Sardondi on June 28, 2013, 04:03:13 PM
I always found Jack Tatum repugnant...

His co-POS George Atkinson is doing Raider broadcasts

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 28, 2013, 02:24:24 PM

This is probably a pointless inquiry, but I wonder what impact Bias would have had on that mid-80's Celtics roster.  Bird/Parish/McHale/Ainge/Johnson with Bias and co. coming in off the bench?  I say this as a Lakers fan:  I think the Gahden might have lofted another banner or two.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 30, 2013, 12:35:34 PM
This is probably a pointless inquiry, but I wonder what impact Bias would have had on that mid-80's Celtics roster.  Bird/Parish/McHale/Ainge/Johnson with Bias and co. coming in off the bench?  I say this as a Lakers fan:  I think the Gahden might have lofted another banner or two.
I look at things through a very dark glass, and I've often believed that Bias could have been one of the many huge busts ala Chris Washburn,Pearl Washington that were drafted between 1985-88. Bias had tremendous ability, but had real knucklehead tendencies that Lefty Driesell turned a blind eye to.

IF Bias was a legit player...then they probably never draft Reggie Lewis(oh, the irony) and definitely have a chance at another title, but Bird's back/feet would have still been a problem and I think in retrospect, they trade DJ after the '88 season and let Brian Shaw become the point guard.

The overlooked issue with the C's...they didn't have a real coach between Fitch and Chris Ford. KC Jones was an overseer and Jimmy Rodgers was pretty bad.

Juan

I seem to remember a show back in the 90s when a substitute (Hilly Rose?) was hosting for Art.  They had a guest on the phone, went to a break, and when back on the air, they got no response from the guest.  They tried hanging up and redialing the guest, but got a busy signal.  This was before the widespread use of cell phones.  They went to open lines for an hour or so, and finally got the guest back.  It turned out the guest was at some sleezy motel on the motel phone, so the producer called the motel and badgered the manager (who also called in the cops) into going to the room and checking on the guest.  It turns out there was a phone problem of some kind, and the guest was sitting there waiting to come back on the show. The fill-in host actually thought "they" had silenced the guest.  It must have been a UFO show.  Anybody else remember it?

Maybe it was the same show where the guest and Hilly admitted that Bill Clinton had just lost a war with the space aliens and had hidden our last 350-UFOs near a lake in Canada.

MV/Liberace!

i just ordered 150 checks from walmartchecks.com for about ten dollars.  shipped.