• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

slippingaway

Quote from: grizpsych on December 13, 2015, 03:40:11 PM
Why? It's a relatively new definition/legal definition?
I fall on the U.S.C. definition because the letter of the law is the only definition that can cost prison time? Is that not sound enough judgement for ya? It bares the most weight, considering the legal definition. This is beyond harrassment. If shots are fired, this guy is endangering the general population as well as creating ripples on a nationally syndicated talk radio show.

Since Art's push to terrestrial radio, he should enjoy all the protections that our Bill of Rights guarantees against the infringement on his Freedom of Speech/Press. There's a reason it's the first ammendment: it's the most important.

grizpsych

Quote from: VoteQuimby on December 13, 2015, 03:54:49 PM
Even if this guy or girl who's been shooting at or lighting fireworks near Art's place gets caught, does anyone think Art is really coming back?
Not me. He's 70. I am 36 and can't stay up that late regularly.

grizpsych

Quote from: slippingaway on December 13, 2015, 03:55:36 PM
I fall on the U.S.C. definition because the letter of the law is the only definition that can cost prison time? Is that not sound enough judgement for ya? It bares the most weight, considering the legal definition. This is beyond harrassment. If shots are fired, this guy is endangering the general population as well as creating ripples on a nationally syndicated talk radio show.

Since Art's push to terrestrial radio, he should enjoy all the protections that our Bill of Rights guarantees against the infringement on his Freedom of Speech/Press. There's a reason it's the first ammendment: it's the most important.
Nope. But all of your other reasoning fits the historical definition of terrorism.

munbeam666

Quote from: Claudius on December 13, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
This is not terrorism. I'm not sure why people on this forum keep calling it that. It's a potential stalker, and if everything AB thinks is happening is happening I would still not call it terrorism.
Stalking IS terrorism. Especially if it involves a gun.
Another nutcase with a gun who shouldn't have one. Like the other previous incidents, a lot of damage has been done

TigerLily

Quote from: starrmtn001 on December 13, 2015, 01:58:12 PM
I agree with you Eddie.  But right now, we need to pull together to keep the show alive.  Heather can do this.  Give her a chance.  This is my return missive to Keith regarding subscription cancellation:

Hi Keith.

Not only do I NOT want a refund, I want to keep my subscription going.  I think Heather stepped up and handled the show in a very professional manner, considering the situation was thrown at her at the very last minute.  This shows me that she has the great potential to make MITD and DMDR quite successful in the future.  Heather can do this.  Give her a chance.

So, I'm not going to jump ship.  I'm going to stay on board, help to shore up the old gal, and ride the high seas with the rest of you.

Great message Sister Starr. With you and the Good Ship DMDN all the way

grizpsych

Quote from: munbeam666 on December 13, 2015, 03:59:36 PM
Stalking IS terrorism. Especially if it involves a gun.
Another nutcase with a gun who shouldn't have one. Lie the others previously, a lot of damage has been done
First and second sentence, I agree with. Third sentence, go take your meds.

BellBoy

Even if this guy or girl who's been shooting at or lighting fireworks near Art's place gets caught, does anyone think Art is really coming back?

Even if Art wanted to, that's probably not even a remote possibility now.

Meister_000

Quote from: slippingaway on December 13, 2015, 03:32:29 PM
"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
    Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
    Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

18 U.S.C. § 2332b defines the term "federal crime of terrorism" as an offense that:

Is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct; and
    Is a violation of one of several listed statutes, including § 930(c) (relating to killing or attempted killing during an attack on a federal facility with a dangerous weapon); and § 1114 (relating to killing or attempted killing of officers and employees of the U.S.).

I'm thinking there's a whole lot more to such definitions than those reported above. Besides, it seems a bit Orwellian to allow the Government to Define the limits and usages and meanings of that term, "Domestic Terrorism" -- given Governments timeless associations with Tyranny! It's probably wise to have Citizen input into the creation and maintainance of such definitions. "We the People" . . . having certain "Inalienable Rights" . . . the "Consent of the Governed" . . . and all that.

Quote from: BellBoy on December 13, 2015, 04:01:52 PM
Even if Art wanted to, that's probably not even a remote possibility now.

It's amazing how fast this went completely to hell. Art is posting about open lines on Friday, then a hour later announces he's quitting then a few hours later Keith pulls the plug, then one of Art's biggest affiliates bails and now we've got Heather or Art replays for 30 days to fulfill the contracts. In the process this fucked literally dozens of people, destroyed about two and half years or work and completely disgraced Art. All of it falling apart in hours.

I guess the terrorists won.

slippingaway

Quote from: VoteQuimby on December 13, 2015, 04:05:07 PM
It's amazing how fast this went completely to hell. Art is posting about open lines on Friday, then a hour later announces he's quitting then a few hours later Keith pulls the plug and now we've got Heather or Art replays for 30 days to fulfill the contracts. In the process this fucked literally dozens of people, destroyed about two and half years or work and completely disgraced Art. All of it falling apart in hours.

Fuck you for being so damned correct, Quim...

TigerLily

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 13, 2015, 02:09:15 PM
When? Where? What circumstances?  ???
You can have access to the archives for 4.99 American.  Put your money where your mouth is, Pud

aldousburbank

Quote from: slippingaway on December 13, 2015, 04:07:50 PM
Fuck you for being so damned correct, Quim...
I second that fuck you!

It's not a matter of that, it's a matter of whether the affiliates are willing to play along if he does come back.

phrodo

I too subscribed to Other Side of Midnight .. just to show my support for DMDN. And am of course keeping my sub to MiTD as long as the lights are on there. I also emailed Keith and told him he oughta add a donate button on his sites.

Claudius

Quote from: grizpsych on December 13, 2015, 03:36:15 PM
Dictionary.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

These supposed incidents easily fulfill the first definition.
The dictionary is not your best friend for this. Terrorism experts squabble all the time about what is and what is not terror, using the lowest common denominator definition is not a good idea.

The federal classification which you just listed does not in any way support your claim of terrorism. 

QuoteIs calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct; and
    Is a violation of one of several listed statutes, including § 930(c) (relating to killing or attempted killing during an attack on a federal facility with a dangerous weapon); and § 1114 (relating to killing or attempted killing of officers and employees of the U.S.).

aldousburbank

You know what? Where's Ft Rock?

chefist

It's amazing how fast this went completely to hell. Art is posting about open lines on Friday, then a hour later announces he's quitting then a few hours later Keith pulls the plug, then one of Art's biggest affiliates bails and now we've got Heather or Art replays for 30 days to fulfill the contracts. In the process this fucked literally dozens of people, destroyed about two and half years or work and completely disgraced Art. All of it falling apart in hours.

That means it was always balancing on the edge of a knife... My gut felt that, but I was trying to be optimistic... You can never go home...why?...home isn't just a place, but a place in time...lost to the echos of the past...dust in the wind...

grizpsych

Quote from: Meister_000 on December 13, 2015, 04:03:53 PM
I'm thinking there's a whole lot more to such definitions than those reported above. Besides, it seems a bit Orwellian to allow the Government to Define the limits and usages and meanings of that term, "Domestic Terrorism" -- given Governments timeless associations with Tyranny! It's probably wise to have Citizen input into the creation and maintainance of such definitions. "We the People" . . . having certain "Inalienable Rights" . . . the "Consent of the Governed" . . . and all that.
Excellent thought!

aldousburbank

Quote from: chefist on December 13, 2015, 04:13:40 PM
That means it was always balancing on the edge of a knife... My gut felt that, but I was trying to be optimistic... You can never go home...why?...home isn't just a place, but a place in time...lost to the echos of the past...dust in the wind...
You can't put the water back in the bong once it spills and things of this nature.

Quote from: coaster on December 13, 2015, 03:51:25 PM
I'm no law professional, but I do believe the stalker is a poopyhead in the first degree.

Please stop using technical jargon. Not all of us went to law school.

trostol

Quote from: coaster on December 13, 2015, 03:51:25 PM
I'm no law professional, but I do believe the stalker is a poopyhead in the first degree.

and has cooties

grizpsych

Quote from: Claudius on December 13, 2015, 04:10:51 PM
The dictionary is not your best friend for this. Terrorism experts squabble all the time about what is and what is not terror, using the lowest common denominator definition is not a good idea.

The federal classification which you just listed does not in any way support your claim of terrorism.
I completely disagree. In broad terms, terrorism is an act of violence meant as a threat to the free expression of philosophical ideas. This is supposedly what is happening with AB.

slippingaway

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 13, 2015, 04:15:48 PM
You can't put the water back in the bong once it spills and things of this nature.
No, but you could smoke the carpet. I don't recommend it, but you could...

MR. Spock

Quote from: chefist on December 13, 2015, 04:13:40 PM
That is very true. Home is a place and a place in time. We may go to a place but we cant go back to that time unless we have a TARDIS.

Apparently. MITD was making money, correct? If Art was just messing around for free, his quick decision would make more sense. Money isn't EVERYTHING, but it's something. Add in Keith's 2 years of hard work, too... Unfortunately, it's 99.9% moot at this point, anyway.

whoozit

I've heard of sea lawyers now we have thread lawyers.  Too many damn lawyers.

Sabu2K

Did you really think it'd end any of way then a big clusterfuck...

Quote from: grizpsych on December 13, 2015, 04:21:59 PM
I completely disagree. In broad terms, terrorism is an act of violence meant as a threat to the free expression of philosophical ideas. This is supposedly what is happening with AB.

You'd have to verify intent first, correct?

trostol

Quote from: whoozit on December 13, 2015, 04:25:36 PM
I've heard of sea lawyers now we have thread lawyers.  Too many damn lawyers.

OBJECTION YOUR HONOR!!!!!

Hells Mole

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 13, 2015, 04:11:35 PM
You know what? Where's Ft Rock?

In Central Oregon, of course!