• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

pyewacket

Thank you, Onan. I don't remember that one- it looks good and now it's on my list.  :)

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on October 21, 2015, 06:06:34 PM
Thank you, Onan. I don't remember that one- it looks good and now it's on my list.  :)
Oh, Rolling Thunder IS a good one. William Devane, TLJ, Dabney Coleman (if memory serves) and some other good actors/character actors. One of the better "get off my lawn" revenge type movies in addition to ex-Vietnam returning to society stuff. What good thing about all those guys is they make some gems, great movies, and also some really awful stuff. A check is a check and acting is a job.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: albrecht on October 21, 2015, 06:16:35 PM
Oh, Rolling Thunder IS a good one. William Devane, TLJ, Dabney Coleman (if memory serves) and some other good actors/character actors. One of the better "get off my lawn" revenge type movies in addition to ex-Vietnam returning to society stuff. What good thing about all those guys is they make some gems, great movies, and also some really awful stuff. A check is a check and acting is a job.

Mostly written by Paul Schrader during his sadistic fantasies peak. Giving us The Yazuka, Taxi Driver, Blue Collar, Hardcore, American Gigolo and Raging Bull in the process.

albrecht

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 21, 2015, 06:52:40 PM
    Mostly written by Paul Schrader during his sadistic fantasies peak. Giving us The Yazuka, Taxi Driver, Blue Collar, Hardcore, American Gigolo and Raging Bull in the process.
George C. Scott I think actually played Schrader in "Hardcore" (in a psychological way, as he was raised Dutch Calvinist in Michigan.) Another great film that Hollywood needed to "knock off" in the Cage-driven vehicle, but not a good movie, "8mm." Hollywood tries but can't make original movies and can't reproduce the "grittiness" of that era of movies when they try to remake. I guess because one must be inclusive, politically-correct, and not make moral judgements or offend or because we don't have as good as actors (where looks must be better than acting- not that this wasn't important in the past but usually only the actresses was this a concern and even then not as important as it is today.)

Quote from: albrecht on October 21, 2015, 07:02:57 PM
George C. Scott I think actually played Schrader in "Hardcore" (in a psychological way, as he was raised Dutch Calvinist in Michigan.) Another great film that Hollywood needed to "knock off" in the Cage-driven vehicle, but not a good movie, "8mm." Hollywood tries but can't make original movies and can't reproduce the "grittiness" of that era of movies when they try to remake. I guess because one must be inclusive, politically-correct, and not make moral judgements or offend or because we don't have as good as actors (where looks must be better than acting?

I think about this a lot actually and how it's reflected in our society. When you think about classic movie stars...

George C. Scott - Bad Ass Marine

James Stewart - Bad Ass World War Two Pilot

Steve McQueen - Bad Ass Marine and noted Tough Guy

Humphrey Bogart - Navy man who saw action and his famous facial tick was from shrapnel during a battle

Lee Marvin - Bad Ass Marine who was discharged after being wounded in battle

James Cagney - Grew up on the mean streets of New York and became famous replicating the gangsters he watched in his neighborhood

Just about every early star actor I can list had sort of military or wild early life before getting into acting. All of them lived through a few decades where literally tens of millions of people died through nation sanctioned murder. Hell a lot of them had probably killed someone in real life before. Plus most of them were functioning alcoholics while today's stars are pill heads.

Now because of the current economics of Hollywood, you just have this conveyor belt of pretty boy candy asses who came from big name schools. No offense but I smell the bitch in most of them.

Rix Gins

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 21, 2015, 07:23:53 PM
I think about this a lot actually and how it's reflected in our society. When you think about classic movie stars...

George C. Scott - Bad Ass Marine

James Stewart - Bad Ass World War Two Pilot

Steve McQueen - Bad Ass Marine and noted Tough Guy

Humphrey Bogart - Navy man who saw action and his famous facial tick was from shrapnel during a battle

Lee Marvin - Bad Ass Marine who was discharged after being wounded in battle

James Cagney - Grew up on the mean streets of New York and became famous replicating the gangsters he watched in his neighborhood

Just about every early star actor I can list had sort of military or wild early life before getting into acting. All of them lived through a few decades where literally tens of millions of people died through nation sanctioned murder. Hell a lot of them had probably killed someone in real life before. Plus most of them were functioning alcoholics while today's stars are pill heads.

Now because of the current economics of Hollywood, you just have this conveyor belt of pretty boy candy asses who came from big name schools. No offense but I smell the bitch in most of them.

Lee Marvin quote:  Tequila. Straight. There's a real polite drink. You keep drinking until you finally take one more and it just won't go down. Then you know you've reached your limit.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: albrecht on October 21, 2015, 07:02:57 PM
George C. Scott I think actually played Schrader in "Hardcore" (in a psychological way, as he was raised Dutch Calvinist in Michigan.) Another great film that Hollywood needed to "knock off" in the Cage-driven vehicle, but not a good movie, "8mm." Hollywood tries but can't make original movies and can't reproduce the "grittiness" of that era of movies when they try to remake. I guess because one must be inclusive, politically-correct, and not make moral judgements or offend or because we don't have as good as actors (where looks must be better than acting- not that this wasn't important in the past but usually only the actresses was this a concern and even then not as important as it is today.)

Yeah, Scharder's characters had a bit of autobiography in them, except for "Blue Collar"-where Leonard Schrader said his brother didn't give a shit about workers or unions, and he was a seedy son of a bitch. He'd put a bit of his sordid personality into another's like Artie Bremer for Taxi Driver, Sharon Tate's father for Hardcore.

Taxi Driver is a rare thing of beauty. It's a film that cannot possibly be remade. And the original script was toned down with the Keitel character getting a proto-Dick Wolf "remodeling", which Schrader apparently was livid about, saying he never saw a white pimp in his "research".

Catsmile

NCfOM

albrecht

some comments in another thread reminded me of this great movie, though oft over-looked:
Anyone remember the film "Over The Edge?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l-4MW_jbfg
1979. What a great year for movies! 'The Warriors' and the above gem!

Caruthers612

I tried--really tried--to watch Terminator: Genisys a couple of nights ago. I forced my way about twenty minutes into it, and only to gaze at Emilia Clarke. If the original Terminator was a horse, Genisys was what happened when they fed the horse too many oats.  :o

I'm watching Red Heat with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Man I miss 80s movies. There's just a pure insanity to them that I suspect is a byproduct of cocaine and Reagan. But you want to have a bunch of beefy ripped dudes fight in the snow for no reason followed by a scene with lots and lots of cocaine? Got to be an 80s movie.

Also hysterical to watch movies from an era when James Belushi was considered a bad ass.

In a very homophobic era, it's odd that America had such a fascination with beef at the time.

Caruthers612

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 23, 2015, 12:10:56 PM

In a very homophobic era, it's odd that America had such a fascination with beef at the time.

I don't get it. What's homoerotic about that.  :o

Rix Gins

The Andy Griffith Show: Season 5, episode 18  "The Rehabilitation of Otis."  Dang! I'd almost forgotten how funny Otis Campbell (Hal Smith) was.

Caruthers612

I just finished watching Season 2 of Penny Dreadful. If y'ain't seen this show yet, start at episode 1 and git yer ass in gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXHfEqMcis

onan

Just watched Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russel, Richard Jenkins, Patrick Wilson, and Matthew Fox.

Tarantino meets John Ford.

Several white knuckle moments, horror and six shooters, and some pretty graphic scenes.

You've been warned, so enjoy.

The Visit M. Knight Shyamalan, not bad but predictable. I hate smart mouthed kids and films about them.

The Martian Very good, especially all the geeky computer stuff like hexadecimal numbers and ASCII. I was in my element here. The resourcefulness was great fun to watch. Yes, some of it was very, very far fetched, but it worked as a fun upbeat film and a nice advertisement for NASA. For once the crew didn't die one by one which was the plot of the last 10 or so space exploration films I've seen.

Prime Suspect Helen Mirren. The first few series were great and then the producer who owned the rights decided to mess with the character of Jane Tennyson, and brought it all down.

The Code Great Netflix series about maths, the Fibonacci code, the golden mean and so on, and how they are woven into the universe on a micro and macro scale.

American Horror Story Freak season. Gave up after the first episode, I guess because my clownyphobia kicked in.

zmbabwe

How to Get Away With Murder on Netflix.  It's fun, ridiculous, and has a couple of standout acting performances. 

paladin1991

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 11, 2015, 03:34:15 PM
Watched Spooks Run Wild (b/w 1941) last night, for the umpteenth time.  Stars Bella Lugosi and The East Side Kids.  Fun movie to watch.  Bella seems to be having a fun time and Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall and Ernest Morrison put in solid performances. 

In a nutshell, some under privileged street urchins get rounded up in Hell's Kitchen and are taken to a summer camp out in the woods.  They wind up in a haunted house.

The thing that struck me while watching this was the dialogue.  It's snappy and funny...kind a like the posts on BellGab.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that half a dozen BellGab dudes were magically reduced in age and were then transported back to 1941 to appear in the movie. 

I own a store bought copy but there is a YouTube offering that is just as good.  Just watch it after midnight.  Adds more flavor that way.

Here is Scruno being surprised by a spider.  "A white spider!" he exclaims.  "Must be the ghost of a black widow."

Yeah...it doesn't take much to make me laugh.
Holy shit that takes me back.  When I was a kid Channel 9 here in the Lost Angels basin would play the East Side kids movies on the weekend.  Some of the flicks were pretty damn good.  Others, well if i were to watch them today it would be with the kids, a couple of pizzas and a six pack.  Each.  That way I could drink the kids leftovers. 

paladin1991

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 21, 2015, 12:22:00 PM
Oh man, I found this movie on Netflix and it's one of my favorite newer films. The unofficial sequel to Payback, Mel Gibson as a sociopath career criminal sent to a Mexican prison. I know we're not supposed to like cool things or people who are politically incorrect but this is the most bad ass perfect action movie I've seen in a long time. It blew my mind the first time I saw it.

'The Gringo?'

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on October 22, 2015, 06:13:16 PM
some comments in another thread reminded me of this great movie, though oft over-looked:
Anyone remember the film "Over The Edge?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l-4MW_jbfg
1979. What a great year for movies! 'The Warriors' and the above gem!
I remember watching that.  Late night cable.  1979? 

Eddie Coyle

Bill Murray is responsible for more bombs than George Metesky and The Provos combined. "Rock The Casbah" opens in 13th place with 1.4 Million this weekend.

GravitySucks

Amelie a great little French Indie film that is one of my all time favorites to watch every couple of years.

Caruthers612

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 28, 2015, 09:36:26 PM
Amelie a great little French Indie film that is one of my all time favorites to watch every couple of years.

I enjoyed that. Watched it when it came out of video, years ago.
             Anyone here a fan of Gotham? I think it's pretty effing awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q244TMtDkbs

"So here's an extra towel, some toiletries, and, yeah, I'll be in the office if you need anything. Oh, and the password for the Wi-Fi is 'mother.'

"All caps."

- Emma, from Bates Motel, Season 3.

pate

L'autre Monde (The Otherworld) 2013

http://www.fantasiafestival.com/2013/en/films-schedule/193/l-autre-monde

On Netflix called "The Otherworld" (English & French mix, subtitled in English)

I found it entertaining, and kept thinking of this crazy place known as BellGab while watching it...

About an hour and a half of your time is risked by watching it.