• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

SredniVashtar

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2018, 12:34:34 PM
Named after Magnus? Or is that a common surname?

He means Portsmouth, which is nicknamed Pompey.

chefist

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2018, 12:40:22 PM
He means Portsmouth, which is nicknamed Pompey.

Ah, ok...what are the origins for the nickname? People wish it would be consumed by volcanic ash?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2018, 12:41:20 PM
Ah, ok...what are the origins for the nickname? People wish it would be consumed by volcanic ash?

You're thinking of Pompeii

In the late 18thC some sailors from Portsmouth climbed Pompey's pillar in Egypt and became known as the Pompey boys and the name stuck.

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 15, 2018, 05:43:53 AM
I call complete and total bullshit on Heather's claim that Airyn says Alex saw a ghost, and that he said "papa".

Art posted the first photo of Alex in July of last year.  I don't know his exact birth date, but let's say he was born around then.

No baby is saying "papa".   Even if he were saying words, "da" would be about as complex as it gets.

She's full of shit.
I was thinking the same thing.

K_Dubb

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2018, 12:41:20 PM

There are a bunch of theories, but the British are wont to paper themselves in classical allusions.  A distant Scottish ancestor of mine managed to turn the humble name Tolmie into Ptolemy by the same motions.

chefist

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2018, 12:44:26 PM

In the late 18thC some sailors from Portsmouth climbed Pompey's pillar in Egypt and became known as the Pompey boys and the name stuck.

Interesting...

Where do Chav's come from? Chavland? That's right that? Innit?

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2018, 12:49:47 PM
There are a bunch of theories, but the British are wont to paper themselves in classical allusions.  A distant Scottish ancestor of mine managed to turn the humble name Tolmie into Ptolemy by the same motions.

Oh, wow...I do a little genealogy as well...my father's side were Scottish as well. Dropped the Mc after getting to the states.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2018, 12:34:34 PM
Named after Magnus? Or is that a common surname?

It's slang for Portsmouth.. I don't know the origins of it, sailors probably invented it.  :)

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 15, 2018, 12:32:33 PM
Hampshire is in the south of England. As is Pompey.. I know lots about American. I probably know more about it than you do about the UK.

Then we're left with the inescapable conclusion that you're an economic illiterate.

I was gracious enough to give you the chance to demonstrate otherwise, but...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 15, 2018, 12:44:26 PM

See. I knew a nancyboy southerner would know the answer..Well done that man!!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 15, 2018, 12:55:59 PM
Then we're left with the inescapable conclusion that you're an economic illiterate.

I was gracious enough to give you the chance to demonstrate otherwise, but...

Eh? I don't do well wiv numbers and fings...It's me leg yer see..

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 15, 2018, 12:33:33 PM
Tiz. so. But not unheard of. Technically it has had one or two.

https://www.livescience.com/16016-hurricane-katia-hits-britain.html
Hurricane history

From 1851 to 2010, only 10 extratropical storms, typically the tail ends of tropical cyclones, have hit within 200 miles (322 kilometers) of Ireland, Feltgen said. Hurricane Debbie was the only tropical hurricane to make landfall in that area, clipping the far northwest of the British Isles in 1961.

By the time storms make it across the Atlantic they are no longer getting their energy from the warm water, and they are similar to the winter storms that blow across the ocean, Feltgen said. Also, the strongest winds are no longer confined to the storm's core as they are in a tightly wound hurricane. Katia is expected to bring winds of up to 80 mph (129 kph).

The last time Britain saw winds this strong was in October 1996, when the end of Hurricane Lili pushed across the Atlantic just one day after being downgraded from a hurricane. With winds of up to 90 mph (145 kph), the storm killed five people in Britain and caused $250 million (150 million pounds) in damage.

Winds from former hurricanes hit Britain and Ireland in 2009, three times in 2006, twice in 2000 and once each in 1996 and 1998, according to the Met Office, Britain's official weather agency.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2018, 12:51:46 PM
Oh, wow...I do a little genealogy as well...my father's side were Scottish as well. Dropped the Mc after getting to the states.

I'm big into genealogy myself. It's a fun thing to do, if you have an interest for people and places (and family history).   One of my Scottish ancestors founded the first Presbyterian church in Butler county, Pennsylvania.

After having left the cult I was raised in  ::) I've come to learn that I have a shit-ton of direct ancestors who were ministers of some kind.  :-\  Not sure what I think of that. Oh well.

Metron2267

Quote from: Tommie Knocker on May 15, 2018, 12:48:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

If you listened to the actual segment she specifically quoted the baby as saying "da-da"...

hth

Quote from: Juan on May 15, 2018, 09:46:29 AM
This show has to be at least 10-hours long.

It seems to me that if I were raped by space aliens, I wouldn’t continue to go to the cabin and try to lure them in.
Maybe you would if you liked it  ;)

chefist

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 15, 2018, 12:56:33 PM

See. I knew a nancyboy southerner would know the answer..Well done that man!!

Just Snoogling it and found there is a National Monument (rock formation) named that as well in the Yellowstone area. Signed by William Clarke himself...so Pompey's Pillar must have been rather well known in the past...

BettyO417

Quote from: brig on May 15, 2018, 12:30:34 PM
Was MITD w/HLW on the schedule before?  I don't see it on there now.

Hi Brig! Yes I had seen it advertised Big and Bold on the home page! There on her announcement night and GONE today!

chefist

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 15, 2018, 01:01:20 PM
I'm big into genealogy myself. It's a fun thing to do, if you have an interest for people and places (and family history).   One of my Scottish ancestors founded the first Presbyterian church in Butler county, Pennsylvania.

After having left the cult I was raised in  ::) I've come to learn that I have a shit-ton of direct ancestors who were ministers of some kind.  :-\  Not sure what I think of that. Oh well.

Ha...never thought Presbyterians were cultish.  ;D Seemed like quiet, hardware store owners to me. I was raised Jehovah Witness...now, want to talk about cults?

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 15, 2018, 12:57:33 PM

That said:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm
Discontinuance of M3
On March 23, 2006, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System will cease publication of the M3 monetary aggregate. The Board will also cease publishing the following components: large-denomination time deposits, repurchase agreements (RPs), and Eurodollars. The Board will continue to publish institutional money market mutual funds as a memorandum item in this release.

Measures of large-denomination time deposits will continue to be published by the Board in the Flow of Funds Accounts (Z.1 release) on a quarterly basis and in the H.8 release on a weekly basis (for commercial banks).

M3 does not appear to convey any additional information about economic activity that is not already embodied in M2 and has not played a role in the monetary policy process for many years. Consequently, the Board judged that the costs of collecting the underlying data and publishing M3 outweigh the benefits.

Discuss.

Dyna-X

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 15, 2018, 01:01:20 PM

It means if you were so inclined, you probably would have what it takes to start a cult or maybe become a politician - same basic skill set :)

bellNwhistle

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2018, 01:03:23 PM
Ha...never thought Presbyterians were cultish.  ;D Seemed like quiet, hardware store owners to me. I was raised Jehovah Witness...now, want to talk about cults?

No, no.. look up Worldwide Church of God.
They’re along the same lines as JW’s. I know because my aunt is one.

Nobody

Quote from: dsz on May 15, 2018, 12:13:35 PM
WTF is a grimilen?

A near-illiterate man's way of spelling "gremlin."

BobGrau

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2018, 12:49:47 PM
...A distant Scottish ancestor of mine managed to turn the humble name Tolmie into Ptolemy by the same motions.

It's true, we Scots are pretty distant.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 15, 2018, 12:57:33 PM

Yer leg, eh? I fought it mighta been yer Nobby Stiles lol

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 15, 2018, 01:04:49 PM
It means if you were so inclined, you probably would have what it takes to start a cult or maybe become a politician - same basic skill set :)

Planning on it. I’m already ordained. I just need a fancy name for my religion. Order of the Crazy Cat Ladies, perhaps.  ???

K_Dubb

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2018, 01:01:58 PM
Just Snoogling it and found there is a National Monument (rock formation) named that as well in the Yellowstone area. Signed by William Clarke himself...so Pompey's Pillar must have been rather well known in the past...

Yeah if I remember right Pompey was the name of one of Sacagawea's kids.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 15, 2018, 01:03:40 PM
That said:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm
Discontinuance of M3
On March 23, 2006, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System will cease publication of the M3 monetary aggregate. The Board will also cease publishing the following components: large-denomination time deposits, repurchase agreements (RPs), and Eurodollars. The Board will continue to publish institutional money market mutual funds as a memorandum item in this release.

Measures of large-denomination time deposits will continue to be published by the Board in the Flow of Funds Accounts (Z.1 release) on a quarterly basis and in the H.8 release on a weekly basis (for commercial banks).

M3 does not appear to convey any additional information about economic activity that is not already embodied in M2 and has not played a role in the monetary policy process for many years. Consequently, the Board judged that the costs of collecting the underlying data and publishing M3 outweigh the benefits.

Discuss.

In short, open season to launder money and play shell games.  ;)

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 15, 2018, 09:55:27 AM
It depended on the 'stalker' bullshit being credible. And in their arrogance they probably believed that everyone else was as fucked up as they were. And a great many did go along with the story, some even having elaborate and implausible scenarios mapped out as to how and why certain things happened although common sense said otherwise. No doubt some still believe there was a stalker.

The fact that Wad was at the Bell's from the start isn't really a surprise, but to invent a ludicrous stalker story to cover it up and then let those helping her in good faith be duped too is psychotic. If her and Bell weren't doing the dirty on Airyn, what other explanation do they have? Aliens?
So then maybe the stalker/sniper was Art's wife