• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art's Charts: Midnight in the Desert Bumper Music

Started by Dyna-X, July 28, 2015, 12:56:12 AM

Dyna-X

Thurs (10/15) with Jim Elvidge and Cynthia Larson  (and I had a serious time slip affiliated with making the Chart for this show, not just the delay but something else that spooks me.

Dyna-X

Friday (10/16) Open Lines - Superpowers. Have a great weekend!

ItsOver

Maybe I should start a separate thread but with Ghost to Ghost on the horizon, any suggestions for bumper music for that special show?  I definitely vote for my all time Halloween favorite, Blue Oyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper."  There are plenty of other candidates out there, including a number with "ghost" in the title. ;)

Dyna-X

Quote from: ItsOver on October 17, 2015, 09:48:02 AM
Maybe I should start a separate thread but with Ghost to Ghost on the horizon, any suggestions for bumper music for that special show?  I definitely vote for my all time Halloween favorite, Blue Oyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper."  There are plenty of other candidates out there, including a number with "ghost" in the title. ;)

That is a good idea to start this on a separate thread with the specific title (I don't think he is aware of this one) ! If you start now that might give him time to locate the songs and set them up.

Dyna-X, this is just one of the coolest things anyone has done on BellGab.  I actually love Art's music so much... I was thrilled to find that someone's collecting the bumper music in one place.  Will save me from having to Shazam things every night.

I've used your data to make a public playlist on Spotify comprising all the MITD songs you've listed, to date (search:  Art Bell - Midnight in the Desert - Bumper Music):

https://open.spotify.com/user/1255715334/playlist/5O953sLfjzsftIoSMp5zMZ

If anyone's interested... feel free to follow the list, and I'll keep it regularly updated with anything new.

A small handful of songs are simply not available on Spotify, as far as I can tell:

George Fischoff - Little Ballerina Blue
Harry Gregson-Williams - Jake Lonegran
Loreena McKinnett - Midnight Ride Across the Caucuses
Metisse - Boom Boom Ba
Rihanna - Sexuality
Scott Fitzgerald - Thunderdrums

Another couple have covers/analogs, but not originals:

Loreena McKennitt - The Mummers' Dance
Loreena McKinnett - Prologue

I'll try to keep my eye out for the originals, in case they appear.

THANK YOU, again, Dyna-X.  This is amazing.  And I love the spreadsheet reaching back to the 90s.  Only going to do MITD in the Spotify list (partly cause it took forever, partly cause it's most current), but that list is excellent--going to make great use of that.

Dyna-X

Quote from: chandlerkaiden on October 19, 2015, 03:03:09 PM
Dyna-X, this is just one of the coolest things anyone has done on BellGab.  I actually love Art's music so much... I was thrilled to find that someone's collecting the bumper music in one place.  Will save me from having to Shazam things every night.

I've used your data to make a public playlist on Spotify comprising all the MITD songs you've listed, to date (search:  Art Bell - Midnight in the Desert - Bumper Music):

https://open.spotify.com/user/1255715334/playlist/5O953sLfjzsftIoSMp5zMZ

If anyone's interested... feel free to follow the list, and I'll keep it regularly updated with anything new.

A small handful of songs are simply not available on Spotify, as far as I can tell:

George Fischoff - Little Ballerina Blue
Harry Gregson-Williams - Jake Lonegran
Loreena McKinnett - Midnight Ride Across the Caucuses
Metisse - Boom Boom Ba
Rihanna - Sexuality
Scott Fitzgerald - Thunderdrums

Another couple have covers/analogs, but not originals:

Loreena McKennitt - The Mummers' Dance
Loreena McKinnett - Prologue

I'll try to keep my eye out for the originals, in case they appear.

THANK YOU, again, Dyna-X.  This is amazing.  And I love the spreadsheet reaching back to the 90s.  Only going to do MITD in the Spotify list (partly cause it took forever, partly cause it's most current), but that list is excellent--going to make great use of that.

Actually, thank you for the kind words and setting up a spotify for everyone! Tonight was a rough night with the stream being down although a few lucky listeners got a chance to hear Art playing "When the Man Comes Around" and "Baker Street" with Art reading a time hack at 25 minutes -- then a bunch of odds and ends followed a replay of the Andrew Basiago show.  I would listen to Art even if he just rambled about the weather and played bumpers all night, wouldnt you? Anyhow, hope tomorrow is better - "come hell or high water" he is going to have Dr. David Jacobs back for a second interview.

Quote from: Dyna-X on October 20, 2015, 01:16:26 AM
Actually, thank you for the kind words and setting up a spotify for everyone! Tonight was a rough night with the stream being down although a few lucky listeners got a chance to hear Art playing "When the Man Comes Around" and "Baker Street" with Art reading a time hack at 25 minutes -- then a bunch of odds and ends followed a replay of the Andrew Basiago show.  I would listen to Art even if he just rambled about the weather and played bumpers all night, wouldnt you? Anyhow, hope tomorrow is better - "come hell or high water" he is going to have Dr. David Jacobs back for a second interview.

Very welcome!  I work with data in my job... goofy at it is, I just LOVED that spreadsheet, hahaha.  Yeah, last night was a total bummer... I was looking forward to that.  I spent twenty minutes trying to connect before going online and realizing it was everyone else, not just me.  I heard some fades in and out before they started the repeat... "Nobody can hear me, don't even know why I'm talking, except I'm a talk host, so I guess I better," that kind of thing.  I think I heard "The Man Comes Around" at one point.  "We're just sitting here listening to music."  I waited for Art to post on FB before I gave up and went to Netflix.

Actually, odd thing about it is... that time, a few weeks ago, that someone messed with the wires on his property... his guest the night he came back and talked about what had happened was David Jacobs.  As I recall, it wasn't Jacobs that got bumped during the trouble, but if you listen to the first Jacobs MITD show, the audio would blip and crackle and so forth, cause the problem had only just been repaired.  That's probably been mentioned elsewhere on BellGab, but there's SO much on here, I can't possibly keep up with it.

Dyna-X

Quote from: chandlerkaiden on October 20, 2015, 09:55:51 AM
Very welcome!  I work with data in my job... goofy at it is, I just LOVED that spreadsheet, hahaha.  Yeah, last night was a total bummer... I was looking forward to that.  I spent twenty minutes trying to connect before going online and realizing it was everyone else, not just me.  I heard some fades in and out before they started the repeat... "Nobody can hear me, don't even know why I'm talking, except I'm a talk host, so I guess I better," that kind of thing.  I think I heard "The Man Comes Around" at one point.  "We're just sitting here listening to music."  I waited for Art to post on FB before I gave up and went to Netflix.

Actually, odd thing about it is... that time, a few weeks ago, that someone messed with the wires on his property... his guest the night he came back and talked about what had happened was David Jacobs.  As I recall, it wasn't Jacobs that got bumped during the trouble, but if you listen to the first Jacobs MITD show, the audio would blip and crackle and so forth, cause the problem had only just been repaired.  That's probably been mentioned elsewhere on BellGab, but there's SO much on here, I can't possibly keep up with it.
Good catch on noticing this! That is really disturbing how both of these interruptions were before a Dr. Jacobs interview. Art implies he knows more, but doesn't want to talk about it at this point. I'm just glad that neither Art nor Jacobs were spooked away and the show went on without any problems.

Tuesday (10/20) With Dr. David Jacobs

Dyna-X

What a night! I'm just thankful that Art, Airyn and Asia are all safe as well and lets not forget Bateman who got mugged at the same time the situation was happening outside the Bell household. Its impressive how well Art held his cool under pressure. It was almost surreal when he went to check outside, armed like a "High Noon" situation as we waited while Thunderdrums was playing. Tonight, hopefully, will be Cusco calm.

Dyna-X

Thursday (10/22) with Douglas Mulhall on Nanotechnology - a fairly upbeat and relaxing night :)

Dyna-X

Friday (10/23) Open Lines - Back to the Future
Was it just me or did Art go to the second break with no bumper?

Dyna-X

Ciardelo

Dyna-X

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 29, 2015, 02:53:32 PM
Thanks for compiling and posting these Dyna-X
Thanks Ciardelo. I do my best, but there is one that baffled me last night - I've checked his requests thread, last nights live thread, and a couple other live forums' threads - googled like mad for "songs with church bell and wind" etc and nothing! I did find one by Horde that was similar - but it went into a metal sound...so that wasn't it.

Thursday (10/29) With Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Dyna-X on October 30, 2015, 07:52:07 AM
Thanks Ciardelo. I do my best, but there is one that baffled me last night - I've checked his requests thread, last nights live thread, and a couple other live forums' threads - googled like mad for "songs with church bell and wind" etc and nothing! I did find one by Horde that was similar - but it went into a metal sound...so that wasn't it.

Maybe Keith can let you know.  I wonder, is the bumper music posted anywhere on the Art Bell site, like the old days?

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dyna-X on October 30, 2015, 07:52:07 AM

Shazam and Soundhound agree that it is JEAN MICHEL JARRE. OXYGENE 4.

https://youtu.be/P_I2ch8_TXc

Hope this helps out a little :) I'm not entirely sold. I just gave it a quick listen and didn't catch any bells.

nbirnes

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 30, 2015, 03:16:41 PM
Shazam and Soundhound agree that it is JEAN MICHEL JARRE. OXYGENE 4.

https://youtu.be/P_I2ch8_TXc

Hope this helps out a little :) I'm not entirely sold. I just gave it a quick listen and didn't catch any bells.

Love Oxygene, but don't think that was the tune. I heard church bells tolling, and that's all.

Have you ever wondered what subtle clues Art sends out with his selections each night? Or are they totally random?

Dyna-X

Quote from: nbirnes on October 30, 2015, 03:43:43 PM
Love Oxygene, but don't think that was the tune. I heard church bells tolling, and that's all.

Have you ever wondered what subtle clues Art sends out with his selections each night? Or are they totally random?

Oxygene was definitely not the selection from Thursday. The bells were much stronger and "organic" like AC/DC's "Hell's Bells", there was some wind noise as well. Then an electronic sound crept in that sounded like a keyboard generated salsa sound vaguely - almost like the theme for Katz in the cartoon series "Courage the Cowardly Dog."

As for subtle clues on Art's selections he has always picked ones that are a mix of mostly random and a few deliberate to fit the theme of the night - he was slightly more thematic in the old days.  When the theme is more paranormal expect more Loreena McKennitt and Cusco and the Highwayman, more disco for a party flavor on Friday night open lines, and When the Man Comes Around on nights when we are talking End of the World kinds of topics.  In the C2C days he would pick Zager and Evans' "In the Year 2525" and Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction." When a guest started making far out and dubious statements he might subtly rib them with the Dobbie Brothers "What a Fool Believes" or Fleetwood Mac's "Hypnotized" or "Tell Me Lies."  About 80% (if I were to throw out a percentage) of today's plays are general purpose Art favorites for all occasions. He is talented enough in his choices that it is not obvious enough to bystanders that any of the choices are along a theme, as that would appear campy like the competition. Art has the talent of being able to hit a point like a sledgehammer while remaining so subtle that only a select few keen observers would notice, while at the same time pumping up the excitement (with an even keel) that nobody is looking for the subtle, between the lines kinds of things.  The Art of Talk is secretly the Art of How to know exactly what you are doing and have it come across casually by letting natural entropy (chaos) set in, whereas with most hosts they are too busy to make it look like they know what they are doing (with an overly rigid plan) and fighting entropy.

Dyna-X

Friday (10/30) - Dead Air.  Fortunately, there was no dead air, its as if naming a show like that is like the Showbiz "Break a Leg" superstition.

What newer music (2013-2015) is Art playing? I've heard some newer stuff (Arcade Fire?) but can't remember names.

Quote from: Dyna-X on November 01, 2015, 12:07:53 AM
Oxygene was definitely not the selection from Thursday. The bells were much stronger and "organic" like AC/DC's "Hell's Bells", there was some wind noise as well. Then an electronic sound crept in that sounded like a keyboard generated salsa sound vaguely - almost like the theme for Katz in the cartoon series "Courage the Cowardly Dog."

As for subtle clues on Art's selections he has always picked ones that are a mix of mostly random and a few deliberate to fit the theme of the night - he was slightly more thematic in the old days.  When the theme is more paranormal expect more Loreena McKennitt and Cusco and the Highwayman, more disco for a party flavor on Friday night open lines, and When the Man Comes Around on nights when we are talking End of the World kinds of topics.  In the C2C days he would pick Zager and Evans' "In the Year 2525" and Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction." When a guest started making far out and dubious statements he might subtly rib them with the Dobbie Brothers "What a Fool Believes" or Fleetwood Mac's "Hypnotized" or "Tell Me Lies."  About 80% (if I were to throw out a percentage) of today's plays are general purpose Art favorites for all occasions. He is talented enough in his choices that it is not obvious enough to bystanders that any of the choices are along a theme, as that would appear campy like the competition. Art has the talent of being able to hit a point like a sledgehammer while remaining so subtle that only a select few keen observers would notice, while at the same time pumping up the excitement (with an even keel) that nobody is looking for the subtle, between the lines kinds of things.  The Art of Talk is secretly the Art of How to know exactly what you are doing and have it come across casually by letting natural entropy (chaos) set in, whereas with most hosts they are too busy to make it look like they know what they are doing (with an overly rigid plan) and fighting entropy.

Damn well put Dyna-X. ;) It's one of the things that got me hooked when I first started listening.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dyna-X on November 01, 2015, 12:07:53 AM

Well put.  Maybe that's why he didn't play BOC's "Don't Fear the Reaper" on "Dead Air."  Too obvious?  He plays it quite a bit so I was a little surprised it didn't show up for the Halloween show.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 01, 2015, 03:50:01 AM
What newer music (2013-2015) is Art playing? I've heard some newer stuff (Arcade Fire?) but can't remember names.

So far Big Black Delta "Capsize" (2013) and just outside of your date range Harry Gregson-Williams -"Jake Lonegran - Cowboys and Aliens" (2011).  Coast has been playing Arcade Fire - Deep Blue (2010) as of late, but to the best of my knowledge Art has never played it.

Dyna-X

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 01, 2015, 06:37:29 AM
Damn well put Dyna-X. ;) It's one of the things that got me hooked when I first started listening.

Thanks! He is an interesting study, isn't he? The reason he feels comfortable to talk to is he speaks in normal conversation, more like a friendly uncle rather than a hypey host that tries to be cool or on the other extreme a scholarly NPR interviewer. He's being honest from the bottom of his heart when he advises future hosts to just be themselves and to go with the flow.

Dyna-X

Quote from: ItsOver on November 01, 2015, 09:30:29 AM
Well put.  Maybe that's why he didn't play BOC's "Don't Fear the Reaper" on "Dead Air."  Too obvious?  He plays it quite a bit so I was a little surprised it didn't show up for the Halloween show.

Thanks. I think you have guessed correctly. Don't Fear the reaper will either be played in randomness or most likely on the next show with a topic like asteroids or radiation, something that might doom us all, but will be mixed in with ABBA to lighten the mood.  There is a certain "DJ Instinct" that when things are getting too tense to play something calming and vice versa.  Its very much an in the moment thing that only a DJ could explain. Instinct being the key word. Like after reading a dooming guests bio Don't fear the Reaper is a good choice as a tension builder just before going to break and bringing him/her on.