• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: Laurakinch on January 07, 2015, 12:14:51 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but please check out on Netflix:
"Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)" - A superb documentary for any fan of popular music of the 60s and 70s or later.  Even if you are not familiar with the genius of Harry Nilsson, you owe it to yourself to view this film if you at all appreciate Pop Music (not the garbage fobbed off as music today).

Nilsson Schmilsson. 

;)

paladin1991

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on January 04, 2015, 04:54:28 PM
I can understand some of the cornball "funny guy" parts Rogen gets, but a romantic lead? Please.

When I see this guy, I see a fat Pauly Shore. God knows what ever became of him.
Pauly?  Got fat, changed his name.  Wait a minute!  You don't think.....

zeebo

Quote from: paladin1991 on January 08, 2015, 02:42:45 PM
Pauly?  Got fat, changed his name.  Wait a minute!  You don't think.....

I thought he got stuck in the Bio-Dome and never got out.

From Noon till Three on the *this* network (I wish the idiots who run it would capitalize the name because it's a pain to type without making it look like a typo).  It's a really cleverly written romantic comedy Western starring Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland.  It doesn't seem to be well known, because I've seen it only three or four times on TV in the past couple of decades or so.  That's a shame because it's a fun movie with Bronson playing against his usual tough guy type and actually doing some pretty good light comedy, although I've long thought he was a much better actor than he generally gets credit for.

If you're not familiar with it, check it out here but be alert for spoilers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074553/

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 08, 2015, 03:11:07 PM
From Noon till Three

I watch that every time I see it on the grid.  Great!  That song stays with you for days.... 8)
"Graham Dorsey was six-foot-four and the handsomest man I ever knew!"

Quote from: Treading Water on January 08, 2015, 03:33:08 PM

I watch that every time I see it on the grid.  Great!  That song stays with you for days.... 8)
"Graham Dorsey was six-foot-four and the handsomest man I ever knew!"

;D   It's nice to find someone else who's seen it, because nobody I know ever has (and I've asked a lot of people). I'm really surprised it isn't more popular.

I think it makes some great observations on how much hack writers sensationalized, distorted and downright fabricated real events, and how their stories often became accepted historical fact even years later. 

Who knew Charlie OR Jill had such great comic timing??

I get the same wide-eyed "Whaaa?" every time I bring it up in conversation. 
;D ;D

Quote from: Treading Water on January 08, 2015, 04:23:41 PM
Who knew Charlie OR Jill had such great comic timing??

I get the same wide-eyed "Whaaa?" every time I bring it up in conversation. 
;D ;D

Having Bronson wear those little spectacles was a nice touch, too!

b_dubb

"American: The Bill Hicks Story". Fucking excellent. Recommended. HIGHLY recommended.

Heather Wade

Aliens on the Moon:  The Truth Exposed.  Just started it and & ready for the crazy to begin.

Delphi

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 09, 2015, 07:45:46 PM
Aliens on the Moon:  The Truth Exposed.  Just started it and & ready for the crazy to begin.
That's a good one,  I enjoyed it alot

Eddie Coyle

I was drunk enough to sit still for 90 minutes and thoroughly enjoy Beware of Mr Baker.

Wuthering Heights (1939).  Merle, Laurence, David.... :'( :'(

"Haunt me, then!  Haunt your murderer."

Kelt

Just watched Earth to Echo with ma boy.

Terrible movie, even for one that's aimed at kids.

analog kid

"Predestination" with Ethan Hawke. Based on "All You Zombies" by Heinlein about time travel being invented in the 80s. There's a lot of hoopla about it going around and I thought it was pretty good, but the less one knows about it the better. The plot depicted in it isn't possible though, as far as I can tell.

b_dubb

Quote from: analog kid on January 11, 2015, 09:17:07 PM
"Predestination" with Ethan Hawke. Based on "All You Zombies" by Heinlein about time travel being invented in the 80s. There's a lot of hoopla about it going around and I thought it was pretty good, but the less one knows about it the better. The plot depicted in it isn't possible though, as far as I can tell.
That looks interesting. Kind of like Heinlein. Cracks me up how people use "grok" but don't realize it comes from "Stranger In A Strange Land" half the time.

analog kid

Quote from: b_dubb on January 11, 2015, 09:30:25 PM
That looks interesting. Kind of like Heinlein. Cracks me up how people use "grok" but don't realize it comes from "Stranger In A Strange Land" half the time.

Haven't seen that word used in a while. Pretty sure it was popular with computer geeks in the 90s and it's still some kind of programming jargon if I'm not mistaken. I hear g2g.fm is a website though, but I can neither confirm nor deny.

A few Bob Hoskins Movie

Long Good Friday (1980)
Mona Lisa (1985)
Hollywoodland (2006)

All of them were excellent.

"Fucking hurts, doesn't it!" --question asked to Michael Caine in Mona Lisa.

Not a movie per se.
Just got finished with a 5 day "Andromeda" all five seasons marathon. First 3 almost 4 seasons  good , 5th Season  was pretty vapid.
I had not seen more than 2 or 3 of them  before.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 12, 2015, 05:24:06 AM
A few Bob Hoskins Movie

Long Good Friday (1980)
Mona Lisa (1985)
Hollywoodland (2006)

All of them were excellent.

"Fucking hurts, doesn't it!" --question asked to Michael Caine in Mona Lisa.

Love the first two films, and watch them whenever they're on. I worked with a guy who claimed to love "gangster movies" and told him to watch LGF. Fuckin' dope says "I had to turn it off after a few minutes. I couldn't understand what they were saying". I'm sure the plot was beyond his grasp as well. Goddamned Yankees.

3OctaveFart

Can somebody here explain Woody Allen's "humor" to me? This guy is as funny as jock itch.

And why does he get a pass and Bill Cosby doesn't?

coaster

The Imitation Game. A really good movie although not historically accurate.

analog kid

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on January 15, 2015, 04:43:50 PM
Can somebody here explain Woody Allen's "humor" to me? This guy is as funny as jock itch.

I don't know about his humor, but there's every indication that he's innocent of molesting his daughter and that Mia Farrow is a nut job who coached her when she was a child.

yumyumtree

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on January 15, 2015, 04:43:50 PM

[/quote
Jury's still out.

yumyumtree

The Ladykillers 1955
Under the Volcano 1984
North to Alaska 1960
Tree of Life 2011

I know I saw Tree of Life not that long ago,  but I wanted to see it again.

Heather Wade

Quote from: b_dubb on January 17, 2015, 03:29:07 PM
This looks interesting-"Game of Thrones in space"

http://cnet.co/1IP6Yvg

Looks to be great!  I can't resist a good space adventure.

sydtron

Today we watched Big Trouble in Little China. Also Camel Spiders.
Last night saw Paddington Bear at the movies. I reccomend that!